Real Madrid’s £700-Million Stadium Redevelopment

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just a question, but why does a team that play in Madrid need a closing roof on their stadium? I get covering it all, but surely there is no need for a sliding roof.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
At first I didn't like it too much, less than other alternatives but now I like it more. Seeing the goal of Zidane or the Siuuuu on the metal surface outside the stadium has to be quite impressive.
I like that the original inclination of the bleachers is maintained.
The inauguration could be a Nadal-Federer
Just a question, but why does a team that play in Madrid need a closing roof on their stadium? I get covering it all, but surely there is no need for a sliding roof.
To rent the venue for concerts, etc.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Very nice however, not sure why it would be necessary to install a fully closed roof in Madrid. Should save themselves a hundred million or so and drop that.
Why don't you save yourself some money and not put a roof on your house?

Not so clever now, are you?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm always surprised by how categorical people can be when it comes to stadiums. It's a constant and I bet that the stadiums that we now consider soulful were once considered soulless and ugly.

cj_sparky

Real Madrid sourced finances for the redevelopment, from the very same people funding the Super League.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm always surprised by how categorical people can be when it comes to stadiums. It's a constant and I bet that the stadiums that we now consider soulful were once considered soulless and ugly.
History can only be made by the present happening.

It takes time for this to transpire, but the fact remains that with a new stadium you are eradicating the entire clubs history in one fell swoop.

With a development of an older stadium the process isn't too bad, but it still changes the feeling and heartbeat of the structure

Boavista

It looks great but it lacks a bit of character, possibly because we associate these old stadiums with football. The design is sleek and modern but I wouldn't say it's generic. To some extent it's just a bit jarring going from a recognisable football stadium to a futuristic entertainment arena. Like going from an early 90s mobile phone straight to a modern phone that's basically just a slab with a touch screen. It's not like the current Bernabeu is particularly nice to look at, although I quite like the almost brutalist columns on the corners. The retractable roof on the new design seems disproportionately small though. You don't want to go to a stadium and feel like you're indoors, but maybe it just seems that way in the video.

Ultimately there's only so much redevelopment you can do while preserving the old character. Trying to incorporate existing elements would be somewhat limiting in terms of design and facilities. So if you're already investing a huge amount of money, you might as well do it all and make sure it's future proof.

Hammondo

Looks amazing. They got investment for this by selling the naming rights.

JPRouve

Scout

It takes time for this to transpire, but the fact remains that with a new stadium you are eradicating the entire clubs history in one fell swoop.

With a development of an older stadium the process isn't too bad, but it still changes the feeling and heartbeat of the structure
No you are not eradicating a club's history with a new stadium, you simply write a new chapter. History is in our minds, in the pictures and videos that remain, in the past articles that we read and especially in the stories that we share with each others.

Would be interesting to get the perspective of Juventus fans on this.

I wonder how many times they have eradicated their entire clubs history?

stevoc

I mean, that's pretty much standard procedure for anyone

The stadium renovations are the reason why Flo pushed for the SL right now, like that, though. A matter of timing
I'm not criticizing Real for taking out a loan I was just pointing out the connection between between them, JP Morgan, their debt and the push for the Super League.

Champ

No you are not eradicating a club's history with a new stadium, you simply write a new chapter. History is in our minds, in the pictures and videos that remain, in the past articles that we read and especially in the stories that we share with each others.
Is it possible to feel that history if that something doesn't exist though?
You can have thoughts about history, but walking through Old Trafford for example, you can tangibly feel the history.
You don't get the same feeling in the Emirates. It just isn't there.
It may be there in thirty/forty years time, but that's for a different generation.

stevoc

I am confused as well, I just don't know what some people want. What do they mean by "it has no soul" . It looks amazing!
A lot of people just don't care for modern architecture.

Champ

Would be interesting to get the perspective of Juventus fans on this.

I wonder how many times they have eradicated their entire clubs history?
Yeah, that would be interesting.

However, I am mightily impressed by their new ground. It encompasses most of the culture of the club.

Although, Juves history is steeped in controversy, so maybe they wanted to start again?!

laughtersassassin

The renovations at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu continue full force during the COVID-19 pandemic

https://ftnnews.com/sports/41676-the-santiago-bernabeu-real-madrid-s-700-million-stadium-redevelopment#:~:text=On June 14th, 2020, Real,on their traditional home ground.&text=Now, Real Madrid are seeking,73-year-old ground.

