Kick-off
Tue, 8 December 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .......VS..................

Date - Tuesday, December 08 2020
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Red Bull Arena, Leipzig

Champions League form guide

Manchester United: WWLWL
    RB Leipzig: WLWLW

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 5–0 RB Leipzig

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 1
    RB Leipzig wins:
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Julian Nagelsmann

Team News

Manchester United

Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial, Fred, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero ruled out. Eric Bailly and Edinson Cavani doutbtful.

RB Leipzig

Lukas Klostermann, Konrad Laimer, Benjamin Henrichs, Dayot Upamecano and Hee-Chan Hwang ruled out.

Know the opposition

RasenBallsport Leipzig e.V. (lit. Lawn Ball Sports Leipzig), commonly known as RB Leipzig, is a German professional football club based in Leipzig, Saxony. It was in Leipzig that the German Football Association (DFB) was founded on 28 January 1900, with the country's governing body crowning VfB Leipzig its first league champions three years later. The club would go on to lift two more titles before eventually being dissolved at the end of the Second World War. From the club's ashes rose SC Rotation Leipzig, FC Lokomotive Leipzig and FC Lok Stendel, who vied for local bragging rights in the DDR Oberliga; the highest division in East Germany from the 1950s, right up until Germany's reunification and the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. The club was founded in 2009 by the initiative of the company Red Bull GmbH, which purchased the playing rights of fifth-tier side SSV Markranstädt with the intent of advancing the new club to the top-flight Bundesliga within eight years.

In its inaugural season in 2009–10, RB Leipzig dominated the NOFV-Oberliga Süd (V) and was promoted as champions to the Regionalliga Nord (IV). RB Leipzig won the 2012–13 Regionalliga Nordost season without a single defeat and was promoted to the 3. Liga (III), then finished the 2013–14 3. Liga season as runners-up and was promoted to the 2. Bundesliga (II) as the first team since the introduction of the 3. Liga to win promotion after only one season. On 8 May 2016, RB Leipzig ensured promotion to the Bundesliga for the 2016–17 season with a 2–0 win over Karlsruher SC. One year later, RB Leipzig captured a place in the 2017–18 UEFA Champions League by finishing as runners-up in the Bundesliga. On 18 August 2020, the club made history by participating in their first Champions League semi-finals, losing against Paris Saint-Germain of France.

The club nickname is Die Roten Bullen (English: The Red Bulls) due to the energy drink company Red Bull being the sole investor of the club. RB Leipzig plays its home matches at the Red Bull Arena.

Referee

Antonio Mateu Lahoz.​

PoTMS

Play on the counter. Cavani, Greenwood and Rashford as our strike force. Leave Martial in Manchester.

paulscholes18

Henderson
    Tuanzebe Maguire Lindelof
    AWB Pogba Matic Telles
    Bruno
    Greenwood Rashford

Siorac

One thing is guaranteed: they're going to score first.

Zoo

————————GK————————
    Wan-Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Telles
    ———— McTominay - Pogba————-
    Greenwood - B.Fernandes - Rashford
    ———————Cavani———————

What I would go for. That goal should give Pogba a boost and he needs to give us control in middle of the park. If he can’t get himself up for a big CL match then he never will.

Dve

................ De Gea

Tuanzebe - Maguire - Lindelöf

Bissaka - Pogba - Matic - Telles

.............. Fernandes

...... Greenwood - Rashford

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    I really don't want to go into the EL again :(

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Leipzig defence looking very susceptible but also deadly on counter.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    @Adnan how do you think Leipzig will line up and what tactic will they pursue? Do they have any injuries or suspensions?
    What team does OGS need to put out to counter them?

DickDastardly

No point in playing for a draw. A heartbrake goal in the final minutes would be devastating.

Plus, when is the last time we kept a clean sheet?

We have to outscore them. Set up for a win!

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    I would actually like to see VDB for this one. They're all about the high press and before we scored against them, we had zero control. We'll need his composure and intelligence in the middle. Wouldn't mind three at the back though.

lenny_1248

-----------------------------------De Gea--------------------
    -----------Tuanzebe--------Maguire---------Lindelof------
    AWB------------------VdB------------------Matic------------Telles-----
    ---------------------------------Bruno---------------------------------
    ----------Greenwood---------------------Rashford------------

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    What i have seen from this United team under Ole is that if the opposition isn't clinical during the spells that they are dominant, we will win. Rb Leipzig may outplay us when it comes to footballing aesthetic, but we have unbelievable quality that it won't matter as we will finish our chance and make much better attacking decision.

It seems that years of outspending our rivals is finally making this team capable of competing at the highest level. It will be embarrassing if we lose this game, so I m sure Ole is doing all the planning he can to get a victory.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Not going to be pretty. They just drawed with Bayern.

Play on the counter i say.

Bwuk

De Gea
    Axel - Lindelof - Maguire
    AWB - McTominay - Pogba - Telles
    Bruno
    Cavani - Rashford​

cyberman

Leipzig conceding a lot of goals and theyre missong their best defender against us..

dal

I’ll be astonished if we go three at the back here. If they score first, we then I think will have to change our setup and I’m just not comfortable with that against a high pressing team like RB.

We should go 4231 and play a tad deeper if we want to counter attack, with Greenwood in the half-space and pogba attacking from deep in a counter.

—————Rashford———————————-
    ———————————————Greenwood
    ———————-Bruno———————————
    Pogba——————————————————
    ——————Matic——Mctominay————
    Telles———Maguire——-Lindelof—AWB
    ————————Henderson———————

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    @Adnan how do you think Leipzig will line up and what tactic will they pursue? Do they have any injuries or suspensions?
    What team does OGS need to put out to counter them?
    Leipzig will adopt a similar approach to the last game IMO and will press high and will leave space in behind due to their need to win the game. The longer the game goes without Leipzig scoring the more risk they will take which will mean the two CBs will be defending high up the pitch in 1v1 scenarios and will leave plenty of space to exploit which will suit our forwards.

