Real Madrid become first team to retain the CL

Zlaatan

Parody Account
They deserved to be the ones who first defended the title tbf, not only because they deserved to win this year but because of their history in the CL as well. Winning it 12 times is just a rediculous record and it makes me a bit sad to see how far behind we are in terms of quality on the pitch.

Disagree. Single game, with the best XI, 2010/11 and 2014/15 barcelona were better than 2016/17 real madrid, slightly. But on the whole, over the course of a whole season, i think this team is on par with those barca teams

@Vato won't come out before August i think
I think this is a fair view, although I think that Barca XI were better than this Real XI by quite a big margin. Over a whole season though this Real side is scary good if you look at how much quality they have in every position, something Barca obviously lacked.
But that Barca side at their best could dominate any team on the planet and make them look like a bunch of scared little children all huddled up in their own box, which was just unbelievable to see. I feel that this Real side doesn't dominate their games as much, they are "just" the better team. The games swing back and forth a lot more and they give up a whole lot of quality chances.

All great teams lose at some point in the season. Barcelona were outstanding under Pep but still struggled to win away games in knockout rounds, pretty sure they won zero away games on route to their two CL's. This Madrid team blows teams out the water. Juventus, Bayern, Napoli (okay with some controversy) and Atletico were all dealt with comfortably.
Their away record in the knockout rounds were 2 wins (Real and Shakthar), 3 draws, and 1 loss.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
A really brilliant team too. They improved so much on last season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
With Pep/Tito's Barca they would completely dominate you. To a point where the only way it seemed possible to beat them is just forming a wall in front of the goal and try to hit them on the counter. With this Real side you will be able to outplay them for periods of the match they will just always find goals regardless.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not the greatest side but one of the very best of modern era. Greatest club in world football bar none.. United a mere footnote in comparison tbh.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Its annoying they had to be the first team to win the CL twice in a row. I still don't think they're at Guardiolas Barcelona level.

prtk0811

United a mere footnote in comparison tbh.
United were getting there until we sold our best player and stuck with fergie principles where we allowed Madrid to gain ground in transfer market.

New era with Jose and our spending power we can move on to newer principles of never weakening a team in transfer markets.

The sheer dominance of revenues distribution in la Liga for the big two had put them both in dominance in transfer front with our old school principles holding us back.

And the rivalry has benefited their game to go on a high level and with pep an Jose here in city and united it's our crossroad moment to take up mordern principles and take the game on even higher levels like never before.

Last edited:

Zii

messi failed in the best team to do it, ronaldo did

TsuWave

its hard not to be jealous tbh

as a club they have so many things going for them like location and weather plus shared language and cultural aspects with many south american countries, which enables them to attract the best players from locations who regularly produce the top players in world football. then they are also loaded, have several mouthpieces in the media and have immense prestige and exposure not only due to their achievements but because they have and have had some of the best players ever. Its very hard to compete with let alone to break that cycle.

El Jefe

Benzema gets a lot of criticism but his impact on this team is a lot IMO.

He's the perfect striker for this Madrid side. His all round game is fantastic its just a shame he's wasteful and happy to defer goal scoring responsibility to Ronaldo all the time.

For years we've heard about certain strikers being better than him but very few can be as effective or provide a greater benefit than he does for this side.

beckbeck

I wish UEFA would make La Liga share their money more fairly.

I'm sure Madrid would still find ways to spend 80 million on 12 year olds, but at least try to make it more fair. Also, their league is terrible to watch, no matter what anyone says. It would improve both Liga and UCL.

Giggs86

Just realised we have won 3 of the last 4 CL's. That is pretty fecking great tbh.
So casual :lol:

Not only that but two of those came against your city rivals, imagine we'd won 2 CL's on the trot against City :drool:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm just very glad we achieved this under Zidane, my favorite player when I was a kid so this achievement is only to make him an even more legendary figure for Real Madrid. Also the fashion in we won has been outstanding with us battering the likes of Atlético, Bayern Munich and Juventus and this should be considered a better Real Madrid team than the original Galacticos.

Giggs86

it's strange to think that Real Madrid were fairly average for much of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Although they finally won their sixth European Cup with a workmanlike side in the late 90s, their real reemergence can be traced right back to the day their signed their current manager as a player, a pure power play over a prestigious European rival that kick started the galatico era and established them as the side to play for.
Don't forget those years in recent history when they couldn't progress out of the first knock-out stage for 7-8 straight seasons, IIRC.

