Raul Jimenez

-Supreme-

Do people really think a new striker will make it big difference as this guy has similar asset to Martial in term of having a good touch, can hold the ball, bring others into play and drop deeper. This guy will cost 50m means he will not be a bench warmer and what will happen to Martial then? I’ll say use that 50m wisely to upgrade our no 10 or right forward/winger as those two position need to be upgraded first.
I rate Jimenez highly, and he will no doubt become our 1st choice striker.

I think it would be between Martial and Rashford to fight it out for the left forward position in a 4-3-3.

As it stands I don't think we can afford both of them starting for majority of the games if we have any aspiration to challenge for the League or even top 4, not until they prove us otherwise - and the key of this happening is by adding more quality in their respective positions.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We have to sign someone this January. Simply have to if we want to make top four.

We badly need a ten. But a striker would probably be the second on the list.

Then two MFs in the summer.

Ralph1386

We have to sign someone this January. Simply have to if we want to make top four.

We badly need a ten. But a striker would probably be the second on the list.

Then two MFs in the summer.
We can't wait until the summer for a MF. We didn't replace Fellaini and Herrera. Plus, Pogba and McTominay are both out for a while. We are absolutely bare bones. Shame Ole and the board let it come to this while we could all see this coming in the summer.

Irrational.

What did he say apart from «the window is open»?
Nuno: “This is the first time I heard it,” he said. “Ole didn’t mention anything about that. The transfer window is open. When it is open anything can happen. We are delighted to have Raul.”

Ole: “Another good player being linked with us. Loads of players are being linked with us. I can’t comment on speculation.”

Any other manager with one of their best players linked away would be quick to refute any speculation and emphasise how the player is not leaving. Both managers here have added fuel to the fire, which is a little suspicious.

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
The chances of us selling Raul in January are pretty much zilch as we'll have no strikers with Cutrone going back to Italy and our squad being very thin in any case. I suspect it'd take £50m plus and that would be during the summer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The chances of us selling Raul in January are pretty much zilch as we'll have no strikers with Cutrone going back to Italy and our squad being very thin in any case. I suspect it'd take £50m plus and that would be during the summer.
I thought that too for sure.

But Nuno saying anything can happen while the window so open was quite interesting.

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
I thought that too for sure.

But Nuno saying anything can happen while the window so open was quite interesting.
That's his stock answer when asked about any transfer rumours to be honest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's his stock answer when asked about any transfer rumours to be honest.
When else has he said that? It's still something major when you consider Jiminez himself wants to leave Wolves.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes. Not that long ago in mid December:

Jimenez said: "The most important thing for me is to keep moving forward. I am happy with Wolves, but I always have to seek something more and keep fighting.

"This has been the best year of my career - but I want more. I'd have to look at the conditions [of a possible move], if they suited myself, Wolves and the other club."

He's open to offers.
To me it's more than that. He's basically saying Wolves won't be enough for what he wants to achieve as a player. To be honest neither are we right now :angel:

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
When else has he said that? It's still something major when you consider Jiminez himself wants to leave Wolves.
Not sure where you've seen that. His Dad said how he'd like to play for a 'massive' club again at some point, that's not the same as him wanting out. It's inevitable he'll be linked elsewhere given how good he's been for us.

Nuno is always coy on transfer rumours. He never confirms or denies anything when asked by the press.

There's a chance we could see departures in the summer if we drop out of Europe, but I'd be absolutely astonished if any of our main 13/14 left in this window.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not sure where you've seen that. His Dad said how he'd like to play for a 'massive' club again at some point, that's not the same as him wanting out. It's inevitable he'll be linked elsewhere given how good he's been for us.

Nuno is always coy on transfer rumours. He never confirms or denies anything when asked by the press.

