Rate the season

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'd give it a 6. The Champions League was a huge blot on the season for me; extremely disappointing what happened there. Don't particularly care about the carabao cup, but I do like the FA Cup so to getting bombed out of that by Leicester was a blow. Obviously, the Europa final was shite. We never really turned up and the in-game management from Ole was atrocious, but we got there. I guess...

And then you come to the league, which is a strange one. We go unbeaten away all season which is quite incredible, but then that's juxtaposed with our appalling home form. We finish second, which on paper is a very credible position to finish when you consider the team that we're challenging. But it doesn't really feel like we finished second, in the sense that I don't believe that finishing second is going to propel us to a title challenge next season.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
8.5/10 in the league - significant over performance with this squad. Often really enjoyable to watch. Still work to be done against low block teams.

7/10 domestic cups - good runs in both cups again. Losing to City and Leicester away with a weakened team is acceptable.

6/10 Europe - tough group but should have made it through after first two results. Good run to the final in the Europa and always some risk of not breaking down a team as negative as Villareal in a one off match.

Overall - 7.5/10. Good to excellent season but significant investment needed this Summer to push on.
8.5? How would you rate us if we won the thing? 15 out 10 I suppose?

Adamsk7

7/10 for me.

Clear improvement in the league - unbeaten away all season, many great comebacks which shows our resilience and some great football played (and still some not so great). We’ve developed Greenwood further and integrated some young players in to the squad such as Amad, Shoretire, Hannibal and Elanga - all of which have shown great promise.
We’ve had a good EL run bar the final and generally had hard draws in the other cups, in which we had some good wins vs rivals but ultimately it wasn’t our year. Cup competitions are so very “on the day” and are no real yardstick of progress, other than big game mentality, which I still think we lack a little.
Going forward we obviously need to address the squad depth and improve most in three key positions - central defence, holding midfield and right wing. I’d like to see us also get a good back up right back, similar to a Telles on the other side.
If we can get some mentally strong characters in, as Ole seems to be doing with most of his signings, then I can genuinely see us having a title run next year. I honestly don’t think we are as far away as some would say we are.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'd give it a 6. The Champions League was a huge blot on the season for me; extremely disappointing what happened there. Don't particularly care about the carabao cup, but I do like the FA Cup so to getting bombed out of that by Leicester was a blow. Obviously, the Europa final was shite. We never really turned up and the in-game management from Ole was atrocious, but we got there. I guess...

And then you come to the league, which is a strange one. We go unbeaten away all season which is quite incredible, but then that's juxtaposed with our appalling home form. We finish second, which on paper is a very credible position to finish when you consider the team that we're challenging. But it doesn't really feel like we finished second, in the sense that I don't believe that finishing second is going to propel us to a title challenge next season.
Everything here is fair comment

Skills

Snitch
5/10

Got dumped out of the CL group stages and lost a Europa League final as overwhelming favourites. Still finished top 4 which I guess is the minimum requirement - and it was quite comfortable.

largelyworried

7. Plenty of excitement but also plenty of flaws. Still, if feels like we’re in a much better place than at any time since the yr SAF left.

Offsideagain

6 only because we finished first of the losers ie second. The team and management were not consistent. Ole took defeats too lightly, he should have been raging. Sits in the dugout looking bemused at times. The only advantage of finishing in the CL spot is financial as we will not get a sniff of winning it with this squad and this Manager. Sorry to say this as I liked Ole as a player, but he seems out of his depth. His continued selection of Lindelof shows this. The only way is up.

hubbuh

5/10

Got dumped out of the CL group stages and lost a Europa League final as overwhelming favourites. Still finished top 4 which I guess is the minimum requirement - and it was quite comfortable.
This is my feeling. A 5/10, likely a 6/10 if we win the EL. Top 4 is the bare minimum, but all of our cup campaigns ended in disappointment - Europe especially. Either progressing to the last 16 or winning the EL (obviously once we fumbled the CL) should have been a formality.

