Real Betis vs Manchester United | Match Thread

Black Alabaster

I missed the first 60, how has Mainoo been did he start so getting 90 mins?

-edit
Just watched the first half highlights, we've been getting battered non stop it seems. Unfortunate.

lysglimt

Scout
I missed the first 60, how has Mainoo been did he start so getting 90 mins?

-edit
Just watched the first half highlights, we've been getting battered non stop it seems. Unfortunate.
It hasn't been as bad as that - they have been the better side but have not really created that many chances. We have performed much better than we did against Cadiz. But they are just a lot better side than our reserve-players

Beaucoup

Mainoo makes zero attempt to track runners, real poor side of his game.

Full time, 1-0 Real Betis

Glorio

I know I wasn't holding much hope that these kids would turn an almost full strength Betis over, but 2 straight losses is a bit of an annoyance

always_hoping

Didn't get the opportunity to watch this game, those that did watch it any positives to take out of it?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Smart of ETH to play with 11 players
:D Hansen-Aaroen was impressive, esp. compared to DvB.

It is obvious Donny needs to go, but who the feck is going to buy him? Dude looks dead.

NewGlory

Didn't get the opportunity to watch this game, those that did watch it any positives to take out of it?
Considering we played partially with kids against Betis who we would have hard time beating even at our full strength, in a competitive match - it wasn't too bad. But we also played a whole bunch of senior players, it wasn't all kids. Martial, McT, Elanga, Williams, Lindelof were worryingly bad. Martial should have scored in a game like this, and if we have to play any of the other senior ones when we have real games, we are in big trouble. Garnacho was also not good enough (not a senior player but for somebody breaking through). AWB was much better than previous match with Cadiz. AWB was at the level he was with Ole - good defensively and horrible in attack.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Cmon are you guys analyzing mid pre season games? Players aren’t really putting their all in and also don’t want to get injured. The kids could have done better but some were good but all in all I wouldn’t read anything into any of this.

city-puma

Considering we played partially with kids against Betis who we would have hard time beating even at our full strength, in a competitive match - it wasn't too bad. But we also played a whole bunch of senior players, it wasn't all kids. Martial, McT, Elanga, Williams, Lindelof were worryingly bad. Martial should have scored in a game like this, and if we have to play any of the other senior ones when we have real games, we are in big trouble. Garnacho was also not good enough (not a senior player but for somebody breaking through). AWB was much better than previous match with Cadiz. AWB was at the level he was with Ole - good defensively and horrible in attack.
We need AWB come back to a good level asap. Dalot seemed just picked up a muscle injury as it looked.

always_hoping

OMG another World cup where a missed penalty will be the talking point for Englands exit?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Decent showing based on when I could be bothered to pay attention.

Betis are a much better side than Cadiz

NewGlory

We need AWB come back to a good level asap. Dalot seemed just picked up a muscle injury as it looked.
Or we need to buy somebody, ASAP. Unfortunately, AWB never had a good level and has no hope whatsoever under ETH. AWB was always shit in attack, which is unacceptable for ETH system, and while his tackles used to be second to none, his intelligence in movements was always subpar.

AWB will be leaving and we need a proper right back as a backup for Dalot.

Boondog

Sancho is in the Netherlands training with some 3rd or 4th division EtH mates
He is probably surviving on a diet of jenever and salt herring. Also they probably make him run ten Hag's selected drill every day until he pukes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Having watched both games in full I have to say that absolutely nothing positive came out of them. The established players looked exactly how they’ve always looked. Some good stuff and a lot of bad stuff. The same strengths and weaknesses that have become all too familiar over the last several years. Which included Martial flattering to deceive after we all convinced ourselves he was better than he really is, while out injured.

And, unfortunately, none of the youngsters looked good enough to displace any of the established players.

So yeah. Overall a bit disappointing and slightly pointless couple of games of football. All it achieved was what we’ve known for ages. We’re desperately reliant on our best XI players staying fit. And even then our team is still not as good as the best in the league, mainly due to the lack of quality up front.

