Ravel Morrison | Derby player

dabeast

No matter how much Ravel harmed himself, It is good to see compassion in us, a community that loves a football club. ,

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
There is so much I dont get about Ravel Morrison.

Looking at this video, I see the love Rio Ferdinand has for him and the complete lack of confidence and belief in Ravel Morrison.

Id love to know purely why from a footballing pov he has not been given more of a chance by way of game time.

Is he not a team player? Can he not take instruction? Is he disruptive in dressing room? Is he simply not talented enough? Whats his contract?

You would think a manager would give him a run of 10 games in a team and lets see what he does. The whole idea he cant get more then 5 games at a club in the last 7 years is screaming something aint right somewhere.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Looking at this video, I see the love Rio Ferdinand has for him and the complete lack of confidence and belief in Ravel Morrison.

Id love to know purely why from a footballing pov he has not been given more of a chance by way of game time.

Is he not a team player? Can he not take instruction? Is he disruptive in dressing room? Is he simply not talented enough? Whats his contract?

You would think a manager would give him a run of 10 games in a team and lets see what he does. The whole idea he cant get more then 5 games at a club in the last 7 years is screaming something aint right somewhere.
It's laughable you don't think he's been given enough chances. He has been given way more chances than most players with his record because of this myth that has grown around him. He constantly gets chances and he fails everywhere he goes.

Bwuk

It sounds like he's finally growing up.

Morrison has all the ability in the world but has his own issues. Ferdinand just seems absolutely gutted and so disappointed with how it turned out for Morrison.

He made a lot of mistakes when he was younger that I imagine he'll regret as he gets older.

He could of been a star at United, but just made poor life choice after poor life choice. I get he comes from a poor family and a tough background, and isn't easy to escape that.

bazalini

It's laughable you don't think he's been given enough chances. He has been given way more chances than most players with his record because of this myth that has grown around him. He constantly gets chances and he fails everywhere he goes.
Awww Bud you are missing my point.

Point me to what a manager has said about him. The most recent information from Holland was he has a great guy abd the talent but did not suit the defense makeup of a team.

Point me to the information where its said - Ravel is too slow, does not follow instruction etc etc. That is what im looking. Is it the case he is just worthy of Harrogate FC or should Sunderland take him on a pay as you play. He has to he at a level - so what is it?

There has to be something so this myth is either busted or we go on.

ROFLUTION

Sir Alex Ferguson's quote in the programme:

"My first and last impression of Ravel as a young lad was: He has always got time and space. Always available to be on the ball. So unusual for a young lad of his age. Give my regards to him, please. Another thing about Revel that I've always treasured, because no other young player who made their debut did it: After the first game in the first team that he played, the next morning he came to my office and gave me a letter. Thanking me for giving him his debut. I was gobsmacked, Rio. The boy had a good heart. He was just beaten by his background."

That last part :eek: There's no one quite like Fergie is there?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So, couldn't we start a campaign for United to sign him (he is a free agent), loan him out to a Championship club to see if he can get some good minutes and, if that works, bring him into our setup next season?
This is ridiculous.

bazalini

I think they've been discussed at length many a time.

He couldn't stop getting himself into trouble.
2015 is last in which anything is documented.

Is he appearing on Rio Ferdinand podcasts and heading out 12 hours later up to no good.

dinostar77

Morrison could have been a truly elite number 10. He had that much potential. The most talented player to come through the academy but as we all know his background and upbringing did him no favours.

Its a shame as it would have been interesting to see if that potential could actually translate to performances on the pitch at the highest level.

He said in that interview if he could go back he'd change 90% of his life. So the penny probably has dropped albeit 10 years too late.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It was an interesting interview. His confidence in himself is quite sad to hear.

A part of me believes that if he was coming through in this decade he might actually have made it and been better equipped to deal with his mental state. It’s only in the past few years that we have had open and frank discussions by footballers and celebrities regarding the state of mind and professional organisations, whether that is teams, coaches or other players taking it seriously when someone says they are struggling. He would have had far more help to overcome these confidence issues, these feelings of having to think he has to do certain things to be a ‘man’ or to feed his family etc., than I imagine he did in 2010/11.

bazalini

Morrison could have been a truly elite number 10. He had that much potential. The most talented player to come through the academy but as we all know his background and upbringing did him no favours.

Its a shame as it would have been interesting to see if that potential could actually translate to performances on the pitch at the highest level.

He said in that interview if he could go back he'd change 90% of his life. So the penny probably has dropped albeit 10 years too late.
Hes 28 and from the podcast evidently alive

Needham

Its reasonable to hope for a good performance here and there but you cannot expect a player to be named after a sweet product and a supermarket it's sold in and demand greatness.

Beaucoup

Chris Wilder's final word to describe him was frustrating, I think that tells us all we need to know.

bazalini

Chris Wilder's final word to describe him was frustrating, I think that tells us all we need to know.

Nah. Doesn't. In what context.

Im frustated with my tv at presented. Does not tell you that the electricty is out in area

Suspicious Swelling

I thought it was pretty sad to watch to be honest, Fergie has hit the nail on the head; beaten by his background.
The idea of signing him is mental though. At the end of the day this is an interview organised by Rio who clearly still has a fondness for him, it would be interesting to hear from some of the managers who have terminated some of his contracts to get the other side of the story.

Reactions: Sultan
Do most kids who grow up in Wythenshawe/Stretford in single parent families end up dead or in prison?

I think you're massively exaggerating here.
No they don't. But I'm not talking about single parent families. You're conflating very different things.

I'm talking about young guys who end up in gang culture and spiral from there. Yes guys getting mixed up in gangs and ending up in serious crime and eventually prison is a major problem in Manchester and Salford (and most UK cities). And inevitably a % of those die in gang related scenarios.