Commentary

If my auntie was my uncle ....... teams having injuries are all part of the fabric of a season. What about the season before when we had injuries, particularly to Pogba. No Martial for long periods this season, Maguire missing for the final. Teams have a 25 man squad for a reason and its Liverpool’s fault if they had no proper, experienced cover at centre back. If we had fired some of our previous managers sooner we might have won more ....... if we had signed Messi and Ronaldo five years we’d have won more ...... I really don’t get your point ....... if, if, if, if if, if ...... means absolutely nothing and is a ridiculously hypothetical argument.
Liverpool lost their two top center backs for most of the season, plus a back up. Plus their star midfielder, and still managed to crawl into the top 4, with an owner who has spend far less in the transfer market than United over the years.

Take Maguire, Lindelof, and Tuanzebe, out for most of the season, and Fernandez out for half, and see how United do.

My 7/10 appears to be the standard score on here, if you want to give them a higher score by all means do so.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
From where my thoughts were at the close of the transfer window, I actually feel we did far better than I was expecting. Expectations were a struggle to get into the top four and that was about it. So the comfortably secure second place, and end up in the Europe Final exceeded expectations.

Saying that, while we did better than I was expecting and we improved slightly, I don't feel we really progressed on our major flaws.

Rustyspider13

6.5/10. This is the most optimistic I've been about the team in a while. The flaws in the team are clear to see and if addressed we can push on. We need a big boost in mentality that can come from quality signings. We aren't as far away as many would believe.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
6 due to bottling the cup competitions. If Utd won the EL final, won the FA cup or got to the semi-final of the UCL I would say 8

SAFMUTD

8.5/10 in the league - significant over performance with this squad. Often really enjoyable to watch. Still work to be done against low block teams.

7/10 domestic cups - good runs in both cups again. Losing to City and Leicester away with a weakened team is acceptable.

6/10 Europe - tough group but should have made it through after first two results. Good run to the final in the Europa and always some risk of not breaking down a team as negative as Villareal in a one off match.

Overall - 7.5/10. Good to excellent season but significant investment needed this Summer to push on.
Good to excellent season...Christ...

Waynne

6/10 and it will be even lower next season If we don't improve because Liverpool have found their mojo, Chelsea is looking like title contenders and City is City.

We could be well out of top 4 if we don't improve and with Ole I have 0 confidence we'll win any trophies.

kudiak

Supports
Semen Padang FC
6/10.

We showed progress this season, in period November till January and March till April, our game play enjoyable to watch.
Fail to get silverware that hurt me. We couldn't perfomed well in big game, Group Stage UCL vs PSG & RBL, QF FA vs Leicester and Final UEL. It's need to upgrade mentality next season.
And the our windows didn't well, except Cavani.

Next season, i still hope we can get something from Ole and his progress, but if he fail, we need to seek replacement.

Le Red

6/10. We got second in the league after all.
City weren't phenomenal so we could have put up a fight but ultimately were too weak for that.
Bottled hard in the UCL group stage and the EL final.
The only reason why we're not giving 4 or 5 is because the previous seasons were even more disappointing though.

This is what has annoyed me for a while now. We never really seem to. We’ve had a massive injection of academy players (Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Henderson) but in terms of signings, Maguire, Bruno and Wan Bissaka are the only real nailed on starters in the team now that we’ve signed since Lindelof in 2017. We need to add first team players this summer, not squad options.

The last time we finished second and were tasked with closing the gap on city, we signed Fred, Grant and Dalot. Have to do better this time.
I won't hold my breath. Covid is still providing the Glazers the perfect excuse to not spend a dime. Damned be their names.

Polar

Results 6.5 /10
Building for the future 8/10
Professionalism 9/10

Kostov

6/10 and that considering how shit everyone around us was. Didn''t get out of the CL group stage, got spanked by Spurs in embarrassing way, same as the other cups, played absolute shit many many times in the league, and bottled everything at the end, while getting 2nd place thanks to how shit everyone else was. Not sure how much progress we made to be fair.

Red Rash

For me I would give the season a 7/10

Positives
  • Finishing second in the league
  • Europa league final
  • Bruno had another good season
  • Shaw was superb
  • Cavani exceeded my expectations
  • Greenwood started to look like his old self towards the end of the season
Negatives

• We didn't really come close to challenging City
  • The Europa league final was a disappointing performance
  • Some pretty poor general performances and we won due to individual brilliance too many times
  • Solskjaer continues to frustrate with team selection and subs

Reactions: lysglimt

Josep Dowling

Crap. People talk of progress but ultimately United should be winning trophies.

