RBG passes away | Trump to nominate replacement soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Average = normal citizens. People who work, have family responsibilities and have little time to worry about politics in their own countries, much less in far away countries they can't in any way influence.

In the midst of a global pandemic that started in a bloody wet market in the middle of nowhere you are seriously telling us you can't imagine why people in other countries might be concerned about what is going on in the US?

GiddyUp

I'd be willing to bet your average African his little to no interest in SCOTUS judges. Nor does the average American have any interest in ruminating about the ins and outs of local Chinese politics, nor would someone in Madagascar have much interest in the Vladivostock political scene. China and Russia are also global powers with nukes and in China's case it has an economy almost on par with the US, and yet people surprisingly less interested in them. The reason is clear - people are gripped by social media narratives they see on a daily basis, which would be a satisfying answer instead of having to pretend domestic US politics have a profound impact on their lives.
C'mon Raoul, you can't believe that .Republican congressional members have been to Africa to basically aid in establishing a death penalty for homosexuality. My family in Ireland are more tuned in to domestic policy here than the majority if Americans I live amongst.
US corporations also don't lose in the SC which in turn allows them to brazenly run over anything in their way for global profit.
The tentacles of this country stretch far and wide, this is common knowledge pal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In the midst of a global pandemic that started in a bloody wet market in the middle of nowhere you are seriously telling us you can't imagine why people in other countries might be concerned what is going on in the US?
The pandemic is a rare, one off global crisis - not a local political event.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Raoul you’re having a ‘mare here mate.

It’s perfectly obvious why people from around the world have an interest in the politics of the United States, the country which acts as self appointed world police, fecking up everything it can.

Siorac

Raoul you’re having a ‘mare here mate.

It’s perfectly obvious why people from around the world have an interest in the politics of the United States, the country which acts as self appointed world police, fecking up everything it can.
However, it's a nice change to see an American trying to downplay his own country's importance for once. Not something I'm used to.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So do the Russians and Chinese. Russia for instance, has interfered in the elections of 27 countries since 2004 and China have been steadily spreading their sphere of influence in Africa. Both actions directly influence the lives of hundreds of millions of people in dozens of countries. A more believable explanation for the US interest is that most narratives are in English and are constantly reinforced on social media, where as the latter two aren't.
The US influence on the western democracies is far larger and more direct than Russia and China, but sure the language barrier and the opaqueness of their political processes certainly play a part.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What a strange discussion.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
So do the Russians and Chinese. Russia for instance, has interfered in the elections of 27 countries since 2004 and China have been steadily spreading their sphere of influence in Africa. Both actions directly influence the lives of hundreds of millions of people in dozens of countries. A more believable explanation for the US interest is that most narratives are in English and are constantly reinforced on social media, where as the latter two aren't.
When did China or Russia assassinate democratically elected leaders and personally install fascist puppets?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
100%. People are constantly bombarded with carefully curated social media and tv news stories about US politics, so it makes sense that they are gripped by the Trump story.
you have almost 7000 posts in the trump presidency thread. why are you so bombarded by social media and gripped by the "drumpf" story

nimic

something nice
Scout
The US influence on the western democracies is far larger and more direct than Russia and China, but sure the language barrier and the opaqueness of their political processes certainly play a part.
Hell, "far larger" is an understatement, if anything. We're talking many orders of magnitude here.

Drifter

American
Tim Kaine on SCOTUS nomination: 'I'm asking Republicans to be true to their word'

As long as there are Dems like him, they will continue to lose.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Plus details of politics and the judiciary matter much less in Russia and China, since power is extremely centralized. Once I have some idea of what Putin is up to, it doesn't really matter what's happening in parliament or the supreme court in Russia.
The pandemic is a rare, one off global crisis - not a local political event.
You keep saying the SC is a very local thing, but that makes little sense. It's an issue of huge national interest in the US because of the far-reaching ramifications of the make-up of the SC. So it makes sense that people interested in the US (for all the reasons others have listed) are now also interested in the issue of the new SC judge, since a Trump appointment would shift the power balance. I'm sure people would care much less if Biden would get to pick the next judge, as that wouldn't significantly change things for the SC. (Or not as significantly, anyway.)
What a strange discussion.
Maybe a coincidence, but the discussion was triggered by a non-American supporting US conservative politics. Never seen these comments directed at all the non-American progressives posting here. (I'm a recent addition, but have been following this thread for years.)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I remember seeing the pic of her at the wedding, didn't realise it was exactly 2 weeks ago.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I for one agree with @Raoul here. I've often wondered why, as an Indian, I'm not half as interested/informed about Chinese/Russian politics as I am about the UK/US scenario.

It's not just impact on your own nation - the Chinese are literally taking our land while our 'strongmen' leaders deny and deflect with a national media witch hunt of an actress. The answer is clearly the English media I consume - BBC, Guardian, etc and where I spend my time - RedCafe, YouTube with John Oliver/Trevor Noah, etc. It's probably the trust factor as well - I trust the BBC's coverage of a Indian politics more than I trust Indian channels - the latter are almost all propaganda at this stage.

