Raul Jimenez suffers fractured skull

Santos J

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/20201130-update-on-raul-jimenez/#
Wolves have released the following update on striker Raul Jiménez, who suffered a fractured skull during the early stages of last night’s win at Arsenal.

“Raul is comfortable following an operation last night, which he underwent in a London hospital.
“He has since seen his partner Daniela and is now resting. He will remain under observation for a few days while he begins his recovery.
“The club would like to thank the medical staff at Arsenal, the NHS paramedics, hospital staff and surgeons who, through their skill and early response, were of such help.
“The club ask that Raul and his family are now afforded a period of space and privacy, before any further updates are provided in due course.”
Successful operation at least but it's not good for Jimenez., same thing that forced Ryan Mason to retire. Mad that David Luiz was allowed to carry on after the incident too, he still looked out of it for the rest of the half.

BarstoolProphet

Horrible injury, hope he recovers well:(

He's a real credit to this league so shame if he will have to retire.

Dave_MUFC

Guessing he will have to retire after this? Same thing happened to Ryan Mason, and it's not worth the risk. Shame for a player who only really became world class when he moved to Wolves.

DoomSlayer

I really liked Jimenez, even if he always troubled us when we play Wolves. I wish him a speedy full recovery, but such an injury could be career-ending. :( Really devastating news for the guy.

Nick7

Was a horrible sight. I hope he recovers fully. I don’t have high hopes for him getting back to football. The piece about Ryan Mason’s recovery and subsequent retirement was a hard read.

on David Luiz, football really needs mandatory concussion subs. He did all the tests and “passed” them yet still came off at half time and was still bleeding from the head while playing. Pure negligence.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Guessing he will have to retire after this? Same thing happened to Ryan Mason, and it's not worth the risk. Shame for a player who only really became world class when he moved to Wolves.
Damn! Hadn't really clocked it could be this bad - is this for real? Really sad for him if so - such a good, old-fashioned striker.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Was a horrible sight. I hope he recovers fully.

on David Luiz, football really needs mandatory concussion subs. He did all the tests and “passed” them yet still came off at half time and was still bleeding from the head while playing. Pure negligence.
Crazy he stayed on - is it the Arsenal doctors who did the tests do we know?

Santos J

Damn! Hadn't really clocked it could be this bad - is this for real? Really sad for him if so - such a good, old-fashioned striker.
Yeah, Ryan Mason had successful surgery and went through rehabilitation for it but still had to retire.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just seen the clip, that was a sickening sound as they collided.

Allowing Luiz to carry on was criminal, yet again the sport shows itself to be pathetically unprepared for handling concussions and that it doesn’t take them anywhere near seriously enough.

Dorris

This may come across as a crazy notion as I’ve not really seen it discussed anywhere else, but it’s been something I’ve thought about since the Ryan Mason injury. How is something like this in the modern game just seen as a ‘clash of heads’? You’ve got David Luiz (or Gary Cahill which was a better example) absolutely flying head first for a ball he’s never going to get to and ending his opponents career in the process. Yes it’s unfortunate and unintentional, but so are most leg breaks. They don’t even give yellow cards.

I remember when we played Southampton last season, Walker Peters did similar to Brandon Williams, got nowhere near the ball, whilst on a yellow card, and it was never even suggested that he should’ve received a second. Meanwhile Williams has to go off and we concede playing the rest of the game with 10 men. It just seems like a blind spot at the moment that needs to be addressed. If you go with that force for a ball you aren’t going to win and hurt an opponent in the process, then it’s a red card.

Dave_MUFC

Yeah, recovery time for Mason was around 1 year, and then when he attempted to come back the risks were too high so he retired, and that was at the age of 26, whereas Jiminez is 29 now, so not sure it's looking too promising...

saivet

Was a horrible sight. I hope he recovers fully. I don’t have high hopes for him getting back to football. The piece about Ryan Mason’s recovery and subsequent retirement was a hard read.

I watched Arteta's interview and he said the reason he came off at half time was the bleeding and it being uncomfortable for him to head the ball because of the swelling rather than there being any concussion. Even if that was the case it seems extremely naive to let him continue playing as concussed our not, that kind of clash of heads is going to shake you up.

