Raul Jimenez

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Get him for close to £30m and I’d be laughing! Quality CF exactly what I think we’re missing. Experienced hard working and great CF link up play.

Ekeke

I don’t see the issue. 2/3 good seasons at least from him is enough time to develop Greenwood who would be 20/21.
Depends on the money. Wolves dont seem likely to let him go for cheap when they only just signed him up

2-3 seasons is a short time to pay off a lot of money

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Depends on the money. Wolves dont seem likely to let him go for cheap when they only just signed him up

2-3 seasons is a short time to pay off a lot of money
PL proven and all the traits we’d want from a striker. I’d rather him than anyone else on the market to be honest.

Hawks2008

Forgot that footballers die when they turn 30.

We're rebuilding, not every signing needs to be an 18-22 year old prospect with a view of being at the club long term. We should be targeting players like that sure but we have a lot of young players and you need experienced players in a squad too.

Wolves are minted so might be hard to pry him away but for the right price I wouldn't be against this signing.

gza the genius

29 seems like the perfect age honestly. More than good enough to start for us, but probably won't demand to, and will offer some experience while Martial, Rashford and Greenwood mature. He'll be declining and be a good bench option just as they are starting to hit their peak.

Price would be the only issue but with Ighalo seemingly leaving then we probably don't have many other better options out there with a similar profile.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Forgot that footballers die when they turn 30.

We're rebuilding, not every signing needs to be an 18-22 year old prospect with a view of being at the club long term. We should be targeting players like that sure but we have a lot of young players and you need experienced players in a squad too.

Wolves are minted so might be hard to pry him away but for the right price I wouldn't be against this signing.
One of the favourite fan sayings that - ‘position sorted for 10 years’. When you think of how rarely a player occupies a position in a team for a decade it’s even more odd. Then when you factor that even if that were an issue with Jimenez, we already have our theoretical 20 year plan still cooking I’m the oven with Greenwood so we don’t actually need a 10 year striker this summer.

Ekeke

PL proven and all the traits we’d want from a striker. I’d rather him than anyone else on the market to be honest.
So if Wolves say we've just signed him and we're very happy with him, give us £60 million or find someone else you'd say sure?

BiggusCrickus

Soild Premiership striker. But thats about it. We wanna develop Martial Rashford and Greenwood who will all go on to be better if not better already. So for me its a no players like Jimenz are a dime a dozen

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So if Wolves say we've just signed him and we're very happy with him, give us £60 million or find someone else you'd say sure?
No, but in terms of what would suit our squad perfectly I think he has everything we want in terms of mix of age, experience, ability and his play style. That doesn’t mean write a blank cheque and pay over the odds for him. So yes he’s the player rumoured to be on the market that I would most like us to sign as a striker but that doesn’t mean paying anything for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's a good player but not worth paying over the odds for. His goalscoring record isn't that impressive throughout his career and only really picked up since he's came to Wolves (even then it's good but not great). He has been fantastic in the Wolves system but definitely not worth spending loads on due to his age and those factors.

fps

Priority must be Sancho, or another starting right wing. I thought Ighalo was doing well as the alternative centre forward, was loved around the group, and could provide Martial with genuine competition. I would be very happy if those were our attacking additions for next season.
Jimenez seems a top player, but another new addition who might expect to start? I don't know.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Jimminez or Ighalo. We can only get one of them for the 4th striker's spot at the club, and it's down to these 2.

Who do we get?.

Ekeke

No, but in terms of what would suit our squad perfectly I think he has everything we want in terms of mix of age, experience, ability and his play style. That doesn’t mean write a blank cheque and pay over the odds for him. So yes he’s the player rumoured to be on the market that I would most like us to sign as a striker but that doesn’t mean paying anything for him.
Then I agree, if theres a sensible figure to find for his services then 29 isnt an issue. Its only an issue if, as I predict, Wolves will only cash out on an offer too good to refuse

ColvaleGoa

I am IghaloFc. I think he won't mind being in the bench and will give 100 pc when he is playing. Jiminez won't come cheap ,we will be better off spending that money somewhere else.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How many years does he have on his contract? If he's on a long term deal I can sort of see where @Ekeke is coming from, because Wolves probably don't need the money and Raul is a massive player for them on top. Unless his contract is ticking down, it may take a disproportionate bid which given other targets seems unlikely.