From our point of view it's important we don't lose possession in our own half against the Leipzig pressure, because RBL don't have the most talented players on the ball IMO. So winning the ball high up the pitch will make up for the lack of skill on their part and make it easier to cause overloads which we don't want due to that playing into their hands. That's why I say RBL are a more dangerous team off the ball than they're on the ball. But with out Konrad Laimer, their ability to close space isn't as effective.

I think we should approach the game in a similar fashion to how we approached the home game against them. Rashford and Martial will be key IMO because the opportunity to get in behind will present itself due to RBLs need to take the game to us. If we score the first goal then RBL will have to take even more risks which could see us scoring even more goals on the counter attack. But whichever team gets the first goal, will have a great chance to win the game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Leipzig will adopt a similar approach to the last game IMO and will press high and will leave space in behind due to their need to win the game. The longer the game goes without Leipzig scoring the more risk they will take which will mean the two CBs will be defending high up the pitch in 1v1 scenarios and will leave plenty of space to exploit which will suit our forwards.

From our point of view it's important we don't lose possession in our own half against the Leipzig pressure, because RBL don't have the most talented players on the ball IMO. So winning the ball high up the pitch will make up for the lack of skill on their part and make it easier to cause overloads which we don't want due to that playing into their hands. That's why I say RBL are a more dangerous team off the ball than they're on the ball. But with out Konrad Laimer, their ability to close space isn't as effective.

I think we should approach the game in a similar fashion to how we approached the home game against them. Rashford and Martial will be key IMO because the opportunity to get in behind will present itself due to RBLs need to take the game to us. If we score the first goal then RBL will have to take even more risks which could see us scoring even more goals on the counter attack. But whichever team gets the first goal, will have a great chance to win the game.
    Interesting and thanks. They also won’t have Upamecano but we also won’t have Fred. Who will partner Konate?

If they score the first goal, do you think Leipzig will be able to adopt a low block and defend a one goal lead for a long period?

I think Ole should bring in Tuanzebe to play 3 at the back in a 3412 formation. McT, Matic in middle and Bruno at the tip and Rashford and Greenwood to start. That leaves Pogba, Cavani, Martial Donny and Mata as offensive impact subs.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    It's going to be a exciting game. Nervy for sure but I'm hopeful we can get the result we need.

We've got our tails up right now with only the PSG result going against us and even that game we had chances to win it before we lost it.

I'm going 2 2 draw.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Will we be shit? Will we be good? Will we be both? Find out next time on This Is United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    Interesting and thanks.

They also won’t have upamacano but we also won’t have Fred. Who will partner Kanote?

If they score the first goal, do you think Leipzig will be able to adopt a low block and defend a one goal lead for a long period?

I think Ole should bring in Tuanzebe to play 3 at the back in a 3412 formation. McT, Matic, Donny in middle and Bruno at the tip and Rashford and Greenwood to start.

that leaves Pogba Cavani Martial and Mata as offensive impact subs.
    I think he will start Willi Orban next to Konate. Or if he decides to go with a 3 man backline then I can see him playing Halstenberg as the LCB in a 3-4-3. Both Orban and Halstenberg were on the bench against Bayern earlier today.

I think they have the capability to defend in a low block with Konate who is their best CB IMO and is aerially dominant. But I don't think Nagelsmann will go low block at all and will rather maintain structure but will still look to score more goals which might make the game end to end in a particular scenario.

432JuanMata

This is a huge game biggest of the season by a mile.
    If we get a result the season so far looks good after a horrid start(2 points off the league and through in the CL)
    But if we lose it will be a bad start and that run at the end of last season to get CL was just ruined

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    It's going to be a exciting game. Nervy for sure but I'm hopeful we can get the result we need.
    We've got our tails up right now with only the PSG result going against us and even that game we had chances to win it before we lost it.I'm going 2 2 draw.
    I think he will start Willi Orban next to Konate. Or if he decides to go with a 3 man backline then I can see him playing Halstenberg as the LCB in a 3-4-3. Both Orban and Halstenberg were on the bench against Bayern earlier today. I think they have the capability to defend in a low block with Konate who is their best CB IMO and is aerially dominant. But I don't think Nagelsmann will go low block at all and will rather maintain structure but will still look to score more goals which might make the game end to end in a particular scenario.
    It's going to be a proper knock out game with a few goals, twists and turns. One great thing for us is the belief and know how our team has to recover from conceding early goals away from home.

432JuanMata

It's going to be a proper knock out game with a few goals, twists and turns. One great thing for us is the belief and know how our team has to recover from conceding early goals away from home.
    That is a great sign we know how to come from behind also if we score first then have to proper come out and attack since they need a win and we will set up to counter which we are actually good at

OleBoiii

The second most important game of Ole's United manager career so far. It will be an absolute nail-biter.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    The first goal will be crucial. If we score first then it will be very difficult for Leipzig to get back in the game unless we make silly mistakes.

432JuanMata

Will we be shit? Will we be good? Will we be both? Find out next time on This Is United.
    It’s obvious isn’t it, we will be shit and good. I’ve never seen a team be so utter shit yet be good at the same time until this United is amazing, fascinating and frustrating but it’s not boring

Dominos

532 park the bus wait for the counter attacks.

I get the feeling this won't be a draw anyway. If the game is tied late in the match then they'll be pouring on the pressure and will be wide open on the counter, so either they'll get the winner or we will.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw