Ravel Morrison | Derby player

OrcaFat

He wouldn't make the bench of our FA Cup team yesterday
I’m sure that’s true but I haven’t seen him play since he left us. Is he so very much worse than he was when he was here?

As a barometer, would you say “peak” Ravel was better than (say) Dan James?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’m sure that’s true but I haven’t seen him play since he left us. Is he so very much worse than he was when he was here?

Peak Ravel was better than Pogba et al in that youth team. He could make the ball sing at times.

James deserves the right to play at Utd because he’s a thorough professional and also a Welsh international on merit

Chipper

Adulterer.

Well he couldn't make it at one of the worst teams in the Mexican league, one of the worst teams in the Dutch league, at a random Swedish team or at Sheffield United. How good do you think he is?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Bring him in as cover for Bruno to save him playing so many games. Not really.
Good white text, this. Putting it below the seen verbiage gives it away too often.

On an aside, he’s just not that good, is he? At one point, he was, but not anymore.

OrcaFat

Peak Ravel was better than Pogba et al in that youth team. He could make the ball sing at times.

James deserves the right to play at Utd because he’s a thorough professional and also a Welsh international on merit
Sure, I feel bad using James for comparison.

Youth Ravel was awesome, for a youth player. What I’m trying to gauge is whether he ever reached a level that would get him into our senior squad as it is today.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Youth Ravel was awesome, for a youth player. What I’m trying to gauge is whether he ever reached a level that would get him into our senior squad as it is today.

Gives you a glimpse of what he could do

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Good white text, this. Putting it below the seen verbiage gives it away too often.

On an aside, he’s just not that good, is he? At one point, he was, but not anymore.
Just further proof (as if we needed it) that natural talent is only half the battle.

OrcaFat

Gives you a glimpse of what he could do
Thanks for posting that. I do remember seeing it now. But he barely played for West Ham in three years. His career history and appearance record suggest he is actually rubbish (despite having a truckload of ability).

Ability was not the issue but the rest of his attributes did not develop properly. Even so, he had the ability to score out of nothing. Does he still have it? He just got picked for Jamaica but can’t get into a club side anywhere, it seems. I’m wondering if he was ever a developed enough player to have got into our current squad. If we were losing 1-0 and you had (sorry Dan) James or “peak” senior pro level Ravel on the bench, who do you send on?

K Stand Knut

What part of not breaking in to the Sheffield United team, or now the ADO Den Haag team is hard to understand that he wouldn’t get anywhere near our match day squad. In any circumstances.

not in the league, not in Europe, not in the FA Cup and not even against Luton on the league cup.

If you’d rather see Morrison given a chance over one of the youth players, Laird, Levitt, Garner, as examples, you need to go and see a doctor.

RUCK4444

What I’m trying to gauge is whether he ever reached a level that would get him into our senior squad as it is today.
No. Never. Not once.

He was a good youth player and has done nothing on a competitive level of note, less than Januzaj, less than feckin Bebe, less than Dan James.

I was once told he was as talented as Ronaldinho, people here have a hard on for him and I have no reason why.

RashyForPM

Thanks for posting that. I do remember seeing it now. But he barely played for West Ham in three years. His career history and appearance record suggest he is actually rubbish (despite having a truckload of ability).

Ability was not the issue but the rest of his attributes did not develop properly. Even so, he had the ability to score out of nothing. Does he still have it? He just got picked for Jamaica but can’t get into a club side anywhere, it seems. I’m wondering if he was ever a developed enough player to have got into our current squad. If we were losing 1-0 and you had (sorry Dan) James or “peak” senior pro level Ravel on the bench, who do you send on?
I mean if he had realised his potential, he wouldn’t be on the bench. In fact, considering what I remember of him in the youth team and the plaudits he got, he’d probably take Bruno’s spot and Bruno would have to settle for Pogba’s as the supporting cast in the starting XI. And this is Bruno btw, one of the best performing players in the world since January 2020.

Unfortunately though, for various reasons, Ravel didn’t and probably isn’t even a Championship player these days.

Rockets Redglare

I mean if he had realised his potential, he wouldn’t be on the bench. In fact, considering what I remember of him in the youth team and the plaudits he got, he’d probably take Bruno’s spot and Bruno would have to settle for Pogba’s as the supporting cast in the starting XI. And this is Bruno btw, one of the best performing players in the world since January 2020.

Unfortunately though, for various reasons, Ravel didn’t and probably isn’t even a Championship player these days.
He was a decent youth player, stop acting like he was the next Messi.

he’s barely a professional footballer.

his reputation as a great youth player grows each year.

