RBG passes away | Trump to nominate replacement soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Probably more meaningful than Scalia dying 4 years ago given that we're only 45 days out from the election.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's pretty wild that all the most important people in the US (Supreme Court and Presidents) are often so old.

In Norway members of the Supreme Court are forcibly retired at 70.

ravi2

November is going to be a real shit show, even moreso now than before.
I wish my American friends well in the face of what is to come

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
if they get someone in before novemeber they can effectively overturn the election result by validating/invalidating ballots.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Watch McConnell now try and force a nominee through in the remaining 45 days.
He already confirmed he'll do just that. When you have no shame, life is easier, apparently.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I was going to take it easy tonight.

Nope.

I’ll be the guy over in the corner with a scotch bottle drying my tears with the constitution.

Revan

Assumptionman
RIP, was a force of good.

As tragic as a death is, more tragic is that this locks down for good the Supreme Court. GOP will definitely get a new SCOTUS before January, which essentially means that even with the unreliable Roberts vote, they would still have 5 reliable votes there.

As long as the nomination won’t have controversies like Kavanaugh, it will get easily confirmed.

If Hillary has won, Dems would have had 6 SCOTUS (+ the occasional Roberts vote). Now they have 3. Let’s vote Green Party again, that helps the progressive cause.

Revan

Assumptionman
Watch McConnell now try and force a nominee through in the remaining 45 days.
It doesn’t even need to be in these 45 days. It can be confirmed even in mid January, even if they lose both the Senate and the presidency.

I have no doubt that they will get a judge confirmed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My guess is Trump will try to nominate Amy Coney Barrett in a cynical attempt to galvanize religious nutters and women voters before the election.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
RIP, was a force of good.

As tragic as a death is, more tragic is that this locks down for good the Supreme Court. GOP will definitely get a new SCOTUS before January, which essentially means that even with the unreliable Roberts vote, they would still have 5 reliable votes there.

As long as the nomination won’t have controversies like Kavanaugh, it will get easily confirmed.

If Hillary has won, Dems would have had 6 SCOTUS (+ the occasional Roberts vote). Now they have 3. Let’s vote Green Party again, that helps the progressive cause.
In a way the Dems and Hillary in particular shot themselves in the foot too as is well known, but if there was ever a reason for the not progressive enough crowd to feel like they made arguably their biggest mistake as a voter ever - now would be the time to come to grips with that. But please far left people.. Continue to tell us how we should be idealists.

Revan

Assumptionman
if they get someone in before novemeber they can effectively overturn the election result by validating/invalidating ballots.
Possibly.

As long as they don’t choose someone with controversy (which might make senators who are at risk of losing their seats not vote him, of course is a him, let’s not kid ourselves), they will get it confirmed. Essentially, an Alito or a Gorsuch and they are golden.

The only move for Dems is to expand the court at this stage if they win. The problem is - as you said - that if GOP confirms this judge, then winning might well not matter anymore.

US is dangerously close on going full autocratic.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Possibly.

As long as they don’t choose someone with controversy (which might make senators who are at risk of losing their seats not vote him, of course is a him, let’s not kid ourselves), they will get it confirmed. Essentially, an Alito or a Gorsuch and they are golden.

The only move for Dems is to expand the court at this stage if they win. The problem is - as you said - that if GOP confirms this judge, then winning might well not matter anymore.

US is dangerously close on going full autocratic.
I think we re just about there already. Today Trump announced that "patriotic education" initiative which includes changing the narrative on slavery in american history.

Nationalist education and re writing /erasing of negative history. Where have I heard that before...

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah sure, that is gonna stop McConnell. Like he stopped blocking Obama’s nominee for the fear of losing the senate.

The only certainty this year is that this is gonna happen. It might happen after November though, when Collins and another one or two (who have already lost their seats) take one for the team and vote the nominee.

Not even Roberts can now save Roe vs Wade (and even more important stuff), and not that he was particularly interested about it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I've dreaded this since Trump got elected. How hard would it have been for her to retire when she could have been easily replaced? She's one of the great justices, but her staying on has left us in an incredibly bad situation.

I can only hope Alito and Thomas aren't smart enough to learn this lesson.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
People are of course panicking far too soon. It's not even a sure thing every Senator would go along with Mcconnel. Too many Reps are self-interested. No legal experts are convinced. It's important to put pressure on Rep Senators atm.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
People are of course panicking far too soon. It's not even a sure thing every Senator would go along with Mcconnel. Too many Reps are self-interested. No legal experts are convinced. It's important to put pressure on Rep Senators atm.
Come on. In election season, this is a damn good card to lose to infighting. Mitch will go nuclear and get a replacement before election.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it really likely this will be pushed through? I cannot imagine Romney, Collins and Murkowski would vote for it?
Collins might after she loses. No idea what will happen with the other two, but they need only 50 votes with Pence giving the decisive one.

The only question is will they risk it before the election (and then SC give the election to Trump).

Rooney1987

Collins might after she loses. No idea what will happen with the other two, but they need only 50 votes with Pence giving the decisive one.

The only question is will they risk it before the election (and then SC give the election to Trump).
Murkowski just said she will not vote to replace RBG on SCOTUS until after Election Day.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Is it really likely this will be pushed through? I cannot imagine Romney, Collins and Murkowski would vote for it?
Even if McConnell loses Romney, Collins, and Murkowski, he's got 51 votes with Pence casting the tie-breaking vote. Of the remaining 50 GOP senators, there's no chance any of them has an ounce of integrity to uphold McConnell's "rule" for themselves. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.