Telsim

There are so many players in our squad that need moving and replacing. Relying on the likes of Martial, AWB, Van de Beek, Elanga, Williams to provide quality and depth is just a bad state of affairs.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
you are talking about a decent Spanish outfit against our kids (apart from a couple of older players) so its more of a valuable learning exercise for our youngsters. bothered about the result . Iqbal, garnacho, Mainoo had their moments.In fact, hanson-Aaron looks better than Van der Beeke. AWB improved from Cadiz understandably. They are mostly teenagers . Give them a flipping break

Hoof the ball

you are talking about a decent Spanish outfit against our kids (apart from a couple of older players) so its more of a valuable learning exercise for our youngsters. bothered about the result . Iqbal, garnacho, Mainoo had their moments.In fact, hanson-Aaron looks better than Van der Beeke. AWB improved from Cadiz understandably. They are mostly teenagers . Give them a flipping break
AWB has had more false dawns than an insomniac.

lex talionis

I know I wasn't holding much hope that these kids would turn an almost full strength Betis over, but 2 straight losses is a bit of an annoyance
Two straight losses in meaningless, mid-season friendlies really shouldn't be an annoyance to anyone for all the obvious reasons. But more importantly than the obvious reasons, "losses" in these kinds of matches -- and in life, actually -- ultimately do more than good than harm. These were valuable learning experiences for these players, who would otherwise be playing against much lesser opposition. Hopefully the character of these younger players is such that they will actually learn something valuable from these valuable learning experiences and become better players for it. We don't know that that will be the case, but under the management of ETH I suspect it will be. Give these "losses" no more thought.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I thought it was a bit OTT that Betis only opened the bottom layer of seating but still isolated the small group of United fans way up the Gods in the normal away section, surrounded by empty seats and above another closed off level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The kids aren’t being criticised though. Other than saying they don’t look ready to play for the first team. Which is fair enough. Why should they be? They’re only kids.

The depressing thing about these two games is that not one of the more senior players impressed in both game. Every one of them was poor in at least one match (some of them 0 from 2) That’s the downer here. Not kids being kids.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The kids aren’t being criticised though. Other than saying they don’t look ready to play for the first team. Which is fair enough. Why should they be? They’re only kids.

The depressing thing about these two games is that not one of the more senior players impressed in both game. Every one of them was poor in at least one match (some of them 0 from 2) That’s the downer here. Not kids being kids.
I think writing martial off because he didn’t impress in 45 minutes when playing with a 3rd string 11 against a good Spanish side in a friendly is a tad bizarre. Getting depressed over meaningless friendlies involving our strongest team is an overreaction let alone teams with a few senior players surrounded by kids!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
seems to me these friendlies were even more a waste of time than I suspected they would be. I'd rather have had ETH in Qatar looking at possible transfer targets

pascell

seems to me these friendlies were even more a waste of time than I suspected they would be. I'd rather have had ETH in Qatar looking at possible transfer targets
They won't have been seen as a waste of time to the youngsters that took part.

Plus, training alone isn't going to keep the first team members who went on the trip fit or sharp enough for when the PL resumes. We have to hit the ground running when we get playing again because the performances running into the WC were starting to flatline.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
They won't have been seen as a waste of time to the youngsters that took part.

Plus, training alone isn't going to keep the first team members who went on the trip fit or sharp enough for when the PL resumes. We have to hit the ground running when we get playing again because the performances running into the WC were starting to flatline.
Not much point in training if 80% of the guys aren't there to take part. How much can you work on without them? Very little, I'd wager. I remember Steve Bruce turning up to training alone on a few occasions when he was the only one not on international duty!

I agree about the youngsters but two defeats might no help them that much...

Maticmaker

Surely two games against reasonable Spanish opposition, at home, was just an excuse for warm weather training and keeping the legs of some more established players from seizing up, whilst the WC was on. If some of our youngsters didn't see this has a chance to make their mark, then there is a good chance ETH will be moving them on next season.