Giggs86

I'm just very glad we achieved this under Zidane, my favorite player when I was a kid so this achievement is only to make him an even more legendary figure for Real Madrid. Also the fashion in we won has been outstanding with us battering the likes of Atlético, Bayern Munich and Juventus and this should be considered a better Real Madrid team than the original Galacticos.
It sure is. The original Galacticos, as good as they were at times, always felt like a bunch of superstars that'd been brought in and stuck together based on name and reputation. The current Real team feels much more coherent, with a really good balance in the team.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It sure is. The original Galacticos, as good as they were at times, always felt like a bunch of superstars that'd been brought in and stuck together based on name and reputation. The current Real team feels much more coherent, with a really good balance in the team.
You're right this feels more like a balanced team and I think is thanks to Zidane integrating a bunch of our academy players into the team and stepping up when our starters weren't having a good game or were injured.

The first generation of galacticos were more appealing to me in terms of individual skill and how imposing they were (Ronaldo, Beckham, Figo, Zidane, etc.) but I think we lacked that type of union and identity we have now under Zidane.

ghagua

In a way, I am happy that Real Madrid won. They deserve to be rewarded for their good attacking football. None of that cowering defensive shite, but good attacking football.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thanks. I thought you hated him?! :lol:

He's doing a fantastic job so far. Improved us after an already great first season. He's going to get a stadium named after him, you'll see.
I don't need to love him tbh. If you can do a good job then I'm ready to put that aside, just like with Mourinho. A lot of people just cannot seperate their personnal feelings for someone and judging them fairly on their work.

VP

Not the greatest side but one of the very best of modern era. Greatest club in world football bar none.. United a mere footnote in comparison tbh.
United a mere footnote? Take this shite to a Madrid forum.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
United a mere footnote? Take this shite to a Madrid forum.
It is true though. They've matched our European cup haul in 4 years! That's unbelievable!

They have also won as many European cups as the 2nd and 3rd placed clubs added together!

They're leagues above everyone!

EDIT: Can also add in the same number as all the English clubs added together!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Benzema gets a lot of criticism but his impact on this team is a lot IMO.

He's the perfect striker for this Madrid side. His all round game is fantastic its just a shame he's wasteful and happy to defer goal scoring responsibility to Ronaldo all the time.

For years we've heard about certain strikers being better than him but very few can be as effective or provide a greater benefit than he does for this side.
It makes sense to they haven't replaced him after all this time. He is perfect for them like you said.

VP

It is true though. They've matched our European cup haul in 4 years! That's unbelievable!

They have also won as many European cups as the 2nd and 3rd placed clubs added together!

They're leagues above everyone!

EDIT: Can also add in the same number as all the English clubs added together!
European Cups are great but they're Cups at the end of the day. Where Juve have a cursed relationship with the tournament (losing 7/9 finals) this lot have got a charmed relationship (12/15 finals won)

But look behind their cup runs, you have a club that's just won three leagues in a decade and a fanbase full of transfer muppets who regularly boo their greatest ever player.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
European Cups are great but they're Cups at the end of the day. Where Juve have a cursed relationship with the tournament (losing 7/9 finals) this lot have got a charmed relationship (12/15 finals won)

But look behind their cup runs, you have a club that's just won three leagues in a decade and a fanbase full of transfer muppets who regularly boo their greatest ever player.
Don't get me wrong I hate their fans and the club in general but it's trophies that matter at the end of the day and they are streets ahead on that front.

MuFc_1992

It's ridiculous that United fans are feeling insecure about Real winning. They have always been far ahead of us in terms of European trophies so, does it really matter if it is 11-3 or 12-3. Even Barca and Bayern have just 5 European cups but that doesn't make them inferior clubs IMO. The target for us should be getting to the level of those teams and not shitting our pants if we are drawn against them in last 16 like Arsenal not matching Real Madrid's haul. Although, I must admit, I absolutely hate seeing Ronaldo become so successful after leaving us.

stevoc

Fair play they've done it, it's much harder to win the Champions League than it ever was the european cup hell of an achievement to be the first to retain it.

Sad thing is i don't see anyone catching their their 12 CL titles in the next 50 years if ever.

Eila

Amazing results they have gotten but I still don't find the football displayed by this team too amazing. I think turn of the decade Barca was a much better team.

jungledrums

Best team in Europe this season clearly but ...

Madrid have won 1 league title in those 4 seasons, were about 30 seconds from not winning the CL in 2014 and won the 2016 one on penalties. They could easily be on 1 title and 1 CL in that time. Such fine margins and they've got the breaks at the right times in this competition. They are not on the same level as the Barcelona team, not even close IMO.
Embarrassing excuses.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Us, Barcelona, Liverpool. Bigger in the sense of fandom, not attractiveness nor prestige.
This is nonsense. The biggest club refers to the size of a club. That's the number of members, nothing else.

