Raul signs for Schalke

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why on earth are people laughing at this?

If he wanted a last big paycheck he would have gone to MLS like henry, or some saudi side. Instead he's chosen to go to a lower paying, less glamorous team - but a team challenging in a very competitive league where he can still prove his worth as a footballer. I'd say well done Raul if he actually ends up there.
I'm quite sure he's not making peanuts at Schalke.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think some people have got the wrong idea here, it wasn't a selfish decision by Mourinho, the club or Raul. Mourinho told Raul that he appreciates his status at the club and thinks he still could be a big influence at the club, especially for the younger players, but his time on the pitch is going to be gradually decreased as the seasons go on and he was getting relatively little game time as it is, so it was entirely up to him. The club was happy to continue playing his wages - which from what I gather have stayed at the top level for years regardless of form - and would continue to give him a contract until he decided to retire, but Raul decided against it.

He decided that although he loves the club, he understood the reasoning behind his proposed lack of game time and he would rather finish his career playing regularly, and so he had a decision about which club to go to. The reason he chose Schalke, I'd presume, is because they're a young team - Westermann(26), Farfan(25), Neuer(24), Rafinha(24), Howedes(22), Rakitic(22), Schmitz(21), Moritz(20) and Matip(18) all in the top 11 starters last season - and they're steadily improving, with a chance to be a threat in the Champions League and he'll know he's looked up to and that his experience is highly valued at the club, he'll feel adored for a time again.
Are Shalke the Spurs equivalent in the Bundesliga?

Your reasons make total sense ... but he could have gotten all of the above factors had he moved to a club like Spurs. And surely the PL is a better place for him to showcase the final years of his talent in than the Bundesliga ... if only because it attracts a bigger global audience.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Are Shalke the Spurs equivalent in the Bundesliga?

Your reasons make total sense ... but he could have gotten all of the above factors had he moved to a club like Spurs. And surely the PL is a better place for him to showcase the final years of his talent in than the Bundesliga ... if only because it attracts a bigger global audience.
I think Schalke and Spurs are fairly similar in stature, I can understand his reluctance to take part in the overly physical PL. However I think Serie A would be the best place for him to "showcase" his final years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Why on earth are people laughing at this?

If he wanted a last big paycheck he would have gone to MLS like henry, or some saudi side. Instead he's chosen to go to a lower paying, less glamorous team - but a team challenging in a very competitive league where he can still prove his worth as a footballer. I'd say well done Raul if he actually ends up there.
People aren't laughing at this, only Boss and Ramshock. Boss is a tard when it comes to certain footballing aspects but I'm not sure what Ramshock's deal is, although I've seen him tarding around here before.

It's a good move. Sure he could have gone to the PL but I feel that Schalke is a better choice than Tottenham. They never know who to play forward so I'd never want to go there if I was one. Schalke is a young side, title challengers and playing in the CL. They have a great manager as well.

redpie

Why not Germany? They can pay top wages. It is the best attended league in Europe played in fantastic stadiums with great atmosphere. You also get a nice winter break to spend Christmas and New Year with the family instead of training and playing over the holidays like you would in England.
If I were Raul I'd pick Schalke over Spurs.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Marca etc are reporting that Raul is doing a press conference to announce his departure on Monday. They say that Raul needs 2 goals to match Gerd Muller as Europe's top scorer and that he reckons Schalke could be the place to do it.

Guti is doing his (expected to be goodbye) press conference tomorrow. It's believed he's going to Besiktas but until he actually starts playing for them I won't be making assumptions.

BaldwinLegend

Why not Germany? They can pay top wages. It is the best attended league in Europe played in fantastic stadiums with great atmosphere. You also get a nice winter break to spend Christmas and New Year with the family instead of training and playing over the holidays like you would in England.
If I were Raul I'd pick Schalke over Spurs.
You'd choose to live in Gelsenkirchen over London?

Not sure why people are talking about money. I doubt it's a factor to Raul as he's earnt enough surely over his career but surely PL clubs can more than match anything Schalke offer?

maldini

You'd think a player of his caliber and history for his club would receive a better good-bye. He should play one last game with Real, perhaps an exhibition match with Real legends and a big send-off ceremony.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
You'd think a player of his caliber and history for his club would receive a better good-bye. He should play one last game with Real, perhaps an exhibition match with Real legends and a big send-off ceremony.
He'll at least do a lap of honour at one of the pre season games and they'll do some sort of leaving presentation, even if he doesn't play - it won't go unmarked.

AS are reporting that Madrid are trying to set up their 24th August match as either a game against Schalke or some kind of World XI and will do the goodbye then.

For those looking up Gelsenkirchen he's apparently househunting in Dusseldorf, which I haven't been to in a while but seemed like a decent place to live last time I was there. International school for the kids etc. The Schalke manager has apparently been courting him for a while so he obviously did a good P.R. job.

Drifter

American
Not A Done Deal Yet

Outgoing Real Madrid icon Raul claims he is considering a move to the Premier League after he denied a move to Schalke 04 had been sealed.

Raul, 33, had been heavily linked with an imminent move to the Bundesliga outfit after securing his release from Real. This deal was believed to have frustrated the Premier League pack chasing the signature of the striker, who scored a club record 323 goals in 740 appearances with los Blancos.

Speaking as he made an emotional farewell to the Santiago Bernabeu, Raul gave encouragement to Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Manchester United that a deal could still be done.

"The German team [Schalke 04] is interested in me and I have had very deep discussions with them," Raul said, according to the Press Association.

"In a few days I will know whether I'll be going to the Bundesliga, but there are other teams that are also interested. What is clear is that my future lies in Germany or England."

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hope Raul comes to the premiership, would be nice to see him play live.. I reckon Spurs should go for him, imagine having an experienced head around like that in and around the squad, and the London area would suit him.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I could see Villa snapping him up, would be more useful than Heskey.

MarkC

Really really hope we don't go in for him though can't see it personally. Not what we need i'd say just the Spanish slightly less injury prone version of Owen right?

MacMUFC

Hope Raul comes to the premiership, would be nice to see him play live.. I reckon Spurs should go for him, imagine having an experienced head around like that in and around the squad, and the London area would suit him.
Thats pointless, he cant even speak English...It would be like having an amazing £1000 bicycle with no wheels.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Would be good for a top 7 team in the Premier League, someone like Spurs. European experience.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Nothing official yet just whispers.
Are you the one whispering to yourself?

VivaRonaldo7 : "Hey I have a secret"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Oh what is it?"
VivaRonaldo7 : "I think Raul will go to Liverpool"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Wow that's big news"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Yeah but its just whispers so don't tell anyone especially don't post it on redcafe because they might think you are an attention seeking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime."

VivaRonaldo7 : "Well that's OK they already think that."

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Are you the one whispering to yourself?

VivaRonaldo7 : "Hey I have a secret"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Oh what is it?"
VivaRonaldo7 : "I think Raul will go to Liverpool"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Wow that's big news"
VivaRonaldo7 : "Yeah but its just whispers so don't tell anyone especially don't post it on redcafe because they might think you are an attention seeking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime."

VivaRonaldo7 : "Well that's OK they already think that."
:lol::lol: