Rate the season

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Around seven seems fair.

If you really value the EL that much, you could probably knock it down to a six.

But I really don't, so it's seven-ish for me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In Fergie's times the rating would've been lower though.
No doubt (about that). Distant (enough) 2nd in the league (to a clearly superior team) - losing a very winnable final.

No more than a five.

Different times, though - different expectations (a concept some people seem to struggle with).

Dominos

5/10.

Postives are we improved from last season and we hit the bare minimum target of finishing top 4.

The negatives - the reason I'm not as enthralled at the 2nd place finish as a lot of others is our points tally was nothing impressive and our results were actually better than our performances, no one outperformed their xPTS more than we did this season. The performances are that of a team that is some way off being a genuinely top side. Getting knocked out the CL group stages is embarassing. I'm not too fussed about the domestic cups, and the Europa League we shouldn't even be in that competition so winning it would have papered over the cracks.

Remember the geese

League performance was pretty much as good as we realistically could have hoped for. Comfortably in the top 4 and deservedly the best of the rest. League Cup Semi final again. Lost to the better team, again. Tricky Quarter final tie in the FA Cup against Leicester. Rotated the side and came up short. One game too many was the general theme at the time. We had a difficult Champions League group, but the manner in which we went out left a sour taste, after so much hard work had been done. Obviously losing to Villarreal in the final of the Europa League is extremely frustrating and turns a potentially very good season into a fairly average one. As it is, I'm torn between a 6 and a 7.

TheLord

5/10.
A little bit of progress.

Miles off the quality of Manchester City in the League.
A forgettable Champions League performance.

If Liverpool played the way they did last season, we'd still finish third, like in the previous season.

youmeletsfly

5/10.
A little bit of progress.

Miles off the quality of Manchester City in the League.
A forgettable Champions League performance.

If Liverpool played the way they did last season, we'd still finish third, like in the previous season.
This for me as well.
UCL performance was abysmal, UEL final was abysmal and, to be completely honest, the EPL position is mostly due to other teams fecking up. We could have easily finished 5th, especially when considering the dire performances we put in at the start of the season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
6/10
since SAF retired my interest in United/Football has been waning season upon season. I really wish I had the positivity of some on here thinking it's the best we've played in a decade. Dull as feckin dishwater as a whole for me but each to their own.

Flying high

For United 7/10.

The season as a whole, 2/10. VAR and no fans has been really crap.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We are looking a bit better than last season and finished higher (2nd) but that's slightly skewed because most of the other teams were shite. Imagine if we put away relegation fodder like West Brom, Sheff United, Palace etc, we could have put up a real title challenge. We just seemed happy to be second without looking like challenging.

We made the Europa final. However, this was a game that should have been easily winnable considering the talent deficit.

In the end, the phrase that perfectly describes this season is: Missed Opportunities.

6/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
No doubt (about that). Distant (enough) 2nd in the league (to a clearly superior team) - losing a very winnable final.

No more than a five.

Different times, though - different expectations (a concept some people seem to struggle with).
It's just frustrating because if we beat some of the relegation chump teams we dropped points to, we could have actually been close.

Judas

Open to offers
6/10

Would have been 7 if we'd won the EL.

We improved in the league, but failed to win anything.

With the players we have, even though we've still got plenty of issues, we should be doing better. This was odd season though, so I'll cut them some slack in the league, because most teams weren't at their best due to the pacing of it all. Still underperformed, but glad we finished rightfully 2nd.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
5/10 considering the players at our disposal, and the collapse of teams like Liverpool and Arsenal and Chelsea’s Lampard era.

Top 4 should be the expectation with the talent in our squad and it was achieved.

For United, it’s unacceptable to go out of the group stages of the CL in the manner we did.

No trophy, peppered with some horrendous results and performances along the way would have given it a 6, but the mismanagement in the final against a far inferior side was abysmal, so knocked off another point for that.

I don’t think Ole’s contract should be renewed unless he does something really special next season.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
5/10. We have nothing to show for a long season where we played awful 85-90% of the time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
About a 4/5.

We still play poor football, we did terrible in every cup competition, but we at least finished second. Though it feels more like the time we finished 2nd under José where we were fortunate everyone else had underwhelming seasons rather than say Liverpool who showed they were ahead of everyone else except first, and were ready to win the following season.

Flexdegea

7/10 for me.

And everything we've been saying has came true. Was always about improving on last year to this year which is has happened on the league, with the main goal being a real properly challange for the league, obviously depending on recruitment this summer. But as things stand, it is going the way I was thinking it was to go, and I'm sure Ole plan the same.

Not going to lie the final really hurt, but we have lost finals before, best moving on and I hope it fires the players up for next season to not want to experience that again.

I know it would have hurt the manager. Let's hope he is backed this summer. I feel we are really close to city. In reality it the draws that hurt us in the end.

SAFMUTD

After the season Tuchel had I can't believe some people are grading anything above 6.

stw2022

5/10

Yes second but without Liverpool’s injuries or Chelsea’s folly at giving their club to a novice just because he’s an ex-player (imagine how silly they feel)we wouldn’t be there. Football deviates from terrible far too infrequently. We have no style other than prey the big players have a good game

OleBoiii

Anyone who gives a rating lower than 6 either think the cups are significantly more important than the PL or they had very unrealistic expectations.

In any case, it does explain why this place is so miserable.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We started dreadfully. Losing 1-3 to Crystal Palace. At home. Not that home or away really mattered this season given the absence of fans.
We lost 1-6 to Spurs. Horrible.
We started well in the CL but blew it losing away in Turkey & Germany.
City beat us easily in the Carabao.
Somehow we found ourselves top in January but we blew up afterwards.
Went out of the FA Cup tamely to Leicester.
List at home to Liverpool when a draw would have kept them from next season's CL.
Lost to a small village team from Spain in the Europa on penalties.
5/10.

SAFMUTD

Anyone who gives a rating lower than 6 either think the cups are significantly more important than the PL or they had very unrealistic expectations.

In any case, it does explain why this place is so miserable.
What are realistic expectations for you? Getting out of group stage in UCL is unrealistic? Beating a mid table team from Spain is unrealistic?

I don't know if you saw it but Chelsea just beat the all mighty football gods which Ole ins claim are impossible to beat.

OleBoiii

What are realistic expectations for you?
When we didn't sign a single clear starter last summer despite needing 3 or 4, and then seeing Chelsea and City strengthen so much(the former in particular), my only hope was to secure top 4. When we then got one of the toughest CL groups I can remember on top of this, I figured the season was absolutely fecked.

To see us practically sail smoothly up to 2nd place despite having no preseason and not really giving a shit about the last 4 games, is impressive. Our league performances is an 8 out of 10 given the circumstances. Our cup performances may be a 5 or a 6 overall(it's very hard to rate, as the nature of cups is "all or nothing"). But I put more value in league performances anyways. Hence: 7.5 out of 10(given the circumstances).

SAFMUTD

When we didn't sign a single clear starter last summer despite needing 3 or 4, and then seeing Chelsea and City strengthen so much(the former in particular), my only hope was to secure top 4. When we then got one of the toughest CL groups I can remember on top of this, I figured the season was absolutely fecked.

To see us practically sail smoothly up to 2nd place despite having no preseason and not really giving a shit about the last 4 games, is impressive. Our league performances is an 8 out of 10 given the circumstances. Our cup performances may be a 5 or a 6 overall(it's very hard to rate, as the nature of cups is "all or nothing"). But I put more value in league performances anyways. Hence: 7.5 out of 10(given the circumstances).
Chelsea's squad is not really above us, we are quite similar. They look better because they're better coached is as simple as that. When Lampard managed them they look like shit.

Yes UCL group wasn't easy, but we were 2nd favorites. It's not like we were the underdogs.

All the other things you say "including the circumstances" are just a bunch of excuses to try to justify Ole's failure.

The thing is the bar for Ole is so low that unless he falls out of top 4 he won't be classified by Ole inners as a failure. Shit if he had failed to do it many of you would had said it was acceptable because "the circumstances".

Commentary

7/10

If Liverpool hadn't been plagued by injuries and had Chelsea fired Frank Lampard sooner, United could have easily come in 3rd or 4th Leicester aside.

Bombed out of the Champions League and couldn't seal the deal on the Europa final...but they did finish 2nd nonetheless.

I'm sure United will do well next season, but after Pogba & Cavani leave, things could become problematic again.

dogwithabone

7. You have to say progress has been made as we finished higher and went further in cups but there is still gaping holes to plug if we are to go beyond a 7/7.5 seasons in 21/22.

dogwithabone

7/10

If Liverpool hadn't been plagued by injuries and had Chelsea fired Frank Lampard sooner, United could have easily come in 3rd or 4th Leicester aside.

Bombed out of the Champions League and couldn't seal the deal on the Europa final...but they did finish 2nd nonetheless.

