Ravel Morrison

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Being a consummate pro in football is not a separate factor. It's on the same level as being able to run 15 km or dribble past 5 opponents with ease. It's part of the package. Messi has it, Ronaldo has it. You can't be on their level if you don't have it.

Drz

Thought he had a decent game in the cup or something for Sheffield. If he becomes a regular in the league for them, and proves his ability: I wouldn't have any objections.
For some reason, with journey men of his ilk, I doubt he'd get much game time with Sheffield, notably in the league, the reasoning being : a-they deem him not good enough, b-he is good enough to actually attract interest, and all they would be doing is putting him in the shop window.

Dozer

Thought he had a decent game in the cup or something for Sheffield. If he becomes a regular in the league for them, and proves his ability: I wouldn't have any objections.
For some reason, with journey men of his ilk, I doubt he'd get much game time with Sheffield, notably in the league, the reasoning being : a-they deem him not good enough, b-he is good enough to actually attract interest, and all they would be doing is putting him in the shop window.
It's A then.

Wilder isn't going to leave him out on the off-chance somebody wants to sign him in the summer. His team have to survive in the league - he'll pick his best XI.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's A then.

Wilder isn't going to leave him out on the off-chance somebody wants to sign him in the summer. His team have to survive in the league - he'll pick his best XI.
Yeah, option b is a bit of a stretch, isn’t it? Why play any of your best players then, if it’s only going to attract interest from other clubs?

Drz

It's A then.

& @Ish

I'd guess so, A too.
The reason I came up with the second reason, because I'm pretty sure I heard it used out before with regards to loaned players.
Also, based solely on that cup game, I don't quite understand how he doesn't get into that 1st 11 of Sheffield's, he was one of their better players that day, if the not the most sound technically on the pitch, given I don't know their team, it could have been the second string.

I'm also slightly biased, I want the lad to do well. So check-up on the Sheffield match-day squad, and whilst he wasn't even in it at the beginning, he made the last one. So progress in some ways for him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There are many athletes in different sports who show a lot of talent as a teenager. Their outfield behavior is si bad that it becomes an excuse that follows them rest of their life. The funny thing is the older they get the bigger the myth becomes. In few years ravel will be seen as one of the most talented players ever who sadly got distracted by other things.

He is an English player who is technical. They get so overhyped. Look at Wilshere....he has shown far more and he was overhyped. Ravel hasnt shwn 1/20 of what he has.
No way will anybody view him as one of the most talented players ever - that is as ridiculous thing to say as that other crazy post from earlier. The stuff talked about this player is hilariously over the top with virtually nothing at all to back any of it up.

You say that English technical players get overhyped but then in the same post you say Morrison is one of the most talented players ever.

0le

I'm surprised we don't see the Jesse Lingard "he is still young" jokes with the guy.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm surprised we don't see the Jesse Lingard "he is still young" jokes with the guy.
Good shout. He's 3 months younger than Lingard too.

No way will anybody view him as one of the most talented players ever - that is as ridiculous thing to say as that other crazy post from earlier. The stuff talked about this player is hilariously over the top with virtually nothing at all to back any of it up.

You say that English technical players get overhyped but then in the same post you say Morrison is one of the most talented players ever.
I think he was saying that the myth will call him one of the most talented players to get distracted. Not one of the most talented players full stop, and it won't be him saying it, more that will be the story/narrative.

Not sure on that either, he'll probably just be forgotten altogether.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet

Im not saying that. I think he's a hype job. I think his myth will keep growing and some people will say that. Outside of 1 month in West Ham he has done nothing in senior football

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Good shout. He's 3 months younger than Lingard too.

I think he was saying that the myth will call him one of the most talented players to get distracted. Not one of the most talented players full stop, and it won't be him saying it, more that will be the story/narrative.

Not sure on that either, he'll probably just be forgotten altogether.
Ahh you are 100% right - apologies @Seaman for not reading your post correctly!

Darlington Padgett

mostly out of the squad so far. he got 10 minutes in one game, but can't remember who it was against, either Chelsea or Leicester. he did start in both of their cup games though.
12 minutes in the PL, 2 full games in the Carabao cup.

He was offically given man of the match if the first Carbao game which was essentially Sheff Utd reserves v Blackburn reserves. Whoscored didn't rate his appearance. Blackburn were easily the better side that night but Sheff Utd fluked their way through.

Then he played against Sunderland reserves and they got beat.
Thanks! I remember watching him a few years ago, such a shame how he ended up but I hope he turns this around and have at least some success.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
& @Ish

I'd guess so, A too.
The reason I came up with the second reason, because I'm pretty sure I heard it used out before with regards to loaned players.
Also, based solely on that cup game, I don't quite understand how he doesn't get into that 1st 11 of Sheffield's, he was one of their better players that day, if the not the most sound technically on the pitch, given I don't know their team, it could have been the second string.

I'm also slightly biased, I want the lad to do well. So check-up on the Sheffield match-day squad, and whilst he wasn't even in it at the beginning, he made the last one. So progress in some ways for him.
Yeah that’s all fair. He’s signed for them permanently though, or how does his deal work? Sorry man. Not too up to date so thought he was clubless (and hence training/trialing at Sheffield) and they signed him until the end of the season? If that’s the case, there’s no harm in playing him and if he does well, sign him on a better deal during the season to ward off other suitors.

