Ray Wilkins passes away after suffering a heart attack

Sky Blue Red

PIP Ray. Always enjoyed watching you play in a red shirt when growing up, and also later in a royal blue shirt. Two goals stick in my mind. The lovely goal in the 83 cup final and the wonderful goal v Celtic in 88.
Also one of the few people I enjoyed listening to on the radio or tv.

Taken far too early.

Reactions: SteveJ

adamwest

Really loved him as a pundit. Didn't tread on any toes, didn't bait, just seemed to love the game and tell it how he saw it. Calm, composed delivery every time. RIP Ray.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Ray was a great player for all the teams he played for and it is very sad he has passed away. I saw him come into the Chelsea team in the seventies and he stood out as a great player. As a young lad I remember him being the first quality player to break through from the youth team and he outshone a number of quality players who were on the wain. It made sense for him to leave Chelsea at that time but all the fans were gutted when he left.

I feel bad about mentioning his alcoholism on such a day but everybody should take heed that a few drinks are OK but long term abuse leads to an early death. Such a great player and man should not be dying at 61.

RIP Ray.

Revaulx

They generally both played 25/30 games when here together (sometimes more) ... my memories are it worked well (Ray sitting, Robson driving forward) but as a team, we were just a bit short. The 433 towards the end of Ray's time here suited him.... he'd do well in the current game (a la Carrick).

If anything, it was Muhren who had injuries (off the top of my head, missed more than either of the other two), though when he did play (left side), the team balance was decent.

RIP Ray, good player (for us and other teams) and part of the early 80s sides I grew up with ..... from the great stories coming out today, a generally nice guy too.
I dare say you’re right. Details get rather blurred at this length of time!

I recall 79/80 looking something like this:

———-———-Bailey———————
Nicholl-Buchan-McQueen-Albiston
——————-Wilkins———————
———McIlroy———-Macari———
Coppell—Jordan—Thomas/Grimes

A very consistent and underrated side, that hadn’t got quite enough goals in it. Jordan was never prolific. Garry Birtles certainly wasn't the answer :houllier:

If Wikipedia can be trusted, Robson, Moses and Muhren all had more appearances than Ray in 82/83, though Ray had a good number. God knows how they all fitted in.

It was 80/81 when he only managed 13 appearances. The team was crap in his absence, leading to Sexton’s sacking.

montpelier

I dare say you’re right. Details get rather blurred at this length of time!

I recall 79/80 looking something like this:

———-———-Bailey———————
Nicholl-Buchan-McQueen-Albiston
——————-Wilkins———————
———McIlroy———-Macari———
Coppell—Jordan—Thomas/Grimes

A very consistent and underrated side, that hadn’t got quite enough goals in it. Jordan was never prolific. Garry Birtles certainly wasn't the answer :houllier:

If Wikipedia can be trusted, Robson, Moses and Muhren all had more appearances than Ray in 82/83, though Ray had a good number. God knows how they all fitted in.

It was 80/81 when he only managed 13 appearances. The team was crap in his absence, leading to Sexton’s sacking.
Think it must have been 82/83 when he broke his cheekbone then. Was captain of both Utd & England when it happened, and lost both jobs permanently to Bryan Robson.

Related to that I have often wondered whether Big Ron was the greatest fan of RW somehow or maybe they took the ££££ off of Milan because he wanted to get proper replacement widemen in, with Coppell having retired & Muhren being not a winger, too much of a luxury & old - though playing on for ages in / with Holland.

I liked the Big Ron teams but they were lacking balance somehow at times - and were stronger overall with Moses and later Whiteside in the MF possibly.

Revaulx

Think it must have been 82/83 when he broke his cheekbone then. Was captain of both Utd & England when it happened, and lost both jobs permanently to Bryan Robson.
Indeed. A mistake IMO. Much as I loved Robson, it was all about him. Ray was more of a team player.

Related to that I have often wondered whether Big Ron was the greatest fan of RW somehow or maybe they took the ££££ off of Milan because he wanted to get proper replacement widemen in, with Coppell having retired & Muhren being not a winger, too much of a luxury & old - though playing on for ages in / with Holland.

I liked the Big Ron teams but they were lacking balance somehow at times - and were stronger overall with Moses and later Whiteside in the MF possibly.
Absolutely. The team was definitely less balanced after Ray was sold. Olsen had many magic moments but was too lightweight to be consistent, and Strachan was another individualist.

Fat Ron’s first four seasons were all pretty decent, though frustrating at times. His fifth (85/86) was the most bizarre season in all my nearly 50 years of following United; even more than 71/72. We were crap from the start, but somehow managed to go on a massive unbeaten run and were top of the league until way after Christmas.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Indeed. A mistake IMO. Much as I loved Robson, it was all about him. Ray was more of a team player.

Absolutely. The team was definitely less balanced after Ray was sold. Olsen had many magic moments but was too lightweight to be consistent, and Strachan was another individualist.

Fat Ron’s first four seasons were all pretty decent, though frustrating at times. His fifth (85/86) was the most bizarre season in all my nearly 50 years of following United; even more than 71/72. We were crap from the start, but somehow managed to go on a massive unbeaten run and were top of the league until way after Christmas.
One of the best years of my life. Best ever year for music, end of. And those first 15 matches were amazing, shame the wheels came off. But... If Big Ron would've won it that year, we may never have had the Fergie years!! Doesn't bare thinking about. Odd how some things are just meant to be