RB Leipzig

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pretty much the situation in all other countries.
Precisely Germany's reluctance to accept non-fan ownership is the reason they fell behind.

Till the early 80s Germany was the absolute best league in the world. Then the Italians came with sugar daddies and later the English and the Spanish with foreign investors.

Also if Germany were to allow just one PSG/City/Chelsea they'd have someone to compete with Bayern. Sure, they'll be the bad guys and Bayern the good guys, but whatever. You'll always have people support the bad guys too.
You asked why they are so hated in Germany and I provided an explanation. Other countries are simply used to football clubs belonging to individuals or companies. The German football scene is more romantic/naïve in that regard and I wouldn’t want to have it any other way.
Even at Bayern the 300k+ members control over 75% of the club.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Alright, then let's see the voice fans at the FC Bayern have. In their supervisory board we have the chairmen of VW and Telekom as well as employees of Allianz and the UniCredit Bank. Adidas used to be there, too, and was involved in all the stuff that brought Hoeneß into jail for tax evasion. But well, they also have their annual general meeting where fans can voice their opinion. Two years ago, there was a movement that wanted to dethrone Hoeneß after some terrible decisions and nightmarish public appearances. Many members wanted him gone, the only problem was that only a very small percentage of members was allowed to vote - those who actually attained the AGM in Bavaria. The SPIEGEL reported about the AGM in the previous year: "Anyone who then belonged to the few who dared voting against Hoeneß was threatened and insulted by other members". Yes, it is indeed an open election that only takes place in the little echo chamber.

If that's the fan culture Leipzig is ruining, go ahead, have my blessing.
I normally enjoy your posts but your hatred towards Bayern is getting the better of you. It is whataboutism to argue about Bayern when the thread is about Leipzig and its standing in the German football/fan scene.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I normally enjoy your posts but your hatred towards Bayern is getting the better of you. It is whataboutism to argue about Bayern when the thread is about Leipzig and its standing in the German football/fan scene.
I can distinguish pretty well and have no business whatsoever admitting that Bayern is doing a brillant job again and deserve to win the treble this year. As a neutral, they're probably a role mod club. In fact I even named them a best practice in some of my posts in the last days. The only reason I used Bayern is because that AGM was the first incident that came to my mind. What I actually wanted to say: This idea that the fans are in charge is a nice concept but that's it. I've yet to see a football club really applying it. In every single club the sponsors/investors/important share holders have the say, not the fans. So I don't believe Leipzig having 17 members who all are RB employees is at the core of the antipathy against them becuase there's no club in Germany which is democratic at all.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can distinguish pretty well and have no business whatsoever admitting that Bayern is doing a brillant job again and deserve to win the treble this year. As a neutral, they're probably a role mod club. In fact I even named them a best practice in some of my posts in the last days. The only reason I used Bayern is because that AGM was the first incident that came to my mind. What I actually wanted to say: This idea that the fans are in charge is a nice concept but that's it. I've yet to see a football club really applying it. In every single club the sponsors/investors/important share holders have the say, not the fans. So I don't believe Leipzig having 17 members who all are RB employees is at the core of the antipathy against them becuase there's no club in Germany which is democratic at all.
No, that would be because they bought their way into the Bundesliga and are the PR vehicle of a company that pretends to do something great for Eastern Germany and its football fans.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No, that would be because they bought their way into the Bundesliga and are the PR vehicle of a company that pretends to do something great for Eastern Germany and its football fans.
I don't think too many care about the second part. It's about the "they bought their way into the Bundesliga" thing. And that ultimately comes down to "they ousted traditional clubs out of the Bundesliga". And that's the part I don't like at all. Support, fan base and tradition doesn't earn you your place in the first division. You have no right to play there because you have a huge fan base or exist since 100 years. It's sports, the one doing best deserves the spot. And Leipzig did best. Yes, they received a financial kick start. But they also did much, much better than all the clubs that have fallen from grace from a managerial standpoint. They built great infrastructure, hired incredibly competent coaching, scouting and managerial staff. Sure, that costs money, too. But honestly, traditional club's could've done the same if they would've been as radical with seeing through innovation as Leipzig has been.