There's a chance we could see departures in the summer if we drop out of Europe, but I'd be absolutely astonished if any of our main 13/14 left in this window.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...o-santo-cools-fears-of-striker-leaving-wolves

Reportedly Jiminez said it in an interview with Marca. Nuno tried to squash it by saying he's focused on Wolves.

wolvored

Ole has already (wrongly imo) written this season off. Jimenez would be fine if he was 24-25 but he will be 29 next season and imo need to look at consistency so a younger striker will be better. We cant rely on Martial and Rashford to get 40+ goals a season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Hes 28 and will be 29 by the end of the season. He only has a few more years left at his peak level, and one last chance at a big club. If United are going for him now, that's his chance at it and if we push, I think he'll also push to leave.

From Wolves' perspective then it's down to what are the options. Can they replace gin if they sell now, is it financially worth it to sell now, how high will they likely finish with him vs without him (probably not a massive difference at this point, they'll push top 6 at best with him which isnt worth rejecting a potential big bid IMO).

Can see it happening this month, but itd have to happen soon and be somewhere around £60m I'd guess.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ole has already (wrongly imo) written this season off. Jimenez would be fine if he was 24-25 but he will be 29 next season and imo need to look at consistency so a younger striker will be better. We cant rely on Martial and Rashford to get 40+ goals a season.
Few players in the world get 40+ goals a season. They’re both good for double figures. Problem is what happens behind them — there is zero creativity in the side when Paul Pogba isn’t around.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He hasn't written the season off. He said this year's squad will evaluated when looking at next year's squad and that's something every manager will do. From that people just inferred a pile of garbage like "he's given up" or "he's written our chances off already".

jem

I don't know why we waste our time with this kind of transfer. The only way I could see Wolves selling, considering their league position, is for some astronomical sum, which I don't think a player of his age and skill would be worth. It's kind of the same with Maddison.

wolvored

Few players in the world get 40+ goals a season. They’re both good for double figures. Problem is what happens behind them — there is zero creativity in the side when Paul Pogba isn’t around.
I meant between them

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
Hes 28 and will be 29 by the end of the season. He only has a few more years left at his peak level, and one last chance at a big club. If United are going for him now, that's his chance at it and if we push, I think he'll also push to leave.

From Wolves' perspective then it's down to what are the options. Can they replace gin if they sell now, is it financially worth it to sell now, how high will they likely finish with him vs without him (probably not a massive difference at this point, they'll push top 6 at best with him which isnt worth rejecting a potential big bid IMO).

Can see it happening this month, but itd have to happen soon and be somewhere around £60m I'd guess.
On the contrary, he's been a journeyman for most of his career and has only really hit form in Europe since joining us. You'd be a lunatic to actively want to go and play under OGS too. If you had Poch, there would certainly be more reason to worry.

We'd not be near a top six push without him as integrating a new striker into Nuno's team would not be easy and we have nobody else. Letting him go now and falling away would run the risk of us increasing the chances of a Jonny, Neves, Jota, Adama move in the summer.

At the end of the day and as mad as it sounds as a Wolves fan, there's not much between us in a footballing sense right now and I don't see you improving in the short term with Ole in charge.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
On the contrary, he's been a journeyman for most of his career and has only really hit form in Europe since joining us. You'd be a lunatic to actively want to go and play under OGS too. If you had Poch, there would certainly be more reason to worry.

We'd not be near a top six push without him as integrating a new striker into Nuno's team would not be easy and we have nobody else. Letting him go now and falling away would run the risk of us increasing the chances of a Jonny, Neves, Jota, Adama move in the summer.

At the end of the day and as mad as it sounds as a Wolves fan, there's not much between us in a footballing sense right now and I don't see you improving in the short term with Ole in charge.
Him being a journeyman type is another reason why hed want to capitalize on his form to join a big club. His age plays a big role in this. It's now or never with him.
There might not be much between us in current levels, and I have no doubt that Nuno is a better manager and tactician than Ole is, but it's the prestige of the clubs. It's why Maguire left Leicester for United and why these players always end up joining the big club eventually. I think he'll actively try to come if we show serious interest, the part I'm not convinced on is Wolves letting go now vs the summer (that depends on the details of the deal).

