RAWK Goes Into Meltdown - Quadruple Watch 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
I watched the game via their in-house channel. They were quite busy compensating for this performance making reference to how many more points they finished ahead of us, when I was just enjoying not getting thumped. It is equally cringe to MUTV, and I guess it's less cringey to have their commentary to United's as it's less grating when you can just laugh at it.

Anyhow, give me some quotes where they are doubting their new 100m striker.
I watched on the same channel, my favourite parts:

- Salah was referred to exclusively as the ‘King of Egypt’ and not by his name at any point.
- Lots of talk of how this is never a friendly.
- Every time a United forward made a good pass, took a good touch or made a run, it was described as ‘brilliant’ so that when the Liverpool defender easily dealt with it, it was ‘world class defending’.
- At 3-0 down, Liverpool we’re unlucky, still the better team and would not have been 3-0 down in VVD was playing, the best CB ever.
- At 4-0 down, ‘the result is irrelevant’, ‘there’s a bigger picture here’, ‘it’s all about fitness’, ‘Liverpool finished 32 points ahead of United last season’, ‘Liverpool beat United and Everton home and away last season’, ‘they love Liverpool here, the last time we came here was in the treble season (yes he actually said treble season) under Houlier and the support was world class’.
- Bailly 100% blocked Nunez’s shot, despite the replay’s showing he didn’t.

Robbie Boy

This will be a 20/21 season for them all over again. Mark my words lads and lassies. This thread is going to be absolutely glorious. I can feel it in my bones.

Big Andy

Bloke

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's cute how they think we took the game more seriously than them just because they got a pasting
In fairness, preseason under a new manager gets players more engaged. We are wasting a good new manager bounce we could have used in December.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
from their United thread
before the game
Ten Hag says Maguire will be captain next season.
Excellent.
Emblematic of their lack of characters and big personalities. A squad of leadership-pygmies.
Also speaks volumes about ETH’s character.

As for “lots of success” you could only apply that to Maguire in terms of keeping himself out of a Greek prison.

"He is not with us due to personal issues. We are planning with Cristiano Ronaldo for this season. That is it," said former Ajax manager Ten Hag.

"I am looking forward to working with him. Cristiano is not for sale. He is in our plans. We want success together."

"Harry Maguire will be captain," he said. "He has been captain for more than a year. He has achieved a lot of success. I have no doubts about this issue."
Is it just me or is he sounding really desperate, amateur and pathetic here
He can't have really said Maguire has had lots of success, surely?
Well, he successfully conned an £80m fee out of Yernartid and successfully conned them into believing he is captain material. He also successfully got himself arrested and convicted in Mykonos. Despite being absolutely dire, he still manages to get into both the Yernartid and England sides.

He's certainly successful at pulling the wool over a lot of eyes.
Did they buy any player from Ajax today?
Ten Hag may as well have stayed at Ajax with a pay rise. He seems to want to buy their entire team.
I'm loving the "Ten Hag gives instructions to the players in training" "Sancho passed the ball to Rashford" as if it's some sort of genius, we get to go through all the crazy hype again before they flop, it's great. If they get a result against us tomorrow it'll be them v City for the title again.
Who would De Jong replace in their team? In other words, who would be pissed off if they signed him?
It's amazing the hopes being invested in their new coach. This is the same bloke who couldn't protect a 3 goal lead with 35 minutes to go of a European Cup semi-final. In a home leg. Against Tottenham - a team that had lost 4 of their previous 5 matches and were down and out and just waiting for the full-time whistle.
Are there any realistic alternatives for de Jong then if he can't stay at Barcelona?

