Ravel Morrison | Derby player

You've never stepped foot in Wythenshawe have you?

What a bizarre take.
Wythenshawe? :lol:

We've got players in our squad who grew up in the slums of South America and Africa. I bet when Eric Bailly was walking down to his local well to get clean water he was thinking "at least I didnt grow up in Wythenshawe".

Morrison had every opportunity to make it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wythenshawe is still a place in the UK, where a person can depend on the government for food and place to live. I don't think people in bad areas of developed countries understand how much worse it could really be for them.
So why is there so much homeless across the UK if we can simply depend on the government for food and a place to live?

Bollocks does living in the UK mean you're spoon fed everything. Incredibly ignorant statement.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC

We've got players in our squad who grew up in the slums of South America and Africa. I bet when Eric Bailly was walking down to his local well to get clean water he was thinking "at least I didnt grow up in Wythenshawe".

Point proven. Just because he was born in the United Kingdom doesn't mean he was "spoon fed everything". It's a bizarre take. You lived in a "nice" country so you must have had a nice life? Give over.
Whats that got to do with anything? So is Marcus Rashford who just took on the government
And? What exactly is your point? Rashford made it so everyone that can kick a ball from Wythenshawe can and should make it?

Point proven. Just because he was born in the United Kingdom doesn't mean he was "spoon fed everything". It's a bizarre take. You lived in a "nice" country so you must have had a nice life? Give over.
No, but being scouted by United at the age of 8 does.

He's there making out he had such a hard upbringing, whilst playing alongside guys who would have killed for the opportunities he had, and wasted, growing up in a place like Wythenshawe.

He had everything he ever needed to succeed and he threw it all away, and that Tweet is just making excuses.

sp_107

Everyone raved about his natural talent but why he couldn't cut it even after he got his act together and stay focussed?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

He's there making out he had such a hard upbringing, whilst playing alongside guys who would have killed for the opportunities he had, and wasted, growing up in a place like Wythenshawe.

He had everything he ever needed to succeed and he threw it all away, and that Tweet is just making excuses.
Rashford's mum appears to be a mighty fine lady, I don't know whether Ravel's family are similarly impressive. Not that that means he couldn't have risen above it of course, but not all people from Wythenshawe have the same opportunities just because they're from the same place. I agree Morrison is a plonker though.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC

This should be good, fully explain why being scouted at United ensures you have everything you need in life.

It's one thing to say he had the opportunity and he pissed it away, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. It's an entirely other thing to allude that he was privileged and never had a worry in the world simply for being from the UK and playing for United, when you quite clearly don't know his background and upbringing. Yes, it's a privilege to play for United, but that doesn't mean he was privileged outside of that, at all.

This should be good, fully explain why being scouted at United ensures you have everything you need in life.
The club gave him countless opportunities to get himself sorted out and he didn't take a single one. If he had wanted it, everything was there for him.

Rashford's mum appears to be a mighty fine lady, I don't know whether Ravel's family are similarly impressive. Not that that means he couldn't have risen above it of course, but not all people from Wythenshawe have the same opportunities just because they're from the same place. I agree Morrison is a plonker though.
They don't, but they DO have good opportunities compared to a lot of other footballers, just by virtue of being in the UK. Ravel is there making out he had it terribly hard. Maybe compared to other people he grew up with he did, but there are plenty in the Premier League who overcame much worse and don't use their upbringing as an excuse.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Indeed. This article on Antonio Valencia really highlights the disparity between the UK and elsewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/may/13/antonio-valencia-manchester-united

Lonely Planet describes Lago Agrio as an "unkempt oil town, not high on tourists' lists" and advises that any visitors should "keep their heads down". This scruffy, sometimes scary, outpost of north-east Ecuador is where Antonio Valencia was born and spent much of his youth either playing football barefoot or helping his mother sell drinks outside a sports stadium.

Carved out of Amazonian jungle when, in the early 1960s, oil was discovered and Texaco began drilling, Lago Agrio has suffered for its black gold. While an amalgam of appalling pollution and destruction of rainforest became the subject of a lawsuit involving Texaco's parent company, Chevron, local problems have been further exacerbated by a flood of refugees from the cocaine wars raging across the nearby Colombian border. "Kidnapping is a problem," says Valencia, who ensured his parents and six siblings moved to Quito, Ecuador's capital, once he exported his skills to Europe. "But I had a very happy childhood."

Considering he spent countless hours scouring the streets for empty, discarded, glass bottles which his father sold to a recycling operation, that upbringing also ranks among the harshest experienced by any Manchester United player. A subscriber to the theory that tough backgrounds breed hungry achievers, Sir Alex Ferguson has extracted considerable capital from the deprivations of his own youth in Govan, but all things are relative. Set alongside Valencia's back story, the United manager's early experiences on Clydeside suddenly look safely suburban while Rio Ferdinand's infancy amid Peckham's meanest estates appears almost cosily twee

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The club gave him countless opportunities to get himself sorted out and he didn't take a single one. If he had wanted it, everything was there for him.

They don't, but they DO have good opportunities compared to a lot of other footballers, just by virtue of being in the UK. Ravel is there making out he had it terribly hard. Maybe compared to other people he grew up with he did, but there are plenty in the Premier League who overcame much worse and don't use their upbringing as an excuse.
Having shit family and friends is just as good an indicator of how you'll turn out than where you're born though.

Stacks

They wouldn’t say as they said it wasn’t their right to. But they were pretty adamant that it was very hard.

It's one thing to say he had the opportunity and he pissed it away, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. It's an entirely other thing to allude that he was privileged and never had a worry in the world simply for being from the UK and playing for United, when you quite clearly don't know his background and upbringing. Yes, it's a privilege to play for United, but that doesn't mean he was privileged outside of that, at all.
Privilege doesn't mean you don't have to worry. A privilege could be having a roof over your head, gas and electric or having people willing to come and pick you up to go football etc. Its complex.

I heard Neville and Tevez agent talking about Tevez having a mad upbringing. Think his Dad was killed in a shootout in his ghetto when he was young. Apparently Ravel is actually a nice lad though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Only Ravell Morrison could get a load of internet posters to argue about class, when he's just a failure.

saivet

And it's a credit to them but it shouldn't be used to slight others. I'm sure there are more players who didn't make it or didn't live up to their potential having gone through difficult life experiences than those who did.

We don't know what he went through but it's pretty obvious that people react to different life experiences in different ways. Just because one person can get through a difficult period doesn't mean that the next person should also be expected to get through it.

TsuWave

Not that I care for Ravel, but the existence of people in supposedly worse circumstances doesn't invalidate that there are people with struggles in the UK. That's a weird take.

Maybe Arsenal should give him a try since he's supposedly a big Arsenal fan. I've never really understood what the hype around him was, and yes, I've seen that one gif with that one nutmeg, and the scissor kick goal in training video he's been living off of for damn near a decade.

Not that I care for Ravel, but the existence of people in supposedly worse circumstances doesn't invalidate that there are people with struggles in the UK. That's a weird take.

Maybe Arsenal should give him a try since he's supposedly a big Arsenal fan. I've never really understood what the hype around him was, and yes, I've seen that one gif with that one nutmeg, and the scissor kick goal in training video he's been living off of for damn near a decade.
The 'hype' was there because fans and people within the club were watching him tear it up at each stage of the youth set up, culminating in winning the FA Youth Cup (scoring lots along the way, and two in the final).

He obviously hasn't had the other stuff in place to make it as a top level pro. But putting him down and denying his talent is wrong.

Gopher Brown

Ravel has paid his dues, is now a good trainer and has sorted out his head. The problem is he is not that good right now. I think it would complete the feel good story of our team currently if we could bring Ravel back for preseason camp. He plays in a position we need (we should not buy Grealish), he could take Lingard's spot (with a far higher ceiling) and get used to playing in training with us. Ravel is a symbol of how we have been mismanaged from SAF till Ole. If Ole can bring him in (and I do think Sheffield United's hiring of him last year and last year's closed-door preseason match with Sheffield United had something behind it) that would be a symbol of us taking care our own and, if he does show promise as a Bruno backup, we can play him in League Cups and, who knows, maybe it could be the biggest resurrection ever?
a) How has be paid his dues exactly?
b) What makes you say he’s a good trainer?
c) You realise he left the club while SAF was in charge
d) Why do you think he deserves a chance over literally any other player in our academy?

I don’t think even you believe the words you’ve written here.

Josep Dowling

F1D

Totally agree. Dzeko, Lovren and many more Balcan players had to suffer the Yugoslavian wars, hide for days and nights and see their friends and neighbours getting killed on a daily basis and look at them making it on the highest level. I do not say that living in UK is easy but being under the Manchester United's blanket since 8 can't be worse than living in the favelas or eating once per day and drinking contaminated water.

Reactions: golden_blunder

TsuWave

The 'hype' was there because fans and people within the club were watching him tear it up at each stage of the youth set up, culminating in winning the FA Youth Cup (scoring lots along the way, and two in the final).

He obviously hasn't had the other stuff in place to make it as a top level pro. But putting him down and denying his talent is wrong.
I said I never understood the hype around him (I'm clearly talking about from what I've seen). How the hell does that translate to "putting him down"? People seem to believe football coaches are infallible. People tend to talk up their prospects/players. I didn't even state he was a talentless bum or anything.

clarkydaz

And? What exactly is your point? Rashford made it so everyone that can kick a ball from Wythenshawe can and should make it?
The point is you portrayed because someone is from whythenshawe they automatically have baggage. i gave you the perfect polar opposite example of a current young united player focused on being a top pro and reaping the benefits. He was given preferential treatment at united pissing off other young lads there at the time, the club stood by him in court with the law and got to a point the great SAF said he is beyond help and sent him away.

i couldnt even count the number of clubs he has had now and as someone just said he is famous for a few magic clips from years ago, not in a pro game enviroment

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It was not that he had troubles growing up but he had immense help to get out of that situation but he didn't take them. Today if he complains about issues growing up, then obviously people are going to point that out.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Wythenshawe is still a place in the UK, where a person can depend on the government for food and place to live. I don't think people in bad areas of developed countries understand how much worse it could really be for them.
It's got nothing to do with Wythenshawe or anywhere else. A shitty upbringing, with all the chaos and abuse it could bring, is a shitty upbringing - regardless of where it takes place. There's always someone worse off but I doubt that's any consolation if you can't sleep at night because your mum's up doing crack and her boyfriend is sneaking into your room to abuse you. I'm not saying this has happened to him but it does and that deserves sympathy, not some lazy platitude about 'thinking yourself lucky you don't live in the third world'.

In Rainbows

I said I never understood the hype around him (I'm clearly talking about from what I've seen). How the hell does that translate to "putting him down"? People seem to believe football coaches are infallible. People tend to talk up their prospects/players. I didn't even state he was a talentless bum or anything.
But you admitted to not seeing much of him in general. Not sure how coaches can be wrong when talent is just obvious. It just looks like hindsight from you. Him not making it has nothing to do with the reasons you stated as in our coaches and youth watchers just talk up our prospects when they're not all that. Just look at a more recent example of Rashford and Gribbin. Both performed similar at youth level with Gribbin being slightly younger. How can anyone who watched both at youth levels know Rashford would take off like he did and not Gribbin?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Totally agree. Dzeko, Lovren and many more Balcan players had to suffer the Yugoslavian wars, hide for days and nights and see their friends and neighbours getting killed on a daily basis and look at them making it on the highest level. I do not say that living in UK is easy but being under the Manchester United's blanket since 8 can't be worse than living in the favelas or eating once per day and drinking contaminated water.
You're comparing traumas based on absolutely nothing and that's a horrible thing to do and really don't think you realise this.

Under your logic, all those players who got abused at Chelsea and other top clubs who didn't make it, should be grateful that they didn't live in a 3rd world country because they got given every opportunity?

The point is, you can only speculate on his personal life. Yes he's been given opportunity and he's squandered them, no one can deny that. But if as an adult hes saying he went through shit growing up and that's the reason he is the way he is, without knowing details you can simply say he played for United from age 8, he was fine.

It's an absolutely ridiculous and ignorant take.