Rockets Redglare

Nah he was more than "decent".
Easily the most talented I've seen in the youth team. That includes the likes of Pogba, Rashford and Greenwood.
Youth talent doesn’t mean a thing as a professional, so to say he’d keep Bruno out of the team based on a couple of years of good performances as a kid is a ridiculous statement.

OrcaFat

What part of not breaking in to the Sheffield United team, or now the ADO Den Haag team is hard to understand that he wouldn’t get anywhere near our match day squad. In any circumstances.

not in the league, not in Europe, not in the FA Cup and not even against Luton on the league cup.

If you’d rather see Morrison given a chance over one of the youth players, Laird, Levitt, Garner, as examples, you need to go and see a doctor.
I wouldn’t rather see him here at all. I wouldn’t even say he is (or ever has been, as first teamer) any good at all, because I don’t know.

I didn’t see him play, except for the odd clip, after he left us. I don’t know why he has never settled anywhere but keeps getting contracts. I don’t know why he gets cut, attitude or performance. Maybe I should go and see a doctor just for asking.

Most (who’ve paid more attention than me) don’t have good things to say about him. But what a player he was at youth level.

K Stand Knut

I wouldn’t rather see him here at all. I wouldn’t even say he is (or ever has been, as first teamer) any good at all, because I don’t know.

I didn’t see him play, except for the odd clip, after he left us. I don’t know why he has never settled anywhere but keeps getting contracts. I don’t know why he gets cut, attitude or performance. Maybe I should go and see a doctor just for asking.

Most (who’ve paid more attention than me) don’t have good things to say about him. But what a player he was at youth level.
He was a thieving little twat. That was the most notable thing he did as a youngster at United.

Talented? Maybe. Didn’t have the personality or drive to make it.

Probably a massive waste but he’s only got himself to blame

city-puma

I read an article in the Athletic about him yesterday - where one of the coaches at Osterand praised him for being reliable, helping out some of the staff etc. It also gave insight into some of the mental issues he's had throughout his life e.g. ADHD. It was interesting as it gave insight into another side of him.

I think people judge him too harshly for not being a top level player, but talent is only half the battle. Luck, support, mental health all play a part too.
I didn’t know he has ADHD until reading your post.
That completely changes my opinion. It must be an everyday struggle for many things he has to deal with. Wish he live his life as happy as possible.

K Stand Knut

I didn’t know he has ADHD until reading your post.
That completely changes my opinion. It must be an everyday struggle for many things he has to deal with. Wish he live his life as happy as possible.
I read that too.

Didn’t it say something about United and the club messing up his medication or support, or something

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
I follow the Mexican league and he didn't stand out at all during his time there. Kazim Richards had a better stint in Mexico

Red_toad

He was a decent youth player, stop acting like he was the next Messi.
If he was a decent youth player then Greenwood, Rashford etc were all average. Lad was a genuine class act. But he’s fecked in the head. Can’t get away with missing training and going awol in the modern game.

Red_toad

I read an article in the Athletic about him yesterday - where one of the coaches at Osterand praised him for being reliable, helping out some of the staff etc. It also gave insight into some of the mental issues he's had throughout his life e.g. ADHD. It was interesting as it gave insight into another side of him.

I think people judge him too harshly for not being a top level player, but talent is only half the battle. Luck, support, mental health all play a part too.
He doesn’t have ADHD. Traumatic things happened to him in his youth, messed him up very badly apparently.

b82REZ

He doesn’t have ADHD. Traumatic things happened to him in his youth, messed him up very badly apparently.
Saw an interview with Neville in the summer where he stated he keeps in touch with Ravel. He implied there were far more demons that we are aware of that derailed the lads career. Such a shame

dabeast

Everyone, if you love Man Utd, PLEASE watch this , heartbreaking, poignant, brilliant interview with Ravel Morrison and see if we as a community, even if on purely humanitarian grounds, can help him.

It is clear that his family background, growing up in a single-parent family, did not set him up to avoid trouble (which he acknowledges now that he is older) and take things seriously at Man Utd. He was on a scholar's wage and his mother didn't have the resources to get him to training on time (he had to ask for rides and sometimes showed up in a white van, sometimes even came on his bicycle) and he really suffered at the club because of the resulting tardiness. He admits to stealing boots from the changing room to sell off. When asked why, he said because it would give him enough money to put Chinese food on the family table and he would look like a star to his family.

