Rayan Cherki - Lyon player

Suvvernmanc

Mathis Rayan Cherki (born 17 August 2003) is a French professional footballer who plays as a forward for Lyon.

At only 16 years old is very highly rated not just in France but around Europe. He was reportedly wanted by Man Utd earlier in the year but signed a professional contract with Lyon instead.

I have watched a game or two of him and was very impressed. Is this lad going to the very top?

Starts tonight with Lyon against Toulouse in the French cup, who are bottom of the league. Might get a good look of him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Maybe. Maybe not. K?

BalanceUnAutreJoint

His touches yesterday.

Probably could have scored if Traore wasn't being very selfish in front of the goal

pascell

The Lyon president must be smiling like a Cheshire cat now. Not only did they tie him down to a deal when he could move elsewhere but he's also coming up with the goods.

izec

The Memphis injury gives him more opportunities i guess, not that he would need it that much going by his talent

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought we were no?
No, him signing a professional contract with Lyon was always the only option. The discussions were about the next contract which is supposed to be settled too.

Based Adnan

Apparently we offered him a £10M signing bonus to sign with us last summer

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A special, special talent. At 16 to score two goals and add two assists is outstanding.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Reserved.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He weights his passes beautifully, will be tuning into Lyon games when he's playing.

United58

Has he been number 8 since the start of the season? That's a seriously impressive show of faith - imagine had we given Greenwood number 9 in August 2018!

United58

I think squad numbers may differ for the cup hence no names on the shirt?
Makes sense, thanks.

Wonder what kind of contract he's on, what kind of bonuses etc. he's tied up with? Legally he's still a child, would be fascinating to see from that standpoint

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think squad numbers may differ for the cup hence no names on the shirt?
Got me interested so I checked transfermarkt and apparently it goes:

Ligue 1 and Coupe de la Ligue he is #18
Champions League he is #36
Coupe de France the matchday squad has to be 1-18 with starters 1-11 so random numbers every match.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One thing that struck me from the first time I saw him is that he has ridiculous upper body strength for his age. Physically, he competes well with grown men.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Makes sense, thanks.

Wonder what kind of contract he's on, what kind of bonuses etc. he's tied up with? Legally he's still a child, would be fascinating to see from that standpoint
No idea about his wages but he got a 4M signing bonus on his first contract with Lyon
And RMC says UTD offered a 10M signing bonus but he turned it down.

Devil may care

One thing that struck me from the first time I saw him is that he has ridiculous upper body strength for his age. Physically, he competes well with grown men.
Yeah, when Invictus showed me a vid of him when were linked his build reminded me of a young Rooney physically.

Hughes35

Feck me. He looks unbelievable.

Reminds me a little of Rooney at the same age. I've only seen clips but he looks really strong and powerful like Rooney did. A street footballer.

The lad's going to be a big player if he keeps his head right.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
if he's left footed and has some speed, yes. we've needed that profile foe years now.

United58

No idea about his wages but he got a 4M signing bonus on his first contract with Lyon
And RMC says UTD offered a 10M signing bonus but he turned it down.
Holy shit - I wonder was it promised to him once he turned 18? I couldn't imagine thinking about having that kind of money at 16. I can't now, and I'm 25 :lol:

if he's left footed and has some speed, yes. we've needed that profile foe years now.
Nonsense - didn't you see Mata's goal against Wolves?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Why don't we just throw all we have at Lyon now? We've seen PSG do it with Mbappe and it paid off.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Will end up at Liverpool probably
Unlikely.
Not only is Liverpool not viewed as positively as Barca/Real in France but they also can't compete financially and haven't been as consistent as them in term of competing for every trophy, in 5 years they could very well be 6th in the prem while Real/Barca won't be moved from their thrones.

Why don't we just throw all we have at Lyon now? We've seen PSG do it with Mbappe and it paid off.
He has no intention to move until he can get 1st team football wherever he goes, we tried offering him 10M signature bonus but he and his family turned it down because they knew he would play 1st team football if he stayed at Lyon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Monaco and Lyon aren't the same, also Mbappé was at the end of his contract.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As others have said, first impressions screamed a new age Rooney for me.

Wayne was probably a little quicker and liked to dribble more, but Cherki has a fantastic weight of pass and a fantastic killer pass/through ball already.

He's got great ball control already and that squat strong core helps him hold people off and turn them with ease. Will be interesting to see if he can keep this up, but for a 16 YO it's very impressive.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Wayne was probably a little quicker and liked to dribble more
I cannot express with words how wrong this sounds
Cherki completed 18 dribbles in a single youth league game a few months ago, dribbling is his best attribute.
He's holding back off it because It's his first games and he can't be a ball hog