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
Him being a journeyman type is another reason why hed want to capitalize on his form to join a big club. His age plays a big role in this. It's now or never with him.
There might not be much between us in current levels, and I have no doubt that Nuno is a better manager and tactician than Ole is, but it's the prestige of the clubs. It's why Maguire left Leicester for United and why these players always end up joining the big club eventually. I think he'll actively try to come if we show serious interest, the part I'm not convinced on is Wolves letting go now vs the summer (that depends on the details of the deal).
Sure, I'm not going to try and dispute that. I could potentially see it happen in the summer, I'd stand by my comment that there's close to zero chance in January.

theklr

Prestige and/or money.

RedDevilRoshi

Good player. Wouldn’t mind him.

Having said that, if we don’t sign a midfielder or two that we desperately need then I’ll be totally bemused. With McTominay out injured for a few months and God knows when Pogba will return, we hardly have no options. If Fred gets a suspension or an injury, we are then in a deeper midfield crisis than we already currently are in.

lysglimt

Scout
It is possible to sign many players in a transfer window, the moron in charge constantly briefs how difficult is to sign more than x players, or sign players in January, though. But that was not my point.

There are priorities in everything. What’s the fecking point in having 2 excellent strikers when you have garbage feeding them with zero quality behind them?
That is not the issue. The issue is - we need a striker as well as at least 1 midfielder. We have no strikers who score those tap-ins, we have no strikers who threaten in the air...which makes us very light at set-pieces.

Jimenez would be a very good addition to the squad - but of course we need a midfielder again. And I am convinced we will get at last one - we simply need to buy one with Pogba and McT out...so

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Apologies, I misspoke - it should not be spent on Jimenez. Your post illustrates exactly why - if we are looking for a striker it should be something different.
He is different. Provides a aerial threat, intelligent movement, linkup play and workrate which is superior to any forward we have.

fps

Always better having the option of something different. Players all have different strengths and tendencies, and you always miss what you don’t have. Even in a very well balanced and functional team there will always be occasions where things do not go swimmingly and where a change in approach is required, and having players on the bench which facilitate that is preferable to having like-for-like changes available.

It’s very unusual for two players to be in truly even competition for the same position. Normally, someone ‘wins’ the battle and assumes first choice. Where this is not the case, it’s usually because both players involved in the tussle have underwhelmed and neither has been able to make the position their own (see Lingard and Pereira). If both players are in fact excelling, then it’s an excellent position to be in if you have two players who offer different things and a manager can choose who would be the best option for particular games.
I understand but I don't see it. Origi and Shaqiri at Liverpool, Jesus and Mahrez at City, they have similar back-up options to attack who come into the team and are expected to play similarly.

Kostov

That is not the issue. The issue is - we need a striker as well as at least 1 midfielder. We have no strikers who score those tap-ins, we have no strikers who threaten in the air...which makes us very light at set-pieces.

Jimenez would be a very good addition to the squad - but of course we need a midfielder again. And I am convinced we will get at last one - we simply need to buy one with Pogba and McT out...so
We don’t create tap ins, we are dire in creating chances. We don’t threaten in the air because we can’t cross, look at our set pieces. Another striker won’t solve shit. We need at least 2 midfielders before we plan on a striker. We need a DMF and CAM, even a RW should be of higher priority than a striker.

Basement IPA

Supports
Manchester City
I know we made him look like prime Ibrahimovic last night, but why are we talking about a striker signing when we have Matic, Fred, Lingard, Mata and Pereira regularly starting in midfield? We need reinforcements elsewhere urgently, striker we have 3 excellent options.
Funny you mentioned Ibrahimvoic. He's very similar to him. Not as deadly of a finisher, but faster and similarly technically skilled and agile. I think he was trained in karate too.

DamoK

Would be a great addition, can't see it happening though. We need to sign creative players. It's worrying that we are not linked with anyone. I've an awful feeling we are going to have a January similar to last year

Cliche Guevara

He hasn't written the season off. He said this year's squad will evaluated when looking at next year's squad and that's something every manager will do. From that people just inferred a pile of garbage like "he's given up" or "he's written our chances off already".
Yeah the number of times I’ve seen people saying Ole has written this season off is infuriating.

Some people either don’t have a basic command of English or are absolutely pushing an anti Ole agenda.