Raul Jimenez

ovoxo

Posted this in the transfer tweets thread.

Apparently Juve have joined us in the race. The article says both us and Juve want to take advantage of a depressed market to improve our centre forward options. It goes on to say Wolves are open to selling, at a substantial profit.

Considering they paid £34m, unless we get him for £40-45m somehow, this is a nonstarter in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kag

For a reasonable price, I’d be all for Jimenez. He’d fill the Ighalo void, with the advantage being that he’s the better player. I still firmly believe that we don’t need to spend a fortune on a striker; Martial and Greenwood need some really good competition instead. Jimenez is a great alternative to what we have, too. Like Ighalo was/is.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just can't see in way this is a goer, there are better options out there if you want a starting number XI to replace Martial and cheaper ones (Ighalo) if you want a backup

Mark Pawelek

He's on a long contract, till 2023. He will be expensive.
If he's first choice, how come he's 29? Shouldn't we be planning for more than 1, or 2 seasons?
If he's a 2nd string striker, why does he cost £53m, or whatever Wolves want?

Nothing wrong with the player. Were he in his early 20s, or half the price I'd buy it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really don't get the fuss about him being 29. Look at some of the top teams in Europe and the age of their number 9's:

Luis Suarez - 33
Karim Benzema - 32
Robert Lewandowski - 31
Christiano Ronaldo - 35
Edison Cavani - 33
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang - 30
Dries Mertens - 33
Dusan Tadic - 31
Diego Costa - 31
Sergio Aguero - 31
Zlatan ibrahimovic 38
Cirro Imobile - 30
Edin Dzeko - 34

Some of the very best clubs in the world first choice strikers are well into their 30's
The strikers you've mentioned have 4 or 5 seasons throughout their careers where they've score 20+ goals. Some have even more seasons than that which exemplifies their goalscoring/striking ability.

This is the first season that Jiminez has managed 20+ goals. There is going to be a little bit of reserved judgement for the price he would probably cost and the fact that Wolves is the only club which has worked out for him in Europe.

Ekeke

Really don't get the fuss about him being 29. Look at some of the top teams in Europe and the age of their number 9's:

Luis Suarez - 33
Karim Benzema - 32
Robert Lewandowski - 31
Christiano Ronaldo - 35
Edison Cavani - 33
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang - 30
Dries Mertens - 33
Dusan Tadic - 31
Diego Costa - 31
Sergio Aguero - 31
Zlatan ibrahimovic 38
Cirro Imobile - 30
Edin Dzeko - 34

Some of the very best clubs in the world first choice strikers are well into their 30's
And they're constantly looking for the next player to replace them

Ekeke

Whatever he would cost, and I expect it would be £45 million+, I'd much rather use that and more to sign Richarlison

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's on a long contract, till 2023. He will be expensive.
If he's first choice, how come he's 29? Shouldn't we be planning for more than 1, or 2 seasons?
If he's a 2nd string striker, why does he cost £53m, or whatever Wolves want?

Nothing wrong with the player. Were he in his early 20s, or half the price I'd buy it.
Ah, I see you’ve used the famous ‘dead by 30’ algorithm here.

Ekeke

Ah, I see you’ve used the famous ‘dead by 30’ algorithm here.
The "pay back £50 million in 3 seasons" method. No pressure eh, just gotta be scoring 30 goals a season from the first moment he joins the team

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The "pay back £50 million in 3 seasons" method. No pressure eh, just gotta be scoring 30 goals a season from the first moment he joins the team
Ah, you have tweaked your version to the ‘dead at 32’ algorithm.

Also...

A striker who joins a team and proceeds to score 30 goals a season for his first 3 seasons is not valued at 50m. He’s valued at considerably more.

Macedonian Red

Well if you're spending around £50m right now then I'd say Dembélé

If money is no object then and you can wait a year then Haaland
In this moment Jimenez is at least class above Dembele.
Haaland refused us once and if he continue to play like this Real M. Psg etc will knock at door. He has release clause 60m but for summer 2022. Next summer will coast aroun 100m.

Ekeke

Ah, you have tweaked your version to the ‘dead at 32’ algorithm.

Also...

A striker who joins a team and proceeds to score 30 goals a season for his first 3 seasons is not valued at 50m. He’s valued at considerably more.
No he's not, because he'd be 32 and you'll then be lucky if someone offers £30 million for him, not £50 million.

He would be worth more than £50 million if you signed him at 23 and then 3 seasons later when hes scored 30 goals a season he's now 26.

Jimenez is 29.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No he's not, because he'd be 32 and you'll then be lucky if someone offers £30 million for him, not £50 million.

He would be worth more than £50 million if you signed him at 23 and then 3 seasons later when hes scored 30 goals a season he's now 26.

Jimenez is 29.
Players are bought to play football, not bought to be sold. If a striker comes in and scores 30 goals a season for 3 years, he has provided value. He’d be worth more at 23 due to the expectation that he can score 30 goals for you for a lot longer than a player at 29. However, if a team wanted to buy a player at 32 who had scored 30 goals in each of his last three seasons, depending on his contract length, he’d still have good value. And even if you bought him for £50m and agreed to let him go for £20m, I think you might take into consideration the 90 goals he just scored for you when calculating what value you got out of the deal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wish reality is like our ideal world where we can just sign players whatever the age he is with any prices without considering it as worth the investment. If it was always the case, the club would have sign Perisic for £55m. So far, the price is shown for Jimenez in any sources is £84m. Even if we are trying to bargain, Wolves will still ask above £50m probably and the club will give up on it.

Both Jimenez & Martial aren't much different on current level means both will be rotated. He won't be playing enough games to achieve that "30 goals" a season, very difficult to achieve 30 goals without playing regularly week in week out.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I wish reality is like our ideal world where we can just sign players whatever the age he is with any prices without considering it as worth the investment. If it was always the case, the club would have sign Perisic for £55m. So far, the price is shown for Jimenez in any sources is £84m. Even if we are trying to bargain, Wolves will still ask above £50m probably and the club will give up on it.

Both Jimenez & Martial aren't much different on current level means both will be rotated. He won't be playing enough games to achieve that "30 goals" a season, very difficult to achieve 30 goals without playing regularly week in week out.
We all know Jimenez isn’t going for £84m.

For £50m I wouldn’t bother either.

Web of Bissaka

He's at his best playing as the first choice striker.
Goal stats are worse if otherwise.

1st choice and he'll be a 15 goals/season striker, include assists then minimum 20 goals+assists per season.

EngimaMK

Where did this "players are finished at 30" narrative come from? So enfuriating.

He'sRaldo

Where did this "players are finished at 30" narrative come from? So enfuriating.
We've had our fair share of finished players recently. Having experienced the likes of Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez, and maybe even Matic and Mata, it's understandable to be a bit apprehensive.

With that said 29 should be fine really. It usually depends on the type of player in question.

SweetRightFoot

Not happening.

Wolves don't need to sell and he's probably the most expensive he'll ever be now. Would prefer Dembele much more.

jesperjaap

Well if you're spending around £50m right now then I'd say Dembélé

If money is no object then and you can wait a year then Haaland
Dembele isnt worth £50m he is average I woul dargue Jiminez is actually better, not that I would want either. Also though would like him cant see Haaland as he has already turned us down and the Raiola factor. Think he will end up at PSG or Real for some crazy fee when he does move.

I disagree with your original statement of there being better options out there,not that I rate Jiminez highly though eh is doing well, I just dont think there are many really really good strikers out there at the right age as peopl ehave alluded to as you probably are saying yourself.

I wouldnt buy Ighalo but would extend the loan if possible to keep tabs on other players.

If we are looking at Greenwood as a striker long term I would probably stick as we are, if we are looking more as a number 10 I would probably just gamble on a relatively cheap young striker this summer Edouard, Lincoln, Vlahovic...basically somebody around the £30m or under mark with lots of potential, havent seen a great deal of any of the players mentioned in all honesty to really say we should go for any of them in particular. I just dont see the likes of Richarlison, Dembele, Werner as the right fit in terms of the player or the price tag. Unless we are spending a fortune on a striker for the likes of Kane, nobody really out there for me and I think our priorities this season at least because of that should be rw, cm and cb

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Dembele isnt worth £50m he is average I woul dargue Jiminez is actually better, not that I would want either. Also though would like him cant see Haaland as he has already turned us down and the Raiola factor. Think he will end up at PSG or Real for some crazy fee when he does move.

I disagree with your original statement of there being better options out there,not that I rate Jiminez highly though eh is doing well, I just dont think there are many really really good strikers out there at the right age as peopl ehave alluded to as you probably are saying yourself.

I wouldnt buy Ighalo but would extend the loan if possible to keep tabs on other players.

If we are looking at Greenwood as a striker long term I would probably stick as we are, if we are looking more as a number 10 I would probably just gamble on a relatively cheap young striker this summer Edouard, Lincoln, Vlahovic...basically somebody around the £30m or under mark with lots of potential, havent seen a great deal of any of the players mentioned in all honesty to really say we should go for any of them in particular. I just dont see the likes of Richarlison, Dembele, Werner as the right fit in terms of the player or the price tag. Unless we are spending a fortune on a striker for the likes of Kane, nobody really out there for me and I think our priorities this season at least because of that should be rw, cm and cb
I agree Dembele isn’t worth £50m and is a worse option but if reports suggest he could be picked up for £34m it might be a better financial decision which sadly we do need to consider. Haaland is as you point out a bit of a pipe dream IMO.

I’d agree with this too. There are not lots of option that are as good as or better than Jimenez. Jimenez has the style, experience and quality along with being a decent PL goalscorer (not saying he’s the greatest) but I think he’s more of a certainty in terms of potential success at United than Dembele or others.

My preference would be for someone like him as he offers everything I believe our current attack lacks (if we don’t sign Ighalo).

I guess we have a few options and prices I’d imagine they’d cost between.

Ighalo - £10–15m
Jimenez £40-60m
Dembele£35-60m
Edouard £20-30m
King £20-25m

What would people pick?

Jimenez is 29.
He’d be worth £100m+ if he were a 26yo coming off the back of three 30goal a season performances. We do need to consider value but also quality and what is lacking in our side. He’s the best mix of age, quality and experience that suits us.

£50m would be too much for me but £40m and I think he’s possibly the best option.

So Jimenez is the only striker we could get now?
Sigh... nobody said that I hate posts like this because look at the thread you are on. It’s the Jimenez thread so people will predominantly discuss him.
Whatever striker we end up signing will not be the only striker we could have got.
Just like any other signing.

Ekeke

I agree Dembele isn’t worth £50m and is a worse option but if reports suggest he could be picked up for £34m it might be a better financial decision which sadly we do need to consider. Haaland is as you point out a bit of a pipe dream IMO.

I’d agree with this too. There are not lots of option that are as good as or better than Jimenez. Jimenez has the style, experience and quality along with being a decent PL goalscorer (not saying he’s the greatest) but I think he’s more of a certainty in terms of potential success at United than Dembele or others.

My preference would be for someone like him as he offers everything I believe our current attack lacks (if we don’t sign Ighalo).

I guess we have a few options and prices I’d imagine they’d cost between.

Ighalo - £10–15m
Jimenez £40-60m
Dembele£35-60m
Edouard £20-30m
King £20-25m

What would people pick?

He’d be worth £100m+ if he were a 26yo coming off the back of three 30goal a season performances. We do need to consider value but also quality and what is lacking in our side. He’s the best mix of age, quality and experience that suits us.

£50m would be too much for me but £40m and I think he’s possibly the best option.

Sigh... nobody said that I hate posts like this because look at the thread you are on. It’s the Jimenez thread so people will predominantly discuss him.

Just like any other signing.
£40 million would be fine but I dont see why Wolves would sell at that price.

As for the price of a 30 goal a season striker at 30+, Aubameyang had over 30 in each of the last 3 seasons and 20 so far this season. One of them was 40.

How much would you want your team to pay for him? He's 31 next month.

Last edited:

Adcuth

As for the price of a 30 goal a season striker at 30+, Aubameyang had over 30 in each of the last 3 seasons and 20 so far this season. One of them was 40.

He's easily got 3 years at top level left, he'll get 20 minimum each of those year's, he's better than all our strikers. 60mil tops but I'd go that high

Stacks

Don't get the high desire to sign him. He is not a significant upgrade on Martial to be dropping 40 mill. Ighalo on load or for 10 mill is fine for cover along with Martial Greenwood and Rashford who can all play CF. As mentioned before, we would only need a striker if someone like Haaland became available or Icardi on loan (or cut price). Maybe Mbappe, Neymar etc

POF

Goal scoring is almost beside the point for Jimenez. With young exciting and inconsistent strikers in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood he would be the ideal foil.

He's an excellent mobile target man. He's athletic, holds the ball well, aggressive, works hard, good in the air and he has genuine quality. He's technically excellent, can play as a 9 or a 10 and is great at linking the attack. Almost everything Wolves do offensively goes through him.

He brings similar qualities to Igalho and most importantly provides something completely different to Martial. Almost every area that is lacking in Martial's game, Jimenez provides in spades.

Saying that, I just can't see it happening. He only joined Wolves permanently last summer and the asking price would be prohibitive.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Goal scoring is almost beside the point for Jimenez. With young exciting and inconsistent strikers in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood he would be the ideal foil.

He's an excellent mobile target man. He's athletic, holds the ball well, aggressive, works hard, good in the air and he has genuine quality. He's technically excellent, can play as a 9 or a 10 and is great at linking the attack. Almost everything Wolves do offensively goes through him.

He brings similar qualities to Igalho and most importantly provides something completely different to Martial. Almost every area that is lacking in Martial's game, Jimenez provides in spades.

Saying that, I just can't see it happening. He only joined Wolves permanently last summer and the asking price would be prohibitive.
100% this including the last paragraph. I think he’ll be priced out of a move.

They won’t get that much for him when he hits 30+ so now they can sell him and recoup the investment.

Aubameyang isn’t the kind of forward we are in need of does too similar a job to Rashford in our side. But if you’re asking me his worth he would be between £45-£50m surely for his goalscoring alone.

Don't get the high desire to sign him. He is not a significant upgrade on Martial to be dropping 40 mill. Ighalo on load or for 10 mill is fine for cover along with Martial Greenwood and Rashford who can all play CF. As mentioned before, we would only need a striker if someone like Haaland became available or Icardi on loan (or cut price). Maybe Mbappe, Neymar etc
I don’t want him as an upgrade more as an alternative who does a lot of what is missing from our attack.

I wouldn’t want Icardi at the club even if you paid us money to take him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

100% this including the last paragraph. I think he’ll be priced out of a move.

They won’t get that much for him when he hits 30+ so now they can sell him and recoup the investment.

Aubameyang isn’t the kind of forward we are in need of does too similar a job to Rashford in our side. But if you’re asking me his worth he would be between £45-£50m surely for his goalscoring alone.

I don’t want him as an upgrade more as an alternative who does a lot of what is missing from our attack.

I wouldn’t want Icardi at the club even if you paid us money to take him.
This is actually a good reason but I don't see them selling for less than 50m