ZupZup

I think in a way, it seems like he suffered a bit from being in the system at such a young age. He never had to really work for it as a young player. To him, playing for United in the academy was just like any other kid felt about going to school. He didn't see it as a big deal if he didn't follow certain rules, turned up late, or skipped some days altogether. He obviously loved playing football but he didn't really understand how fortunate he was and the opportunity he had. I would not even be surprised if he had some learning difficulties that went completely undiagnosed throughout his youth and as a consequence, didn't receive adequate support.

mu4c_20le

I thought it was pretty sad to watch to be honest, Fergie has hit the nail on the head; beaten by his background.
The idea of signing him is mental though. At the end of the day this is an interview organised by Rio who clearly still has a fondness for him, it would be interesting to hear from some of the managers who have terminated some of his contracts to get the other side of the story.
Here is an interesting read from one of his coaches at Ostersund

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...ece-ostersund-manchester-united-alex-ferguson

AP88

Supports
Man City
It was an interesting interview. His confidence in himself is quite sad to hear.

A part of me believes that if he was coming through in this decade he might actually have made it and been better equipped to deal with his mental state. It’s only in the past few years that we have had open and frank discussions by footballers and celebrities regarding the state of mind and professional organisations, whether that is teams, coaches or other players taking it seriously when someone says they are struggling. He would have had far more help to overcome these confidence issues, these feelings of having to think he has to do certain things to be a ‘man’ or to feed his family etc., than I imagine he did in 2010/11.
Same situation with Michael Johnson at City - masked his insecurity and depression with an illusion of disinterest and chaotic behaviour. Both phenomenally talented players who would have given England a decisive element of elegance and control in the midfield over the past decade.

shahzy

Most managers say for players to play in games they have to put in the work and effort in training. By all accounts we know he doesnt put in effort in training and even himself said he doesn't rock up to training sometimes because he doesnt feel like it. A manager isn't going to give a player doing that 10 games to see what he can do

Last edited:

DuruttiColumn

Surprised he never went back to Mexico, that seemed like the only spell of his career where he consistently performed. Did he mention it in the interview?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is yet another example of a ‘tekker’ (or the like) not necessarily going to succeed in a team game. Who cares that he scored a back heel from a cross while in mid air during training? When’s that actually going to happen in a real match & who would ever think to try that? That’s not cool, that’s not something that should ever be emulated in a team sport, it’s a tad infuriating. The kid’s had a challenging life, partially due to his early environment, but probably more so due to himself; there is an element of tragedy here, but we shouldn’t whitewash simply due to a rather sad tale.

I feel like I say this every half year or so - I hope he takes advantage of his next chance, but he probably won’t unfortunately. It might be time he now starts a life completely devoid of football. That may be what’s most healthy for him.

Acole9

Outstanding
Surprised he never went back to Mexico, that seemed like the only spell of his career where he consistently performed. Did he mention it in the interview?
Yeah he did mention it, seemed to quite enjoy it and wanted to go back but for whatever reason hasn't.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didn't think he did much there either?

Started 9 league games for them out of 29 possible as far as I can make out, came on as a sub another 9 times. Unused sub or not in the squad 11. Taken off in 5 of his 9 starts.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Did anyone else get the impression that he was holding something back in that interview? There must be something more to it. You don't play for so many clubs and then leave after a bunch of games.

Holocene

Did anyone else get the impression that he was holding something back in that interview? There must be something more to it. You don't play for so many clubs and then leave after a bunch of games.
What do you think he's holding back?

He keeps getting clubs because of his reputation of being one of United's most talented youngsters with a terrible attitude. Each club think they'll be the one to coach him or change him. He arrives at the club but doesn't have the work ethic. They quickly realise he was a waste of time. Rinse and repeat.

sillwuka

His lack of self belief surprised me, he seemed to be aware of his talent and what he could do with the ball but the elite mentality wasn't there.

I was expecting the 'enigma' that was Ravel Morrison after hearing all the stories but he honestly reminded of my high school friends. He came across as a very normal guy from Manchester and I can see why he never made it big.

Acole9

Outstanding
What do you think he's holding back?

He keeps getting clubs because of his reputation of being one of United's most talented youngsters with a terrible attitude. Each club think they'll be the one to coach him or change him. He arrives at the club but doesn't have the work ethic. They quickly realise he was a waste of time. Rinse and repeat.
Another reason why he doesn't seem to last at clubs for more than five minutes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is yet another example of a ‘tekker’ (or the like) not necessarily going to succeed in a team game. Who cares that he scored a back heel from a cross while in mid air during training?
He was talented enough to do that, but he was also a very smooth passer with great control and dribbles and feints. Very good 1-2s, he wasn't a solo player necessarily, the hype wasn't because of some random solo goal. I remember one of his very few senior appearances at United, some dead cup tie in 2011 or so, he looked better than Pogba did at that time. Gets the ball, turns, plays a 1-2, moves forward.

No way he should come back, but there was something there beyond random useless skills.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He was talented enough to do that, but he was also a very smooth passer with great control and dribbles and feints. Very good 1-2s, he wasn't a solo player necessarily, the hype wasn't because of some random solo goal. I remember one of his very few senior appearances at United, some dead cup tie in 2011 or so, he looked better than Pogba did at that time. Gets the ball, turns, plays a 1-2, moves forward.

No way he should come back, but there was something there beyond random useless skills.
He obviously wasn’t all tekker, but something had to have gotten him so many looks but yet he somewhat devoid of footballing intellect, understanding that he needed to potentially change his game, etc. Skills like that can help to cover up deficiencies in one’s game, can tend to gloss over holes that even can sway professionals trained to assess for a living.

Cast5

He’s doing a podcast with Stretford Paddock on YouTube right now if anyone’s interested.