Real Madrid and Barcelona

RoyH1

You do not fund loans or stadium renvations with the ponctual sale of assets. In fact you do not borrow money or invest in infrastructure based on hypothetical one-off sales, you do it based on recurring revenue and Madrid have among the highest recurring revenues in the football world.
I'm close to giving up on discussing this point with people here anymore. The myth that Madrid is only what it is due to their training ground sale decades ago is stronger than that of Area 51 in UFO conspiracy circles. Even when they won the case in a European court of appeals (google). It's impossible to have a factual discussion on this when people just take one set of facts and use it as gospel.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm close to giving up on discussing this point with people here anymore. The myth that Madrid is only what it is due to their training ground sale decades ago is stronger than that of Area 51 in UFO conspiracy circles. Even when they won the case in a European court of appeals (google). It's impossible to have a factual discussion on this when people just take one set of facts and use it as gospel.
And most of the sale was done with private companies, the city of Madrid(not the spanish government) only bought a part of the field. But most crucially we are not even talking about hundreds of millions of overvaluation but 18m which was as you say, overturned by EU courts.

cyberman

EL Clasico managed by 2 managers who failed at Everton over the last 4 years.
Its a shocking fall in managerial calibre.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
EL Clasico managed by 2 managers who failed at Everton over the last 4 years.
Its a shocking fall in managerial calibre.
Barcelona rarely appoints highly rated managers, the last one was probably Van Gaal. For Madrid is often a mixed bag and Ancelotti fits the mould.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
This is a crazy amount to pay for Alaba’s wages. What was his wages in Bayern previously? I reckon no more than 200k per week?
something around 250k a week in his last years.

suheilsworld

Some very quick fire announcements by Barca. Love the way they are doing business
Aguero, Garcia and now Emerson from
Betis done with Wijnaldum and Memphis in the works with who knows how many more

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some very quick fire announcements by Barca. Love the way they are doing business
For Barcelona though they are pretty shit signings if we are being honest. Not at all players who will help them improve. If anything it's accepting a lower level with less scope for improvement in the future with their ages.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Was just coming on to post this. Really positive business from them and great getting it done early. I can only dream of United wrapping up a bunch of sensible signings (and free) at the start of the window.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
For Barcelona though they are pretty shit signings if we are being honest. Not at all players who will help them improve. If anything it's accepting a lower level with less scope for improvement in the future with their ages.
Agreed. Not exactly the quality we've come to expect.

sweeping up players from the car boot sale.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was just coming on to post this. Really positive business from them and great getting it done early. I can only dream of United wrapping up a bunch of sensible signings (and free) at the start of the window.
Good luck finding a balanced team with 34 year old Aguero, 34 year old Messi and 30 year old Griezmann in the front 3. Not to mention they all prefer to play centrally and do very little off the ball running at this point. Garcia is a mediocre centerback and Emerson is just a random squad player, Wijnaldum is going to their most loaded position and is turning 31. And then they'll go for Memphis who isn't good enough for Barcelona anyway, at least as a starter.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Emerson is good

Wijnaldum improves them. Aguero if he stays fit too

Garcia and Depay add depth if nothing else

They will most likely sell dembele, and will try to sell coutinho and griezmann as well. Pjanic and Busquets too if they can

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think Wijnaldum, Aguero and Garcia are all good players and would improve the United squad had we signed them. Getting them all on a free is great business, means they can focus their big-money signings on the specific areas/players they want, rather than needing to plug half a dozen gaps.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Emerson is good

Wijnaldum improves them. Aguero if he stays fit too

Garcia and Depay add depth if nothing else

They will most likely sell dembele, and will try to sell coutinho and griezmann as well. Pjanic and Busquets too if they can
Nah, Dembele will see the year out and then go on a free. He will make much more money that way.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Emerson, gini, garcia and depay are solid signings. Any club in the world would take them for free, even if it is to flip them for profit one year later.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm also reading that Laporte had agreed to keep Koeman on for a second year. Good for him

They're also bringing Jordi Cruyff in for a strategic role. Partly name-based I suppose, although apparently be has actually been good in those kinds of roles.

Ludens the Red

Emerson, gini, garcia and depay are solid signings. Any club in the world would take them for free, even if it is to flip them for profit one year later.
Haha. This is the type of shit you’d do in football manager. It’s more or less money laundering.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm also reading that Laporte had agreed to keep Koeman on for a second year. Good for him

They're also bringing Jordi Cruyff in for a strategic role. Partly name-based I suppose, although apparently be has actually been good in those kinds of roles.
Yeah i read he was doing good things at (Maccabi Tel Aviv iirc?) on here, years ago, but then sort of news on him just vanished. So I assume he's not done it at a much higher level since.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Barcelona wage and amortisation (presumably players they bought before) is more than their revenue:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/bar...financial-position-than-expected-joan-laporta

"We've encountered a squad with old-fashioned contracts and we will have to work out what to do. The existing contracts can be changed or restructured. After that, there are more drastic measures that we hope we don't have to adopt.