Bratt

Same thing happened to Peter Cech, didn’t it?
It’s too early to make conclusions if it’s career ending or not, let’s hope for the best.
Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Dave_MUFC

Same thing happened to Peter Cech, didn’t it?
It’s too early to make conclusions if it’s career ending or not, let’s hope for the best.
Wish him a speedy and full recovery.
Completely different position and responsibilities though. Jiminez is expected to head the ball a whole lot more than a goalkeeper, who might get a hit in the face once in a blue moon. Especially someone of that type of player who's a big target man.

Even then, 1 year out at his age might hinder him too much to play at the top level again.

CM

Wish him the best with his recovery. It doesn't sound too promising but hopefully it isn't a career ender.

saivet

Apart from how they injury happened, what was the major difference between Ryan Mason and Petr Cech's head injuries? If Cech was on outfield player, would he have been able to continue playing?

big rons sovereign

Ryan mason had to retire but Iain Hume played on with plates in his head. I guess everybody's different.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Really awful injury. Can only hope it's not as severe as Ryan Mason's injury and it doesn't end his career, even if the recovery period is long. He is a great player to watch. If he is able to return, how do you rebuild the confidence to go for a header again after a collision like that? That must be a huge hurdle to get over.

And Luiz shouldn't have played on, it was ridiculous that he did. For a clash of heads, and particularly one as severe as that where you could hear it through the TV, the medics that enter the field shouldn't be club medics IMO. An impartial 3rd party medic employed by the league should be carrying out assessments and deciding if a player should continue. Not the club, and absolutely not the player. If its an important player, I believe (based on not very much at all) that a club medic will be under some pressure to give the thumbs up to the bench. Their judgement is likely to be clouded. It needs to be taken out of their hands as the first step of improving head injury protocol.

Luiz was still bleeding as the half time whistle went, I don't even think you need to be a medic to decide he shouldn't have continued. If you need to have your head taped up or stapled, you need to be off. There are no head injury heroes.

GledTheRed

That's probably a career ending injury which is such a shame as he was having the best spell arguably.

Get well soon Raul.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ryan mason had to retire but Iain Hume played on with plates in his head. I guess everybody's different.
True, but also preconceptions around major head injuries have changed quite drastically over a relatively short time period.

If there's any risk, he'll be told to stop/no club would risk it. I'm sure player insurance would also come into it.

Nick7

I watched Arteta's interview and he said the reason he came off at half time was the bleeding and it being uncomfortable for him to head the ball because of the swelling rather than there being any concussion. Even if that was the case it seems extremely naive to let him continue playing as concussed our not, that kind of clash of heads is going to shake you up.
All the more reason to have mandatory concussion/head injury subs similar to blood subs in rugby. The doctors had to scramble to wrap his head in bandages without giving him proper care. It’s possible he didn’t have concussion symptoms at the time but it’s still way way too potentially severe to just let a player get up and jog on after a clash like that. Take them out, give them a proper check up and take care of them before letting them back in if they’re ok.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Damn that's awful, especially as he's in his prime years. Just shows how fecking dangerous heading can be in the game. Maybe it really is time to make headgear mandatory.

Nick7

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This may come across as a crazy notion as I’ve not really seen it discussed anywhere else, but it’s been something I’ve thought about since the Ryan Mason injury. How is something like this in the modern game just seen as a ‘clash of heads’? You’ve got David Luiz (or Gary Cahill which was a better example) absolutely flying head first for a ball he’s never going to get to and ending his opponents career in the process. Yes it’s unfortunate and unintentional, but so are most leg breaks. They don’t even give yellow cards.

I remember when we played Southampton last season, Walker Peters did similar to Brandon Williams, got nowhere near the ball, whilst on a yellow card, and it was never even suggested that he should’ve received a second. Meanwhile Williams has to go off and we concede playing the rest of the game with 10 men. It just seems like a blind spot at the moment that needs to be addressed. If you go with that force for a ball you aren’t going to win and hurt an opponent in the process, then it’s a red card.
Yeah agreed it's a completely idiotic convention. It just seems to take us a very long time to come round to the idea that head injuries are more concerning than foot injuries in sports. The fact it's so avoidable in football makes it the most bizarre.