And to be honest, I can identify much better with this than with a club like the HSV or Schalke whose primary right to exist stems from two things: a) that they have been there for so long and b) that many people support them. Leipzig stands for the progressive part of football, the HSV for the traditional aspect. I don't like keeping traditions alive just for the sake of nostalgia.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it's pretty lazy to try dismiss the concept of fan influence with one article about one membership meeting at one club.
The people who appoint and fire executives (the president and board of the club itself) have to rely on the votes of fans to get and retain their post, every member's meeting they have to give them a voice and they have to answer to their questions, before the members vote. That doesn't mean that every single decision is signed off by fans, but it guarantees that their club can't ignore them.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it's pretty lazy to try dismiss the concept of fan influence with one article about one membership meeting at one club.
The people who appoint and fire executives (the president and board of the club itself) have to rely on the votes of fans to get and retain their post, every member's meeting they have to give them a voice and they have to answer to their questions, before the members vote. That doesn't mean that every single decision is signed off by fans, but it guarantees that their club can't ignore them.
Come on. You can't believe that yourself. Especially with all the conflicts between fans and their clubs in mind in recent years. Practically fans have no say in the Bundesliga. I can't even think of an example where fans changed anything at their club. Usually they watch hopelessly as their club taggers into irrelevancy when it's poorly managed.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't like keeping traditions alive just for the sake of nostalgia.
That's very much a part of football, though - or, at least it has been for many years. My generation definitely tends to look more favourably on clubs with some history to their name over complete upstarts (who have emerged recently, fueled by money being pumped in by owners). Perhaps this is changing, though - I wouldn't be surprised. But my generation will - by default - prefer Hamburg over RB Leipzig. We remember Happel, etc.

This preference for "traditional" clubs isn't logical in the slightest, of course. The power men/money men behind football clubs have never been about football (or fans) first and foremost: it has always been about promoting something beyond the football club itself, be it business (a "brand" in modern terms) or even politics in some cases.

When football turned "modern" by any half-reasonable definition, it had already lost its genuine innocence (if that is even a thing) years and years before.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's very much a part of football, though - or, at least it has been for many years. My generation definitely tends to look more favourably on clubs with some history to their name over complete upstarts (who have emerged recently, fueled by money being pumped in by owners). Perhaps this is changing, though - I wouldn't be surprised. But my generation will - by default - prefer Hamburg over RB Leipzig. We remember Happel, etc.

This preference for "traditional" clubs isn't logical in the slightest, of course. The power men/money men behind football clubs have never been about football (or fans) first and foremost: it has always been about promoting something beyond the football club itself, be it business (a "brand" in modern terms) or even politics in some cases.

When football turned "modern" by any half-reasonable definition, it had already lost its genuine innocence (if that is even a thing) years and years before.
That's exactly what I think. There are no "innocent clubs" that need protection. Traditional clubs achieved they status they have/had by losing this innocence. I understand if you prefer them out of nostalgia and I understand that it's nice having football as an oasis where you can live out such feelings since they have not much room in everyday life but honestly, despising a club because it has no history is beyond that, IMO. You can say you prefer club A for subjective reasons since you've grown up with them but giving your assessment the semblance of objectivity when it's really not equals moving the goal posts. The HSV isn't good and Leipzig isn't bad, the one club is just better at doing business. Which is unfortunate for the fans of the HSV but after all professional sports is a business and not a popularity vote. Leipzig and Hamburg are both where they are because they deserve it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Come on. You can't believe that yourself. Especially with all the conflicts between fans and their clubs in mind in recent years. Practically fans have no say in the Bundesliga. I can't even think of an example where fans changed anything at their club. Usually they watch hopelessly as their club taggers into irrelevancy when it's poorly managed.
E.g. Hannovers fans ended Kind's pursuit to take over the club. At Schalke organized fans did their best to keep Tönnies in check by drumming up opposition to his reelection, in particular when it came to his desire to sell off portions of the club to cover for the mismanagement he oversaw. They ended the club's partnership with viagogo, too.

