Tue, 8 December 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
    I hate how much emphasis people are putting on this as if it's a make or break game for Ole.

Are we likely to go and win the CL if we get through? I think it's highly unlikely. So going out in the last 16 or last 8 is hardly going to feel any better.

I think we will get a result and progress but I'm under no illusions about our chances to win the damn thing.
    Apart from Bayern to a certain extent, I don't think there is any other team that you can consider unbeatable for this United team. It's quite open competition this year and we can go very far in the competition. Strange that you don't mind going out of the group considering the position we were in after 2 games.

Although defeat might not lead to Ole being sacked but this game is huge for Ole. Going to Europa league will be considered huge failure.

Footy van de Geek

Apart from Bayern to a certain extent, I don't think there is any other team that you can consider unbeatable for this United team. It's quite open competition this year and we can go very far in the competition. Strange that you don't mind going out of the group considering the position we were in after 2 games.

Although defeat might not lead to Ole being sacked but this game is huge for Ole. Going to Europa league will be considered huge failure.
    We could probably win The Europa League a year on from last season's disappointment, whereas I feel that some of the better sides will outsmart us over 2 legs in the latter rounds of The CL.

As a one off game, we can beat pretty much anyone.

Depends on if fans are allowed back in by March. Our away form might not be as good when fans get their 12th man back. But at the same time, Old Trafford might become a better place for us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Think Bayern, Liverpool and Juve would have too much for us. PSG if we get through and meet them again could easily knock us out as could City. Chelsea would be tight. Dortmund would be tough. Plenty of quality in this competition.

My point is we are definitely not one of the favs. I'm under no illusion. I'd rather get through just to avoid playing in Europa League personally and I think we will get through... just.

No way should this result determine Ole's future though. Sacking him for getting knocked out of a competition we are very unlikely to even get through to the last 4 of us seems daft.

Ole will be judged on domestic competitions this year for me. Getting back to back top 4 finishes and maybe winning a domestic cup. CL is a tough ask given we weren't even in it last year.

pacifictheme

Obviously my preference would be to get through and I hope we do, but I wouldn't mind that much if we end up in europa.

Its only two more games and we've a better chance of winning it anyway. The 2016 win was great, best thing that's happened since fergie left.

Oly Francis

Supports
    PSG
    Think Bayern, Liverpool and Juve would have too much for us. PSG if we get through and meet them again could easily knock us out as could City. Chelsea would be tight. Dortmund would be tough. Plenty of quality in this competition.
    Juventus is a pretty average team this year, it's totally possible for you to beat them over 2 legs.

bondsname

I hate it when we do this. Leaving it all to the last game, it's all or nothing, make or break.
    Why couldn't we just get a draw PSG or win in Istanbul ffs? Why can't we just be comfortable? Every United game feels like life or death.

We can beat Leipzig but I feel if we give them too much respect they can hurt us quick. If we start the game sloppy and slow they can get a goal or two for sure. I hope Cavani isn't out because I'd like to see him and Rashford up top, with Bruno feeding them through balls. Start Van de Beek aswell because I feel his game is more suited to the European games than the Premier League.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    I hate it when we do this. Leaving it all to the last game, it's all or nothing, make or break.
    Why couldn't we just get a draw PSG or win in Istanbul ffs? Why can't we just be comfortable? Every United game feels like life or death.

We can beat Leipzig but I feel if we give them too much respect they can hurt us quick. If we start the game sloppy and slow they can get a goal or two for sure. I hope Cavani isn't out because I'd like to see him and Rashford up top, with Bruno feeding them through balls. Start Van de Beek aswell because I feel his game is more suited to the European games than the Premier League.
    It’s not “all or nothing”. A draw will do.

UncleBob

I don't watch German football, but that Coman guy is something else.
    Why the hell are Barca spending £130M+ on Dembele, when they could've got Coman?
    How? when? Coman wasn't available. He was initially on a loan with option to buy at Bayern, and he was hardly mint that season, struggling with injuries. Bayern took advantage of their option to buy months before Barcelona were forced to find a replacement for Neymar, and even if he was available it's highly unlikely that he would've been anywhere near top of the list of candidates for Barcelona due to his issues at the time.

Not sure what we're pretending here.

UncleBob

We ended up in one of the worst groups of the Champions League, people doomed us from the beginning, now we're annoyed that we haven't already qualified for the last 16. It's an interesting take...

MileStolar

We ended up in one of the worst groups of the Champions League, people doomed us from the beginning, now we're annoyed that we haven't already qualified for the last 16. It's an interesting take...
    This is something I can't wrap my head around, we're bloody Manchester United what's with the underdog mentality?

This is not directed to yourself by the way but to the people that fear Leipzig and Paris acting like as if we're bloody Wolverhampton or Middlesbrough.

croadyman

This is something I can't wrap my head around, we're bloody Manchester United what's with the underdog mentality?

This is not directed to yourself by the way but to the people that fear Leipzig and Paris acting like as if we're bloody Wolverhampton or Middlesbrough.
    The annoying thing about this group is how utterly garbage we performed in Istanbul

Gasolin

The annoying thing about this group is how utterly garbage we performed in Istanbul
    We will regret it, but that's life. We have to focus on the next 2 games. Winning them should be the priority. For the mood, to uplift the psychological side, and allow the team to feel more confident about themselves.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
    This has to be a balls out attacking setup. Gut their press and high line. Crosses pinging in from both flanks, through balls being zipped in relentlessly, tackles flying in taking ball and man, crunching aerial duels. Should be known as the battle of Leipzig for years to come.

RikRuud

If Ole even hints to the squad that they only need a point from this game to qualify he should have his tongue cut out. :lol: We need to go there and do the business. Go through top of the group.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
    Matic and Pogba playing together would be a nightmare with how RB presses.

