Raul Jimenez

Stacks

100% this including the last paragraph. I think he’ll be priced out of a move.

They won’t get that much for him when he hits 30+ so now they can sell him and recoup the investment.

Aubameyang isn’t the kind of forward we are in need of does too similar a job to Rashford in our side. But if you’re asking me his worth he would be between £45-£50m surely for his goalscoring alone.

I don’t want him as an upgrade more as an alternative who does a lot of what is missing from our attack.

I wouldn’t want Icardi at the club even if you paid us money to take him.
why? He never fly kicked someone, had sexual intercourse with his brothers missus, ran from a drugs test etc. He just threatened a bunch of ultras. Something I fully support

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I trust the club not to get rinsed, more recent examples show that we'd pull out if the finances aren't right such as with Dybala.
I think for once I agree. Whereas before I feel we’d throw anything to get a name I think we’re in the best shape to negotiate given our improvement this season.

Ultimately I don’t see us being able to sign Jimenez for less than £40m but people quoting £74m or whatever it was is ridiculous.

This is actually a good reason but I don't see them selling for less than 50m
I’d be inclined to agree. I think however if we are unable to get Sancho this season it may be worth paying £10m more than we want for an extra attacker.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
why? He never fly kicked someone, had sexual intercourse with his brothers missus, ran from a drugs test etc. He just threatened a bunch of ultras. Something I fully support
First of all none of those incidents have bearing on my view of a player. I treat them based on what they show not what others do but I guess you want a justification so firstly Cantona was racially abused. Giggs is an absolute legend of a footballer and remained fully committed to the club (and his brothers wife) but is an atrocious human being who did this while at the club not before he signed. Rio again was already at the club.

All these things happened after they’d signed and it’s not just a threat to the fans it’s everything else with him in terms of attitude off the pitch and his “agent” who I’m sure you’re aware of. He’s also not the kind of striker we need as his build up game is shocking at times. He’s definitely a decent goalscorer but put him in the PL and I don’t see him thriving. He’s not quick, he’s not strong and he’s not agile he’s a poacher with baggage and I don’t want players like that in the dressing room you want people committed.

Web of Bissaka

Assuming we get him, will we bench Martial or him?

Ighalo don't mind playing second fiddle, but doubt Raul is fine with that though wages may convinced him to. His goal stats just like at Benfica will get worse though despite misleading high number of appearances.

Then there's the issue of potential high overprice demanded by Wolves. They have the long years contract advantage. High overprice and it'll be not worth it.

KennyBurner

Where did this "players are finished at 30" narrative come from? So enfuriating.
The way I see it most of us want a Franchise striker. Someone that can take over from Wayne Rooney. We had van Persie who didn’t last more than 2 seasons at his best. Ibrahimovic also that didn’t last more than 1. We are all still deciding if Martial can be our franchise striker but he has question marks over him. Most on the forum want Haaland to be our next franchise striker but it’s not clear yet.
So what’s the point spending 50 million on Jiminez if he is only a placeholder for our future franchise striker? That’s why nobody wants a striker over 30.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The way I see it most of us want a Franchise striker. Someone that can take over from Wayne Rooney. We had van Persie who didn’t last more than 2 seasons at his best. Ibrahimovic also that didn’t last more than 1. We are all still deciding if Martial can be our franchise striker but he has question marks over him. Most on the forum want Haaland to be our next franchise striker but it’s not clear yet.
So what’s the point spending 50 million on Jiminez if he is only a placeholder for our future franchise striker? That’s why nobody wants a striker over 30.
I think that’s understandable and yet we potentially have him in Greenwood who needs time to develop into potentially a “franchise” striker.

You been watching The Last Dance by any chance?

KennyBurner

L
I think that’s understandable and yet we potentially have him in Greenwood who needs time to develop into potentially a “franchise” striker.