"But nothing's ruled out if it's for the good of the club. Between salaries and amortisations, it's about €650m [annually], which is more than the club's revenue. These salaries are out-of-step with the current market."
Despite the bullish talk in this article, they're totally screwed financially essentially. Other clubs have problems too, so can't see how they're planning to offload amount of players they need to. Let's see what the drastic measures are going to be.

Tallis

Revenue should bounce back with fans in the stadium and visiting the museum. They should really try to get rid of Griezmann, Coutinho, Pique, Dembele (or lose him for free), Umtiti, Pjanic. Additionally, can consider getting rid of some of Busquets, Alba and Roberto. That’s more than a €100m / season saved on salaries.

There is probably not many takers for these players on the salaries they are on. Maybe Griezmann can goto PSG and Coutinho can goto an Italian club.

SuperiorXI

They have to sell players pretty much. It's their own fault for being stupid with the contracts and fees they have paid. Even with ticket revenue, wouldn't they still be in deep shit?

Red_toad

Revenue should bounce back with fans in the stadium and visiting the museum. They should really try to get rid of Griezmann, Coutinho, Pique, Dembele (or lose him for free), Umtiti, Pjanic. Additionally, can consider getting rid of some of Busquets, Alba and Roberto. That’s more than a €100m / season saved on salaries.

There is probably not many takers for these players on the salaries they are on. Maybe Griezmann can goto PSG and Coutinho can goto an Italian club.
How on earth would they get rid of Griezmann? He's on near 600k GBP a week, no club would touch him, so he's there for another 3 years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Barcelona wage and amortisation (presumably players they bought before) is more than their revenue:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/bar...financial-position-than-expected-joan-laporta

Despite the bullish talk in this article, they're totally screwed financially essentially. Other clubs have problems too, so can't see how they're planning to offload amount of players they need to. Let's see what the drastic measures are going to be.
Excellent, the non-English club I dislike the most with their holier than thou attitude.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

And who exactly is taking on all these contracts?

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of unwanted players, tell them they are not going to be registered and that they can either leave or sit out their contracts in the stands. It's a nuclear option of sorts but I somehow cannot imagine Griezmann for example being willing to forfeit three years of his career Bale style just to remain on ~600K weekly. If the club itself is in danger of going under then ends might justify the means.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of unwanted players, tell them they are not going to be registered and that they can either leave or sit out their contracts in the stands. It's a nuclear option of sorts but I somehow cannot imagine Griezmann for example being willing to forfeit three years of his career Bale style just to remain on ~600K weekly. If the club itself is in danger of going under then ends might justify the means.
Yeah, I don't buy that. If Griezmann leaves at best he gets £150k a week. I cannot see him swallowing a £70m shortfall.

Yakuza_devils

"Barca have already signed Aguero, Eric Garcia and Memphis Depay on free transfers to strengthen coach Ronald Koeman's side, with right-back Emerson Royal also recalled from Real Betis.

"There will be three or four more signings," Laporta said, speaking before Depay was officially announced by the club. "We're building a really competitive team."

https://www.espn.com.sg/soccer/barc...financial-position-than-expected-joan-laporta

Financial problem? What financial problem? Already signed 4 players and Laporta committed to sign another 3 or 4 more players. They haven't even sell any player yet.

Hmm...

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Yeah, I don't buy that. If Griezmann leaves at best he gets £150k a week. I cannot see him swallowing a £70m shortfall.
With Wijnaldum being reported at 10M net yearly I think you're underselling him a bit. He didn't light the world on fire at Barcelona but he's still a very good and fairly marketable player.

Barnslig

"Barca have already signed Aguero, Eric Garcia and Memphis Depay on free transfers to strengthen coach Ronald Koeman's side, with right-back Emerson Royal also recalled from Real Betis.

"There will be three or four more signings," Laporta said, speaking before Depay was officially announced by the club. "We're building a really competitive team."

https://www.espn.com.sg/soccer/barc...financial-position-than-expected-joan-laporta

Financial problem? What financial problem? Already signed 4 players and Laporta committed to sign another 3 or 4 more players. They haven't even sell any player yet.

Hmm...
Either they have learned nothing by previous experiences, or they are hoping players leave before they have to start paying out on those new contracts. All of their signings so far has been free right? Maybe they've got the players to delay their signing-on bonuses or something?

Hulksmash

Real and Barcelona realised that they need the PL clubs to get out of debt. These debt ridden Clubs drive me mad

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
This thread will be funny when Floper signs Ninja Turtle for €180 M this summer.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
More info today:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/bar...educe-wage-bill-or-risk-lionel-messi-contract

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Barca had the largest cap in Spain's top flight in 2019-20 at €671 million.

However, La Liga's new limit for the 2020-21 season was €382.7m. The Catalan club were given some leeway in terms of reducing salaries, but it meant they were unable to register Memphis Depay despite agreeing on a fee with Lyon last September.

La Liga could technically prevent them from registering Messi's new contract or inscribing new signings this summer if they don't adhere to certain financial regulations.
Another €525m loan from GS added to keep them from going under, for now anyway. Don't remotely see how they'll reduce the wage bill by enough. Can you restructure via something similar to chapter 11 in Spain....?

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Does Tebas have any data to backup his claim? Based on Flopper's recent histrionics, I'd think there are quite a few other clubs who are better off financially than them in Europe.