Ekeke

How many years does he have on his contract? If he's on a long term deal I can sort of see where @Ekeke is coming from, because Wolves probably don't need the money and Raul is a massive player for them on top. Unless his contract is ticking down, it may take a disproportionate bid which given other targets seems unlikely.
He's just signed for them permanently last summer. He was on loan before that before signing for just under £34 million

So for it to be worthwhile for Wolves to let him go after just recently securing him and to need to go look for a new top scoring striker, they're probably going to ask for quite a bit more than what they paid

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Then I agree, if theres a sensible figure to find for his services then 29 isnt an issue. Its only an issue if, as I predict, Wolves will only cash out on an offer too good to refuse
I think Wolves will know it’s there last chance to recoup the investment and put money into youth. Cutrone hasn’t worked out for them and Jimenez won’t want to stay at Wolves if a bigger club like United comes calling. I think Wolves could be tempted to sell now while he has value and reinvest.

They paid just over £34m for him if I remember correctly so given he’s just turned 29 now I’d say a similar fee should get him. I would much rather spend £30-40m on him knowing how well he handles himself in the PL.

I know he’s not considered prolific by some but I think his stats hold up well when you also look at everything else he does for Wolves

PL - 29 apps 13 goals 6 assists
Europa - 7 apps 3 goals 3 assists
Europa Qual - 6 apps 6 goals 1 assist

For me more importantly than the number of goals is the variety of opponents he can
score against and also the lack of dry spell. The longest he went without a goal or assist in the PL was 3 games and then he’s back contributing.

I think Jimenez is more the kind of striker we don’t have at the club but would bring Rashford etc into play a lot better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Portuguese press linked Wolves with Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius today.

I don’t see Jimenez moving though, Wolves will be seeing us as a rival and have no need to sell.
:lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Portuguese press linked Wolves with Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius today.

I don’t see Jimenez moving though, Wolves will be seeing us as a rival and have no need to sell.
We’ve been linked with Vinicius too.

DWelbz19

He’s alright if he can be bought at the right price.
——
Still, I am very much of the opinion that a front three of Rashford, Martial, and a top tier right winger will score enough goals between them to compete. Particularly Rashford, who I’m almost certain will burst into life next season.

Add in Bruno Fernandes who has 16 goals and 14 assists this season; 23 and 14 the season before; and 14 and 11 the season before that...

... And then think about adding Paul Pogba who got 15 and 10 last season; and 6 and 10 the season before that.

... Add then add in Mason Greenwood who has already got 10 goals this season in his first senior flight of football.
——
Think there’s bigger fish to fry in our squad. Goals will come when everyone is fit. I’m not normally ever this optimistic.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
——
Still, I am very much of the opinion that a front three of Rashford, Martial, and a top tier right winger will score enough goals between them to compete. Particularly Rashford, who I’m almost certain will burst into life next season.

Add in Bruno Fernandes who has 16 goals and 14 assists this season; 23 and 14 the season before; and 14 and 11 the season before that...

... And then think about adding Paul Pogba who got 15 and 10 last season; and 6 and 10 the season before that.

... Add then add in Mason Greenwood who has already got 10 goals this season in his first senior flight of football.
——
Think there’s bigger fish to fry in our squad. Goals will come when everyone is fit. I’m not normally ever this optimistic.
I agree there is bigger fish in terms of RW but I do think we need to appreciate we may not sign Sancho and so if we can’t solve the RW issue properly we need other ways to play and so regardless a back up striker or rotation player is needed.

So I agree Rashford Marital and Sancho has a lovely mix and great attacking threat but what if we can’t sign Sancho?

Injure Martial and you either play Rashford upfront which severely weakens LW or Greenwood who needs the pressure off him for now and time to develop. I’d feel much happier knowing we have another striker in the squad with a bit more experience and knows the role confidently.

Of course it doesn’t have to be Jimenez and if you told me we could get Sancho but would have to scrimp and save to sign a lower quality CF I’d take that over leaving RW unstaffed and signing Jimenez.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Wolves will know it’s there last chance to recoup the investment and put money into youth. Cutrone hasn’t worked out for them and Jimenez won’t want to stay at Wolves if a bigger club like United comes calling. I think Wolves could be tempted to sell now while he has value and reinvest.

They paid just over £34m for him if I remember correctly so given he’s just turned 29 now I’d say a similar fee should get him. I would much rather spend £30-40m on him knowing how well he handles himself in the PL.

I know he’s not considered prolific by some but I think his stats hold up well when you also look at everything else he does for Wolves

PL - 29 apps 13 goals 6 assists
Europa - 7 apps 3 goals 3 assists
Europa Qual - 6 apps 6 goals 1 assist

For me more importantly than the number of goals is the variety of opponents he can
score against and also the lack of dry spell. The longest he went without a goal or assist in the PL was 3 games and then he’s back contributing.