Football and its management could have helped him more too. He describes how no one would talk to him from the first-team coaching staff at Utd, so never felt (ludicrously) that he ever had a chance of getting into the first team. When he went to West Ham where he was doing well and enjoying it, he says that Sam Allardyce made it a requirement that he dump his agent and sign with Allardyce's agent in order to sign a new contract with West Ham. When Ravel refused on account of loyalty, Sam refused to play him and later refused to sell him to Harry Redknapp's QPR where he had had a successful loan and sold him to Cardiff.

Seeing this interview, one's heart goes out to the kids in the ultra high-pressure, incredibly selective, performance industry that is football. Imagine the disappointment of being a young player (a child) told that they weren't good enough and had to do something else rather than the one thing they had spent their whole lives upto that point training for. Add to that the lack of support and guidance that is present even at the BEST CLUB ACADEMY. And, to top it off, the clear quid pro quo for illegal bungs and the like in the professional game. Players without a strong family background face many more obstacles and Ravel, despite his clear footballing genius, fell between the cracks.

What is there to be done? From a footballing standpoint, he is now 28 so unlikely to tear up any trees. Yet, if United is a family club as we keep saying, we should be able to take care of one of our own. Ravel has not played much football and because of his talent (he was never reliant on pace) he could easily play for another 7 years. So, couldn't we start a campaign for United to sign him (he is a free agent), loan him out to a Championship club to see if he can get some good minutes and, if that works, bring him into our setup next season? How little would that cost and how feel good a story that would be that United could partially right what seems like a deep wrong (but must happen frequently). A story that would make everyone feel better.

We are not glory hunting fans only but also a community and I would love to believe that we could get this done. Rio seems to care that he was treated badly and has the platform to amplify this potential campaign, it would be great to bring this idea to him.

Judas

Open to offers
He comes across as quite a damaged soul in that interview, such a lack of belief and confidence in himself. Staggering to hear how little he rated his own talent when he was younger. Fascinating to see that sort of insight into him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Everyone, if you love Man Utd, PLEASE watch this , heartbreaking, poignant, brilliant interview with Ravel Morrison and see if we as a community, even if on purely humanitarian grounds, can help him.

It is clear that his family background, growing up in a single-parent family, did not set him up to avoid trouble (which he acknowledges now that he is older) and take things seriously at Man Utd. He was on a scholar's wage and his mother didn't have the resources to get him to training on time (he had to ask for rides and sometimes showed up in a white van, sometimes even came on his bicycle) and he really suffered at the club because of the resulting tardiness. He admits to stealing boots from the changing room to sell off. When asked why, he said because it would give him enough money to put Chinese food on the family table and he would look like a star to his family.

Football and its management could have helped him more too. He describes how no one would talk to him from the first-team coaching staff at Utd, so never felt (ludicrously) that he ever had a chance of getting into the first team. When he went to West Ham where he was doing well and enjoying it, he says that Sam Allardyce made it a requirement that he dump his agent and sign with Allardyce's agent in order to sign a new contract with West Ham. When Ravel refused on account of loyalty, Sam refused to play him and later refused to sell him to Harry Redknapp's QPR where he had had a successful loan and sold him to Cardiff.

Seeing this interview, one's heart goes out to the kids in the ultra high-pressure, incredibly selective, performance industry that is football. Imagine the disappointment of being a young player (a child) told that they weren't good enough and had to do something else rather than the one thing they had spent their whole lives upto that point training for. Add to that the lack of support and guidance that is present even at the BEST CLUB ACADEMY. And, to top it off, the clear quid pro quo for illegal bungs and the like in the professional game. Players without a strong family background face many more obstacles and Ravel, despite his clear footballing genius, fell between the cracks.

What is there to be done? From a footballing standpoint, he is now 28 so unlikely to tear up any trees. Yet, if United is a family club as we keep saying, we should be able to take care of one of our own. Ravel has not played much football and because of his talent (he was never reliant on pace) he could easily play for another 7 years. So, couldn't we start a campaign for United to sign him (he is a free agent), loan him out to a Championship club to see if he can get some good minutes and, if that works, bring him into our setup next season? How little would that cost and how feel good a story that would be that United could partially right what seems like a deep wrong (but must happen frequently). A story that would make everyone feel better.

We are not glory hunting fans only but also a community and I would love to believe that we could get this done. Rio seems to care that he was treated badly and has the platform to amplify this potential campaign, it would be great to bring this idea to him.
While it’s great to care about ex-players and give him all the support that he needs in terms of his well-being and mental health, it would be insulting to him, and all the other failed youth team players that have come through the ranks, to do something like this.

