Ravel Morrison | Derby player

Charlie Foley

No as I said I think he was above average in the youth setup but that does not always correlate to being good at the professional level. We have had our own experiences at the Sporting academy so I know how it is.

What I am saying is there are People here saying “imagine him behind X,Y, and Z” but it’s hard to imagine Because he never showed anything at the pro level that he did in the youth. It’s an unrealistic thought. It’s like a college basketball star who could never make it in the NBA.

(Me and my basketball examples:lol:)
You said good! And to use your basketball example (fine by me I’m a dubs fan :lol: ) you couldn’t say a college star was “never good.” I couldn’t say guys who ran over me playing in high school were “never good” even when they didn’t make it pro. Potential and fruition is a long road and at numerous points you can stop and say someone is good or not. That’s not to say that they will be a star at the top level. But they were still good. Bojan was great at la Masia. Because his senior career stuttered doesn’t mean he was never good!

Agree though that NOW it’s stupid to say imagine him in our line up because we’ve seen his level in 2019. It was a very different thing to be saying that in 2011 though. He was a *good* 18 year old or whatever age back then. He is not a good 26 year old now, though he could have been.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You said good! And to use your basketball example (fine by me I’m a dubs fan :lol: ) you couldn’t say a college star was “never good.” I couldn’t say guys who ran over me playing in high school were “never good” even when they didn’t make it pro. Potential and fruition is a long road and at numerous points you can stop and say someone is good or not. That’s not to say that they will be a star at the top level. But they were still good. Bojan was great at la Masia. Because his senior career stuttered doesn’t mean he was never good!

Agree though that NOW it’s stupid to say imagine him in our line up because we’ve seen his level in 2019. It was a very different thing to be saying that in 2011 though. He was a *good* 18 year old or whatever age back then. He is not a good 26 year old now, though he could have been.
I completely understand with what your saying he was *good* at youth level but when I say he was “never good” I mean at the pro level which is in the end what people are talking about now when saying “imagine him on this lineup” as for the college star example Adam Morrison comes to mind who lit up the NCAA with Gonzaga some people even compared him to Larry bird :lol: and then he only lasted 4 years in the NBA and that was that.

To your point was he *good* in college? Ya I would say so but was he good in the next level in the NBA? Nope.

So that’s what I mean about he was not good I was talking about the pros and not what he did at the youth academy.

BiggusCrickus

I think with Ravel is if he had carried on with his development at utd then we would have the creative 10 we are lacking now. And that sucks

Classical Mechanic

Is that the sum total of his abilities? Most pub players could do something like that.
Don't hate Colster - appreciate.

This was his peak Colin, his fabled performance against Lithuania for England u21s - look at the body swerve to fool the keeper......beautiful!

Sadly he decided to kick off with his teammate in the same game. Bittersweet memories.

Untd55

I don't know why people are so desperate for him to succeed. I have no sympathy when someone messes up their career due to being lazy or having an idiotic personality.

He must have a great agent, though. I don't get why clubs are still taking him on; he is a failure.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is a failed Jack Wilshere. At least Wilshere had one good first team game to build a myth career on, this guy hasnt even had that.

fps

I don't know why people are so desperate for him to succeed. I have no sympathy when someone messes up their career due to being lazy or having an idiotic personality.

He must have a great agent, though. I don't get why clubs are still taking him on; he is a failure.
Correct.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I like to hear players like Rio talk about Ravel, not clowns on here

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was last seen getting subbed off at half time for Sheff Utd U23s on September 30th as they were 2-0 down at home against Burnley U23s. They ended up losing 3-0.
:lol:

But imagine how good he would look for us.

dabeast

I wonder why he didn't make the bench yesterday. Why would Wilder, a good judge of talent, buy him then?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I wonder why he didn't make the bench yesterday. Why would Wilder, a good judge of talent, buy him then?
He didn't buy him, he joined for free on a one year deal. Gives him a chance to have a long look at the player on a day to day basis.

It's a very low risk gamble that seems not to have paid off. Kinda like putting a fiver on a 100/1 horse, if you win, great! If you lose, meh only a fiver.

saivet

I think as well, given how well they have played this season, Wilder has had no reason to shake it up in terms of personal.

In terms of how they play, I'm not sure where he fits in or if he'd be able to bring about that same intensity the regulars do.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People really love to hype him up but I doubt many have seen him play. In the end, he is a huge failure

BlahRules

People really love to hype him up but I doubt many have seen him play. In the end, he is a huge failure
The limited games he played at the first team he had had outshone Pogba.
No need to hype him up, if he was not a massive knob he would be up there with Pogba.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He is a failed Jack Wilshere. At least Wilshere had one good first team game to build a myth career on, this guy hasnt even had that.
Didn't he score the winner against Spurs once?

Skills

Snitch
The limited games he played at the first team he had had outshone Pogba.
No need to hype him up, if he was not a massive knob he would be up there with Pogba.
That's making a massive assumption that they would've followed the same trajectory throughout his professional career. Pogba was always going to end up a much better player - you can't teach someone Pogba's size, speed and strength and then also package it with his technique. Morrison only potentially had the ability to match his technique.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's like the reverse of John Terry, who a pal of mine played with at Chelsea youth and said he was a midfielder, and nothing special then look how he panned out.