When fans complained about ticket prices clubs listened, Dortmund for example pledged to only adjust for inflation. When the league screwed match going fans with Monday night kickoffs fans protested and they were phased out with the next round of TV deals.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's exactly what I think. There are no "innocent clubs" that need protection. Traditional clubs achieved they status they have/had by losing this innocence. I understand if you prefer them out of nostalgia and I understand that it's nice having football as an oasis where you can live out such feelings since they have not much room in everyday life but honestly, despising a club because it has no history is beyond that, IMO. You can say you prefer club A for subjective reasons since you've grown up with them but giving your assessment the semblance of objectivity when it's really not equals moving the goal posts. The HSV isn't good and Leipzig isn't bad, the one club is just better at doing business. Which is unfortunate for the fans of the HSV but after all professional sports is a business and not a popularity vote. Leipzig and Hamburg are both where they are because they deserve it.
Ich bin einig (im Großen und Ganzen).

But I still can't stand RB Leipzig. Feckin' energy drink...whatever...posing as a football club (or several clubs, I suppose).

But - yeah. I think we're on the same page as far as the non-sentimental part is concerned.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
E.g. Hannovers fans ended Kind's pursuit to take over the club. At Schalke organized fans did their best to keep Tönnies in check by drumming up opposition to his reelection, in particular when it came to his desire to sell off portions of the club to cover for the mismanagement he oversaw. They ended the club's partnership with viagogo, too.

When fans complained about ticket prices clubs listened, Dortmund for example pledged to only adjust for inflation. When the league screwed match going fans with Monday night kickoffs fans protested and they were phased out with the next round of TV deals.
At least half of the topics you mentioned have nothing to do with voting and 50+1, though. Fans are important stakeholders since they're the direct and indirect revenue source. That gives them a certain bargaining power. But the membership and elections.. don't know, at least I can't recall a single important election in a Bundesliga club and I'm following the league closely since 2001. That's exemplarily different to Barcelona and Real Madrid where the presidential elections are turning points in the club's strategic direction - and even there the elections are quite a farce. To me that's just the illusion of a right to a say.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At least half of the topics you mentioned have nothing to do with voting and 50+1, though. Fans are important stakeholders since they're the direct and indirect revenue source. That gives them a certain bargaining power. But the membership and elections.. don't know, at least I can't recall a single important election in a Bundesliga club and I'm following the league closely since 2001. That's exemplarily different to Barcelona and Real Madrid where the presidential elections are turning points in the club's strategic direction - and even there the elections are quite a farce. To me that's just the illusion of a right to a say.
E.g.
https://m.dw.com/en/victory-for-hannover-fans-as-martin-kind-steps-down/a-48056230

And how do you even figure that it doesn't translate into influence if the head(s) of a club have to ask for their member's approval in an election? Not a big believer in Democracy, are you?
Tönnies for example always made concessions to his critics every time he was up for election over the last 5-10 years or so, even if the poor devils at Schalke ended up voting him in again that's still influence.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
E.g.
https://m.dw.com/en/victory-for-hannover-fans-as-martin-kind-steps-down/a-48056230

And how do you even figure that it doesn't translate into influence if the head(s) of a club have to ask for their member's approval in an election? Not a big believer in Democracy, are you?
Tönnies for example always made concessions to his critics every time he was up for election over the last 5-10 years or so, even if the poor devils at Schalke ended up voting him in again that's still influence.
Oh I'm a big believer in democracy as long as the system is valid. See that Bayern example I gave, that's just the illusion of a voice. Public pressure, voter suppression - that's maybe what Trump would call a democracy ;)

But I give you that, this is a good example. However, I still don't see that this has such an impact - especially in the way some clubs handle it - that it explains the grudge people hold against Leipzig.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What kind of example is that? He was developed by Stuttgart and seen as one of the best German talents by the time he was transfered to RB. He was a proven Bundesliga player at the time and his development wasn't exactly surprising. It just shows everything that is wrong with RB because no other promoted side would have been able to buy such a player for that kind of money (and I don't even speak about his wages).
Yes, and his development at Stuttgart was awful due to the club being run incompetently as hell. He'd have gone down the drains had he stayed there.

Say what you want, but Leipzig is excellent at developing young talents, same as Leverkusen and Hoffenheim. They employ young, modern coaches and trust young players. They accept and defend failure. Compare that to HSV, Schalke and Stuttgart. There are light years in between those sets of clubs.

Breze

Yes, and his development at Stuttgart was awful due to the club being run incompetently as hell. He'd have gone down the drains had he stayed there.

Say what you want, but Leipzig is excellent at developing young talents, same as Leverkusen and Hoffenheim. They employ young, modern coaches and trust young players. They accept and defend failure. Compare that to HSV, Schalke and Stuttgart. There are light years in between those sets of clubs.
He wouldn't have stayed at Stuttgart anyway because they were relegated, but he could and most probably would have become the player he is now at another club, too. You're only always talking about mismanaged clubs like HSV or Schalke, but it's not only them that they've stolen a place in the Bundesliga or as others have mentioned in the CL. There are lots of other clubs that are managed very well in the first, second and third division that simply can't buy a players like Werner for 15 million € when they are promoted, that can't pay the wages for a Danish international while playing in the third division, that can't pay for high class managers like Rangnick or top-scouts and that don't have other franchise clubs where you can develop young players. So it's not only fecking over mismanaged clubs like HSV, but all the other clubs that have to EARN the money they want to spend.

Iosif

The RB Leipzig bashing strikes me as very petty. They're a very well run club with a great manager and young team that are fun to watch. But why acknowledge that when you can dismiss them because they have a corporate owner (which is somehow very different from a corporate sponsor)?

If fans of established 'proper' clubs don't like that an upstart has overtaken them they should look at the failing of their own teams instead of petulantly throwing all their toys out the pram.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The RB Leipzig bashing strikes me as very petty. They're a very well run club with a great manager and young team that are fun to watch. But why acknowledge that when you can dismiss them because they have a corporate owner (which is somehow very different from a corporate sponsor)?

If fans of established 'proper' clubs don't like that an upstart has overtaken them they should look at the failing of their own teams instead of petulantly throwing all their toys out the pram.
Please read the whole thread. It is not about the arguments you just presented.
And belonging to a company and being sponsored by one makes a very big difference.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

A really great argument considering it's basically Bayern and Dortmund fans who utter the criticism in this thread.

Oh I'm a big believer in democracy as long as the system is valid. See that Bayern example I gave, that's just the illusion of a voice. Public pressure, voter suppression - that's maybe what Trump would call a democracy ;)

But I give you that, this is a good example. However, I still don't see that this has such an impact - especially in the way some clubs handle it - that it explains the grudge people hold against Leipzig.
Every (proper) club holds a member's meeting every year, among the professional clubs alone that's several dozen per year. You're still trying to use one example from one club to discredit them all. And even at that meeting you're talking about one member used his right to adress the leadership to really lay into Hoeneß with a 10 minute speech, to the applause of the present club members. Presenting and bringing nation wide mainstream media attention to a criticism that Sky&co would never have dared to utter.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He wouldn't have stayed at Stuttgart anyway because they were relegated, but he could and most probably would have become the player he is now at another club, too. You're only always talking about mismanaged clubs like HSV or Schalke, but it's not only them that they've stolen a place in the Bundesliga or as others have mentioned in the CL. There are lots of other clubs that are managed very well in the first, second and third division that simply can't buy a players like Werner for 15 million € when they are promoted, that can't pay the wages for a Danish international while playing in the third division, that can't pay for high class managers like Rangnick or top-scouts and that don't have other franchise clubs where you can develop young players. So it's not only fecking over mismanaged clubs like HSV, but all the other clubs that have to EARN the money they want to spend.
But you don't know that. Werner himself chose Leipzig because he thought it was the best place to develop for him. You can't just say 'he would've developed everywhere'. Leipzig deserves credit for him turning into a top player the same way Dortmund deserves it for Sancho and Barcelona for Messi - even though they were god enough to make it everywhere. There's a reason so many young talents choose Leipzig, Leverkusen and Hoffenheim as their employers. It's the same reason why talents can't wait to jump ship at Schalke and Hamburg.

By the way, name me one club which is run as professionally in the Bundesliga as Leipzig that doesn't play internationally. No dig at the overachiecers like Augsburg or Mainz but they are nowhere near RB's level.

As I said, the Bundesliga is not a popularity vote, it's a competition.and Leipzig earned their spot.

Breze

But you don't know that. Werner himself chose Leipzig because he thought it was the best place to develop for him. You can't just say 'he would've developed everywhere'. Leipzig deserves credit for him turning into a top player the same way Dortmund deserves it for Sancho and Barcelona for Messi - even though they were god enough to make it everywhere.
Of course, there's always a possibility that sth could have gone wrong, but he was hardly an unknown and unproven player. He had already played a lot of games in the Bundesliga for Stuttgart before he made the move, so the comparison to Sancho is simply wrong.

By the way, name me one club which is run as professionally in the Bundesliga as Leipzig that doesn't play internationally. No dig at the overachiecers like Augsburg or Mainz but they are nowhere near RB's level.
You already named two of them, you could add easily add Freiburg and in the last few years Frankfurt to that. There are also many clubs in the 2. Bundesliga that are run very professionally. The whole point why they are less successful is money. Neither do these clubs have the money to splash 8m € on a single player in the 2. Bundesliga nor do they have the money to pay guys like Rangnick or the whole scouting system RB created with several feeder clubs to develop players.

As I said, the Bundesliga is not a popularity vote, it's a competition.and Leipzig earned their spot.
No, that's the whole point. They absolutely have not earned it. They fecking cheated to get the spot.

Reactions: Sultan

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
Of course, there's always a possibility that sth could have gone wrong, but he was hardly an unknown and unproven player. He had already played a lot of games in the Bundesliga for Stuttgart before he made the move, so the comparison to Sancho is simply wrong.

You already named two of them, you could add easily add Freiburg and in the last few years Frankfurt to that. There are also many clubs in the 2. Bundesliga that are run very professionally. The whole point why they are less successful is money. Neither do these clubs have the money to splash 8m € on a single player in the 2. Bundesliga nor do they have the money to pay guys like Rangnick or the whole scouting system RB created with several feeder clubs to develop players.

No, that's the whole point. They absolutely have not earned it. They fecking cheated to get the spot.
1.You completely disregarded his point that Werner himself made the decision to join Leipzig.
Further you dont have to just look at Werner you can pick many others players like Mane (Salzburg) or Keita, Sabitzer, Upamecano, Kimmich, Haarland. They give the players the right envioroment if they think there is potential.

2. The clubs you named are good run clubs but not on the same level like Leipzig. Leipzig must be doing something right and it is not only money.

3. Idk you just sound bitter. Take a step back and look where it all at Salzburg. Many people in Austria reacted the same way saying like, they are cheaters, no soul just a company etc. and at the beginning it was kinda true till Düdelingen happened a small team beating them in the qualifiers which was emberrassing. So they changed the whole concept and made further improvments in scouting infrastucture and not relying on proved names or throwing money at things.
Nowadays most people in Austria agree that without RB their farmer league would be even worse and it incentivised Rapid Wien, Austria Wien, Sturm Graz and so on to improve their infrastructure as well and to not stagnate.

Reactions: Sultan

Breze

1.You completely disregarded his point that Werner himself made the decision to join Leipzig.
Further you dont have to just look at Werner you can pick many others players like Mane (Salzburg) or Keita, Sabitzer, Upamecano, Kimmich, Haarland. They give the players the right envioroment if they think there is potential.
Why would I need to talk about this? At no point in time did I argue that players are forced to join these plastic clubs. Obviously you could argue that money (wages) is a big factor there, too, but I never said that players aren't allowed to develop there, so what's your point? In my first post I just found the notion kind of ridiculous that Werner was developed at RB when he had nearly a hundred Bundesliga games for Stuttgart before he made the move. If we apply this criteria, Kimmich seems to be a Bayern product, because he only had 53 games at RB, but ~150 for Bayern (he's also a Stuttgart product like Werner btw). It's also weird to claim this as a positive for RB because there have always been real clubs that were/are great at developing talent and have been successful like Bremen, Gladbach, Dortmund, Stuttgart or Schalke (if you don't want to talk about smaller teams that have done this for decades). True, some of them fecked up at some point and suffer the consequences and that is the way it is supposed to be. Others like Dortmund and Gladbach do very well. It's a myth that players can only develop at such a construct, even if it might be somewhat easier for young coaches and players as there is less pressure because there are no fans and thus far less media attention.
It's the same story with the myth that Hoffenheim have a great academy. Obviously they put a lot of money into training facilities and coaches, but they also simply bought youth players from all the southwestern clubs with obscene kind of money for players that age and their parents.
I also find it kind of funny that you put players from both RBL and RBS into your list to make it longer. I mean, they are completely different "clubs", right? [/sarcasm]

2. The clubs you named are good run clubs but not on the same level like Leipzig. Leipzig must be doing something right and it is not only money.
What you're arguing is basically that they know how to use their money and I never claimed otherwise. I just claimed that it's unfair towards real clubs that have to earn their money and suffer if something goes wrong. If someone doesn't work out at RB, RB doesn't have to give a feck about the millions they lose. The notion that they are in the first Bundesliga because they kind of earned it is ridiculous. Just take a look at the transfer records of the second Bundesliga and imagine they wages they have to offer to get these players. In addition to that RBL can also get the best RBS players for next to nothing (doesn't matter anyway because it's the same company). Of course, I wouldn't expect a Chelsea fan to understand this.

3. Idk you just sound bitter. Take a step back and look where it all at Salzburg. Many people in Austria reacted the same way saying like, they are cheaters, no soul just a company etc. and at the beginning it was kinda true till Düdelingen happened a small team beating them in the qualifiers which was emberrassing. So they changed the whole concept and made further improvments in scouting infrastucture and not relying on proved names or throwing money at things.
Nowadays most people in Austria agree that without RB their farmer league would be even worse and it incentivised Rapid Wien, Austria Wien, Sturm Graz and so on to improve their infrastructure as well and to not stagnate.
Well, the team I support didn't have any negative consequences due to RB so far and I doubt that they ever will, so I'm not bitter, just very worried that we're going the same route as your league has gone. Unfortunately we're on our way to follow the footsteps of American leagues and the EPL (show elements, higher ticket prices etc) anyway and only fan protests have prevented it going on further or at least slowed down this transformation for now. I'm afraid proper club officials also want this transformation, too, because that way they can earn more money and stay competetive in Europe, but they also can't alienate the fans completely because they still have some power at a lot of clubs. At plastic clubs not so much.
Furthermore I simply don't enjoy watching plastic clubs at all. It was bad enough, when VW started to really back Wolfsburg, so that they could punch above their weight, but at least they had really earned their place in the Bundesliga before, but with Hoffenheim and RB you have two more soulless opponents in the league now. You can see at City that even if you bring in worldclass talent, nobody really cares about them, even if they are really successful.
I won't argue with you about Austria, because I wouldn't dare to assume what Austrian football fans think about RB in general at this point. The few I know still hate it with a passion but it probably depends on who you ask. Has Austrian football really gotten better btw? It's still pretty shit and looks like a shit version of the French league to be honest.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I apologize for bumping a old thread, but it's interesting to read back and see how they've grown across the years j into such a good footballing outfit and how it won't be surprising if they manage to take points off Manchester United at Old Trafford in a CL game.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Dropping a couple of posts from Adnan here, they'll get lost in the match day thread:

I'm looking forward to this match up and it's gonna be interesting to see how both Ole and Nagelsmann approach the game.

It does seem like Nagelsmann prefers a variation of the back 3 formation whether that be 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. But he's also used a back 4 when he rested Lukas Klostermann against Schalke in a game they won 4-0 and he then proceeded to revert back to a 3 man back line in the very next game against Augsburg where he brought back Klostermann and partnered him with Upamecano and Halstenberg. Klostermann unfortunately suffered a knee injury in the game and will subsequently be out for several months and Nagelsmann has since used a back 4 in his absence but might be tempted to revert back to a 3 man back line against us if he feels the returning Ibrahima Konate is ready to start the game. Konate has been on the bench for the last few games but according to Nagelsmann he didn't feel he was ready to start a game just yet and was waiting for the opportune moment to start him in a game where he felt he could ease him in. But he did play the final 25 minutes against Istanbul in the UCL game on match day 1 so there's a outside chance he might play him from the start.

Leipzig will play as they always plays by building from the back patiently before trying to transition quickly once the ball is out of the first phase of the build up IMO. If he does play Konate and goes with a back 3 then expect one of the 3 CBs to step into midfield which will give them a numerical advantage in midfield and will open up passing lanes and create triangles which we should be mindful of. Off the ball they will apply high pressure and will attempt to cut off passing lanes and will try and shepherd our ball carriers to pass towards a designated wide receiver which will likely be Wan Bissaka, who I believe they will leave unmarked to set him up for the wide pressing trap. Konrad Laimer was normally the player for that job from midfield and he initiated the wide pressing trap in tandem with several other players superbly well. But he's out injured so they'll miss him in that regard. But I hope we don't attempt to play out from the back which right now doesn't suits us.

Another thing that Leipzig are very strong at is having players who can slot into several positions which allows them to change formation in-game which in-turn allows them to maintain structure in defensive or offensive transition.. Players like Tyler Adams who has been deployed at CB and midfield. Klostermann who is a fullback but has been deployed at CB. Angelino (ex City) who has been deployed at fullback/wingback/Left wing. Dani Olmo who has been deployed at wing forward and as a CAM. Forsberg who is a CAM but has also been deployed as a false #9 in a 3-4-3. Amadou Haidara a midfielder who is deployed as a wingback. I can go on but that's something we should be mindful of.

Konrad Laimer looks like he won't be playing so he will be a big miss for them. But Nagelsmann will likely use two of Kevin Kampl, Tyler Adams or Henrichs in a two man midfield who will provide the energy and legs in midfield. But what I'm interested in is will he start both Forsberg and Olmo in tandem. Both players have the guile and ingenuity to unlock defenses and will be dangerous if paired together and will have to be watched closely. Nagelsmann has deployed both players several times in the same line up so if he does play both then I'm expecting a 3-4-2-1 formation or even a 3-4-3 with Forsberg as the false #9 and Olmo as the LWF. Forsberg is also very dangerous on set pieces so we'll have to be mindful of that too but alot depends on if Nagelsmann feels Konate is ready to start. But it's very difficult to second second guess Nagelsmann due to his rotation of players.

For us I hope Ole starts Rashford with Martial because there's gonna be possibilities to get in behind which could cause Leipzig issues if we can advance play to a good level. If Konate doesn't play then I feel there's a possibility we could hurt them from set pieces with Maguire and Cavani potentially getting on the end of good deliveries from Telles or Fernandes. But the key is gonna be to stay disciplined and express ourselves in midfield and match Leipzig's high intensity. If we can manage that then we can win the game because we have quality players too.
I think for me what's important is the personnel rather than formation. If Ole wants to play similar to how he setup against PSG then he can deploy the same players he used in that game if he chooses to do so with a back 3. But I feel Leipzig are much better than PSG at closing off the space high up the pitch due to their well coordinated press with the whole collective moving in tandem from back to front to close off the space after the press is triggered high up the pitch. This is a team that's more dangerous off the ball than on the ball IMO and have CBs that are probably the quickest in European football which allows them to play a high line. But having said that, Konate might not be deemed ready to start the game.

I would personally hope we take the game to them and if we did decide to do that then I hope we looked at the game between Leverkusen and Leipzig earlier this season where Leverkusen were unfortunate not to win in a 1-1 draw. Peter Bosz the Leverkusen coach set his team up in a 4-1-4-1 formation and went for it by pressing high and forcing errors which made it a very uncomfortable game for Leipzig. But the formation changed from 4-1-4-1 to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-5-1 off the ball depending on which zone Leipzig were attacking from. Karem Demirbay and 17 year old Florian Wirtz were both deployed as attacking midfielders but also had defensive duties off the ball and dropped off when defending to plug up the half spaces which made it a 3 man midfield next to the DM Charles Aranguiz who played his role superbly well by controlling his zone.

What Bosz showed in the above example is that he not only imposed his style on the game but also had players in attack who had high football IQ whereby they knew when to drop off and close off the space which provided structure and defensive balance on the turn over. We have Donny Van de Beek who is that player but he might not be ready to start a game due to the very little football he's played since the Dutch season ended in March this year.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's cute how you act like there's a difference what manager they get.
Thanks, you are cute, too.
Obviously it makes a difference, if a club with (theoretically) unlimited resources hires a top coach or Rose.