There's no way to measure the number of fans objectively, which is why UEFA have refrained from including this point from the Champions League access regulations.

Miscemayl

Not a fan of RM but congrats to them for being the first to do it.

This final wasn't even close.

Congrats to Ronaldo and Zidane (who is smashing all expectations).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's ridiculous that United fans are feeling insecure about Real winning. They have always been far ahead of us in terms of European trophies so, does it really matter if it is 11-3 or 12-3. Even Barca and Bayern have just 5 European cups but that doesn't make them inferior clubs IMO. The target for us should be getting to the level of those teams and not shitting our pants if we are drawn against them in last 16 like Arsenal not matching Real Madrid's haul. Although, I must admit, I absolutely hate seeing Ronaldo become so successful after leaving us.
The European Cup is the gold standard of club football. Those telling themselves different are activating a coping mechanism and living in denial. There isn't a giant club who consider themselves peers with Real not sitting a bit more uncomfortably after they've stretched the gap to what looks like embarrassing levels and have now gone on to be the first club to win this iteration back-to-back.

Questions will be asked all over Europe and the summer window will be that bit more important and aggressive for competing clubs off the back of what happened last night.

Domestic leagues and battles are something different, but Europe has, and always will be the proving ground where these domestically dominant clubs have to show they are on par with other clubs who are doing the same things domestically as each other.

Manchester United's concern isn't really Madrid, though, our first challenge is to get to 5, for more reasons than just matching Liverpool.

MuFc_1992

The European Cup is the gold standard of club football. Those telling themselves different are activating a coping mechanism and living in denial. There isn't a giant club who consider themselves peers with Real not sitting a bit more uncomfortably after they've stretched the gap to what looks like embarrassing levels and have now gone on to be the first club to win this iteration back-to-back.

Questions will be asked all over Europe and the summer window will be that bit more important and aggressive for competing clubs off the back of what happened last night.

Domestic leagues and battles are something different, but Europe has, and always will be the proving ground where these domestically dominant clubs have to show they are on par with other clubs who are doing the same things domestically as each other.

Manchester United's concern isn't really Madrid, though, our first challenge is to get to 5, for more reasons than just matching Liverpool.
Of course it is the gold standard but what I meant was we are so far behind the clubs like Real, Barca and Bayern in terms of just competing for the damn thing so, it's ridiculous that we're feeling insecure about Real winning. It's basically like West Ham fans feeling insecure about our 20 titles at the moment. If we get to the position where we are getting to the semi finals regularly than we should be upset if Real keep widening the gap. The reason I mentioned Barca, Bayern etc. is because to me it feels like we're just as far behind them.

POF

Delighted for Ronaldo. It's great to see a top class player producing on the big stage.

It's a term that is thrown around too easily but he is a genuine world class player. £80m was an absolute steal.

Needham

Specially pleased for Ramos, he represents everything that's good about the game.

iHicksy

Specially pleased for Ramos, he represents everything that's good about the game.
It's about time someone mentioned it. He;s really a shining beacon of everything that's right in the game. His sportsmanship and humble attitude make him an ideal captain. His work as a Val Kilmer lookalike raising thousands of pounds for chairty doesn't get enough media attention either.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
A cut above the rest, really - the Yankees of football - and to be fair, it's always been that way with the rest of the pack chasing their shadows with Milan coming close in the mid 2000s, but this was further confirmation of their peerless stature in the club game. And even in terms of consistency - they've produced so many great teams over the years - the obvious one with Di Stéfano, Puskás, Kopa, Gento that conquered everything in sight, the Yé-yé team that dominated Spanish football, La Quinta del Buitre in the '80s - the predecessors to the Class of '92, the one from the mid 90s to very early 2000s with Raúl and Redondo and Hierro before the Galácticos project came crashing down, Mourinho and Ancelotti's teams and now this.

15 final appearances - almost as many as Ajax and United and Internazionale combined, 12 final wins - as many as second placed Milan and third placed Bayern combined, 33 La Liga titles - only 1 fewer than Barcelona and Atlético combined. Staggering stuff - their European Cup tally seemed insurmountable in the 20th century - and after the last 4 years, that trend might continue in the current century, too - well, maybe not the entire century, but based on relative probabilities, it's hard to envisage anyone surpassing them in the next 50 years at the very least. And given their squad depth and resolve and organization, you wouldn't bet against Madrid winning next year's competition, either - easier said than done, but they've bucked the trend once already.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And I have to say they were definitely the best side in Europe this season. They were not in their last few wins.