Maybe Morrison can still make it, especially as clubs constantly give him a chance.

Skills

Snitch
He's like the reverse of John Terry, who a pal of mine played with at Chelsea youth and said he was a midfielder, and nothing special then look how he panned out.

Maybe Morrison can still make it, especially as clubs constantly give him a chance.
He's 27 with a 130 odd professional games under his belt. I don't think he has a hope, it's just way too late now.

Hoof the ball

It's not hyping him up to make an assessment of his technical abilities and come to the conclusion that he had, and still has, an unusual amount of natural talent. There are, however, certain intangibles that factor into this type of prodigious talent realising their potential. It was once thought that outside distractions were significant cause for his lack of development. Then it was his lack of application. He himself said that he doesn't feel pressure. Perhaps, it's worth considering that the ability to feel pressure, to any degree, is a positive thing, since it breeds urgency. Who knows what myriad of reasons pertain to his failing to marrying his talent to other people's expectations.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's 27 with a 130 odd professional games under his belt. I don't think he has a hope, it's just way too late now.
Make it playing regular league football I mean. Not top premier league stuff.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think people blaming it only on his lack application and brains are actually doing him a favour. There are many idiots who made it in the premier league who are probably tougher cases than him and looked far less talented than him, and are still far worse in training than him. It's not just technique and application that takes you to the highest level. Oliver Norwood had Scholes range of passing, probably even better than he had at that level, but never made it, Tunniclife had Roy Keane's passion and decent technique and never made it, even Lingard had lots of good things at lower level but nowadays he looks one of least talented players in our squad.

Pace, explosivness, power, strength, agility, lung capacity, injury resistance, first touch, shooting technique, etc., all play massive part at the highest level and maybe, just maybe it's not just Ravel's lack of application that cost him? Maybe the talent he showed at lower level doesn't translate to the talent needed at higher level, it definitely wouldn't be the first time we see. I understand this could be little difficult to realise for Ravel fans who still think he can somehow make it despite not being good enough to even be used as rotation option for West Ham, or even stand out in the Mexican league, or even show anything in the Championship. Maybe he lacked some other things beside his brains.

Utdstar01

Didn't he score the winner against Spurs once?
Yes. Good goal too. Remember him having a very good run of games then Allardyce dropped him for some reason. He was getting touted for an England call up at that time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yes. Good goal too. Remember him having a very good run of games then Allardyce dropped him for some reason. He was getting touted for an England call up at that time.
If he was serious about his football and he hadn’t fallen out with Big Sam then I reckon he’d still be at very least a decent PL/Top championship player. I’m sure he has massive regrets. I’d say he can also see Fergie was right to get rid of him.

SteveW

Just curious.

At youth level,
he's clearly ahead in the skills and technique departments.

But how is he in terms of teamwork, off-the-ball movements and tactical applications?
He was excellent. His problems were 100% off the pitch.

Hopefully Rooneys comments put the whole "was here ever actually that talented" question to rest. Anyone who actually watched him as a youth agrees that he was an insane talent.

SteveW

I think people blaming it only on his lack application and brains are actually doing him a favour. There are many idiots who made it in the premier league who are probably tougher cases than him and looked far less talented than him, and are still far worse in training than him. It's not just technique and application that takes you to the highest level. Oliver Norwood had Scholes range of passing, probably even better than he had at that level, but never made it, Tunniclife had Roy Keane's passion and decent technique and never made it, even Lingard had lots of good things at lower level but nowadays he looks one of least talented players in our squad.

Pace, explosivness, power, strength, agility, lung capacity, injury resistance, first touch, shooting technique, etc., all play massive part at the highest level and maybe, just maybe it's not just Ravel's lack of application that cost him? Maybe the talent he showed at lower level doesn't translate to the talent needed at higher level, it definitely wouldn't be the first time we see. I understand this could be little difficult to realise for Ravel fans who still think he can somehow make it despite not being good enough to even be used as rotation option for West Ham, or even stand out in the Mexican league, or even show anything in the Championship. Maybe he lacked some other things beside his brains.
Norwood is having a terrific season in the PL right now.

Nah, Ravel had everything barring application. Even without it he bossed it for West ham for a few months at one stage.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He was excellent. His problems were 100% off the pitch.

Hopefully Rooneys comments put the whole "was here ever actually that talented" question to rest. Anyone who actually watched him as a youth agrees that he was an insane talent.
I can understand that, but there's just countless examples of that all across the world. I know a dozen people personally you can apply that about, including one that played for Chelsea youth (anyone remember Gael Kakuta?) and for the pro side for a quick second, who many thought was going to be the next X or Y legend, with ridiculous highlights in youth tournaments and is now playing for a club that just got relegated to Ligue 2, you almost never hear of him anymore. And that's just a dime a dozen.

I just don't get why this guy gets brought up so much over the years.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a good goal but Jack Wiltshire still turned out to be a better player. Ravel will go down as a what if player. Best case scenario for him is to bloom late like Jamie Vardy but Vardy had years of playing time and Ravel has barely 3 seasons when you add up all his games