Reaction of opposition fans to the protest

Rob67

I've had a look this morning on forums of rival clubs to see the reaction to yesterday's protest. I hoped that the fans of the other 'Greedy Six' clubs would be behind the protests and support the fight against the leeches that are trying to ruin our game.

The condemnation by other fans (especially Liverpool) is unbelievable. Their faux outrage at the few idiots who went too far yesterday with the throwing of flares and bottles is laughable. Have they coveniently forgotten the 'welcome' they gave to the City and Real Madrid team coaches as they arrived at Anfield.

Liverpool fans lambasting the behaviour of United fans, you couldn't make it up.

edit: moderator removed the uncalled for naughty bit at the end

Last edited by a moderator:

pacifictheme

Haven't Liverpool fans recently attacked opposition team buses on more than one occasion?

Rob67

Haven't Liverpool fans recently attacked opposition team buses on more than one occasion?
Throwing flares and bottles, smashing the bus windows was just them showing passion for their club, apparently.

Most other fan groups I've seen are supportive that we are standing up to our owners. There are a few idiots in every protest but the media are blowing it up to look like everybody was up to no good, because they dont want the status quo disrupted any more than the Glazers do.

Do you really expect anything else from Liverpool fans?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Remember being envious of the Liverpool fans' protest to get rid of Hicks and Gillet.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
This is why people protesting need to not act like clowns throwing flares and damaging property. It's way too easy for the narrative to be distorted.

I think the larger message is harder to condemn, but it gets overshadowed by the actions of a small minority.

RoyH1

Liverpool fans just recently almost damaged Zidane's shiny head by throwing bottles at RM's bus so having them condemn us for this is a bit rich.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
You really can’t worry about what Liverpool and City fans think. They will put a negative spin on anything we do and vice versa.

It wasn’t done to please them. They don’t want the Glazers out.

ROFLUTION

I've had a look this morning on forums of rival clubs to see the reaction to yesterday's protest. I hoped that the fans of the other 'Greedy Six' clubs would be behind the protests and support the fight against the leeches that are trying to ruin our game.

The condemnation by other fans (especially Liverpool) is unbelievable. Their faux outrage at the few idiots who went too far yesterday with the throwing of flares and bottles is laughable. Have they coveniently forgotten the 'welcome' they gave to the City and Real Madrid team coaches as they arrived at Anfield.

Liverpool fans lambasting the behaviour of United fans, you couldn't make it up. At least nobody got killed.
Is this also the bigger picture or just some fans, who get noticed because they talk shit? There's quite a gap between the normal fan from a certain city to an online forum if you ask me.
Would be sad to see the narrative turned towards them, as we need every fan in other big clubs to join in as a community to create change and protest. For me, this is a time to put rivalry aside, and create change/rebellion for football as a whole.

King Eric 7

I feel like a lot of oppo fans who support our fans' protests yesterday are more likely to stay silent on their own forums rather than go against popular opinion. So you won't see a bit more balance in the discussion given the culture of any particular forum, especially one like RAWK.

I also feel that if the tables were reversed and this was a Liverpool fan protest yesterday, this forum as a whole would be more critical of the fans (although a lot more balanced in the discussion).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Guess they accepted FSGs heartfelt apology.
At least Carragher for the most part defended the protestors actions.
I knew they would, I think I said something along the lines during the time that they would give FSG the benefit of the doubt (again) and they did. Spineless. :lol:

Anyway, this is our issue and we will fight it alone.

Rob67

You really can’t worry about what Liverpool and City fans think. They will put a negative spin on anything we do and vice versa.

It wasn’t done to please them. They don’t want the Glazers out.
True. I would've hoped that all fans would be fighting for the same thing. This is bigger than club rivalry, it's the future of the whole game. Point scoring by rival fans is just pathetic and detracts from the bigger picture.

ROFLUTION

I feel like a lot of oppo fans who support our fans' protests yesterday are more likely to stay silent on their own forums rather than go against popular opinion. So you won't see a bit more balance in the discussion given the culture of any particular forum, especially one like RAWK.