You been watching The Last Dance by any chance?
Yes. The word Franchise is so American :lol: . Still it’s the dream for me personally to have a player like Wayne who we can all love and lead us to multiple silverware. He personally is my childhood hero and for context I started watching football attentively in 98.
Greenwood could very well be our franchise striker but he has to develop physically. That’s the only thing I’m worried about when it comes to him. Martial could also take the role if we keep building a consistent team. Martial always performs in a good team. His inconsistencies come when he isnt involved with the ball. That was why mourinho and his negative style wasn’t the perfect fit for the club.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
L

Yes. The word Franchise is so American :lol: . Still it’s the dream for me personally to have a player like Wayne who we can all love and lead us to multiple silverware. He personally is my childhood hero and for context I started watching football attentively in 98.
Greenwood could very well be our franchise striker but he has to develop physically. That’s the only thing I’m worried about when it comes to him. Martial could also take the role if we keep building a consistent team. Martial always performs in a good team. His inconsistencies come when he isnt involved with the ball. That was why mourinho and his negative style wasn’t the perfect fit for the club.
Go Soccer Team USA YAAY

jamesjimmybyrondean

Good post. I personally want either a franchise striker or a striker I can see as the no.9 of a top European side. Might be why Martial has so many question marks since he's neither

Stacks

First of all none of those incidents have bearing on my view of a player. I treat them based on what they show not what others do but I guess you want a justification so firstly Cantona was racially abused. Giggs is an absolute legend of a footballer and remained fully committed to the club (and his brothers wife) but is an atrocious human being who did this while at the club not before he signed. Rio again was already at the club.

All these things happened after they’d signed and it’s not just a threat to the fans it’s everything else with him in terms of attitude off the pitch and his “agent” who I’m sure you’re aware of. He’s also not the kind of striker we need as his build up game is shocking at times. He’s definitely a decent goalscorer but put him in the PL and I don’t see him thriving. He’s not quick, he’s not strong and he’s not agile he’s a poacher with baggage and I don’t want players like that in the dressing room you want people committed.
For me these are small things. Could not care less about what his wife says. You only pay attention to this stuff because it's on social media. What's his attitude like off the pitch?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
His wife is Mino Raiola with female reproductive organs. One thing is that we have players who use him as their agent, but we don't need a player who employs drama as well.

Stacks

His wife is Mino Raiola with female reproductive organs. One thing is that we have players who use him as their agent, but we don't need a player who employs drama as well.
oh really?? thats quite funny and strange.
I am more interested in the football side of things and I am never too fussed about the Mavericks or weird characters as many great footballers are dodgy characters or loud ones. So long as they do the job on the pitch and help us crush our enemies, I'm good

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
oh really?? thats quite funny and strange.
I am more interested in the football side of things and I am never too fussed about the Mavericks or weird characters as many great footballers are dodgy characters or loud ones. So long as they do the job on the pitch and help us crush our enemies, I'm good
We’re all more interested in the football side which is why we don’t want the distractions those players bring.

You can be weird and a maverick and be a positive influence like Ibrahimovic for example.

SAFMUTD

I dont think he’s got the right profile, of course his technique is great and he is a link up striker, but right now he’s 29 and is a main starter at wolves.

He’s reached his peak and will only decline, Wolves would demand a $40M fee for him at least, since they bought him for $35M, and I’m not sure he’ll fancy being a back up striker here when he can be a granted starter in wolves.

So long story short, great player not good enough to be a starter here but to good to be a back up.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've got too many positions to fill to spend 60m on a 29 year old. That would mean having to come back and restrengthen the role in 3 years time.

Stacks

I dont think he’s got the right profile, of course his technique is great and he is a link up striker, but right now he’s 29 and is a main starter at wolves.

He’s reached his peak and will only decline, Wolves would demand a $40M fee for him at least, since they bought him for $35M, and I’m not sure he’ll fancy being a back up striker here when he can be a granted starter in wolves.

So long story short, great player not good enough to be a starter here but to good to be a back up.
We've got too many positions to fill to spend 60m on a 29 year old. That would mean having to come back and restrengthen the role in 3 years time.
agree with these guys. CF is not an urgent upgrade, especially if he is not exactly better than what we have, will cost a bit and his age. I agree we haven't replaced Lukaku but it needs to be the right person

ghagua

If we were to spend big money on a striker than it would have to be to replace Martial. There is no way a striker worth his salt would come in to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Martial no matter how skilled Martial is. We would be better off signing Ighalo or someone similar to that backup role and spend the money elsewhere. If we were looking to offload Martial, then I pray a better striker than Jimenez is lined up.

KennyBurner

This guy is actually the back up striker we need. He is having a wonderful season. 18 points is a lot.

POF

This guy is actually the back up striker we need. He is having a wonderful season. 18 points is a lot.
If he was at United, I think it's unlikely he'd be a backup. He's a quality player.

RyRoc

Very very few strikers have his height , pace , linkup play , vision and heading ability , would say he’s not the most natural of finishers but he still scores goal. Think a top 6 side (with all due respect to Wolves) , certainly takes a long look at him this summer.

Web of Bissaka

On a more serious note, let's say we get a proper top CF like Jimenez or someone else in the future, and our RW is still a problem with or without Sancho.

*LW -- CF -- RW*
Martial -- Jimenez -- Rashford​

Think it's time for Rashford to finally make RW a position where he can excel in. Would also improve his overall games especially crossings, passing, speed play, trickery, one-touch football, vision and decision-making. His passing, vision and decision-makings are improving on the LW. But I'm still not satisfied that he have problems playing on the right consistency-wise. I also think Martial's best position is still LW and he's so much better in offering plenty more threats there against park-the-bus teams than Rashford.

But of course, Martial is growing and improving in his overall games in the CF role, so getting a top RW is still a priority.

I miss United having wingers that can attack in all directions, left and right ala Cristiano Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, etc. The closest to those level we get is Pogba who can actually play on the wings, either side. Then there's Williams and Dalot, and previously Young.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How much of his form is actually linked to Traore's ability?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
How much of his form is actually linked to Traore's ability?
They have both worked well together so to be fair Traore has some of the credit his crosses have been delicious recently.

That said Jimenez offers more than just goals a very good all round CF.

paulscholes18

CF is the last position that needs a 60m signing, he’s very good don’t get me wrong but don’t need him.

Lee565

He reminds me so much of what firmino offers liverpool as a striker

jamesjimmybyrondean

This is his best season as a striker. Martial in his first season as a striker in a long time is putting similar stats. Martial is 24 Jimenez is 29. We should only go after him If he's cheap 30m or less really

Pav1878

He didn't do any of those things, but he did have intercourse with his best friend's Mrs and then stopped him from seeing his kids and was a complete low life. So kinda get the hate for icardi tbh with you

jesperjaap

This is his best season as a striker. Martial in his first season as a striker in a long time is putting similar stats. Martial is 24 Jimenez is 29. We should only go after him If he's cheap 30m or less really
Yes people seem to be missing the fact he is 29 and at his peak now. Think he has done really well in the premiership this season and is a good striker, but not a great one. The age and probable costs involved, absolute no go for me.

wolvored

I think Jimenez suits the Wanderers as he is superb in a 100% deep counter attacking team. Since Bruno we have started to slowly change to a more possession based side that sporadically counter attacks from deep. Jimenez wouldnt offer anything different to Martial or Rashford imo. A Lewandowski Haarland type striker would be better. Someone who is physically strong and can hold up the ball. Someone who the ball sticks to. Even Aubemeyang would offer something different.

RazorOz

Talk of buying him as a backup is laughable. Wolves are under no pressure to sell any of their players, they will demand ridiculous fees. We aren't going to pay 70m+ for a backup. This is a complete non-starter to me. Not a significant upgrade on what we have and would cost an outrageous amount of money.

I don't know why people keep posting Wolves players like you will get a bargain from them, it's same with Traore in other threads. Their players will cost an absolute premium.

Teja

I think Greenwood can be that striker for us (Pace, Physicality, Hold Up, Finishing) and can push Martial all the way next season. We shouldn't relegate him to the RW just because we have no one else to play there for us.

Sign a RW and forget about this guy.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Totally agree. Would be a perfect signing.
He’s 29 years old and will probably cost 50m because of the inflation of intra-premier league transfers. He’ll want a four years contract, meaning he’ll cost us 80mm over the four years he’s here, at which point he’ll be 33. In the current financial climate, that’s a poor use of resources. I wouldn’t even be comfortable with it when we were flush. Especially considering that he’ll be a rotational option.

On pure ability and suitability, I would take him in a second. But I think the economics of a deal with Wolves are punitive, and any discussion on incoming transfers should be contextualised within the realities of the current economic climate and club sustainability. If we could get him for 25mm, max, and keep his wages heavily performance incentivised with a base of no more than 75-100k p/wk, and substantial appearance, goal, and milestone achievement bonuses; this would be doable. But I suspect it’d cost 50mm plus 150k a week.