Ravel Morrison | Derby player

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Misunderstood? I'm pretty sure those hacks have said worse things about him on their shows.

saivet

Just watched it and nothing really new from the Rio interview. Him taking things for granted, having a difficult background, lack of work ethic or desire to be the best are the clear issues for me.

I've said it for a while, he had the ability but not the mentality to make it at the top level.

While he made it clear in the Rio interview that he'd change most of his decisions if he was to go back in time. In this interview he showed me that he's grateful for what he has had from football and isn't beating himself up over him not fulfilling your potential.

I guess we'll never know the details of what happened with Big Sam but it doesn't sound like he holds any bitterness over it. Perhaps naivety but better that way than holding huge regrets that you can't accept.

saivet

Has he found a club yet ?
He was or is on trial at Sheffield Wednesday but I don't think they are signing him. It doesn't make sense for them now as they are in a fight to stay up.

Maybe they will try to bring him in next season if he impressed.

Foxbatt

He was or is on trial at Sheffield Wednesday but I don't think they are signing him. It doesn't make sense for them now as they are in a fight to stay up.

Maybe they will try to bring him in next season if he impressed.
He always impresses in his football. It's the other issues that's the biggest problem.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Never knew he is an Arsenal fan. Won't lie makes me care about him a bit less.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Training with Rooney at Derby now, wonder if he'll feature in the pre season friendly vs United.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/13/form...CSS-7pKCTGH-49OtVUDVypPIT1NEzqOHem2AmkrY_9Kbg
Good for him. Thats his actual level. I wonder if they’ll take him on? He was never going to be good enough to make it in the PL after all the stop start to his career. If he gets a good season or two in the championship who knows but I reckon lower championship/league one is his real level now.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Good for him. Thats his actual level. I wonder if they’ll take him on? Powell and Wilson are in League 1 so it’s obviously no picnic down there. He was never going to be good enough to make it in the PL after all the stop start to his career. If he gets a good season or two in the championship who knows but I reckon lower championship/league one is his real level now.
Powell is established as a very solid player in The Championship. Doubt we'll see much of Ravel as usual.

OrcaFat

We should get him back. Could still do a job, methinks
I remember when I asked, on this forum, whether, at his best, Ravel was better than Dan James. I actually didn’t know the answer. But I was ridiculed (nothing new for me), with James being “much better”.

But, y’know, I still wonder….

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I remember when I asked, on this forum, whether, at his best, Ravel was better than Dan James. I actually didn’t know the answer. But I was ridiculed (nothing new for me), with James being “much better”.

Almost zero experience at the top level, very stop-start career in which he's pretty much never played any regular football despite playing for teams far worse than United, nearly 30.

Even if you'd never seen him, 5 minutes of googling tells you he's not even close. Whatever potential he had and whatever performances he put in at youth level have long been rendered irrelevant.

Highfather_24

The most talented player I've seen in the United academy. I love his style of play. He is the perfect #10. Hope I get to see another #10 with that style of play.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Surely quality football is best defined by quality of opponent?
Morriston bossing it in youth team games surely can't count as a higher level than James in the Premier league and internationally?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This is literally the only thing he did in football. Looks like he kicked the ball out anyway, so the fancy footwork was wasted.

I saw him on his United debut and was so excited to see how he would do. He looked like little boy lost playing with men.
I know what you are saying, but he did have some other amazing moments, such as that goal for West Ham against Spurs.

forevrared

This is literally the only thing he did in football. Looks like he kicked the ball out anyway, so the fancy footwork was wasted.

I saw him on his United debut and was so excited to see how he would do. He looked like little boy lost playing with men.
He was pretty spectacular that entire 10/11 season in the youth teams -- including a double at Anfield in the FA Youth Cup. There was far more to his game than dribbling -- you'd have to be blind not to have seen the potential. He just didn't pan out, likely more down to off the field decisions than on.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I know what you are saying, but he did have some other amazing moments, such as that goal for West Ham against Spurs.
Loads of players, most far less hyped than Morrison, have had a "world class" moment or two in their careers that they can slap on a highlight reel.

He's a romantic "what if" for United fans, but it's daft that every time he makes the news in any way people can't seem to help but go "he could still do a job for us".

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Loads of players, most far less hyped than Morrison, have had a "world class" moment or two in their careers that they can slap on a highlight reel.

He's a romantic "what if" for United fans, but it's daft that every time he makes the news in any way people can't seem to help but go "he could still do a job for us".
I’m not disagreeing. He is a moments player who you could probably make a wonderful YouTube video montage of, but no serious club would take him on because he doesn’t offer enough in general.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He was pretty spectacular that entire 10/11 season in the youth teams -- including a double at Anfield in the FA Youth Cup. There was far more to his game than dribbling -- you'd have to be blind not to have seen the potential. He just didn't pan out, likely more down to off the field decisions than on.
That last sentence is it though, isn't it?

It doesn't matter what he did at youth level, and it hasn't mattwred for a very long time.

I don't think Colin meant that the clip above was "literally" the only thing Morrison had done in football, but he wouldn't be wrong to say that the only thing Morrison has done is impress at youth level.

He isn't the first to shine at youth level and not fulfill his apparent potential (whatever the reasons for that may be), and he certainly won't be the last.

OrcaFat

Surely quality football is best defined by quality of opponent?
Morriston bossing it in youth team games surely can't count as a higher level than James in the Premier league and internationally?
I don’t disagree at all.

James is miles better by the only measures that count. And I like James, don’t get me wrong. When I first asked this question, James was getting torn to bits on this forum, saying he just didn’t have the required natural ability. Ravel is, by all accounts, the opposite.

forevrared

That last sentence is it though, isn't it?

It doesn't matter what he did at youth level, and it hasn't mattwred for a very long time.

I don't think Colin meant that the clip above was "literally" the only thing Morrison had done in football, but he wouldn't be wrong to say that the only thing Morrison has done is impress at youth level.

He isn't the first to shine at youth level and not fulfill his apparent potential (whatever the reasons for that may be), and he certainly won't be the last.
You're not wrong, my point was only that it was slightly disingenuous to suggest there was nothing to him but tricks. He had it all at that level and was fantastic to watch..

OrcaFat

Almost zero experience at the top level, very stop-start career in which he's pretty much never played any regular football despite playing for teams far worse than United, nearly 30.

Even if you'd never seen him, 5 minutes of googling tells you he's not even close. Whatever potential he had and whatever performances he put in at youth level have long been rendered irrelevant.
What’s googling?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Honestly, he has done exceptionally well to drag out his potential at youth level for this long.

Derby will be the 12th team to pay him money to play professional football despite him not being good enough to play for any of them.

Instead of looking at it as opportunity missed, he has possibly taken full advantage!

Travelled around the world playing and getting paid by top professional clubs, despite not being good enough to play at a men’s professional level.

Ten years on from youth level and still getting trials at big clubs!

Good work if you can get it! Parallels with Freddy Adu.

R_Cubed

He's still talented and very gifted. Plays well for Jamaica (was motm for us versus Saudia Arabia away) and had a good cameo for us against Serbia. Our first draw against European opposition since 2001. The country loves him. He plays the way we love the game to be played.. He is coming into a group that has a family feel to it and people love and accept him. He needs that. Ravel was exceptional in The Mexican League. He can go back there or even Argentina or Brazil but he is obsessed with making it in Europe. Especially England so that he can be close to family. The ability never left. He needs to feel loved and Jamaicans have certainly done that. For us Jamaicans we call him "Lord Ravel" because he produces the miraculous for us.

Reactions: Penna