I also feel that if the tables were reversed and this was a Liverpool fan protest yesterday, this forum as a whole would be more critical of the fans (although a lot more balanced in the discussion).
Yeah that's my take too. I'll give them as a fanbase as a whole the benefit of the doubt. We have to. We need change on a bigger scale where governments intervene, and we can only achieve that while not being divided.

Ibi Dreams

Depends where you look, I've mostly seen support from fans of other clubs.

Of course some opposition fans will just always be against anything United or United fans do, and some people are just never in favour of disruptive protest. I wouldn't make any generalisations about fans of certain clubs having certain opinions on this

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If roles were reversed then Redcafe would absolutely be carrying the same sort of criticism of Liverpool fans. No doubt along with the usual "always the victims" type comments. It shouldn't be a surprise.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Redcafe would be the same (critical) if roles were reversed (with Liverpool fans). It's disingenuous pretending otherwise.
Personally, I understand United fans ire against their club owners but to suggest rival fans from other big six clubs join in to protest changes in management? Well no not for me. We have the best club owner and administration (Bruce Buck and Marina Granovskia) in the world and I wouldn't swap them for any other.
We did our fair share in protesting the I'll adviced ESL move and the club quickly responded by pulling out.
We have our men's first team in the FA Cup final, one foot towards a CL final and the women's first team in a CL final and close to winning the league. We are good here thank you.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I can see why you would protest, I just don't see the value of it. If you want change, unsubscribe to social media, don't buy season tickets, don't by merchandise its the only way the Glaziers or any owner will leave as long as the Glaziers make money they will not sell.

Rob67

Redcafe would be the same (critical) if roles were reversed (with Liverpool fans). It's disingenuous pretending otherwise.
Personally, I understand United fans ire against their club owners but to suggest rival fans from other big six clubs join in to protest changes in management? Well no not for me. We have the best club owner and administration (Bruce Buck and Marina Granovskia) in the world and I wouldn't swap them for any other.
We did our fair share in protesting the I'll adviced ESL move and the club quickly responded by pulling out.
We have our men's first team in the FA Cup final, one foot towards a CL final and the women's first team in a CL final and close to winning the league. We are good here thank you.
So if your fans wouldn't have protested against the ESL, Chelsea would have happily joined it and been a member of the 'Greedy Six' that would have ruined football. The 'I'm alright Jack' attitude and selfishness of these clubs is what caused the problem in the first place.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So if your fans wouldn't have protested against the ESL, Chelsea would have happily joined it and been a member of the 'Greedy Six' that would have ruined football. The 'I'm alright Jack' attitude and selfishness of these clubs is what caused the problem in the first place.
Tbf to Chelsea and City fans, if not for their owners they would be midtable and championship teams. So they don't have anything to protest against the owners.

croadyman

Liverpool fans lambasting the behaviour of United fans, you couldn't make it up. At least nobody got killed.
Yeah we simply have to really stick together over this and certainly not fall into the trap of falling for the media narrative that the likes of Sky Sports & Talksport (god Durham will be a right wanker) will spin and tar all us supporters with the same brush because we are better than that

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's quite pathetic and disappointing but not unexpected.

However, if you look around the YouTube community, most oppo fans are supportive. I think the tribal idiots have short memories but that's to be expected.

I would also imagine there's a subconscious fear of United getting back its place at the top. These oppo fans have been laughing at us for years, knowing the Glazers act as a huge hand break to our ambitions and ability to spend and therefore dominate English football.

The rival fans know their time under the sun will be mostly over if we ever come out of this ownership structure, even without a sugar daddy but just where the club is able to spend its own money.

There's also a fair few who love to virtue-signal without providing the nuance the protest was by-and-large very peaceful. Heck, we have a significant minority on here who prefer some sort of sanitised, idealistic version of protesting where nothing ever goes wrong to the one that's less cut-and-dry but may actually lead to something actually happening.

Ekeke

What if the opposition supporters didnt endorse the bad behaviour of their own fans in the past? Can they not think this is bad, and also think that a section of their fans did something bad too?

red thru&thru

Why was anyone/many expecting acceptance from the opposition fans? Who really cares?
We have our own fans who have condemned the actions.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You want to read comment section on M.E.N. Full of Berties screaming we are just jealous and Manchester is Blue.

BFernandes

I'm more pissed off with the reaction of the media, to be honest.

