Ravel Morrison | Derby player

dabeast

Morrison is one of many players to fall by the wayside.

would be interesting to know how much money he had made over the past decade? I suggest it’s more than most people make in a lifetime. :houllier:

the suggestion that we put him on our books at some side of gesture is as absurd as the Bebe transfer.

happy to support him, if he wants to raise awareness about the challenges of young players. But in no way should he be anywhere near the club in a playing capacity.
This was him 3 months ago as an international for Jamaica against the perennial World Cuppers, Saudi Arabia. He is dominating and, frankly, seems like he is certainly good enough for Utd.

His last manager at ADO Den Haag spoke very well of him last month. His attitude now seems spot on and the only issue was that they became a defensive team. He says that Ravel has a future and could really help a team used to dominating possession. Unfortunately, all those teams are big teams who are unlikely to take a chance on him.

I, for one would have loved to see him come on in our toothless attack at West Brom on Sunday and tear into them.

Thiagoal

Wow! That has totally changed my view on Ravel. You’d kind of (wrongly) assumed that he didn’t give a feck at United and was arrogant thinking he’d already made it, but actually he just didn’t have the belief to become a top player.

He just didn’t realise how good he was- which is mad given some of the comments SAF and the likes of Rio and Rooney were making at the time. Actually really feel sorry for him!

This was him 3 months ago as an international for Jamaica against the perennial World Cuppers, Saudi Arabia. He is dominating and, frankly, seems like he is certainly good enough for Utd.

His last manager at ADO Den Haag spoke very well of him last month. His attitude now seems spot on and the only issue was that they became a defensive team. He says that Ravel has a future and could really help a team used to dominating possession. Unfortunately, all those teams are big teams who are unlikely to take a chance on him.

I, for one would have loved to see him come on in our toothless attack at West Brom on Sunday and tear into them.
oh come on. He’s nowhere near good enough to play for United.

a ‘can Morrison do a job for United’ thread pops up more often than he actually plays a first team match.

United58

While it’s great to care about ex-players and give him all the support that he needs in terms of his well-being and mental health, it would be insulting to him, and all the other failed youth team players that have come through the ranks, to do something like this.

The fact is, no one is owed such a high profile career and only the best earn it. He wasn’t good enough and he has had multiple chances to prove the contrary.

Football, and even the premier league, are filled with examples of players who came from broken homes, problem areas and difficult upbringings.

Cristiano Ronaldo grew up in poverty on Madeira and his coaches described him as malnourished in his early years. Raheem Sterling was only 2 years old when his father was murdered and used to help his grandmother clean toilets before his classes. There are hundreds of stories like these.

It is very sad if his upbringing contributed to his failure to succeed and I hope the club can help him come to terms with a career that never was and help him stay on the straight and narrow.

I don’t think he does, however, deserve special treatment in terms of his playing career. He just wasn’t good enough, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Great post, thanks for a bit of sanity

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Haven't watched it, I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who got given his talent, yes he grew up in crappy circumstances, I grew up in a broken home, drug ridden teens and bad influences all around, abuse etc too, why can't United sign me? :lol:

Football is a business, he had plenty of people at the time saying how great he was, I'm sure his view is one sided, and I'm certain there were plenty of people willing to bend over backwards for him too.

At 28 he's lived in many countries, earned millions (probably) even though he's seen as a failure, he's had a good life all things considered - a life many who grew up in those circumstances didn't have a gift that he had to help them escape.

Drainy

Haven't watched it, I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who got given his talent, yes he grew up in crappy circumstances, I grew up in a broken home, drug ridden teens and bad influences all around, abuse etc too, why can't United sign me? :lol:

Football is a business, he had plenty of people at the time saying how great he was, I'm sure his view is one sided, and I'm certain there were plenty of people willing to bend over backwards for him too.

At 28 he's lived in many countries, earned millions (probably) even though he's seen as a failure, he's had a good life all things considered - a life many who grew up in those circumstances didn't have a gift that he had to help them escape.
You're all heart.

Red00012

He seemed like he had no belief in himself both mentally and on the football field at Utd. Big Sam comes across well what a cnut. Amazed to hear he had to rob football boots to put a Chinese on the table. It’s really sad that he’d change 90% of his past

As for the poster who says we should sign him on a free to do something good:houllier::houllier:

Drz

The part that annoyed me most is the West Ham bit with the contract issue. Even more disappointed we didn't beat Sam this sunday now.

0le

I attended CBT sessions for self-confidence. It is actually quite surprising how unaware you can be if you lack confidence until someone points it out and you start to consider it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Goes to shoe how important self-belief is, some people have too much of it and there's Ravel who seemed to have none despite being blessed with bags of talent.