Second place and way behind first. Embarrassing loss in the second rate European Cup by an average Spanish side. Dumped out of the Champions League because of an embarrassing loss to a Turkish side. Home loss to one of the worse Premier League sides in 30 years. Our biggest home loss in Premier League history.

United should be only about winning and this has now been completely lost by everyone. Our transfer window last summer was the start of it. A better run club gets Sancho done early and we could prepare the season properly. Instead we make last minute signings, none of which could immediately play thus missing about 2 months of the season.

Progress is winning trophies and we haven’t done it for 4 years. That whilst Chelsea sack managers on a 6 monthly basis and still end up with silverware most years, and the biggest prizes at that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd give it a 4 or a 5. Personally cant believe are thinking of this as a 7 season.

It's been a forgetful season.

Galactico

I give it a 6.5 out of 10. Finishing 2nd is ok, but it wasn’t a title race to 2nd. The greater achievement was going unbeaten away in the league. It was closer to a Top 4 race than title so I’m seeing a team of bottlers when the pressure is on. Whether that’s the opportunity to mount a title challenge or to win a cup final.

I’m even less confident Ole can win us a trophy than I was last year. I always believed Ole was the right manager to get United back to their identity, recruiting the right players, with the United mentality and playing the United way. I think he’s done that largely, but I did not think and still don’t think Ole is the one to get these players overachieving and actually win the league.

Also, we did not seem to learn from going behind in most away games then coming from behind to win. It may show mental toughness, but it also shows we don’t learn from our mistakes.

Ratings in individual areas:

Goalkeeping - 6
Defence - 6
Midfield - 7
Attack - 8

Again, I judge the season by did I feel we were in a title race and for how long. The answer was not very long.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
5/10. Another trophyless season without a title challenge - blows my mind that there are fans rating it 7 or 8. Just goes to show how far standards have fallen over the years.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
7 or 8.

Nobody expected us to win anything with this squad, yet we came close on all fronts. (League, Europa, FA Cup).

If Ole was properly backed last summer, we'd have been even better.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
7/10 season for me.

Clear progression, but improvement required in a few other areas.

We're 3 players away from having a fantastic XI for next season, and I do hope we splash the cash as we've never been closer

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
7/10
A shite start because of no preseason, reasonably good from Sept-April and then shite at the end again which culminated in a pretty embarrasing loss to Villareal. Comfortable 2nd place finish were well above my expectations

A proper holiday, a good transfer window and hopefully the final loss can make the players even more determined and hungy next season

BFernandes

7/10
A shite start because of no preseason, reasonably good from Sept-April and then shite at the end again which culminated in a pretty embarrasing loss to Villareal. Comfortable 2nd place finish were well above my expectations

A proper holiday, a good transfer window and hopefully the final loss can make the players even more determined and hungy next season
Which most of our players won't get due to international duty. I'm just waiting for Maguire to aggrevate his injury on England duty to really top it all off.

BFernandes

4/10

League - in the end, we were never close to City or looked like challenging. Liverpool in disarray most of the season, Chelsea completely indifferent until Tuchel came in, Spurs shambolic, Arsenal were Arsenal. We had some decent runs but our performances against the top 6 were awful, as was our home form. 2nd is a sign of improvement I guess, but let's not kid ourselves into believing it was a close run title or we were a massive cut above the teams below us. Not quite as flattering as Jose's 2nd season (where we finished a ridiculous amount of points behind, but not far off)

Champions League - Dumped out in group stages. Tough group or not, we put ourselves in a superb position to qualify, and when it came to it, we bottled it.

FA Cup - real chance of a trophy, didn't turn up. Was in the middle of a real heavy schedule so not that surprising.

League Cup - I don't think anyone was really surprised. Out with so much as a whimper.

Europa League - it's only the final that matters, and we were shocking from start to finish. Against Spain's 7th best team.

In the end, I see the same issues with this team that I've seen for the last few years, and since Ole has been here. A lack of winning mentality when it really matters. PSG away was a great night a couple of years ago, as was a win or two against City, but if they're not in finals, and they don't result in winning something, they mean nothing.

Another season of false promises for me. With an inevitable ending.

Idxomer

5/10 sounds about right which is one grade higher than last season, so progress I guess.