The fact is, no one is owed such a high profile career and only the best earn it. He wasn’t good enough and he has had multiple chances to prove the contrary.

Football, and even the premier league, are filled with examples of players who came from broken homes, problem areas and difficult upbringings.

Cristiano Ronaldo grew up in poverty on Madeira and his coaches described him as malnourished in his early years. Raheem Sterling was only 2 years old when his father was murdered and used to help his grandmother clean toilets before his classes. There are hundreds of stories like these.

It is very sad if his upbringing contributed to his failure to succeed and I hope the club can help him come to terms with a career that never was and help him stay on the straight and narrow.

I don’t think he does, however, deserve special treatment in terms of his playing career. He just wasn’t good enough, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Varun1

I haven't watched it yet but I have a lot of sympathy for Morrison. There were rumours of the Allardyce situation before his time with England, and that's when I started thinking he's scum. I can also understand how his upbringing and his early years paved the way to much of his troubles.
But you paint it like United were as much at fault here, without knowing what the other side has to say.

Why should we campaing for him to get a place with United? Is he struggling with finances? Also, without knowing the truth, why have so many clubs in recent years released him?
What makes you think that a campaign to sign him back would even work!!

The community spirit in us should be helping out those thousands and thousands of people who are struggling in these difficult times, campaign for the club to allocate that money to people in need (they are doing a lot of good work it has to be said), not give it to Morrison!

dabeast

I haven't watched it yet but I have a lot of sympathy for Morrison. There were rumours of the Allardyce situation before his time with England, and that's when I started thinking he's scum. I can also understand how his upbringing and his early years paved the way to much of his troubles.
But you paint it like United were as much at fault here, without knowing what the other side has to say.

Why should we campaing for him to get a place with United? Is he struggling with finances? Also, without knowing the truth, why have so many clubs in recent years released him?
What makes you think that a campaign to sign him back would even work!!

The community spirit in us should be helping out those thousands and thousands of people who are struggling in these difficult times, campaign for the club to allocate that money to people in need (they are doing a lot of good work it has to be said), not give it to Morrison!
I see the point you are making about equality but we are fans of a football club and will never be able to help ALL people in trouble. Yet, symbols do matter in giving people hope but they only work if there is actually a possibility (there is no point making a campaign for a mediocre play other other than an Eddie the Eagle story). So, of all the players to have not made it at United, it is a fairly common consensus that Ravel was the most talented. Therefore, the story could really come together.

dabeast

While it’s great to care about ex-players and give him all the support that he needs in terms of his well-being and mental health, it would be insulting to him, and all the other failed youth team players that have come through the ranks, to do something like this.

The fact is, no one is owed such a high profile career and only the best earn it. He wasn’t good enough and he has had multiple chances to prove the contrary.

Football, and even the premier league, are filled with examples of players who came from broken homes, problem areas and difficult upbringings.

Cristiano Ronaldo grew up in poverty on Madeira and his coaches described him as malnourished in his early years. Raheem Sterling was only 2 years old when his father was murdered and used to help his grandmother clean toilets before his classes. There are hundreds of stories like these.

It is very sad if his upbringing contributed to his failure to succeed and I hope the club can help him come to terms with a career that never was and help him stay on the straight and narrow.

I don’t think he does, however, deserve special treatment in terms of his playing career. He just wasn’t good enough, and there is nothing wrong with that.
The Sterling and CR7 stories are great examples of how tough life can be. Yet, I don't think it is accurate that Ravel "just wasn't good enough". He clearly was and, with a few seemingly inconsequential but actually really important additions to his life, he could have been our current star. Special treatment, when used well, can be very powerful and Ravel's story seems like a good one. SAF sent a message to him through Rio with "his regards" for this video, he must know something too!

saivet

Listening to the interview and it's really sad.

What Big Sam did is a disgrace and unfortunately you hear of stories like that way too often in football. The crazy thing is that the story made the press at the time but I think Ravel's reputation was so damaged that no once really cared.

Morrison is one of many players to fall by the wayside.

would be interesting to know how much money he had made over the past decade? I suggest it’s more than most people make in a lifetime. :houllier:

the suggestion that we put him on our books at some side of gesture is as absurd as the Bebe transfer.

happy to support him, if he wants to raise awareness about the challenges of young players. But in no way should he be anywhere near the club in a playing capacity.