Oranges038

The lad had a lot of talent. But really he's messed his career up, whether that's due to problems lingering from his upbringing, who really knows. He has said on the past that at Utd he would just skip training, he didn't know why, he just wouldn't go. What Sam said, he should have kept private, but at the time he did also say that they did try to help it.

He wasted his talent, so did Gazza, so did a lot of players. He's nothing special, just another player who couldn't cut it at the top.

Andersonson

Oh come on!

Good enough for United is a big big lie and you know it. He's never produced in a top league and never will. We can feel sorry for him and dream of what could've been. But lets be honest atleast.

Sad story, though. Hopefully he can use his story and become a coach or something

The lad had a lot of talent. But really he's messed his career up, whether that's due to problems lingering from his upbringing, who really knows. He has said on the past that at Utd he would just skip training, he didn't know why, he just wouldn't go. What Sam said, he should have kept private, but at the time he did also say that they did try to help it.

He wasted his talent, so did Gazza, so did a lot of players. He's nothing special, just another player who couldn't cut it at the top.
Gazza went to a World Cup. I agree, he wasted a large part of his career.

Morrison’s talent seems to grow bigger with every passing year.

Manoucha09

Would be the worst thing for him to come to United atm. Not only is he not good enough, but look at the criticism players like James, Martial and Lingard have received recently (and unfortunately racial abuse in Martial's case) and you'd think it's a silly idea.

I do feel bad for the lad, but unfortunately life can be tough. He's not the only one by the way; he's probably the highest profile youth player who hasn't made it here, but what about the likes of Cole, Will Keane, Tunnicliffe, Wilson etc. They might not have had the same background/upbringing as Ravel but they'll definitely have been gutted to not make it here.

And to be fair to United, as far as I remember, we were willing him to stay and it was his choice to leave. Fergie did say that it was better for him to leave Manchester though I'm sure he'd have loved him to stay.

Ravel's had more than one opportunity to make it elsewhere. I'd seriously love for him to come back one day and make it here but that ship has long sailed. Wish him all the best for his future and hopefully both he as a player and United as a club learn from this experience.

Reactions: Dargonk

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

feck off :lol:

NinjaFletch

It's an interesting interview with some really sad moments, and I'm especially taken aback by how shy he comes across. It's easy to think players don't make it because they don't care, but it really makes you wonder if at least part of his issue was to do with confidence about performing on a bigger stage.

I can't help but think there's a bit of an issue still will taking ownership for his own actions. He's had some real dogshit experiences, and I'm not at all surprised to find out that Allardyce was involved with one of them, but I don't really believe that every instance he's had of going to a club on a six month contract has been one of bad management meaning he hasn't had chance. I think it's pretty telling that Chris Wilder's five words to describe him are pretty much exactly the same as what his coaches wold have said 10 years ago.

I really hope those moves he was talking about come through for him and he can make a success of the end of his career.

SirMarcusRashford

I've just watched the whole interview, first time I've ever heard him speak!

I remember when Ravel Morrison was at United and playing for the U18 and then reserves. I used to subscribe to MUTV just so I could watch Ravel Morrison play (i thought he was going to be that good) and so I could say i followed his progress from academy player to world class superstar.

I would tell anyone that would listen, this kid is the future not just of Manchester United but English football, Ravel and Pogba was the standouts, but Ravel Morrison was the crown jewel, was also convinced Ryan Tunnicliffe would make it here too and possibly Will Keane, i was never convinced by Lingard even then and Michael Keane going on to have a better career than his brother surprised me, he never stood out all that much, just goes to show anything can happen and ones who go under the radar can often have the better career than those who look nailed on.

But still makes me sad Ravel never went on to fulfil his potential, just turned 28 he should be at his peak right now and doing what Bruno Fernandes is doing for United.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Comes with getting older.
It comes with maturity, regardless of age. You need to know what are important in life and then focus on those things and not worry about the rest. When you don't know the main 3-5 things in life, you won't be unfocused and come to regret things later.

dabeast

Oh come on!

Good enough for United is a big big lie and you know it. He's never produced in a top league and never will. We can feel sorry for him and dream of what could've been. But lets be honest atleast.

Sad story, though. Hopefully he can use his story and become a coach or something
So he may not have played in a top league for a while (though he does play internationally for Jamaica now) but did produce in a top league. He played regularly for West Ham in the PL, see this goal against Spurs for example :-

In fact, per the interview, he played well enough to be offered a new contract by West Ham that was taken away by Big Sam when he refused to change agent to Sam’s. He then went on loan to the promoted QPR under Harry Redknapp and did well enough there for Redknapp to offer to buy him too.

I find interesting the commonly expressed idea that he deserves where he is and has done well in absolute terms. I would think that his sense of self (and others’ sense of him) is dependent on a relative estimation of where he could have gotten to given his talent. He, as someone who would change “90% of their life” also probably thinks in relative terms too.

