Ravel Morrison | Derby player

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm tempted to get a message to Moyes through somebody I know and see if he would give him a shot at West Ham :lol:

I always said that I felt he was a decent, relaxed guy deep down. He obviously didn't realise he was a star to those around him growing up, but he was friends with them and they ultimately provided too much distraction. It also sounds like he was a bit short changed at United. I feel like, from listening to that, there could potentially have been a bit more done in his situation. Having a kid that can't make it to training shouldn't be a reality at United. Sad to hear about and provides a good insight into what his life was like.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Fact is through his (admitted) talent, he was afforded an opportunity that the vast majority of people are not. He’s wasted it through a poor attitude and an inability to leave his past behind him. He has to own that and ultimately he only has himself to blame.

Plenty have and will continue to come from similarly difficult backgrounds, but that excuse can only take you so far, before you exhaust the good will of others. He may now already be beyond the last chance saloon.

He needn’t look too far from home, before realising what others have done and been able to achieve from a similar position.

That said, if the above video is anything to go by, he appears to be a showing a degree of self-reflection and introspection. And although his career has not panned out as he and perhaps many others would have expected, he still probably has a healthier bank balance than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

I'm reluctant to have sympathy with him because he's full of excuses and there are thousands of footballers from far worse backgrounds who didn't throw their opportunity away, but it pisses me off that dinosaurs like Allardyce who add absolutely nothing to the game are able to stay in these top jobs deciding the fate of kids like Ravel based on a whim or on how big the brown envelope will be afterwards.

starman

He's a myth, like a one hit wonder rockstar that died too young and each year his legend grows, when in reality there's so many players like him with extraordinary amounts of skills up their sleeve, but when it comes to top level football, or even a subpar level he's nothing special, just checkout all the YouTube freestyler footballers that never made it, he's really no different.
As for Rio constantly bigging him up..... "Ole at the wheel" we than go on a really bad run and it becomes a meme.
He's recently started boasting again, before the Sheffield Utd game, iirc..he's one of the last pundits on TV I ever take seriously about anything.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Salford would be a good shout for him if he could live in Manchester without falling back to his old ways.

They are likely to rise through the leagues and he could make a success of the tail end of his career.

SuperiorXI

He's a myth, like a one hit wonder rockstar that died too young and each year his legend grows, when in reality there's so many players like him with extraordinary amounts of skills up their sleeve, but when it comes to top level football, or even a subpar level he's nothing special, just checkout all the YouTube freestyler footballers that never made it, he's really no different.
As for Rio constantly bigging him up..... "Ole at the wheel" we than go on a really bad run and it becomes a meme.
He's recently started boasting again, before the Sheffield Utd game, iirc..he's one of the last pundits on TV I ever take seriously about anything.
He's definitely a bit more than that. It's not just Rio that has bigged him up, you just have to look at the things Fergie said about him. So many players have talked about how good he is. He definitely wasn't just another YouTube footballer.

mancan92

Watching this shows how important confidence is as a player. If he had even a fraction of the confidence someone like Pogba had who he played with in the youth ranks he'd be a top player. How can he see himself dominating the best youth teams in the world and no believe he was pretty great?

SirMarcusRashford

I'm reluctant to have sympathy with him because he's full of excuses and there are thousands of footballers from far worse backgrounds who didn't throw their opportunity away, but it pisses me off that dinosaurs like Allardyce who add absolutely nothing to the game are able to stay in these top jobs deciding the fate of kids like Ravel based on a whim or on how big the brown envelope will be afterwards.
I don't think he needs anyone's sympathy, as much as people call him a failed talent, his talent as resulted in him traveling all over the world playing football, he will never have to work a normal job and he's probably a millionaire and his next club may be in the Championship or League 1 still a great level which pays well, even League 2 pays footballers an average of over £2k a week, he's living the dream really.

It's just a case of 'what if' with him.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Salford would be a good shout for him if he could live in Manchester without falling back to his old ways.

They are likely to rise through the leagues and he could make a success of the tail end of his career.
Imagine that. Imagine he helped bring then to championship/premier League... Wouldn't that be something.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So he may not have played in a top league for a while (though he does play internationally for Jamaica now) but did produce in a top league. He played regularly for West Ham in the PL, see this goal against Spurs for example :-

In fact, per the interview, he played well enough to be offered a new contract by West Ham that was taken away by Big Sam when he refused to change agent to Sam’s. He then went on loan to the promoted QPR under Harry Redknapp and did well enough there for Redknapp to offer to buy him too.