This is the kind of game that we'll lose it we play for a draw. Just attack them from kickoff and go balls out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    If Ole even hints to the squad that they only need a point from this game to qualify he should have his tongue cut out. :lol: We need to go there and do the business. Go through top of the group.
    We won’t make it top of the group even if we win 10-0, CL group is a system of H2h and away goals not goal difference. Unless if PSG don’t win against Instanbul.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Leipzig played 5 at the back last time against us but I do think they will go 4 this time. They need to win so they will try to score. But still, their concept is the same which is high press and I think Ole will use the same formation of how he used it against Southampton and RB Leipzig last time which is diamond.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Matic and Pogba playing together would be a nightmare with how RB presses.

This is the kind of game that we'll lose it we play for a draw. Just attack them from kickoff and go balls out.
    Those two played together when we beat them 5-0. However, I do think Pogba shouldn’t play in this game. I don’t think he’s a match fit to play twice in 4 days after just came back from a month injury. Matic is likely to play, he’s been rested for two games in a row already.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    What are your injuries looking like for this game in terms of Cavani and Martial and any others?

croadyman

What are your injuries looking like for this game in terms of Cavani and Martial and any others?
    Probably get a better idea on both when Ole does his presser tomorrow. Also get the impression that Shaw isn't too far away and reckon Lingard could get minutes in Carabao Cup tie

croadyman

:lol: Would be funny in a way, great! if we draw this game then PSG lost to the mighty Istanbul, scored by the Legendary Demba Ba.
    Lets not leave it to a team that have clearly had their day in the sun at our expense

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    I'd go with Bruno, Mata or VdB as the false 9 in this game.

Rashford Greenwood
    Mata
    Pogba Bruno
    Matic
    Telles Maguire Lindelöf AWB
    Henderson​

Revaulx

I'd go with Bruno, Mata or VdB as the false 9 in this game.

Rashford Greenwood
    Mata
    Pogba Bruno
    Matic
    Telles Maguire Lindelöf AWB
    Henderson​
    Interesting. A huge gamble though; everything would depend on whether Good Matić or Bad Matić turned up.

Though it would be nice to believe that Maguire’s return to form obviates the necessity of playing two cloggers (for want of a better word) in front of him every game.

GMoore23

Not sure on the fitness of Cavani, De Gea and Martial

De Gea/Henderson
    Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
    Mctominay - Matic
    Bruno
    Greenwood - Cavani/Martial - Rashford

Don't trust Pogba as a starter in a game of this importance but as an impact sub, he could have a big role.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    Interesting. A huge gamble though; everything would depend on whether Good Matić or Bad Matić turned up.

Though it would be nice to believe that Maguire’s return to form obviates the necessity of playing two cloggers (for want of a better word) in front of him every game.
    At this point I expect Mata or Bruno to end up in the box and finish more than Martial or Cavani. Martial especially needs to sit his ass on the bench until he shows something in training and cup games.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

My point is we are definitely not one of the favs. I'm under no illusion. I'd rather get through just to avoid playing in Europa League personally and I think we will get through... just.

No way should this result determine Ole's future though. Sacking him for getting knocked out of a competition we are very unlikely to even get through to the last 4 of us seems daft.

Ole will be judged on domestic competitions this year for me. Getting back to back top 4 finishes and maybe winning a domestic cup. CL is a tough ask given we weren't even in it last year.
    I think Juve and Liverpool are also within our capabilities. To be honest I fancy this team in knockout games more than in league competition.

I agree domestic competition is more important this year so that we have some sort of consistency when it comes to our league position. But throwing away the advantage that we had in Champions league will be one of the biggest setback post Fergie.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Hopefully a draw in this game, but Leipzig will be hard to contain. We look slow in the opening minutes in the last 3 games, and hope we don't repeat it tomorrow.

352 for me. Hope also that both the games at Istanbul and dreadful finishes against PSG will not cost us.

-----------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------------
    --------------------Tuanzebe------Maguire--------Lindelof-------------------
    AWB------------------Mc Tominay-----Pogba-------------------------Telles
    --------------------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------------
    -------------------------Greenwood----------Rashford---------------------------

Revaulx

At this point I expect Mata or Bruno to end up in the box and finish more than Martial or Cavani. Martial especially needs to sit his ass on the bench until he shows something in training and cup games.
    Oh I agree. Cavani might be unavailable in any case. Donny’s poor showing on Saturday was a big disappointment in this regard.

It’s just that there have been too many times recently when failure to play two “defensive-minded” midfielders has left us horribly exposed at the back. The only one we’ve got who is seemingly capable of doing it on his own is Matić, and his form seems to get ever more unreliable.

I’m still hoping that Maguire’s recent run of very good performances can provide comfort that a two-man defensive shield is no longer necessary.

SER19

I really can't face the Europa again. Please just get it done and better, win the group

ti vu

I really can't face the Europa again. Please just get it done and better, win the group
    Not in our hands, with PSG playing their last game at home.

Definitely need to get over the finish line. Europa League on Thursday would be a disaster with how congested this season schedule as is.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    I think Juve and Liverpool are also within our capabilities. To be honest I fancy this team in knockout games more than in league competition.

I agree domestic competition is more important this year so that we have some sort of consistency when it comes to our league position. But throwing away the advantage that we had in Champions league will be one of the biggest setback post Fergie.
    But that's my point. It won't be. We aren't going to win the CL with Maguire Lindelof CB pairing. I doubt we will get past last 16 if we even get through. We will now get a group winner if we progress with away tie second. Up against it doesn't even begin to describe our chances. Probably get Bayern too knowing our cups draws under Ole.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Will be the same as the PSG game to some extent. We will get plenty of chances, if we're clinical we'll go through.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw