RB Leipzig

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why? Leicester are backed by a billionaire too, and have been under investigation for FFP regulations(which they've almost certainly broken), from their promotion season and dodgy sponsorships.
Leicester's spendings are far less than the PL giants though.

staubsauger

Supports
The underdog
Why? Leicester are backed by a billionaire too, and have been under investigation for FFP regulations(which they've almost certainly broken), from their promotion season and dodgy sponsorships.
They spent 50 mio on new players this year, without selling any players. They're running the biggest deficit in that regard plus last year in the second division they spent more on new players than the rest of the league combined(more than 25 mio). These numbers may be peanuts for PL teams, yet the comparison to Leicester would be more fitting if Leicester had spend 300-400 mio pounds on new players during the past 2 seasons. And if they had done so, their success surely wouldn't have been so impressive.

Reactions: Invictus

Clas Sified

They spent 50 mio on new players this year, without selling any players. They're running the biggest deficit in that regard plus last year in the second division they spent more on new players than the rest of the league combined(more than 25 mio). These numbers may be peanuts for PL teams, yet the comparison to Leicester would be more fitting if Leicester had spend 300-400 mio pounds on new players during the past 2 seasons. And if they had done so, their success surely wouldn't have been so impressive.
They sold Kante...

staubsauger

Supports
The underdog
They sold Kante...
At the risk of appearing like an idiot, I fail to see the relevance. They sold Kante after they won the league, but the comparison's were between last year's Leicester City and the current RB Leipzig team.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Well, we know who would get the short end of the stick between the two clubs.
From what i read it would be Leipzig. The club which reaches the higher position in its league would be allowed to play CL and that's probably not going to be Leipzig. Although, doesn't the champion from the austrian league have to play qualification matches first? If that's the case, Leipzig might not be allowed to play in the CL and Salzburg could still feck up to qualify like they do every year. Worst case scenario for RB.
But technically Red Bull isn't even the owner of RB Leipzig anyway.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
From what i read it would be Leipzig. The club which reaches the higher position in its league would be allowed to play CL and that's probably not going to be Leipzig. Although, doesn't the champion from the austrian league have to play qualification matches first? If that's the case, Leipzig might not be allowed to play in the CL and Salzburg could still feck up to qualify like they do every year. Worst case scenario for RB.
You are correct, that Salzburg finishing 1st and Leipzig 2nd or worse would give Salzburg the right to participate, if they only get one CL spot.
However, Salzburg can forfeit that right and I'd bet my house that they'd do so.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The people working for Red Bull are smart enough to have found a loop hole for that regulation. And if they didn't I have no doubt they'd find a way to make Salzburg drop out (if they don't lose to a team from Luxemburg before that).

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The people working for Red Bull are smart enough to have found a loop hole for that regulation. And if they didn't I have no doubt they'd find a way to make Salzburg drop out (if they don't lose to a team from Luxemburg before that).
They would just have to forfeit their spot.

GuyfromAustria

I really hope they don't take that away from us because of Leipzig, lots of fun guaranteed every summer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Leipzig are likely to do better in the Champions league.

So if its a straight choice between the two, it should be an easy decision.
Absolutely. Salzburg give them their players and will give them their CL spot.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Absolutely. Salzburg give them their players and will give them their CL spot.
I've heard Salzburg will get thrown out of their league (or something) if they do that.

Haven't read that link posted above, it's probably in there.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a United fan, I can tell you that spending does not equate results.

That they have made it work with so little top level experience is admirable.
They have an experienced management. They also don't invest blindly and have stability at the club. This is not a dig at United btw!

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Leipzig are likely to do better in the Champions league.

So if its a straight choice between the two, it should be an easy decision.
There is no decision. League position takes priority. Salzburg is first. Leipzig is second. Salzburg is in. Though RedBull think they have made the necessary adjustments at Salzburg to separate themselves far enough from the decision-making positions, so they have no official control over the board and club. Clearly they anticipated this dilemma, but I´m not sure they´ll fool an institution with such high standards of morale and integrity as UEFA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Have made it to the UCL.

At least the qualification rounds. In their first season in the Bundesliga too. Fantastic achievement.

Although the Salzburg thing might be an issue.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39598280
It won't be an issue. The owner will get rid of shares to "himself" via some corporation and personally own shares to the legal limit (which is about 30% I believe) so as he won't be considered their owner anymore.