Our poor stadium just gets older and older...
How can Real Madrid afford this.
Football Clubs find a way. Businesses find an excuse.

That's the difference between us and then nowadays

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Without the super league money Real are going to be in big trouble financially. Couldn't have picked a worse time to do the stadium. Perez midas touch gone to hell last couple of years.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I wouldnt mind our club having debt if the investment was in refurbishing the stadium and surounding area rather than to buy the club and line the pockets of the directors.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I like Allianz Arena very much, but I'm not sure I'm going to like the new Bernabeu until I see it finished. Videos don't look that convincing to me.

JPRouve

Scout
Is it possible to feel that history if that something doesn't exist though?
You can have thoughts about history, but walking through Old Trafford for example, you can tangibly feel the history.
You don't get the same feeling in the Emirates. It just isn't there.
It may be there in thirty/forty years time, but that's for a different generation.
The mistake that you are making is by putting yourself at the center of history, you/we are not, your feelings aren't part of history unless you share them with someone else and turn them into an "event". For example the history of Old Trafford is linked to everyone that has experienced moments associated with Old Trafford, the Stadium could disappear tomorrow but his history won't as long as we remember and share our memories and past feelings.
In fact look at what you are doing with the Emirates, you are judging it with Highbury in mind, Highbury isn't there anymore but its history, its link to Arsenal is strong even for someone that isn't a fan of Arsenal. Arsenal didn't eradicate their history by moving to the Emirates, they added a new chapter, people may not like that chapter but that's irrelevant because history isn't about what we like or not but what we remember/associates or not.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
That’s exactly what it looks like.

My favourite design was for the new Stamford Bridge, that looked superb in my opinion, brilliant architecture to fit in with the surroundings.

The arches gave it an almost Roman (no pun intended) feel. A stadium design where it felt some actual thought went into it.
Looks like a big train station.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What? The club lost £100M. How will they make up for that loss in revenues and then hope to have a decent transfer budget to try & compete next season?
Expanding the stadium would have meant making a lot more money in the following years. Doing it in a season with no fans would have saved them money compared to limiting seating for renovations in a normal season.

stevoc

Football Clubs find a way. Businesses find an excuse.

That's the difference between us and then nowadays
Yeah that way is borrowing money.

Would you like to see the Glazers take out a £400-500m loan and load that debt onto the club to redevelop OT in a similar fashion?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, i'm a big fan of the Chelsea stadium design, looks totally different and unique compared to all the modern stadiums. None of whom have any real character. All subjective at the end of the day though.

JPRouve

Scout
Expanding the stadium would have meant making a lot more money in the following years. Doing it in a season with no fans would have saved them money compared to limiting seating for renovations in a normal season.
You can't really plan this kind of things at the last minute between financing and construction permits.

The mistake that you are making is by putting yourself at the center of history, you/we are not, your feelings aren't part of history unless you share them with someone else and turn them into an "event". For example the history of Old Trafford is linked to everyone that has experienced moments associated with Old Trafford, the Stadium could disappear tomorrow but his history won't as long as we remember and share our memories and past feelings.
In fact look at what you are doing with the Emirates, you are judging it with Highbury in mind, Highbury isn't there anymore but its history, its link to Arsenal is strong even for someone that isn't a fan of Arsenal. Arsenal didn't eradicate their history by moving to the Emirates, they added a new chapter, people may not like that chapter but that's irrelevant because history isn't about what we like or not but what we remember/associates or not.
Aresenal is the perfect example. They came from Woolwich.

Champ

I have to disagree with you there unfortunately.

I am not comparing Emirates with Highbury, they can't compare.
There is no history in the Emirates, intact the club tried to create a link to the past to give it an identity by putting the original Highbury clock up at one end.
Why bother if a new chapter is being created?

A structure retains the history of past generations, it permeates through every crack, wall, and chipped plaster board. That cannot be carried on through to a brand new structure, no matter how many trinkets or clocks are put up from the past.

A clubs history is intrinsically linked to it's ground. Changes do need to be made, but a club is consigning their past to photos and annuals when they move grounds.

That's not to say I would be against United ever moving grounds, but I would much prefer renovations of Old Trafford over a brand new ground.

Yeah that way is borrowing money.

