Real Madrid 2022-2023 edition

Suedesi

How do the resident merengues feel about the upcoming season? Everyone knows Barca is going nuts in the market, and Real Madrid went from a potential summer of Mbappe and/or Haaland to no one upfront and RW.

Tchouameni and Rudiger are super solid additions, but am I the only one feeling that you're one Benzema injury away from having a meh season?

Nero

They'll still win the league even with a meh season. Barcelona are a shambles.

Suedesi

Barcelona are a shambles on the corporate level, but not sure they will be a shambles on the pitch. Xavi's done well since taking over and they've added some serious strength to the squad.

Madrid are stacked in midfield and defense - but the attack seems a bit lacking. Only Karim and Vini are undisputed starters, they need a right sided forward and a backup for Benz.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They‘d be set if Chelsea‘s version of Hazard would show up, alas… Who is even playing RW? Rodrygo? Or will they switch away from a 433?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s weird how they can be shit/in transition yet still do the league and European cup double. Kind of annoys me how they never seem to be really shit. Most other top clubs have a spell in the wilderness every now and again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another Benzy carry job and they’re golden. I don’t rate any of Barcelona’s moves (apart from Lewandowski, that’s a bit of a game changer) — but I still expect Madrid to retain the league title. CL is a different matter. Can’t see them getting that crazy luck a second season running.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s weird how they can be shit/in transition yet still do the league and European cup double. Kind of annoys me how they never seem to be really shit. Most other top clubs have a spell in the wilderness every now and again.
They really are the definition of “football erritaj”.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised they haven’t bought another attacker. Seem light up front.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Ancelotti has confirmed that there will only be outgoings during the rest of the window.
Hazard has asked to be played as a false 9 so that should be interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Courtois/Lunin

Carvajal/Lucas -------------------Militao/Nacho/Vallejo------------------------------Alaba/Rudiger-----------------------------------------Mendy/Gutierrez

------------------------Modric/Valverde--------------------------Casemiro/Tchouameni----------------------Kroos/Camavinga/Ceballos--------------------

------------------------Rodrygo/Asensio/Peter-------------Benzema/Hazard/Mariano/Latasa-----------------------------Vinicius/Arribas----------------

Possible exits: Asensio, Mariano, Odriozola, Borja Mayoral, Reinier (last 3 not been given squad numbers)

Overall a squad capable of winning La Liga and going deep in the CL.

Bwuk

Ancelotti has confirmed that there will only be outgoings during the rest of the window.
Hazard has asked to be played as a false 9 so that should be interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Courtois/Lunin

Carvajal/Lucas -------------------Militao/Nacho/Vallejo------------------------------Alaba/Rudiger-----------------------------------------Mendy/Gutierrez

------------------------Modric/Valverde--------------------------Casemiro/Tchouameni----------------------Kroos/Camavinga/Ceballos--------------------

------------------------Rodrygo/Asensio/Peter-------------Benzema/Hazard/Mariano/Latasa-----------------------------Vinicius/Arribas----------------

Possible exits: Asensio, Mariano, Odriozola, Borja Mayoral, Reinier (last 3 not been given squad numbers)

Overall a squad capable of winning La Liga and going deep in the CL.
Mental request as he's never going to start ahead of Benzema.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They'll win the la liga but I don't think they'll do much in the CL, they're talismans are one year older and the new blood is still raw, they're still gonna be a pretty solid team however.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They'll win the la liga but I don't think they'll do much in the CL, they're talismans are one year older and the new blood is still raw, they're still gonna be a pretty solid team however.
Genuinely won’t be surprised if they go on to win it again. They will preserve the old legs with the fresh talent. You can’t accuse these players of every getting complacent.

MUFC OK

Always been my preferred spanish team, still delighted they beat the scousers.

Their next generation midfield of Valverde, Camavinga, Tchouameni is going to be pretty special.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Genuinely won’t be surprised if they go on to win it again. They will preserve the old legs with the fresh talent. You can’t accuse these players of every getting complacent.
I don't see it to be honest, as great as their old guard is they would be a year older and I doubt their quality could be replaced by the new additions.

Also while I'm not the kind of guy to attribute everything to luck jeez if they run wasn't full 50/50 moments, the only game where they kinda won comprehensively was the final for fecks sake :lol:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Mental request as he's never going to start ahead of Benzema.
I think he just wants a couple of minutes here and there to keep himself fit for the WC. His contract expires in 2023 and I think he might retire altogether.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't see it happening to be honest. Barcelona will be very focused since day one and they will have massive end product with Lewandowski.

Also, Benzema and Modric decline is more prone to happen in a season with a World Cup in the middle of it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't see it happening to be honest. Barcelona will be very focused since day one and they will have massive end product with Lewandowski.

Also, Benzema and Modric decline is more prone to happen in a season with a World Cup in the middle of it.
I just doubt it, o feel barca will have trouble implementing so many new players and xavi is too inexperienced to make it that far.

You lot are the real deal so I expect them to make it but even if you have a meltdown mideast with carlo I still expect Atletico to do better than barca.

