Ravel Morrison | Derby player

Eternitiy

His goal for West Ham against Tottenham was absolutely incredible. It looked like he might reach his potential. I never really understood how he fell out of favour so suddenly and dramatically.

Highfather_24

Looks like he kicked the ball out anyway, so the fancy footwork was wasted.

I saw him on his United debut and was so excited to see how he would do. He looked like little boy lost playing with men.
No, he passed it to the overlapping player.

I dont think remember him playing horrible for United in his limited appearances. From what I remember, he outshone Pogba at the time.

You're not wrong, my point was only that it was slightly disingenuous to suggest there was nothing to him but tricks. He had it all at that level and was fantastic to watch..
Exactly this. Suggesting Morrison was not a huge talent at 18 or that skill is the only thing he did, is disingenuous, and plain wrong. Sure, he never lived upto his potential, but there is a reason he is still being talked about 10 years later, while his peers like Tunicliffe, Cole and Will Keane have been forgotten. Yeah he wasted his career, and he was a great talent. Both can be true. Saying he was not is revisionist.

Andersonson

His goal for West Ham against Tottenham was absolutely incredible. It looked like he might reach his potential. I never really understood how he fell out of favour so suddenly and dramatically.
I guess he didnt perform in training and they all saw that he aint a prem player..

He couldnt get minutes in a bottom half team in the swedish league. And some thinks he's better than dan james and could do a job for us... Facepalm

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly, he has done exceptionally well to drag out his potential at youth level for this long.

Derby will be the 12th team to pay him money to play professional football despite him not being good enough to play for any of them.

Instead of looking at it as opportunity missed, he has possibly taken full advantage!

Travelled around the world playing and getting paid by top professional clubs, despite not being good enough to play at a men’s professional level.

Ten years on from youth level and still getting trials at big clubs!

Good work if you can get it! Parallels with Freddy Adu.
Freddy Adu has had a better career which says it all

snk123

Overhyped. Overrated.
Never understood the hype. Not in the caliber of any top talent yet continues to be in that bracket.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Exactly this. Suggesting Morrison was not a huge talent at 18 or that skill is the only thing he did, is disingenuous, and plain wrong. Sure, he never lived upto his potential, but there is a reason he is still being talked about 10 years later, while his peers like Tunicliffe, Cole and Will Keane have been forgotten. Yeah he wasted his career, and he was a great talent. Both can be true. Saying he was not is revisionist.
The one thing that has been repeatedly acknowledged is the talent and potential he displayed at youth level, but what has also been stated is that what he did at youth level is irrelevant.

For someone claiming that others are being disingenuous, this an awfully disingenuous straw man you've constructed.

He's still talented and very gifted. Plays well for Jamaica (was motm for us versus Saudia Arabia away) and had a good cameo for us against Serbia. Our first draw against European opposition since 2001. The country loves him. He plays the way we love the game to be played.. He is coming into a group that has a family feel to it and people love and accept him. He needs that. Ravel was exceptional in The Mexican League. He can go back there or even Argentina or Brazil but he is obsessed with making it in Europe. Especially England so that he can be close to family. The ability never left. He needs to feel loved and Jamaicans have certainly done that. For us Jamaicans we call him "Lord Ravel" because he produces the miraculous for us.
I don't doubt he's doing well for Jamaica, and I understand he did himself proud in Mexico.

I probably agree with you that he could go back and do well in a South or North American league.

My post was in response to someone that had compared him to Dan James, but the sad fact (for Morrison at least) is that Dan James has accomplished and proven himself far more as a senior footballer, both at club and international level, than Morrison has and likely ever will, and a few good appearances for Jamaica and one good loan spell in Mexico in what is now 10 years in senior football is just testament to that.

dinostar77

Theres nothing worse in football than wasted potential. Ravel had the potential to go to the very very top. Possibly the best youth player in Utds history. First team players would go to watch youth games to watch him play. You dont hear that very often.

Will remain forever a pub what if? question.

noelyman

Overhyped. Overrated.
Never understood the hype. Not in the caliber of any top talent yet continues to be in that bracket.
Overhyped by Alex Ferguson, Paddy Crerand, Paul McGuinness, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Wayne Rooney (and the list goes on)? Do me a favour. The class and ability was there for all to see. That he didn't live up to the billing for well publicised reasons doesn't mean he was overhyped or overrated.

