RB or RW

marktan

It's not that it isn't a problem but we have a lot of problems and in terms of priorities, it's behind midfield, forward line, right back and maybe centre back. We've paid a lot of money on Amad, Sancho and Pellistri for this position so it might be time to fix the priorities and try Amad out at right wing. The youngsters are promising but need minutes. Amad seems to have beefed up a bit and although he got a pitiful amount of playing time for Rangers this year, his attacking contributions were decent, as they have been for us at any level he's played. Rome wasn't built in a day and if it's not working out, we can dip into the market in January.
Amad can't even get a game for Rangers, he's nowhere near ready for us. Pellestri hasn't impressed at whatever team he's at currently.
I agree we've signed players for that position, but it comes back to poor scouting, who signs a right footed player to play as a RW for £70m?

For me the priorities in order are
DM
CM
RW
Striker or RB

The reason striker and RB are at the bottom is because we have okayish options there in Ronaldo, Martial, Dalot and AWB. For RW we have pretty much no one - Sancho is not a RW. All the best teams have a strong option on the RW, some multiple, you can't build a team that will challenge for anything without someone there. Raphina, Dembele, any of those would improve us hugely.

Caesar2290

Amad can't even get a game for Rangers, he's nowhere near ready for us. Pellestri hasn't impressed at whatever team he's at currently.
I agree we've signed players for that position, but it comes back to poor scouting, who signs a right footed player to play as a RW for £70m?

For me the priorities in order are
DM
CM
RW
Striker or RB

The reason striker and RB are at the bottom is because we have okayish options there in Ronaldo, Martial, Dalot and AWB. For RW we have pretty much no one - Sancho is not a RW. All the best teams have a strong option on the RW, some multiple, you can't build a team that will challenge for anything without someone there. Raphina, Dembele, any of those would improve us hugely.
You are overrating loans and underrating Amad here. I've watched Amad grow and adapt. While minutes wise his loan move wasn't very successful, the way he was handled by Van Bronchorst raised quiet a few questions even from the Rangers fans.

Every time he has played he looked lively and threatening. Despite that he was the scapegoat for that Celtic performance. Even so, he knuckled down and worked hard. All reports where pointing to the fact that he is working very hard in training. You already can see that he has bulked up a bit.

When it comes to youth players, the mentality is the most important factor they can have. Amad has that in spades. He will be a star here. Mark my word.

Peliistri has a very bizzare loan. Alaves are playing a very defensive set up so they prioritize other players. Despite that he was called up for the national team where he looked very lively and aggressive. I still wouldn't write him off just yet.

As for loans: I wouldn't look too much into them. Harry Kane had a couple of very forgetful loans at Leyton and Leicester, and yet a year and a had later he was hailed as one of the best young PL strikers and we both know how his career progressed from that point.

marktan

You are overrating loans and underrating Amad here. I've watched Amad grow and adapt. While minutes wise his loan move wasn't very successful, the way he was handled by Van Bronchorst raised quiet a few questions even from the Rangers fans.

Every time he has played he looked lively and threatening. Despite that he was the scapegoat for that Celtic performance. Even so, he knuckled down and worked hard. All reports where pointing to the fact that he is working very hard in training. You already can see that he has bulked up a bit.

When it comes to youth players, the mentality is the most important factor they can have. Amad has that in spades. He will be a star here. Mark my word.

Peliistri has a very bizzare loan. Alaves are playing a very defensive set up so they prioritize other players. Despite that he was called up for the national team where he looked very lively and aggressive. I still wouldn't write him off just yet.

As for loans: I wouldn't look too much into them. Harry Kane had a couple of very forgetful loans at Leyton and Leicester, and yet a year and a had later he was hailed as one of the best young PL strikers and we both know how his career progressed from that point.
We're talking apples and oranges, looking okay in the odd sub appearance in the Scottish league is a world away from being the starter for a team that once to push for top 4 in the PL. He might get there, he might not, even still if he does it's 2-3 years away.

R.e. Kane, an exception, not the norm. Very few strikers follow the trajectory Kane did.

Bojan Djordjic

Yeah, there's no overstating how poor a selection Rangers were for him. They were in a title race where the manager couldn't afford any slip ups and GvB deemed Amad a luxury player quite early. Obviously, he's not the finished article but I'm hoping with a pre-season under ETH and his coaching team, Amad can kick on and even if he's not a main starter, that he picks up 1000 -1500 minutes or so. He's an intelligent player with a lovely weight of pass. He's still needs to pick up his pace because he can be a bit casual in possession but it looks like he has some wit about him so there's nothing to say he can't do it.

Caesar2290

We're talking apples and oranges, looking okay in the odd sub appearance in the Scottish league is a world away from being the starter for a team that once to push for top 4 in the PL. He might get there, he might not, even still if he does it's 2-3 years away.

R.e. Kane, an exception, not the norm. Very few strikers follow the trajectory Kane did.
RE:Kane I agree. If you are good enough, than you are going to make it.

That's why I brought Amad. The guy looks like a special talent. I wouldn't be surprised if he is going to push for a starting spot by the end of the season if ETH decides to keep him.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
You'd want them both in the Championship on loan next season.

davidmichael

At right back we have Laird, Dalot, Williams and Jurado and if we sign Timber he can play there in a worst case scenario whereas on the right we have Sancho who is first choice on the left now, Greenwood who quite possibly won’t play for us ever again and Diallo who can’t even start for Rangers.

I’d love Antony or Raphinha especially if Leeds go down as Raphinha will be apparently available for £25 million but I’d happily accept Dembele and Januzaj both coming in on free transfers so we can sign De Jong and either Tchouameni or Kalvin Philips as midfield is more important than either and needs a couple of signings in.

Bojan Djordjic

At right back we have Laird, Dalot, Williams and Jurado and if we sign Timber he can play there in a worst case scenario whereas on the right we have Sancho who is first choice on the left now, Greenwood who quite possibly won’t play for us ever again and Diallo who can’t even start for Rangers.

I’d love Antony or Raphinha especially if Leeds go down as Raphinha will be apparently available for £25 million but I’d happily accept Dembele and Januzaj both coming in on free transfers so we can sign De Jong and either Tchouameni or Kalvin Philips as midfield is more important than either and needs a couple of signings in.
Jurado and Williams aren't going to be near our team next season. Jurado is only solid at U23s level while Wililams was a standout and even he's way off the pace at senior level. Suspect he'll be sold to raise funds this summer.

Dalot is fine as a back up and Laird is a decent prospect but just can't be relied upon with the injury history he has.

Yes, we're not overstocked at right wing either but I'd rather have a 5/10 player playing at right wing than I would at full back all day.

Jacob

RB. Importance of fullbacks to an attacking side cannot be understated.