Tallis

Always been my preferred spanish team, still delighted they beat the scousers.

Their next generation midfield of Valverde, Camavinga, Tchouameni is going to be pretty special.
That’s a strong midfield but just can’t but feel that it’s a little unbalanced. Missing the vision of a Kroos or the creativity of a Modric.

All 3 of them are blockers first although have well rounded games.

Curious to see how they compare against the Barca MF of the future comprising Nico, Pedri and Gavi. Physicality vs elegance

MUFC OK

That’s a strong midfield but just can’t but feel that it’s a little unbalanced. Missing the vision of a Kroos or the creativity of a Modric.

All 3 of them are blockers first although have well rounded games.

Curious to see how they compare against the Barca MF of the future comprising Nico, Pedri and Gavi. Physicality vs elegance
I think Tchouameni has expectional vision personally. Already as good as Kroos at switching play from left and right, which is the majority of what Kroos' career has been about.

pramodkumarca

Supports
realmadrid
Real Madrid update from an earlier season :

1. Rudiger's addition would help at CB and also Alaba can cover LB now ( pretty solid back-line)
2. Tchou additional give us an option both to replace Casemiro and also kroos
3. Ceballos would be available this season may be turn around season for him
4. Mayoral had a few good seasons at Roma - can be a really good option upfront
5. Hazard without plates is more agile and can really help us upfront.
6. Vinícius Tobias seems to have caught Carlos attention and may be good addition for Carvajal

Assuming Benzema is injured we have two options 1. Play mayoral as back-up 2. Play with false 9 with a hazard or Rodrigo upfront

Asensio and Mariano would ultimately leave

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Mayoral (Real Madrid striker) signs for Getafe, according to the media.

€10 million.

Mariano and Latasa are Benzema's backups for now.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Not signing Haaland and Mbappe looks like a failure, but Carlo is an expert veteran general, and if Benzema/Vini/Rodry/Modric/Courtois keep being TopTop players, they are still favorites for another UCL title other than City and PSG (not impressed with 22-23 Bayern).

LaLiga? We'll see. Barca has signed some great players + Lewa. Carlo isn't known for winning leagues...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The funny thing about Madrid's squad this year is that it is, probably, worse than it has been in recent seasons. At least based on ability. However, in the Champions League, Madrid just comes alive.

There's just something about the Champions League anthem that brings out it's best. It's like when Billy Batson says: 'Shazzam'. Madrid just transforms. Yes, Liverpool are leakier than a sieve right now. However, it takes something to keep rescuing losing positions as Madrid does.

Incredible team.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The funny thing about Madrid's squad this year is that it is, probably, worse than it has been in recent seasons. At least based on ability. However, in the Champions League, Madrid just comes alive.
On paper it's worse in some aspects but in some others it's better.

It's worse because Modric, Benzema Kroos are X years older. Or because Casemiro left.

But it's better because some youngsters who had a more modest role improved greatly: Vinicius, Valverde, Rodrygo, Camavinga etc and they reinforced key positions with Rudiger and Tchouameni.

Before Vinicius irruption as elite player it was mostly Benzema leading the attack by himself. Imo the squad has more balance now.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I still think they'll win the league too despite being 8 points behind Barca.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still think they'll win the league too despite being 8 points behind Barca.
Nah, Barcelona aren't losing more than 7 points from here on out

Anyways, before last night this season was basically one giant holiday after the burn out of last season, and with the WC break. But now we're back, and we're coming for #15

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Loss again in the league. They're saving their energy for the CL, which they'll probably win.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Gambling everything on the Champions League is very dangerous. Playing a few games as a joke and pretending to change the dynamic of the game every three days.
Mendy is going to be missed. Camavinga has done very well there but it's a bit of a waste.
Tchouameni is another one since the World Cup. Dull games, trotting around the pitch but not showing any presence.
No wonder he's been benched.

Josh 76

Gambling everything on the Champions League is very dangerous. Playing a few games as a joke and pretending to change the dynamic of the game every three days.
Mendy is going to be missed. Camavinga has done very well there but it's a bit of a waste.
Tchouameni is another one since the World Cup. Dull games, trotting around the pitch but not showing any presence.
No wonder he's been benched.
Every club in the world would love to be in your position.

theballisround

Their best midfield in games where it matters is Kroos-Modric-Valverde.

All the other combinations where Touchameni and/or Camavinga play are way too inconsistent and they can't afford to play the old guard game after game.

Idxomer

People keep talking about how good their squad building is and they probably need 4 new starters and a new manager just to compete with Barca next season.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
People keep talking about how good their squad building is and they probably need 4 new starters and a new manager just to compete with Barca next season.
Perez does a lot of things right, but flawless he is not, unlike what many outside the club seem to think.

Amir

Perez does a lot of things right, but flawless he is not, unlike what many outside the club seem to think.
No one is. Every club will have periods and seasons like this. Every president will make bad decisions at times. It's about realising their errors, fixing them and finding the route to success again. And they've been doing that.