Tarrou

I'll get destroyed for this but here goes..

bring him back on a pay as you play deal

he loves the club, the talent is there he just needs an arm around the shoulder - Ole is the perfect manager for him

what have we got to lose? lolz

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Cool to see he's loved in Jamaica. They have a really exciting team at the moment too.

dinostar77

he loves the club, the talent is there he just needs an arm around the shoulder - Ole is the perfect manager for him

You dont want ravel anywhere near your club and your impressionable young players. He not PL now and maybe not even championship level. Time takes it toil.

Devil81

Can't wait for Ravel to retire, it's getting more and more painful seeing him fail at clubs.

The Dutch side he couldn't get a game at were near bottom three of their league, he's clearly never going to regain his fitness enough to be a decent level footballer.

Glorio

He'll play at Derby, Wayne knows quality when he sees it.
Hope he makes it at Derby. Really hope the United connection between both of them motivates him to actually warrant a place for one, and buys him a bit more patience with Rooney.

Varun1

I guess he didnt perform in training and they all saw that he aint a prem player..

He couldnt get minutes in a bottom half team in the swedish league. And some thinks he's better than dan james and could do a job for us... Facepalm
His downfall at West Ham was down to Sam Allardyce.

Revaulx

I saw him on his United debut and was so excited to see how he would do. He looked like little boy lost playing with men.
Was that the League Cup v Palace debacle? He looked utterly lost.

Pogba came on in that match as well and also didn’t look anything like ready. I’m not sure about the “men” though; the “senior players” on that occasion were a ragbag of out of favour squaddies who looked like they’d never played together before.

I came away very disappointed with both Morrison ands Pogba, while recognising that the conditions weren’t ideal for them to shine.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What's his excuse for the other ,god knows how many, clubs he's signed for then ?

It's amazing how well he's still done in life after pissing his talent up the wall, I give him that.

Last edited:

Devil81

No way was it to do with Sam Allardyce, I've read countless stories of West Ham players mentioning how Ravel wouldn't turn up to training or would come walking in an hour late.

His downfall was himself, Sam might have encouraged this agent they talk of but the reality is he wasn't taking his career nowhere near seriously enough.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Probably would have ended up like Pogba if he stayed and became half-way decent. The fans would get themselves into a tizzy over his commitment to the club etc.

Varun1

What's his excuse for the other ,god knows how many, clubs he's signed for then ?

It's amazing how well he's still done in life after pissing his talent up the wall, I give that.
No way was it to do with Sam Allardyce, I've read countless stories of West Ham players mentioning how Ravel wouldn't turn up to training or would come walking in an hour late.

His downfall was himself, Sam might have encouraged this agent they talk of but the reality is he wasn't taking his career nowhere near seriously enough.
I don't condone the other shit, but Allardyce had a big hand to play in the West Ham issues.

As usual, I hope he does well and reaches some of his potential.

As usual, I expect to be back here in 6 months when he fails.

Hes the everlasting what if? question.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Was that the League Cup v Palace debacle? He looked utterly lost.

Pogba came on in that match as well and also didn’t look anything like ready. I’m not sure about the “men” though; the “senior players” on that occasion were a ragbag of out of favour squaddies who looked like they’d never played together before.

I came away very disappointed with both Morrison ands Pogba, while recognising that the conditions weren’t ideal for them to shine.
But see the video, above, which makes him out to be the best player on the pitch.

RUCK4444

Can't wait for Ravel to retire, it's getting more and more painful seeing him fail at clubs.

The Dutch side he couldn't get a game at were near bottom three of their league, he's clearly never going to regain his fitness enough to be a decent level footballer.
This is the thing, he was never a decent level professional footballer. He was a talented youth player, nothing more, he not had any sort of impact at professional level.

Which is why I'm sick of hearing about him. He was very talented but like everything people have exaggerated that talent beyond what it was.

Highfather_24

But see the video, above, which makes him out to be the best player on the pitch.
I see you are incapable of moving beyong the binary of "best player on the pitch" and "lost boy on the pitch". He came on in the carling cup against Palace, played in a rag tag team alongside players like Macheda and Diouf, and played decently.

This is literally the only thing he did in football. Looks like he kicked the ball out anyway, so the fancy footwork was wasted.
Suggesting Morrison was not a huge talent at 18 or that skill is the only thing he did, is disingenuous, and plain wrong.
The one thing that has been repeatedly acknowledged is the talent and potential he displayed at youth level, but what has also been stated is that what he did at youth level is irrelevant.