I'm sure United will do well next season, but after Pogba & Cavani leave, things could become problematic again.
If my auntie was my uncle ....... teams having injuries are all part of the fabric of a season. What about the season before when we had injuries, particularly to Pogba. No Martial for long periods this season, Maguire missing for the final. Teams have a 25 man squad for a reason and its Liverpool’s fault if they had no proper, experienced cover at centre back. If we had fired some of our previous managers sooner we might have won more ....... if we had signed Messi and Ronaldo five years we’d have won more ...... I really don’t get your point ....... if, if, if, if if, if ...... means absolutely nothing and is a ridiculously hypothetical argument.

Butty19

6/10 for me, ok but could do a lot better.

While finishing second was probably unexpected at the start of the season I don’t think we’ve progressed much in terms of good performancesWe still struggle to find a way of winning against defensive teams, not only winning but even creating chances. This again was highlighted in the europa final. There’s been some terrible home performances and results but I suppose an empty stadium doesn’t help. But it’s an aspect of our game that we’ve struggled with for years, beating the low block.

The away record is pretty amazing especially considering the amount of games we went behind in, especially earlier in the season. But again, some of the performances weren’t great, grinding out a win rather than blowing teams away. But I suppose this shows character and a togetherness that has been missing pre Ole.

It was a disappointing end to the season largely because of the final defeat and the performance. The Liverpool game really pissed me off given that we could’ve stopped them from getting top 4, more the attitude of the players than the final result. The final itself was there for the taking if we had taken a few more risks. I can’t for the life of me understand why we keep starting with effectively two DMs against lesser teams. I can only hope it’s because Ole either doesn’t trust his centre backs or think Fred or McT can do the DM job on there own. Hopefully this will be addressed in the summer.

I still think we’re only 3 maybe 4 signings away from having a very good squad capable of challenging. I think Cavani solves the ST issue for another season. We’ve needed a RW since Nani got wrongly pushed out. I think it would give us better balance and also take a bit of pressure of AWB (who I thought largely had a good season). A quality CB to partner with Maguire. We’ve seen the last few weeks how important Maguire and a world class partner for him would massively improve us. Then there’s the DM position. We need to find the next Kante who can allow us to play with two attacking midfielders in a midfield 3.

I think the future is bright, some great young players coming through and hopefully some of the dross gets cleared out to free up playing time for them.

Water Melon

We started dreadfully. Losing 1-3 to Crystal Palace. At home. Not that home or away really mattered this season given the absence of fans.
We lost 1-6 to Spurs. Horrible.
We started well in the CL but blew it losing away in Turkey & Germany.
City beat us easily in the Carabao.
Somehow we found ourselves top in January but we blew up afterwards.
Went out of the FA Cup tamely to Leicester.
List at home to Liverpool when a draw would have kept them from next season's CL.
Lost to a small village team from Spain in the Europa on penalties.
5/10.
This.

FatTails

7/10

5 (CL qualification) + 1 (for finishing 2nd rather than 4th) + 1 (for going deep in the cups but not actually winning anything)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
5/10. Finishing 2nd is definitely progress and we’ve looked more resilient than at any point since Sir Alex. There seems a better mentality to the squad. But the football is still shite and 95% of games have been a struggle as the final was. Losing to Villarreal in a cup final for a club of Uniteds status is not acceptable

tomaldinho1

6/10

Dropped out of CL at earliest possible point and though 2nd is good, we aren’t close points wise to the winners.

Big improvement needed next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
7/10. Nothing to write home about, but there were some nice games, we've finished 2nd without any issues and cup campaigns were... adequate, I guess. In Fergie's times the rating would've been lower though.
Yeh. Post Fergie, it's a solid 7. A comfortable 2nd, with some good games in CL and road to EL Final.

Could be 8 if we won that damn EL, though.

Augustus Gloop

6/10.

A nearly there kinda season. I really hope the board back Ole with two top signings in the summer (more if there are significant outgoings) and I think we’ll take that next step.

Doracle

8.5/10 in the league - significant over performance with this squad. Often really enjoyable to watch. Still work to be done against low block teams.

7/10 domestic cups - good runs in both cups again. Losing to City and Leicester away with a weakened team is acceptable.

6/10 Europe - tough group but should have made it through after first two results. Good run to the final in the Europa and always some risk of not breaking down a team as negative as Villareal in a one off match.

Overall - 7.5/10. Good to excellent season but significant investment needed this Summer to push on.