I think Jimenez is more the kind of striker we don’t have at the club but would bring Rashford etc into play a lot better.
The worry with him though is that it's taken him until 27-29 to do that as his goal record prior to Wolves is very average*. Especially at Atletico and Benfica. It could be that Wolves are the perfect club for him. I'd be surprised if Wolves would let him go for around 30-40m considering what they spent on him but he would probably be worth a gamble for 30m, anything over that would be probably better spent elsewhere. It worked for Ighalo who has a similar record to Jiminez in the past because it was a loan move and worth that gamble but you wouldn't be scrambling to pay 30m+ for him either I don't think.

*for a top striker.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Wolves are rich and ambitious, the financial consequences of the lockdown will not effect them as badly as some other clubs in the league which gives them an opportunity to improve further. Yet every other post in this thread talks about him being available for the right price/reasonable fee. Their record transfer, top scoring, star striker who has been an overwhelming success is available 12 months later for a 'reasonable fee'?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The worry with him though is that it's taken him until 27-29 to do that as his goal record prior to Wolves is very average*. Especially at Atletico and Benfica. It could be that Wolves are the perfect club for him. I'd be surprised if Wolves would let him go for around 30-40m considering what they spent on him but he would probably be worth a gamble for 30m, anything over that would be probably better spent elsewhere. It worked for Ighalo who has a similar record to Jiminez in the past because it was a loan move and worth that gamble but you wouldn't be scrambling to pay 30m+ for him either I don't think.

*for a top striker.
To be fair to him how his game has developed and the type of striker he is it’s probably no surprise he’s blossomed later.

I agree with you that when you start looking at fees of £30m plus for what would be a rotation player you need to be confident in their ability.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Wolves are rich and ambitious, the financial consequences of the lockdown will not effect them as badly as some other clubs in the league which gives them an opportunity to improve further. Yet every other post in this thread talks about him being available for the right price/reasonable fee. Their record transfer, top scoring, star striker who has been an overwhelming success is available 12 months later for a 'reasonable fee'?
Think the point people are making is if he is getable they’d rather spend money on him than someone unproven. But nobody here has said we definitely can buy him for X or Y just hypothetically we’d be happy for around certain fees.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
——

——
Half the goals scored by Fernandes and Pogba since the start of the 2018-19 season were penalties and set pieces taken for two different teams. When both play for the same team only one player can take any given penalty or set piece and thus the total number of goals scored by the pair will almost certainly go down.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Good player but like I said for dembele I don't see the point of spending past 40m for strikers putting in similar stats to Martial.

DWelbz19

Half the goals scored by Fernandes and Pogba since the start of the 2018-19 season were penalties and set pieces taken for two different teams. When both play for the same team only one player can take any given penalty or set piece and thus the total number of goals scored by the pair will almost certainly go down.
... Obviously. But they’re supplementary to a side that’s going to be combining their two goals (and strong assist ratios) together. It’s also not quite half of the goals by penalties. Pogba doesn’t take free kicks for us either. What one will drop in penalties scored it’s entirely possible he’ll pick up in more assists.

RyRoc

Really don't get the fuss about him being 29. Look at some of the top teams in Europe and the age of their number 9's:

Luis Suarez - 33
Karim Benzema - 32
Robert Lewandowski - 31
Christiano Ronaldo - 35
Edison Cavani - 33
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang - 30
Dries Mertens - 33
Dusan Tadic - 31
Diego Costa - 31
Sergio Aguero - 31
Zlatan ibrahimovic 38
Cirro Imobile - 30
Edin Dzeko - 34

Some of the very best clubs in the world first choice strikers are well into their 30's

DWelbz19

Agree with the general point, but it’s a total stretch calling half of those top no.9’s and that they’re playing for “top European clubs”.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Really don't get the fuss about him being 29. Look at some of the top teams in Europe and the age of their number 9's:

Luis Suarez - 33
Karim Benzema - 32
Robert Lewandowski - 31
Christiano Ronaldo - 35
Edison Cavani - 33
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang - 30
Dries Mertens - 33
Dusan Tadic - 31
Diego Costa - 31
Sergio Aguero - 31
Zlatan ibrahimovic 38
Cirro Imobile - 30
Edin Dzeko - 34

Some of the very best clubs in the world first choice strikers are well into their 30's
Half of those are not top 9s and the ones that are better than Jimenez and I still wouldn't splash past 40m for them