I find interesting the commonly expressed idea that he deserves where he is and has done well in absolute terms. I would think that his sense of self (and others’ sense of him) is dependent on a relative estimation of where he could have gotten to given his talent. He, as someone who would change “90% of their life” also probably thinks in relative terms too.

So why is it that we think it unfair, even immoral for him to be given another chance? Because we never had the talent? Or because it would highlight the disturbing fact that life is not equal for all people?
1: Because we have some fantastically talented youngsters coming through, and without being 100% certain he has got his life together I wouldnt be ok with having him around them, it sends totally the wrong message that "Its ok, no matter how many times you feck up, Utd will have you back and sort you out", We havent gotten rid of that stink from putting up with Lingard etc for so long yet! And 2: How many chances can you give someone before you say no, no more?

pocco

loco
Fact is through his (admitted) talent, he was afforded an opportunity that the vast majority of people are not. He’s wasted it through a poor attitude and an inability to leave his past behind him. He has to own that and ultimately he only has himself to blame.

Plenty have and will continue to come from similarly difficult backgrounds, but that excuse can only take you so far, before you exhaust the good will of others. He may now already be beyond the last chance saloon.

He needn’t look too far from home, before realising what others have done and been able to achieve from a similar position.

That said, if the above video is anything to go by, he appears to be a showing a degree of self-reflection and introspection. And although his career has not panned out as he and perhaps many others would have expected, he still probably has a healthier bank balance than most.
Unfortunately not every kid can recognise when they have something good. This is where adults are supposed to provide influence.

I'm not blaming his mum because she sounds like she had her hands full and things were tough, but sadly he was just a product of his environment. Whilst it sounds like some coaches genuinely cared for him at youth level, there perhaps wasn't that continuity for him. He talks about just wanting a first team coach to acknowledge him and it never came - I think that's poor or just unfortunate, as that may have sparked things for him by the sounds of it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Unfortunately not every kid can recognise when they have something good. This is where adults are supposed to provide influence.

I'm not blaming his mum because she sounds like she had her hands full and things were tough, but sadly he was just a product of his environment. Whilst it sounds like some coaches genuinely cared for him at youth level, there perhaps wasn't that continuity for him. He talks about just wanted a first team coach to acknowledge him and it never came - I think that's poor or just unfortunate, as that may have sparked things for him by the sounds of it.
He said his dad wasn't around which may have been what he lacked, a second parent to keep him on the straight and narrow.

pocco

loco
Watching this shows how important confidence is as a player. If he had even a fraction of the confidence someone like Pogba had who he played with in the youth ranks he'd be a top player. How can he see himself dominating the best youth teams in the world and no believe he was pretty great?
It's pretty crazy to think that was the case, but we're looking at it from the perspective of football fans and the players are practically superstars. For him, like he said, he was just playing football with his mates and it didn't register that the thing he'd been doing since he was a child was actually pretty damn big. Or that it could disappear in the blink of an eye.

AKDevil

Everyone, if you love Man Utd, PLEASE watch this , heartbreaking, poignant, brilliant interview with Ravel Morrison and see if we as a community, even if on purely humanitarian grounds, can help him.

It is clear that his family background, growing up in a single-parent family, did not set him up to avoid trouble (which he acknowledges now that he is older) and take things seriously at Man Utd. He was on a scholar's wage and his mother didn't have the resources to get him to training on time (he had to ask for rides and sometimes showed up in a white van, sometimes even came on his bicycle) and he really suffered at the club because of the resulting tardiness. He admits to stealing boots from the changing room to sell off. When asked why, he said because it would give him enough money to put Chinese food on the family table and he would look like a star to his family.

Football and its management could have helped him more too. He describes how no one would talk to him from the first-team coaching staff at Utd, so never felt (ludicrously) that he ever had a chance of getting into the first team. When he went to West Ham where he was doing well and enjoying it, he says that Sam Allardyce made it a requirement that he dump his agent and sign with Allardyce's agent in order to sign a new contract with West Ham. When Ravel refused on account of loyalty, Sam refused to play him and later refused to sell him to Harry Redknapp's QPR where he had had a successful loan and sold him to Cardiff.

Seeing this interview, one's heart goes out to the kids in the ultra high-pressure, incredibly selective, performance industry that is football. Imagine the disappointment of being a young player (a child) told that they weren't good enough and had to do something else rather than the one thing they had spent their whole lives upto that point training for. Add to that the lack of support and guidance that is present even at the BEST CLUB ACADEMY. And, to top it off, the clear quid pro quo for illegal bungs and the like in the professional game. Players without a strong family background face many more obstacles and Ravel, despite his clear footballing genius, fell between the cracks.

