Ray Wilkins passes away after suffering a heart attack

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
RIP Ray Wilkins. Quick story to share while he's in my thoughts: Those of us of a certain age will never forget a game at Old Trafford back in '84 when we beat Barca 3-0. Everyone recalls it as being one the best atmosphere's ever. Part of the reason was that Milan were sniffing after Bryan Captain Marvel Robson, and "Robson must stay" was sung with such venom we damn near took the roof off. Milan switched attention to Butch instead and quickly signed him. For months after a lot of diehard United fans were convinced we'd let the wrong midfielder go, such was the affection he was held in. Lovely footballer, and genuinely lovely bloke by all accounts

Rob67

RIP Ray Wilkins. Quick story to share while he's in my thoughts: Those of us of a certain age will never forget a game at Old Trafford back in '84 when we beat Barca 3-0. Everyone recalls it as being one the best atmosphere's ever. Part of the reason was that Milan were sniffing after Bryan Captain Marvel Robson, and "Robson must stay" was sung with such venom we damn near took the roof off. Milan switched attention to Butch instead and quickly signed him. For months after a lot of diehard United fans were convinced we'd let the wrong midfielder go, such was the affection he was held in. Lovely footballer, and genuinely lovely bloke by all accounts
Agree with every word. We were in the Streford Paddock that night. What a memory.

Openshaw53

So so sorry, Ray came over as a real nice guy and thought he was a class player for Utd, best memory his curling screamer v Brighton in the cup final.

RIP Ray a really really nice bloke, sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Awful news. Rest In Peace, Ray.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
RIP, very sad news.

I've just read some of the lovely tributes coming in from the football world and had a look at that peach of a goal he scored for us at Wembley in 1983.

Great player, greater man seems to be the feeling. So long Butch.

Revaulx

Of his four seasons at OT, all but the first were blighted by injury. People soon forgot how good he was in his first season; he helped us to our best league finish since winning it in 1967, only two points off Liverpool.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I took my Mrs to United against QPR at OT in the early 90s. Ray was playing for QPR and he went up to take a corner at the Stratford End. My Mrs couldn't understand why he was getting such a great reception from the Stretty. When I said he was a former player and we were giving him respect, she thought that was incredible. Gone way too soon. Rip Ray.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Loved the way he spoke, really old world polite, not all the cynicism you get with a lot of pundits. He loved football and loved people. A true gentleman and there are too few of them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
16:05Ciaran Kelly
Bryan Robson's emotional tribute to Ray Wilkins
Ray was so respected by everybody and he was a real pleasure to know. He is a sad loss for football, but a bigger one for society, he told manutd.com.

I played with Ray at England youth team when we were 17, winning the mini World Cup in Switzerland and I roomed with him on that trip, so we go back a long time as good friends both on and off the pitch.

We played together for England and Manchester United for many years and we became very good friends.

Ray was a great man, a real gentleman who was so courteous and he was like that with everybody who he met. He had all the time in the world for anybody in football, young players, team-mates, coaches, and of course supporters.

He was a great player and supporters will have so many fond memories of Ray. I’ll always remember his goal against Brighton in the FA Cup final. He jumped over the barriers when he scored, running quickly to celebrate and it was a special moment that I’m sure so many will remember him by, because of his passion and enthusiasm was so infectious.

Everybody will remember Ray as being a real gent. I can’t talk about him highly enough. He was a true gentleman of the game, he was in the top bracket.

My thoughts are with all of Ray’s family and friends during this truly difficult time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So so sorry, Ray came over as a real nice guy and thought he was a class player for Utd, best memory his curling screamer v Brighton in the cup final.

RIP Ray a really really nice bloke, sad.
RIP.

promisedlanchiao

R.I.P Ray. Gone too soon.

Wasn’t old enough to watch him live but judging by what people here are saying, he was a top, top player and I’ll definitely try to remember to watch a few clips of him at United in his prime. Also, anyone watched the Wembley Cup 2015 on Spencer FC’s channel? Ray was manager for the opposing team, Sidemen United. Unfortunately he and his team lost but a decent watch nonetheless.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I remember watching him for Chelsea reserves in (I think) 1970. like everyone i'll remember him most for that cup final goal and his story that he ran so far celebrating it that he was useless for the rest of the game! RIP