Heck, I actively try and avoid Indian media and politics at times because it disgusts me and depresses me, and I'm looking to move to the US/UK long term anyways.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I do genuinely wonder if Romney plans to vote nay if Trump nominates another under-qualified judge. He clearly hates Trump’s guts and enjoys his comfy senate seat.

sport2793

With the Romney news, it's safe to say that I'm sold on some level of court packing. The status quo we are heading towards is frankly untenable and unacceptable.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I do genuinely wonder if Romney plans to vote nay if Trump nominates another under-qualified judge. He clearly hates Trump’s guts and enjoys his comfy senate seat.
He no doubt thinks Trump will lose, but he still wants those sweet sweet conservative judgements for the future.

SirAF

Ageist
With the Romney news, it's safe to say that I'm sold on some level of court packing. The status quo we are heading towards is frankly untenable and unacceptable.
Of course! The Dems have to start fighting dirty. If he wins this is one of the first things Biden should get to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He no doubt thinks Trump will lose, but he still wants those sweet sweet conservative judgements for the future.
I‘m probably completely wrong and he will be a standard Republican once again but I do think he will want someone that actually qualifies over someone with a Mar-a-lago membership.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I‘m probably completely wrong and he will be a standard Republican once again but I do think he will want someone that actually qualifies over someone with a Mar-a-lago membership.
I agree, but Trump will just put up a red meat conservative and he'll lap it up. Murkowski and Collins get the cover to vote against it, they're all happy.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Pretty surprised at Romney, thought he'd side with morals to be honest.

Regardless, perhaps this is what is necessary. This should force a possible Biden presidency to try and add Supreme Court seats. The justification is extremely simple, and the best way I've seen it described is thus:
4 of the seats on the Supreme Court will have been nominated and appointed by a President/Senate combination that represented the minority of voters. The SC is now the de facto arbiter of controversial legislation, because the US is so obsessed with legal fights.

So a very real situation in the future could be a Democrat clean sweep - Congress/Senate/Presidency, elected by the vast majority of Americans on, say, a platform of climate change. They could write and sign into law an EPA-measuring regime requiring the elimination of emissions.

Then 1 person or company could sue up to the SC, and that conservative super-majority could overrule the entire legislative body.

This is the McConnell/ Old Christian white dude plan. Things like Roe V Wade is a 65/35 issue - and the 35 is about to win. Similar with the ACA - it has over 70% support in some polls, the SC will strike it down if it becomes 6-3.

The SC is itself a perversion of democracy. So I think something will have to change in the future, and this blatant hypocrisy of the GOP gives the dems the ammo they need to do it.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, putting your hopes on Romney shows you're already done.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think Dems should water time picking a fight they can't win. Saying that, they should absolutely resolve to.pack the court.
They won't though.

SirAF

Ageist
Don't think Dems should water time picking a fight they can't win. Saying that, they should absolutely resolve to.pack the court.
They won't though.
Why wouldn’t they though? They people who would potentially be offended by such a move surely wouldn’t vote D anyway? If it’s practically doable then it seems like a no-brainer to me after these latest GOP shenanigans.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Regardless, perhaps this is what is necessary. This should force a possible Biden presidency to try and add Supreme Court seats. The justification is extremely simple, and the best way I've seen it described is thus:
4 of the seats on the Supreme Court will have been nominated and appointed by a President/Senate combination that represented the minority of voters. The SC is now the de facto arbiter of controversial legislation, because the US is so obsessed with legal fights.

So a very real situation in the future could be a Democrat clean sweep - Congress/Senate/Presidency, elected by the vast majority of Americans on, say, a platform of climate change. They could write and sign into law an EPA-measuring regime requiring the elimination of emissions.

Then 1 person or company could sue up to the SC, and that conservative super-majority could overrule the entire legislative body.

This is the McConnell/ Old Christian white dude plan. Things like Roe V Wade is a 65/35 issue - and the 35 is about to win. Similar with the ACA - it has over 70% support in some polls, the SC will strike it down if it becomes 6-3.

The SC is itself a perversion of democracy. So I think something will have to change in the future, and this blatant hypocrisy of the GOP gives the dems the ammo they need to do it.
I can see the plan being that the SC will not make radical changes to social issues like Roe vs Wade, so that even a large section of Democrats will be content, but will continue to make pro-business judgement akin to what you said about the green new deal. That would give likes of Biden and Pelosi the excuse to not exercise any kind of nuclear option.

Libano

Many US Democrats are going through the 5 stages of grief right now. Most are still stuck between denial and bargaining.

It won’t change the predictable outcome.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Trump should nominate Bernie to the SC and then you'll see Democrats magically come together to fight hard against it.

WPMUFC

:lol: its genuinely incredible that you think any elected Republican has any decent morals in the first pace.

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Per chance is there anyone that Trump might pick that is actually decent?
It's probably someone fairly reasonable, as otherwise he won't get enough GOP senators to support the candidate. No-one bat-shit crazy. They'll be clearly on the right though, to replace someone was clearly on the left and was part of a fairly balanced SC. That loss of balance is what people worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.