So why is it that we think it unfair, even immoral for him to be given another chance? Because we never had the talent? Or because it would highlight the disturbing fact that life is not equal for all people?

Last edited:

dabeast

Here is a point where he was scoring in the PL for West Ham, starring for England U21s and, as Rio says in the commentary, in the conversation for a senior England team call up.

I understand that this was 7 years ago but we’d be salivating over someone (even if a 28 year-old) who was doing these things for the United U23s today.

Sylar

But to say this words is important (Most people are thinking that they are perfect and it is always the fault of the others).
Oh I agree. I was thinking that most people would have some regrets, but to admit 90% is quite a thing and very saddening. It's in a way nice to see he knows where it went wrong too

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Here is a point where he was scoring in the PL for West Ham, starring for England U21s and, as Rio says in the commentary, in the conversation for a senior England team call up.

I understand that this was 7 years ago but we’d be salivating over someone (even if a 28 year-old) who was doing these things for the United U23s today.
Lingard says Hi...

Ashish Negi

Salford should sign him not Manchester United. He is not good enough to play for PL bottom teams.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So he may not have played in a top league for a while (though he does play internationally for Jamaica now) but did produce in a top league. He played regularly for West Ham in the PL, see this goal against Spurs for example :-

In fact, per the interview, he played well enough to be offered a new contract by West Ham that was taken away by Big Sam when he refused to change agent to Sam’s. He then went on loan to the promoted QPR under Harry Redknapp and did well enough there for Redknapp to offer to buy him too.

I find interesting the commonly expressed idea that he deserves where he is and has done well in absolute terms. I would think that his sense of self (and others’ sense of him) is dependent on a relative estimation of where he could have gotten to given his talent. He, as someone who would change “90% of their life” also probably thinks in relative terms too.

So why is it that we think it unfair, even immoral for him to be given another chance? Because we never had the talent? Or because it would highlight the disturbing fact that life is not equal for all people?
He has had multiple chances to turn his career around and the fact that he can't stay at a club for long is telling.

He doesn't need more chances, he needs to get professional help on how to grow up and start thinking about his future after football because at the rate he's going, he's fecked once he retires and the money runs out.

led_scholes

I get it why when we talk about him people always mention his background etc, there are tears for his wasted career, and there are 2-3 nostalgic peopla are saying he can still play at United. What I don't get is that we had another player with an equal awful background, who was not playing regular football until the age of 18, eventually had a better career, was probably -in terms of football skills- the bigger talent, but most of the times he is mentioned here, he is ridiculed. I have never heard anyone talking about the ifs and hows regarding Bebe.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I get it why when we talk about him people always mention his background etc, there are tears for his wasted career, and there are 2-3 nostalgic peopla are saying he can still play at United. What I don't get is that we had another player with an equal awful background, who was not playing regular football until the age of 18, eventually had a better career, was probably -in terms of football skills- the bigger talent, but most of the times he is mentioned here, he is ridiculed. I have never heard anyone talking about the ifs and hows regarding Bebe.
Bungs? Otherwise, no one would have heard of him.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

That skill at 3:40... niceeeeee.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've just watched the whole interview, first time I've ever heard him speak!

I remember when Ravel Morrison was at United and playing for the U18 and then reserves. I used to subscribe to MUTV just so I could watch Ravel Morrison play (i thought he was going to be that good) and so I could say i followed his progress from academy player to world class superstar.

I would tell anyone that would listen, this kid is the future not just of Manchester United but English football, Ravel and Pogba was the standouts, but Ravel Morrison was the crown jewel, was also convinced Ryan Tunnicliffe would make it here too and possibly Will Keane, i was never convinced by Lingard even then and Michael Keane going on to have a better career than his brother surprised me, he never stood out all that much, just goes to show anything can happen and ones who go under the radar can often have the better career than those who look nailed on.

But still makes me sad Ravel never went on to fulfil his potential, just turned 28 he should be at his peak right now and doing what Bruno Fernandes is doing for United.
He made it to the high shores of Luton Town mate. Proper club! Might even play live on Sky Sports today vs. Cardiff :lol:

I felt sorry for Ravel a bit here, especially his dealings that crook Sam Allardyce. He clearly hasn't got the confidence and mentality to make it at United but I think he could have been a good asset for a club like West Ham, where there are good players/fans/history but the pressure isn't as intense as at united. He'd be linking up with JLingz right now! But that idiot Fat Sam clearly had other plans. Didn't Sam also get fired from the England job for some shady shit too? How the feck does he still have a job is beyond me. I pray West Brom go down.

My younger brother is one that had so much potential at school and like Ravel, blew it. He went into rapping, hanging with the wrong crowds etc. Recently, his two best friends died (at different times) and that's given him the kick up the backside and now his life is back on track.

I hope Ravel turns it around and get a new club as he alluded to. Maybe he'll be reunited with Tunnicliffe at Luton!