I fail to think of anyone that would pay the asking price and offer him a competitive wage. Maybe he'll be loaned to someone if he refuses to leave the playa to move to Rainchester?
What an option, sit with your feet up at Barca or get piss wet through and freeze your tits off in a very very grey Manchester, win feck all, play in the Europa League and get your house burgled while playing.
Surely if anyone can prise De Jong’s nails from the Barcelona door frame, it’ll be Chelsea. They’ll match United’s wage offer plus the added attraction of CL football and living in London (culturally and lifestyle-wise compared to the shithole that is Manchester), and you know, actually having some decent players around him.
Near to 17 million I heard.
That's the big stumbling block.
You'd imagine the contract he signed to defer the wages deals with if he moves away and the fact they'd still be due. So can't see it being too much of a stumbling block.
If my employers owed me 17 million euro pleading poverty/COVID austerity (in reality gross financial incompetence) and then in the blink of a season, I saw them trying to hire the likes of Lewandowski, Kessie and that grade A prick Bernardo Silva, I’d be kicking up a little bit of a fuss, regardless of whether I wanted to stay or not.
Agree with that, and you'd hope there was some clause in the contract they signed that if they were sold before it was repaid then they'd be repaid from the proceeds of their sale.
I find it weird that Barca keep briefing that for De Jong to stay he has to take a pay-cut. Surely they realise that's not how it works?
De Jong is not special imo but they should finance that ridiculous Raphinha money by selling him imo.
Erik has banned mobile phones at dinner time apparently, to help foster team bonding. What a genius.
Coming in and treating footballers like children always works
It’s just got substitute teacher (*cough* Solskjær) vibes all over it, hasn’t it?
Class! Put those phones down! And let’s actually talk to each other, but not with mouths full remember. So, what did we all do on our summer holidays? Who’s going to go first? How about you, Donny?
Result tomorrow means nothing but I would absolutely love to see a repeat of the 2018 preseason humiliation we handed them in Ann Arbor in front of 100k (Shaq’s bicycle kick the coup de grâce), and of course Mourinho’s post-match petulant rant. Let’s see what stuff Erik is made of right from the off. I’m guessing cardboard.
How are they all going to look up Maguire's in depth Greek mythology lectures he gives over lunch so they know what he's on about?
Should also look into reducing Luke Shaw's dinner to only 1 horse.
It's utterly laughable how much the media are celebrating the tiniest possible thing under Ten Haag.
If it was us, they'd be asking how unprofessional are the LFC players, on the phones while eating, having to be told to put them down. Has Klopp lost control of the dressing room.
Next season should be even more of a clown show with two first teamers who don’t want to be there. Imagine the dummy spits dejong and Ronaldo have once the losses accumulate and the chance of champions league falls away once again.
I saw a #tenhagout hashtag last night, the reason being he has made Maguire captain. Poor little mites are very fickle arent they.
Wait till we beat them today. Sacked in the morning ...
To be fair, it’s pretty much his first big call, a free hit almost, and yet it’s a spectacular error of judgment.
Personally I’d have gone with Rashford. Not because of his admirable off the field activities but at least he has character as well as talent (Maguire has neither) plus he’s local and would be an acceptable choice to the rest of the squad, in the same way Hendo was when Klopp gave him the armband. Like our captain, it might also be the making of him.
I remember we played them in a pre-season ‘final’ around 2014. Lad on RedCaf said “I’m psyched for this - actually want this more than a league game”.

The odd thing about preseason is how it actually matters to far too many fans - results wise.

Watch social media tomorrow. The banter accounts will be all over whoever loses.
United have fallen a long way since Ferguson left 9 years ago. Even during our fallow period in the 90s we always had heroes to get excited about. United fans have nothing. I can’t see United winning the league for another 10 years. We and City are not going anywhere and United are miles behind us.
I can’t think of one United player who would make our first 11. Maybe Sancho in time and s younger De Gea. Given the money they have spent that’s shocking. The whole De Jong transfer saga is ridiculous for a club like United. I’m struggling to recall a transfer saga like this for us.
I can understand Ten Hag taking the job but he’s on a hiding to nothing. United fans still expect success despite the lack of quality on the pitch. As we type I had forgotten about Greenwood. He’s unlikely to play for them again. It truly is a shit show at OT. Payback time baby
You are underestimating how poor we were in the 90’s. Getting binned 3-0 by Strasbourg, battered 5-1 by Coventry. There’s a ton more games as well. United now are no better or worse than we were in the 90’s.
I don’t think you can say it’ll be 10 years before they win another title. Football turns around too quickly for that. Go back to us getting whacked by Stoke 6-1 in May 2015 and could you have envisioned the next 7 years. We had an average squad, broken manager at odds with the recruitment team and owners whose stewardship of the club at that point raise significant questions.
I hope the drought lasts another 10 years. It might do but bold claims like that feel like hyperbole to me. I’d be confident in saying they won’t win the title in the next 3 seasons. Maybe 5 if I was being bullish
The difference here is that Ten Hag is at least known as a competent/good manager. It's hard for a big club to keep screwing up the manager appointment like they did with Ole and then the weird Rangnick appointment.
He can't help but make them better from a fitness and tactical standpoint.
Will his methodology work in the PL compared to the absolute dominance he had at Ajax?
Can he change the club culture of entitlement amongst a group of exceptionally overpaid and overrated players? Time will tell (of course).
Can he get the wildly entitled fan base to calm the feck down and allow him to stumble in the first season a bit? Unlikely.
Can he get the mess of a boardroom/executives to give him time? I have no idea.
I don't think anyone should fear Man Utd anymore - but he should make them competent at least. Which of course isn't where they want to be.
Duncan Jenkins Castles now saying Man Utd are "making headway" in convincing Ronaldo to stay
So nobody wants him, basically.
after the game

Didn't know Mclaren had come in too. Nice Ten Haag decided to bring in someone that can speak dutch to help any potential language barrier.

*Fully expecting this joke to have been made already
Worrying Times™
First trophy in 6 years.
It’s too early to say if they’re back… but they’re back.
They’re getting giddy again
Ah just let them enjoy it, it's adorable.
Giddy mancs in pre season are ace, it makes their comedown so much tougher and even more hilarious
Some of them have gone from admitting it may take years to turn things around, to thinking they’re already there after a couple of weeks training.

Klopp must hate these commercial requirements. He’d much rather be at a training camp or back in Liverpool.
Remember when people used to say “imagine how insufferable Liverpool fans would be if they win the league” - is this what they meant?
34 points off us last year. First match of pre season win. Corner turned .

I’m counting the days when they have a big dose of realism, it’s the hope that gets them every single year
I guess we should be afraid, very afraid
We've now failed to score a goal in 4 consecutive Cup finals, very worrying.
United have laid down a real marker here. Title is on for them.
Yeah, just a matter of how early they can win it. Maybe first team to win it before Christmas?
They'll have it wrapped up in August mate.
Anthony Martial is going to be prolific this season, you just watch
Every Utd fan I've heard today has started what they are about to say with the words "I'm not getting carried away but...." followed by something hilarious. My personal favourites are:

- ......you can see Ten Hag has implemented his philosopheh already
- ...... Martial could be a big player for us this season
- ...... we should be at worst top 4 this season

That's it lads, stay realistic there
the joy will soon be drawn out of them when there's a proper game
Can't wait for pundits' predictions as you know some will put them as title contenders

Someone on redcafe started a thread called "We are a brilliantly coached team" LOLol

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I wish we wouldn’t play PL clubs, particularly rivals, in meaningless pre-season games. The circus after yesterday’s game is jarring. Never seen a player get so much stick for a 30 minute cameo, less than a week in to pre-season, than Nunez.
Aren't we training 3 times a day? Started a week back after United? Explains the result of this training exercise.
I have to say that (ignoring the scoreline) I was really impressed with the way that our various teams played.

Good pressing and pressure, controlled the majority of the game, but made some mistakes that led to goals.

Nice little training session, but just a pity it was our first match.

It would have been better if we could have started with a smaller, foreign team and played a couple of times before building up to a mid-table Prem team like Untied.

Not to worry - Much the same again on Friday and we'll be good.
Always nice to give smaller teams the first game against us before we play the real preseason tests right before the season starts.
Hopefully the red mancs will believe their own hype, until they have to play in a competitive match.
I thought Ox looked pretty sharp.
It’s pre-season you knob. Even Andriy Voronin (or Sean Dundee) or Anthony Martial looked pretty sharp during pre-season

big rons sovereign

Talking about players getting burgled whilst they play for us.
Apparently it's never happened in Liverpool.
I also see a lot mentioning Maguire's incident in Mykonos.
They must've forgotten about Stevie Me's Phil Collins mishap.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can't win in a game like that, can we?