The point is you portrayed because someone is from whythenshawe they automatically have baggage. i gave you the perfect polar opposite example of a current young united player focused on being a top pro and reaping the benefits. He was given preferential treatment at united pissing off other young lads there at the time, the club stood by him in court with the law and got to a point the great SAF said he is beyond help and sent him away.

i couldnt even count the number of clubs he has had now and as someone just said he is famous for a few magic clips from years ago, not in a pro game enviroment
Again, so what? Rashford making it and Morrisons not, doesn't effect the commonly known fact that Wythenshawe is a shithole.

TsuWave

But you admitted to not seeing much of him in general. Not sure how coaches can be wrong when talent is just obvious. It just looks like hindsight from you. Him not making it has nothing to do with the reasons you stated as in our coaches and youth watchers just talk up our prospects when they're not all that. Just look at a more recent example of Rashford and Gribbin. Both performed similar at youth level with Gribbin being slightly younger. How can anyone who watched both at youth levels know Rashford would take off like he did and not Gribbin?
What are we arguing here? At which point did I say I've not seen much of him? I said I've seen the gif and video that have been reposted ad nauseam, because, well, it gets posted ad nauseam when people talk about Ravel Morrison. Does this translate/equate to "I've not seen much of him" to you? When did I say he didn't make it for XYZ reasons or "our coaches and youth watchers just talk up our prospects when they're not all that"? Is this a reading comprehension issue?

I say I never understood the hype around him.
Someone else replied implying that I was "putting him down" and that the hype was justified because our youth watchers and coaches saw him tear up youth club football.
I then questioned how am I putting him down by saying I never understood the hype? and said that coaches are not infallible and often talk up their prospects/players. This isn't inherently wrong, in fact, I believe it's what they're supposed to do, but this doesn't mean I'm saying this is the reason Ravel's failed or that it was even the particular case here. I was simply letting that poster know I don't take statements from coaches as the be all end all in terms of corroboration.

In Rainbows

What are we arguing here? At which point did I say I've not seen much of him? I said I've seen the gif and video that have been reposted ad nauseam, because, well, it gets posted ad nauseam when people talk about Ravel Morrison. Does this translate/equate to "I've not seen much of him" to you? When did I say he didn't make it for XYZ reasons or "our coaches and youth watchers just talk up our prospects when they're not all that"? Is this a reading comprehension issue?

I say I never understood the hype around him.
Someone else replied implying that I was "putting him down" and that the hype was justified because our youth watchers and coaches saw him tear up youth club football.
I then questioned how am I putting him down by saying I never understood the hype? and said that coaches are not infallible and often talk up their prospects/players. This isn't inherently wrong, in fact, I believe it's what they're supposed to do, but this doesn't mean I'm saying this is the reason Ravel's failed or that it was even the particular case here. I was simply letting that poster know I don't take statements from coaches as the be all end all in terms of corroboration.
Because anyone that saw him at youth level would agree he was a top prospect with a lot of talent. I honestly am baffled anyone could think he wasn't talented.

I refuse to believe anyone saw him and thought he wasn't all that and it was simply a case of supporters/coaches talking up their own youth player. His first touch, his close control, his end product, etc... were all top class. What about his performances at youth level would lead you to think it was simply a case of others clearly overhyping him?

" People seem to believe football coaches are infallible. People tend to talk up their prospects/players. "

I'm not sure how Ravel failing was a case of coaches proving they're infallible or people talking up their own player. There is nobody who could look at Ravel and have some insight that would guarantee he wasn't all that apart from attitude (which isn't seen on the pitch). This is why I brought up Rashford and Gribbin. Nobody could watch the two and have some insight to show that Rashford would make it and Gribbin wouldn't based on ability.

Its completely different from comparing Ravel to say Tunnicliffe. Anybody that watches could point to Tunnicliffe's obvious deficiencies as a player. Lack of technique being obvious. Or Zidane Iqbal from Ravel. Although the career of Iqball is still quite open, my point is to say that although he has the technique that Tunnicliffe doesn't have, anybody that watches the youth sides could tell you that Iqbal hasn't dominated the u18s.

In the case of Ravel, he clearly was talented and clearly proved his talent was warranted at youth level.