I just can’t see them signing him, him turning out to be one of their best players and then the manager deciding not to play him. Would be absolutely mental. I’m guessing there’s a few factors as to why a couple of cup/reserve matches won’t propel him directly into first team action yet. It could be fitness, PL intensity, team cohesion/chemistry and having a settled first XI which the manager trusts & who got them promoted etc.

Drz

Yeah that’s all fair. He’s signed for them permanently though, or how does his deal work? Sorry man. Not too up to date so thought he was clubless (and hence training/trialing at Sheffield) and they signed him until the end of the season? If that’s the case, there’s no harm in playing him and if he does well, sign him on a better deal during the season to ward off other suitors.

I just can’t see them signing him, him turning out to be one of their best players and then the manager deciding not to play him. Would be absolutely mental. I’m guessing there’s a few factors as to why a couple of cup/reserve matches won’t propel him directly into first team action yet. It could be fitness, PL intensity, team cohesion/chemistry and having a settled first XI which the manager trusts & who got them promoted etc.
Agreed overall. Was not sure about his contract, so looked it up. 1 year contract.

Rossa

If he is able to turn it around without training properly and losing his focus for so many years, does that say something about footballers in general? Watching the world athletics in Doha, can you imagine many of those athletes being able to lose focus for so long and then winning a title?

There's a lot of talk and discussion about even top flight footballers being unprofessional at times - consuming too much alcohol and focussing on other things. Maybe that may be a factor that actually lends hope to Morrison? Apparently, he had/has the talent...

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Jesse Lingard is a better footballer then Ravel Morrison and that in itself is saying a lot. This guy simply is not and never was good enough.

dabeast

Ravel at No. 10 is a far better option against the weaker teams than Pereira, Lingard, Mata (and the likes of Maddison). With Pogba and McFredinay next to him that could be the midfield to unlock the low block.

fps

Ravel at No. 10 is a far better option against the weaker teams than Pereira, Lingard, Mata (and the likes of Maddison). With Pogba and McFredinay next to him that could be the midfield to unlock the low block.
Hahahahaha. He’s done nothing in the premier league, ever.

Hughes35

Absolute nonsense. He can't even get into a prem team.

If he is able to turn it around without training properly and losing his focus for so many years, does that say something about footballers in general? Watching the world athletics in Doha, can you imagine many of those athletes being able to lose focus for so long and then winning a title?

There's a lot of talk and discussion about even top flight footballers being unprofessional at times - consuming too much alcohol and focussing on other things. Maybe that may be a factor that actually lends hope to Morrison? Apparently, he had/has the talent...
He won't turn it around. If anything it shows the hard work and focus required to make it at the top. He had as much talent as anyone, but with no application he's now about League One level. To get into the Championship and Prem is all about how well you use what you're given.

Conor

There is no way you aren't Ravel Morrison.

Hughes35

a team above us
yea - To add to the list of teams he also couldn't make it as such as Man utd, West Ham, QPR, Cardiff, Lazio and now Sheffield Utd.

He will never be a top player and I've no idea why people are so obsessed with him. if he hadn't been a Utd youth team product and if Fergie hadn't have said some nice things about him he wouldn't even be Championship level at the moment.

Devil81

He's joined David Lloyd gym where I go and you'd never know he had money unless you knew who he was. He was flanked by his cronies and basically looked a bit of a scruff.

He's washed away his career refusing to give his bad boy lifestyle up and he has a bad attitude. Looking at him around the gym I can say that hasn't changed on bit.

Nines

He's joined David Lloyd gym where I go and you'd never know he had money unless you knew who he was. He was flanked by his cronies and basically looked a bit of a scruff.

He's washed away his career refusing to give his bad boy lifestyle up and he has a bad attitude. Looking at him around the gym I can say that hasn't changed on bit.
Come off it mate, what are you expecting him to be wearing at the gym? Full set of jewelry, jeans and £1000 trainers? In which case you'd call him flashy and say hes a show off? OT Ravel is clearly not a level we need and that is fine. He is still playing in the premier league, not every player in the world turns out to be a superstar and the whole digging in to his attitude and the way he acts at a gym by grown men is pretty strange. :houllier:

lsd

The Oracle

Yeah and i doubt it will ever change . I expect Sheffield to cut him loose before the season even ends

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Come off it mate, what are you expecting him to be wearing at the gym? Full set of jewelry, jeans and £1000 trainers? In which case you'd call him flashy and say hes a show off? OT Ravel is clearly not a level we need and that is fine. He is still playing in the premier league, not every player in the world turns out to be a superstar and the whole digging in to his attitude and the way he acts at a gym by grown men is pretty strange. :houllier:
When was that then?

Foxbatt

Surely he is much better than most players they? It's his attitude that's stopping him. Even in the few mins he played he was one of their better players.

macheda14

Sorry to bump this thread but there was a skill that he did versus I think Blackburn that was legitimately one of the best that all of us had seen. I’m always trying to find it to prove how good he might have been

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sorry to bump this thread but there was a skill that he did versus I think Blackburn that was legitimately one of the best that all of us had seen. I’m always trying to find it to prove how good he might have been

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sheffield are reportedly preparing to terminate his contract.

Go go Ole, sign Ravel and give him a stern talking to so he fulfills his otherworldly potential. (For free, this project is not worth money)