Lose and we're called shit again, win and it's only a pre-season friendly, thrash them and we're trying too hard and treating it like a CL Final.

They seem to find it bizarre that we would want to play a full strength team to, you know, prepare them for the season?

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't win in a game like that, can we?

Lose and we're called shit again, win and it's only a pre-season friendly, thrash them and we're trying too hard and treating it like a CL Final.

They seem to find it bizarre that we would want to play a full strength team to, you know, prepare them for the season?
They also fail to mention in the 2nd half we played the kids and a few second string yet they still lost. Even with their big hitters on.

Robindinho

They also fail to mention in the 2nd half we played the kids and a few second string yet they still lost. Even with their big hitters on.
This is what I don't get, all the "why play your best team" etc... Their first XI played the second half, ours first half :confused: - you are supposed to play your players in a pre season game.

They'd probably argue it's still not the same, as ours played 15 minutes more. Forgetting that in those conditions, they should have the advantage of fresh legs every half hour.

Chief123

After todays game :

:lol:

Apparently DDG did his hamstring by taking the game too seriously. Very interesting, physios should tell people to take things less seriously to lower risk of injury.

:lol::lol::lol:
I love the one about the fan being glad Nunez blazed it over the bar. The justification was hilarious :lol:

Chief123

This is what I don't get, all the "why play your best team" etc... Their first XI played the second half, ours first half :confused: - you are supposed to play your players in a pre season game.

They'd probably argue it's still not the same, as ours played 15 minutes more. Forgetting that in those conditions, they should have the advantage of fresh legs every half hour.
I agree however liverpool played 3 different teams who all had 30 mins each. Still doesn’t take away from the fact our reserves/kids beat their best lineup 1-0 in last 30 mins.

OpenIntrovert

30 years 1 title, back on their perch.
Exactly. With all the talk from them and some of our "fans", it seems like Liverpool has been winning 6 titles every season. Its startling to note that they have only won 2 more trophies than us in their best run while we are on our worst run. SAF era was way more dominating than whatever those guys have achieved and he had to fight against a strong Arsenal side in the late 90s to early 2000 and a heavily funded Chelsea in the mid to late 2000s.

OpenIntrovert

Doesn’t anyone feel slightly embarrassed seeing this thread given the current gulf between us?
Nope, its hilarious. Basically if RAWK have nothing to talk about us, this thread does not exist. The fact that they are so bothered about us despite having the world's greatest team in past 500 years, is what makes this thread entertaining. They are more bothered about us than we were bothered about them during our best era.

Besides, we were performing better than them in the 20/21 season and would have trophies if not for bad luck and injuries. Situations can always change regardless of the talent at disposal.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
What stands out the most is the complete lack of self awareness Liverpool fans have. The cheek of taking the piss out of Utd fans they have made up in their heads saying this is Utds year etc after a pre season friendly win. That is what Liverpool fans were famous for. Bit of projection going on there.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Picking on newbs isn't cool man.
Behave.
Picking on a newbile is totally cool :lol:

What isn't cool is being called out by half the Forum for posting drivel and the only comeback being a bit of a sly dig at a newbile.

Come on @Tavern in the town pick a fight with someone who has the posting rights to explain what a pathetic, small time, post you made yesterday.

He's all yours, Big Ron :)

big rons sovereign

Picking on a newbile is totally cool :lol:

What isn't cool is being called out by half the Forum for posting drivel and the only comeback being a bit of a sly dig at a newbile.

Come on @Tavern in the town pick a fight with someone who has the posting rights to explain what a pathetic, small time, post you made yesterday.

He's all yours, Big Ron :)
Eloquently put sir. That's exactly what I meant. I can't get into any altercations due to being a very naughty boy.
I'm on a tight leash :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.