What is there to be done? From a footballing standpoint, he is now 28 so unlikely to tear up any trees. Yet, if United is a family club as we keep saying, we should be able to take care of one of our own. Ravel has not played much football and because of his talent (he was never reliant on pace) he could easily play for another 7 years. So, couldn't we start a campaign for United to sign him (he is a free agent), loan him out to a Championship club to see if he can get some good minutes and, if that works, bring him into our setup next season? How little would that cost and how feel good a story that would be that United could partially right what seems like a deep wrong (but must happen frequently). A story that would make everyone feel better.

We are not glory hunting fans only but also a community and I would love to believe that we could get this done. Rio seems to care that he was treated badly and has the platform to amplify this potential campaign, it would be great to bring this idea to him.
Would be great to see this. Unreal talent at youth level.

Sir Marcus

It's pretty crazy to think that was the case, but we're looking at it from the perspective of football fans and the players are practically superstars. For him, like he said, he was just playing football with his mates and it didn't register that the thing he'd been doing since he was a child was actually pretty damn big. Or that it could disappear in the blink of an eye.

I think this is what I took from the interview and I actually think Ravel struggles to articulate this point in the way he would've liked.

He found football so natural he never actually realised the level of application that is required to become regular PL player and never realised how great the opportunity in front of him was...

It's such a shame and you can't help but wonder how he would've fared with a few more genuinely positive influences in his life.

I also don't buy the 'there's loads of player as talented as him that also didn't make it' line - I'm sure there is a few but Ravel's natural talent was honestly out of this world, there are very few players that looked so comfortable and naturally gifted to me at that age - SAF's quote about him managing to find time and space so often does encapsulate that too.

OleGunnar20

Quite an eye opening interview into a guy who was nothing like I'd imagined he would be.

The quote about changing 90% of his life was very sad. He sounded very genuine throughout but you could see the lack of belief there even today. The story about big Sam was really just infuriating, taking advantage of a young man for what I can only assume was some sort of back hander from his agent? Scummy. What was he not earning enough to get by the poor fella?

Of course regardless, hes had a career most of us could only dream of, seen the world, and I'm sure earned plenty of money in the meantime.

I'd love to see him tearing up the championship, or perhaps even a top league abroad next year. He seems to have had a string of bad luck with regards to his club choices, and call me a romantic but I think it can all stick click into place for him in the right environment.

Judas

Open to offers
The sad thing is he seems defeated before he even starts at a new club, and any set back he seems to end up going into a tailspin of negativity. Seems like he could do with a lot of therapy to help with his mindset, judging purely by the way he talks in that interview.

Zlatattack

He sounds so dumb, i don't mean that in a bad way. He doesn't sound bright or confident and I think that he's not had the extra support he needed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Any time I’ve seen him play in the last 3 years he seems to be getting deeper and deeper, merging into some kind of DLP

sell Pogba sign ravel

we really need to shop Morrisons

saivet

How is he full of excuses? He says he's change 90% of his decisions if he went back in time. I've said it before but I think it's incredibly harsh to compare his background to others who may have had it worse or just as bad. Just because others have dealt with tough situations doesn't mean we shouldn't have sympathy for someone who has gone the opposite direction.

Judas

Open to offers
How is he full of excuses? He says he's change 90% of his decisions if he went back in time. I've said it before but I think it's incredibly harsh to compare his background to others who may have had it worse or just as bad. Just because others have dealt with tough situations doesn't mean we shouldn't have sympathy for someone who has gone the opposite direction.
Yep this doesn't get said enough. It's almost like the whole "man up" nonsense. Just because some can deal with a certain set of circumstances, doesn't mean everyone should be able to.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
It's amazing how poverty can affect a person.

You hear it there: not having a ride to training, nicking boots for Chinese, unable to politick, fiercely loyal, humble to a fault.

I'd sign him if I ran a football club. He plays football the way it's meant to be played.

Would love to see him have a renaissance and take Jamaica to the WC.

dabeast

It's amazing how poverty can affect a person.

You hear it there: not having a ride to training, nicking boots for Chinese, unable to politick, fiercely loyal, humble to a fault.

I'd sign him if I ran a football club. He plays football the way it's meant to be played.

Would love to see him have a renaissance and take Jamaica to the WC.
Yes, exactly. A valid critique would be that many kids have the same problems. However, as you say, Ravel plays the game it's meant to be played and I'd much rather watch one of him than a thousand Gary Nevilles.

lsd

The Oracle
Saying he had no chance because of his background is an insult to the the hundreds of players who had it far worse and still came through. The only thing stopped Morrison was his poor wannabe gangsta attitude which he put first over everything else.