The narrative from Sky and BBC reads like the Glazers are the good guys, that they've backed the club sufficiently, and the only reason for the decline of the club is that money has been spent badly. The only condemnation I see (except from Neville and Carragher) are for the supporters trying to get their club back.

Not a word on how the Glazers managed to plunge this club into debt impossible to get out from. How the stadium has been left to rot. The fans probably got to the pitch through a hole in the wall! How the owners spend money to get into the Champions League, then refuse to back once it's achieved. Nothing about the state of the training ground. Nothing about more than £1 billion of interest on the debt that's been paid, only to have reduced it by £300 million. Or about the hundreds of millions they have pocketed for themselves whilst the club haemorrhages left, right and centre.

Yeah, but a couple of hundred pissed off supporters are the problem here.

feck off.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

The narrative from Sky and BBC reads like the Glazers are the good guys, that they've backed the club sufficiently, and the only reason for the decline of the club is that money has been spent badly. The only condemnation I see (except from Neville and Carragher) are for the supporters trying to get their club back.

Not a word on how the Glazers managed to plunge this club into debt impossible to get out from. How the stadium has been left to rot. The fans probably got to the pitch through a hole in the wall! How the owners spend money to get into the Champions League, then refuse to back once it's achieved. Nothing about the state of the training ground. Nothing about more than £1 billion of interest on the debt that's been paid, only to have reduced it by £300 million. Or about the hundreds of millions they have pocketed for themselves whilst the club haemorrhages left, right and centre.

feck off.
It’s even more ironic because a week ago they were encouraging protests when it had potential to affect Sky’s bottom line.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Yeah...i saw that as well. Them clutching their pearls and lamenting about the "brutes" that protested is peak hypocrisy

diarm

Honestly, yes I do.
Me too. I praised Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal fans who protested over the last few weeks and I genuinely believed we could all put aside tribal differences to fight together for what was right here.

Honestly, yes I do.
I wish i shared your optimism. They're universally loathed by fans of others clubs, even more than we are after dominating the game for 25 years. There's a reason for that.

led_scholes

I think the OP made a mistake to include all the big 6. Obviously, Chelsea and City love their owners. Without them, you (and City) would still have remained irrelevant.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

feck off.
Well said and a lot of the fans that have been critical and negative are the ones that consume this type of media religiously and let it shape their views.

cyberman

Nonsense. Absolute bullshit. Utd fans did nothing but praise their fanbase when going after Hicks and Gillettee.
But we are proper clubs, not worshipping some billionaire idol to stay relevant.

James Peril

If roles were reversed then Redcafe would absolutely be carrying the same sort of criticism of Liverpool fans. No doubt along with the usual "always the victims" type comments. It shouldn't be a surprise.
100% correct. It’s a bit like a penalty or red card stuation. If it’s for United it’s a penalty, if it’s for Liverpool it’s definitely not, and vice versa between fans. The following dicussion is not worth having of course, a bit like reading a Samsung-users’ comment in a newspaper-article about a new iPhone - and the responses. For all other sane and rational people, it’s great fun though.

NFM

You want to read comment section on M.E.N. Full of Berties screaming we are just jealous and Manchester is Blue.
If you are honest , the first part of that sentence is true, a lot of United supporters , especially the younger ones., are indeed just jealous of City running away with the title and probably the CL. I said it earlier if United had won rather than lost 3 of the first 4 games of the season, and had 9 more points before the Liverpool match there would have been NO demonstrations at all.
And the hypocrisy about the ESL , with United ignoring the threats of the FA and Football League to enter the European Cup in 1956 is clear.
Its true the Glazers have employed typical debt management to buy United, but this argument is now almost 20 years old, its got hairs on it. Its also true that Woodward and a succession of managers have spent millions on poor transfers and wages. Indeed a good argument could be made United would have been a lot better spending say 10% on refurb of OT over that time, but that would not exactly have gone down well either with some elements of the fans.
The Glazers are far from ideal, neither is the financing structure. But in its history United have had worse owners that didn't stop the Club being successful.

TheReligion

Abusive
And it's that kind of attitude that sees the English game in a mess. I'm alright jack cause of our billionaire owner whilst other clubs go under like Bury.

Nice one.