DoomSlayer

Yeah agreed it's a completely idiotic convention. It just seems to take us a very long time to come round to the idea that head injuries are more concerning than foot injuries in sports. The fact it's so avoidable in football makes it the most bizarre.
It's in no shape or form "so avoidable". In order to remove this danger to the players, you'd have to literally change the whole game completely.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
All the more reason to have mandatory concussion/head injury subs similar to blood subs in rugby. The doctors had to scramble to wrap his head in bandages without giving him proper care. It’s possible he didn’t have concussion symptoms at the time but it’s still way way too potentially severe to just let a player get up and jog on after a clash like that. Take them out, give them a proper check up and take care of them before letting them back in if they’re ok.
Luiz didn't look confused or anything but he did look uncomfortable which is of course normal if you're having to head a ball with a gaping wound in your forehead. But more than that, he'd be shook up and worried about Jimenez, I definitely think he should have been taken off and given an assessment after 10 or 15 minutes as to his mental and physical state. Concussion subs can't come soon enough.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

One thing that seems to reoccur is these head injuries seemingly always taking place from corners/freekicks going into the box via aerial routes.

It must be to do with the way players attack balls this way, when they know how it's being delivered. I think taking heading out of the game is virtually impossible, but altering the rules around corners could be an option.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
And Luiz shouldn't have played on, it was ridiculous that he did. For a clash of heads, and particularly one as severe as that where you could hear it through the TV, the medics that enter the field shouldn't be club medics IMO. An impartial 3rd party medic employed by the league should be carrying out assessments and deciding if a player should continue. Not the club, and absolutely not the player. If its an important player, I believe (based on not very much at all) that a club medic will be under some pressure to give the thumbs up to the bench. Their judgement is likely to be clouded. It needs to be taken out of their hands as the first step of improving head injury protocol.

Luiz was still bleeding as the half time whistle went, I don't even think you need to be a medic to decide he shouldn't have continued. If you need to have your head taped up or stapled, you need to be off. There are no head injury heroes.
Agree with this. It should be a neutral medic/doctor making that decision, and if they decide that the player has to come off his team gets a free substitution. That player then has to be monitored and tested properly over the next couple of days (once again it perhaps needs to be a neutral party) and if there's any sign that they are suffering from concussion they should be automatically banned from playing (and any contact training) for two weeks.

I don't agree that all head injuries that get taped or stapled have to come off though. Glancing blows can cut and bleed quite a lot while not being anything more serious,.

Hope he plays on but that's a horrible injury.

I can see football moving towards padded headbands in the same way they have shinpads.

Nick7

Luiz didn't look confused or anything but he did look uncomfortable which is of course normal if you're having to head a ball with a gaping wound in your forehead. But more than that, he'd be shook up and worried about Jimenez, I definitely think he should have been taken off and given an assessment after 10 or 15 minutes as to his mental and physical state. Concussion subs can't come soon enough.
Yeah I probably messed up saying concussion sub in my first post instead of general head injuries. But head injuries are so serious it’s not worth it. Get him off and make sure he’s 100% before letting him play on, simply for his own health.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Agreed. It's extremely reckless. Every player has a duty of care and to be responsible for not diving into unwinnable challenges. In the past it has always been difficult to police and convention has dictated that any clash of heads is just one of those things. But with the ability of VAR to unpick what happened it should be easier to split out the reckless challenges from the unlucky ones. In turn, dishing out a few red cards should start to change behaviours.

Dorris

It's in no shape or form "so avoidable". In order to remove this danger to the players, you'd have to literally change the whole game completely.
You can reduce the danger without changing the game dramatically. For me that’s a red card all day for Luiz yesterday, players see that and they hesitate to blindly attack balls from set pieces. I’m not saying any head collision is a sending off, but when there’s clearly an aggressor it should be acted upon.

Charge at a player, smash into him and break his leg: red card.

Charge at a player, smash into him and fracture his skull: clash of heads.

It’s bonkers.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

The way I see it, it's no different to a late slide tackle. It was incredibly reckless from Luiz and, like you said, he's likely ended another player's career because of it.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I think it's far too soon for people to start debating retirement and slightly unfair for the player too, I'm sure that's the last thing he needs on his mind.

While some players such as Ryan mason have had to retire there are also plenty to have made a full recovery and continue playing after fractures such as Michael Keane and Corry Evans in recent years.

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, a very likable player.

Skills

Snitch
Players welfare in general isn't taken care of in the PL. It's why the likes of Chris Wilder can hold the PL hostage over 5 subs and on top the likes of BT and Sky dictate when clubs play their fixtures.