Sorry he regrets it now but he has no one and nothing else to blame but himself

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Saying he had no chance because of his background is an insult to the the hundreds of players who had it far worse and still came through. The only thing stopped Morrison was his poor wannabe gangsta attitude which he put first over everything else.

You've always got a chance if you've got the talent and obviously once he made it as far as United his chances were quite good but that doesn't mean it's right to pretend the factors that seem to have played a role in his failure to make it as a professional footballer should be dismissed as just 'wannabe gangsta attitude'. Even within what I would guess you'd include in that description there's plenty worth looking at more thoughtfully and there's obviously more than just that too.

You can still blame him for not wanting it enough, his circumstances weren't that bad. Plenty of players talk about how they had to take multiple buses to training or walk miles to get there. He was in the club at the same time as a homeless orphan ffs.

To be fair to him it sounds like he is finally starting to realise what he wasted, but for years it was always somebody else's fault.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
You can still blame him for not wanting it enough, his circumstances weren't that bad. Plenty of players talk about how they had to take multiple buses to training or walk miles to get there. He was in the club at the same time as a homeless orphan ffs.

To be fair to him it sounds like he is finally starting to realise what he wasted, but for years it was always somebody else's fault.
There is still hope

Instead of people constantly having a go and saying he wasted his chances - it's worth considering that from what his childhood was like he's done very well to be alive at 28, not in prison and not in various negative situations.

When people are raised in chaos and it's all someone knows it can be very difficult to adapt and have a stable adult life.

A lot of people never develop the self awareness to reflect on their behaviour and admit they have made mistakes and have regrets. At 28 he's showing a maturity and honesty that stands him in good stead for the rest of his life.

He's so young he has a lot of life and opportunities ahead of him, i hope he's now on a path he's comfortable with

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Instead of people constantly having a go and saying he wasted his chances - it's worth considering that from what his childhood was like he's done very well to be alive at 28, not in prison and not in various negative situations.

When people are raised in chaos and it's all someone knows it can be very difficult to adapt and have a stable adult life.

A lot of people never develop the self awareness to reflect on their behaviour and admit they have made mistakes and have regrets. At 28 he's showing a maturity and honesty that stands him in good stead for the rest of his life.

He's so young he has a lot of life and opportunities ahead of him, i hope he's now on a path he's comfortable with
Well said.

Caesar2290

Sorry mate, no logic of reason allowed here.

I remember clearly when SAF and some of our coaches clearly stated the talent Ravel had. But all of them were being alarm at the crowd he hung out with after the training.

Simply put, the man chose poorly. He chose his gangsta pals over a United career and he never recovered since.

One a side note: That 2012 class of Morrison and Pogba should go down as a dark chapter in our academy. Those 2 were the best players to come through since the class of 92. Only to lose on of them on a free and the other to poor lifestyle choices. Sad chapter indeed.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Do most kids who grow up in Wythenshawe/Stretford in single parent families end up dead or in prison?

I think you're massively exaggerating here.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Do most kids who grow up in Wythenshawe/Stretford in single parent families end up dead or in prison?

I think you're massively exaggerating here.
How about those who are out at 2am every night in their early teens?

It's clear that, as a boy, Morrison did not have the wherewithal to understand what was happening in his life and which direction he would be able to take it with his actions (positive or negative). People are saying that other players had the ability to take a bus to training, it doesn't seem like Ravel did. His family was on the margins with his mother working to keep them afloat. He was busy nicking multimillionaires boots for cash. I don't think it's a "wannabe gangster lifestyle," I think it WAS his lifestyle. There's nowt much difference between wannabe gangsters and actual gangsters when you're talking about where in the socioeconomic strata Morrison would be in.

Grande

I think ‘blaming’ is as much of an exaggeration as ‘excusing’.

It’s his own carreer, and he needs neither. What is pertinent to note, however, is that no one has a right to excel, nor can anyone reasonably be expected to be among the elite of a sports where many millions try their hand at becoming the best. Players eat, sleep and train rigorously to never reach beyond League One. Which is why it’s impressive in itself to have played in the PL at all, wether you’re from Whytenshawe or not. No one is born a PL level footballer. That means that whatever talent Ravel wasted, he also built doing the hard part himself.

I can feel for a guy that writes a thank you letter to Ferguson only to be cut open and stamped by Sam Allardyce.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Think both of these posts are a little extreme in both directions. Nonetheless, would love for him to settle down at a club through to retirement.