If this discussion is about Ravel at first team level, then it's an entirely separate discussion which has nothing to do with our coaches or the hype behind him because it was clearly based on his time at youth level, not at first team level. I don't see anyone basing any type of hype on his first team level performances.

fps

Quite simply, we have no idea what may have been happening in the home in a child protection sense and this argument about England as a developed country is irrelevant to that.

That said he still had every opportunity to make it and at some point you’ve just gotta say he couldn’t do it.

Last edited:

United58

The story goes that Rashford has a very down-to-earth family, Morrison doesn't - not sure how true that is

Your words:

'I've never really understood what the hype around him was, and yes, I've seen that one gif with that one nutmeg, and the scissor kick goal in training video he's been living off of for damn near a decade'

Bojan Djordjic

Unfortunately, I knew he wouldn't make it when Sir Alex sold him.

Sir Alex bends a lot for talent, by his own admission, so it would have taken a lot for him to throw in that towel.

Was nice seeing a couple of World-Class flashes of brilliance when he was at West Ham. But i'll always feel a bit sad we never got that alternate universe where Ravel Morrison was devoted and committed to football. How good would he have been?!

Greenwood is probably our best talent since then, and seems a lot more level-headed luckily.
Weird, did you know Pogba wouldn't make it when SAF sold him to Juventus?

Kag

Just because young people in the UK aren’t necessarily living in favelas, or in a country with a lack of clean water, does not mean to say that we demean the very real poverty that exists within relevant areas.

I’d peg that level of thinking alongside the ‘well, he can’t be depressed, he’s loaded’ line that is often spouted by your jumped-up breed of idiot.

Unfortunately, there are children in the UK that live under circumstances that are simply unacceptable, bordering on unspeakable. That should go without saying really, but apparently not...

As for Morrison, I have no idea what he has experienced. What I will say is that he’ll have had opportunities at United that most will never have. Clearly it wasn’t enough to counter whatever else was going on. I’m not really in a position to judge him, however.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just because young people in the UK aren’t necessarily living in favelas, or in a country with a lack of clean water, does not mean to say that we demean the very real poverty that exists within relevant areas.

I’d peg that level of thinking alongside the ‘well, he can’t be depressed, he’s loaded’ line that is often spouted by your jumped-up breed of idiot.

Unfortunately, there are children in the UK that live under circumstances that are simply unacceptable, bordering on unspeakable. That should go without saying really, but apparently not...

As for Morrison, I have no idea what he has experienced. What I will say is that he’ll have had opportunities at United that most will never have. Clearly it wasn’t enough to counter whatever else was going on. I’m not really in a position to judge him, however.
Well said.

TsuWave

Because anyone that saw him at youth level would agree he was a top prospect with a lot of talent. I honestly am baffled anyone could think he wasn't talented.
I didn't even state he was a talentless bum or anything.
:lol: Yeah, it's a reading comprehension issue. I'm not going to read the rest of your post. Argue with yourself.

In Rainbows

:lol: Yeah, it's a reading comprehension issue. I'm not going to read the rest of your post. Argue with yourself.
You just did the same thing I did. Clearly I'm not arguing over you thinking he's not talented. I know you don't think that. I'm arguing with your opinion that you thought he was overhyped and that you thought he wasn't all that. It's a strange opinion and reeks of hindsight. Like, what would you base that on? Production? Technique? Decision making? There has to be something.

For example, I thought Thorpe was better than Keane at youth level. Thought Keane had more mistakes in him. However, it's clear that his body was better for being a CB. I still maintain that opinion to this day despite Keane playing in the PL and Thorpe going on to play in India. Sorry, but your post just looks like a case of hindsight.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This is possibly the case, but it reads him feeling sorry for himself and a sense of entitlement.

Whatever obstacles he has overcome he was given an immense talent as a way out and he doesn’t seem to have recognised that.
Weren't the main obstacles to his success the unsavoury characters that he called friends and associated with in Manchester? Happy to be corrected but I thought that was why SAF was happy for him to leave and try to start over elsewhere.

As such, I'm inclined to believe it was more down to poor life choices than any significant obstacles. Again, happy to be shown the light on this.

Bwuk

None of us know Morrison’s personal life, what’s went on and why he’s not panned out like we hoped.

It’s a shame West Ham didn’t work out for him. He’ll end up at Salford.