Would you like to see the Glazers take out a £400-500m loan and load that debt onto the club to redevelop OT in a similar fashion?
Chelsea is such a tight site.

i wish they could have moved to Battersea, that stadium design was spectacular.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Without the super league money Real are going to be in big trouble financially. Couldn't have picked a worse time to do the stadium. Perez midas touch gone to hell last couple of years.
Real was the most profitable club with the biggest revenue. They will be just fine after Covid.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its hindsight. No one can anticipate how long the pandemic would last or how longer its can still drag on. So if I was management I would focus on what I can control. Too many unknowns with stadium refurbishment. What if there was another lockdown and all the work has to stop in mid-season?

RUCK4444

That's just BS though. There's no point being sentimental about Old Trafford, it needs a major overhaul. The seats are cramped. That fecking 3rd tier is just awful with the roof obscuring the view. I've been up there a couple of times and I'll never go up there again. And it needs some decent screens. I don't get why Chelsea, Everton and the like can submit plans for new developments but United can't?
I’m not being sentimental, I’m also not giving a shite if it’s big and shiney like Spurs stadium or this one for Madrid. Our worries are very much on the pitch not off it.

Ive said the seating needs improving and a lick of paint but a stadium is about the atmosphere at the end of the day. Cram as many people in as you can and the bricks and mortar matter little.

I don’t ever remember leaving old Trafford talking one minute about how it needs to totally redesigned into a Spurs cheese room with a cinema and some nice shops... I care about the football played first and foremost.

I’m not being sentimental, I’m also not giving a shite if it’s big and shiney like Spurs stadium or this one for Madrid. Our worries are very much on the pitch not off it.

Ive said the seating needs improving and a lick of paint but a stadium is about the atmosphere at the end of the day. Cram as many people in as you can and the bricks and mortar matter little.

I don’t ever remember leaving old Trafford talking one minute about how it needs to totally redesigned into a Spurs cheese room with a cinema and some nice shops... I care about the football played first and foremost.
there’s compromise needed in all this.

Wembley is a good example with the twin towers - they were iconic. We still remember them, but we have to move on.

in an ideal world, we would want to redevelop OT as it is. But with some of the difficulties around the train line, it may* not be worth it/ possible - when compared to building a new stadium.

I think it’s important to be open minded.

We need a stadium that’s going to be fit for purpose for the next 100 years.

JPRouve

Scout
I have to disagree with you there unfortunately.

I am not comparing Emirates with Highbury, they can't compare.
There is no history in the Emirates, intact the club tried to create a link to the past to give it an identity by putting the original Highbury clock up at one end.
Why bother if a new chapter is being created?

A structure retains the history of past generations, it permeates through every crack, wall, and chipped plaster board. That cannot be carried on through to a brand new structure, no matter how many trinkets or clocks are put up from the past.

A clubs history is intrinsically linked to it's ground. Changes do need to be made, but a club is consigning their past to photos and annuals when they move grounds.

That's not to say I would be against United ever moving grounds, but I would much prefer renovations of Old Trafford over a brand new ground.
But none of that points to the eradication of history. It seems that you want old for the sake of it being old because you clearly didn't forget the history of Arsenal stadiums when they moved to the Emirates and it clearly hasn't been eradicated. Also the clock isn't to give history to the Emirates but to keep sharing the history of Highbury, the history of the Emirates is currently being written, we are contemporary of it and following generations will look at it the same way we look at Highbury and previous stadiums.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
No they just get the government to buy their training ground for 400m more than it is worth.
Come on you are saying the state did not bail Madrid out?
You are shifting the goalposts to an absurd degree after making a completely false statement.

The "government" did not "buy Real Madrid's training ground" for "400m more than it is worth." There is literally no truth to this statement; every single part of it is wrong. You are repeating half-remembered bits and pieces you've read over the years like a drunk at a bar.

Last edited:

redshaw

You also have to book building firms and some materials well in advance, sometimes years ahead assuming you have plans ready to go which we almost probably don't. A new elevated roof around most of the stadium would've been great during this time though. If we planned better in the 2000s we wouldn't need to change the cantilever roof.

Regarding Arsenal's new ground, sometimes the design just isn't good, not matter how much is won there I feel they could've done a 100 times better job, especially with a bespoke football stadium off the back of Highbury. The new white hart lane has some good elements.

If United built an 80-90k Emirates I'd be mortified. Something along the lines of the current OT or Bernabeu, you can retain the seating style and incorporate everything modern. Bayern's stadium is laid out well too.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Nobody's talking about it being big and shiny. But that doesn't mean it has to be antiquated either. You can have both you know.