Roman did something similar with CSKA when they and Chelsea were in the CL at the same time.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
There is no decision. League position takes priority. Salzburg is first. Leipzig is second. Salzburg is in. Though RedBull think they have made the necessary adjustments at Salzburg to separate themselves far enough from the decision-making positions, so they have no official control over the board and club. Clearly they anticipated this dilemma, but I´m not sure they´ll fool an institution with such high standards of morale and integrity as UEFA.
Can't honestly compare the German and Austrian Bundesligas though.

Although what @Snow says is probably true. RB were smart enough to get around the German 50% + 1 rule. They will have a way past this too.

I think they will be one to watch in the UCL

Alabaster Codify7

Good for them. Eff Bayern and co - when you're a new club trying to catch up with the giants, who every single summer sign the best players from their rivals in the league, what do you do?

You spend money. You have to spend money. Or else, you will never catch them in a thousand years barring a miracle or a fluke. Bayern, especially, can do one.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Good for them. Eff Bayern and co - when you're a new club trying to catch up with the giants, who every single summer sign the best players from their rivals in the league, what do you do?

You spend money. You have to spend money. Or else, you will never catch them in a thousand years barring a miracle or a fluke. Bayern, especially, can do one.
Exactly.

If there ever was a league in dire need of a huge influx of sugardaddy clubs it is the BL. Absolutely ridiculous the stranglehold Bayern has on that league.

JoaquinJoaquin

Exactly.

If there ever was a league in dire need of a huge influx of sugardaddy clubs it is the BL. Absolutely ridiculous the stranglehold Bayern has on that league.
I'm surprised no oil tycoon has tried to buy someone like a Hamburg or Schalke etc. Although I don't know if the Bundesliga is as lax as England when it comes to foreign owners coming in so easy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm surprised no oil tycoon has tried to buy someone like a Hamburg or Schalke etc. Although I don't know if the Bundesliga is as lax as England when it comes to foreign owners coming in so easy.
German laws prevent sugar daddy owners in germany. Red Bull apparently managed to get around this but i'm not sure how a Mansour or Roman could have done the same. Level of owner investement in Leipzig is also on a completely different scale from what Roman and Mansour did

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm surprised no oil tycoon has tried to buy someone like a Hamburg or Schalke etc.
Well, because of the "50+1" rule. The club itself has to hold at least 50% plus 1 share. Bayern themselves still own 75%.

arthurka

I loved his Ingolstadt team, too.
Agree he has done some stellar work.. His tactics often tend to be spot on and that Ingolstadt team was very stubborn and feisty.. The same goes with RB but to another level as he has a much better squad to work with than back then..

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Double standards, at least in terms of RB. I for one don't want them to fail. Bayern though..

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What's the double standard?
Leipzig is an example of a club that is excellently managed. Great scouting, trusting and developing young players, progressive football, top coaching etc.

Yes, they're a platform for RB but essentially that's not different to any club out there. Every club is sponsored, every club is a marketing platform for a company. Leipzig for me is like a startup, it received huge funding in the beginning but their success ultimately comes down to them doing many, many things right that traditional clubs with a better starting position tend to screw up. Leipzig is probably the most modern, progressive and innovative club in the German league and far from "money buys success" stuff.

I also think it's not consequent to criticize PSG and City for "oil money" while clubs like Bayern, Barca or Arsenal are happily cooperating with such countries, too. Every top club and football association is involved in this system and happily profits from it. They have no moral high ground.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Leipzig is an example of a club that is excellently managed. Great scouting, trusting and developing young players, progressive football, top coaching etc.

Yes, they're a platform for RB but essentially that's not different to any club out there. Every club is sponsored, every club is a marketing platform for a company. Leipzig for me is like a startup, it received huge funding in the beginning but their success ultimately comes down to them doing many, many things right that traditional clubs with a better starting position tend to screw up. Leipzig is probably the most modern, progressive and innovative club in the German league and far from "money buys success" stuff.

I also think it's not consequent to criticize PSG and City for "oil money" while clubs like Bayern, Barca or Arsenal are happily cooperating with such countries, too. Every top club and football association is involved in this system and happily profits from it. They have no moral high ground.
That is a very simplistic view which i wholeheartedly disagree with.
Maybe your Leverkusen background influences you in regards to this topic?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They're not a platform for Red Bull, they are Red Bull. It's very different to other clubs.

The dislike for Red Bull is not that "money buys sucess", it's that they're a franchise. Same reason everyone in England hates MK Dons.

People have hated rich clubs forever. Sunderland were called "The bank of England club" back in the 1940s! The dislike for Red Bull is a different thing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

You can say all you’ve said about Leipzig about City. They’ve also put a ton of money into the community, funding jobs, new facilities etc.

It doesn’t change where the money has come from or the morals involved though. RB are no different.