For someone claiming that others are being disingenuous, this an awfully disingenuous straw man you've constructed.
Right. Sure.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Weird how some still pine for him.
What I don't get is we have some people on here claiming Rashford is overrated, yet also we have others on here wanting Ravel Fecking Morrison to come play for us.

A player who has scored 20+ goals for the past two seasons yet is over rated against a player who has never ever shone at any level of professional football....pure and utter madness!!

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

he loves the club
, the talent is there he just needs an arm around the shoulder - Ole is the perfect manager for him

No he doesn't. He was on an interview with Rio where he wouldn't shut the feck up about supporting Arse-

Ah. Right here is where I've seen the white text.

Disregard

Tarrou

What I don't get is we have some people on here claiming Rashford is overrated, yet also we have others on here wanting Ravel Fecking Morrison to come play for us.

A player who has scored 20+ goals for the past two seasons yet is over rated against a player who has never ever shone at any level of professional football....pure and utter madness!!
well there's thousands of users on here so with any one particular issue there's bound to be people with opinions that sit on the extremes

I don't think the Caf has ever agreed on anything, apart from James Corden being a cnut

Devil81

This is the thing, he was never a decent level professional footballer. He was a talented youth player, nothing more, he not had any sort of impact at professional level.

Which is why I'm sick of hearing about him. He was very talented but like everything people have exaggerated that talent beyond what it was.
I don't know, I think he displayed in his short period at West Ham that he had it in him to play at the top level. It was his professionalism that destroyed his career.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
I see you are incapable of moving beyong the binary of "best player on the pitch" and "lost boy on the pitch". He came on in the carling cup against Palace, played in a rag tag team alongside players like Macheda and Diouf, and played decently.
Whereas you seem to think he should come back to United and play instead of Bruno, or something.

Highfather_24

Whereas you seem to think he should come back to United and play instead of Bruno, or something.
No I think he lost his chance back in 2012. He is barely even a professional footballer now. But I also think he was a better player than Pogba back in 2011, and I dont have a problem with acknowledging both of these things at the same time.

Some feel the need to play down his talent at a young age, just because he didnt live upto it. I really dont understand why.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
No I think he lost his chance back in 2012. He is barely even a professional footballer now. But I also think he was a better player than Pogba back in 2011, and I dont have a problem with acknowledging both of these things at the same time.

Some feel the need to play down his talent at a young age, just because he didnt live upto it. I really dont understand why.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it mate :)

R_Cubed

I don't doubt he's doing well for Jamaica, and I understand he did himself proud in Mexico.

I probably agree with you that he could go back and do well in a South or North American league.

My post was in response to someone that had compared him to Dan James, but the sad fact (for Morrison at least) is that Dan James has accomplished and proven himself far more as a senior footballer, both at club and international level, than Morrison has and likely ever will, and a few good appearances for Jamaica and one good loan spell in Mexico in what is now 10 years in senior football is just testament to that.
I get your point. I disagree however. Dan James has proven very little at the international level. I think Ravel has mental health issues that he hasn't ever resolved or even acknowledged. For all of his issues I know people with his mentality. They need more than just a stage to perform. They need to feel loved and accepted. This group of Jamaican players...unlike past generations...care more about each other. I think Ravel has made bad decisions but people like Big Sam also failed him. I hope he has a good 3 years and a World Cup with us. When he retires he definitely needs to have therapy and help. There are deeper issues there. I hope he can have a convo with Ian Wright about mastering his issues.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I get your point. I disagree however. Dan James has proven very little at the international level. I think Ravel has mental health issues that he hasn't ever resolved or even acknowledged. For all of his issues I know people with his mentality. They need more than just a stage to perform. They need to feel loved and accepted. This group of Jamaican players...unlike past generations...care more about each other. I think Ravel has made bad decisions but people like Big Sam also failed him. I hope he has a good 3 years and a World Cup with us. When he retires he definitely needs to have therapy and help. There are deeper issues there. I hope he can have a convo with Ian Wright about mastering his issues.
What is there to disagree with?

Dan James has proven far more than Morrison, which is the point. The people he associated with as a kid at United and whatever it is Big Sam is supposed to have done to him are all in the past. I don't disagree that he should seek help if it's something that's still affecting him, but the fact remains that he's had a very lacklustre professional career.

Morrison made his professional debut in the 2010/11 season and has only played in 140 senior football matches at club level, and just 3 at international level. Dan James made his professional debut in 2017/18, a full 7 seasons later, and has already played in 115 senior football matches at club level, and a further 24 at international level. James has also just played for Wales in the Euros.

I wish Morrison all the luck in the world, and it'd be great to see him represent Jamaica in the World Cup next year, but it's simply incorrect to say that he's come remotely close to James' career.

Devil81

What is there to disagree with?

Dan James has proven far more than Morrison, which is the point. The people he associated with as a kid at United and whatever it is Big Sam is supposed to have done to him are all in the past. I don't disagree that he should seek help if it's something that's still affecting him, but the fact remains that he's had a very lacklustre professional career.

Morrison made his professional debut in the 2010/11 season and has only played in 140 senior football matches at club level, and just 3 at international level. Dan James made his professional debut in 2017/18, a full 7 seasons later, and has already played in 115 senior football matches at club level, and a further 24 at international level. James has also just played for Wales in the Euros.

I wish Morrison all the luck in the world, and it'd be great to see him represent Jamaica in the World Cup next year, but it's simply incorrect to say that he's come remotely close to James' career.
To be honest I'm amazing he's made 140 senior appearances at club level. I'd love to see the breakdown of those stats because other than a few loan spells and his Mexican journey he's barely played for anyone.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
To be honest I'm amazing he's made 140 senior appearances at club level. I'd love to see the breakdown of those stats because other than a few loan spells and his Mexican journey he's barely played for anyone.
He basically had two normal(ish) seasons in 2012/13 and 2013/14 where he was featuring fairly regularly (either off the bench or starting) for West Ham, or on loan at Birmingham and QPR, and he had an okay season in Mexico. He's been very much bit part everywhere else though.

He made his debut in 2010/11, so in 11 seasons of senior football, he's played in 140 senior matches (49% of which came in just two seasons - 2012/13 and 2013/14), and has averaged fewer than 13 appearances a season. If you ignore the two seasons mentioned there, he's averaging 8 appearances a season, and if you remove his season in Mexico, it's less than 6. He's played for 11 clubs, and made fewer than 10 appearances for 7 of them.

lsd

The Oracle
Are people really saying he is better than Dan James :lol:

Chairman Steve

It’s an annual event where Ravel Morrison resurfaces for whatever reason (usually trialing with a random club) and without fail there’s someone on here who’ll say that we should sign him and put him in the first team squad. :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
On a side note given the lack of money Derby clearly have for players and the ongoing saga of trying to find a buyer i fear Rooney is on a hiding to nothing there and would be better served looking for a new club as soon as possible

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Theres nothing worse in football than wasted potential. Ravel had the potential to go to the very very top. Possibly the best youth player in Utds history. First team players would go to watch youth games to watch him play. You dont hear that very often.

Will remain forever a pub what if? question.
That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum. And there's some stern fecking competition.

dinostar77

That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum. And there's some stern fecking competition.
Rio Ferdinand recalls one particular moment: “Sir Alex Ferguson, I remember, he called me and Wazza [Wayne Rooney] over one day and said: “look at this kid, he’s better than you, Rooney when you were a kid, he’s better than you, Rio, better than Ryan Giggs when you were kids. This is the best kid you will ever see.”

When legendary United defender Gary Neville was contemplating retirement, he had begun his first steps into commentary, beginning with MUTV.

He watched numerous youth team matches at Altrincham’s Moss Lane which would play host to the next generation of stars hoping to make the breakthrough. Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard also featured.

“Ravel Morrison’s ability was just a scandal,”
proclaimed Neville after one such performance. “He was playing in a midfield three with Pogba and Ryan Tunnicliffe. All of them were outstanding, but Ravel was the principal game changer.

He was an unbelievable talent, a Paul Gascoigne-type who could beat men and score some incredible goals. There are few players in central midfield who can beat people – Ravel could drift past them.”

Legendary midfielder Paddy Crerand was also watching all those reserves games for MUTV. He gave Morrison his highest accolade. “Ravel was the best youngster I’d seen since George Best,” Crerand told me. And he should know. He watched almost every game Morrison played for United youth and reserve teams while working for MUTV.