Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

gaucho_10

And there was me thinking sarcasm was self evident.
Sorry, it was evident. I should have phrased my comment differently.

We often get stick here for the way Bernabeu treats the players and I just wanted to point out the difference in attitude. I just did a really shitty job.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
My problem is that I don't understand the policy of signings this summer and I find it hard to understand that there is so much improvisation.
Do not they sign because there is no market value? and they are not willing to pay more if they do not have the best, or Florentino wants to save for the stadium, or perhaps the bet on the young is total, and not a simulation.
If that is the case It sounds great,
I imagine a very dynamic attack, with constant changes of position and enough rotations, Asensio, Vinicius, Isco, Bale, Hazard?,Benzema,new #9...
The problem is that it entails several risks.Bale without injuries, Asensio really taking a step forward and not that dark version of last autumn,Ceballos/Llorente being decent Modric/Casemiro substitutes or Vinicius being a crack from the first day without loans or adaptation to Europe.

Today El País writes an article saying that since 2013 Madrid have spent 330 million for 22 players between 16 and 23 years old.
https://elpais.com/deportes/2018/07/26/actualidad/1532605005_049590.html
Assuming that there is a policy of young people I do not understand (although I like it) that the first option is Hazard, and for 150 million, when they complain that there is no market value, and clashing frontally with the minutes of Vinicius and Asensio.
Rodrigo, another name that is repeated a lot in the press seems very expensive and not so exciting

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
My problem is that I don't understand the policy of signings this summer and I find it hard to understand that there is so much improvisation.
Do not they sign because there is no market value? and they are not willing to pay more if they do not have the best, or Florentino wants to save for the stadium, or perhaps the bet on the young is total, and not a simulation.
If that is the case It sounds great,
I imagine a very dynamic attack, with constant changes of position and enough rotations, Asensio, Vinicius, Isco, Bale, Hazard?,Benzema,new #9...
The problem is that it entails several risks.Bale without injuries, Asensio really taking a step forward and not that dark version of last autumn,Ceballos/Llorente being decent Modric/Casemiro substitutes or Vinicius being a crack from the first day without loans or adaptation to Europe.

Today El País writes an article saying that since 2013 Madrid have spent 330 million for 22 players between 16 and 23 years old.
https://elpais.com/deportes/2018/07/26/actualidad/1532605005_049590.html
Assuming that there is a policy of young people I do not understand (although I like it) that the first option is Hazard, and for 150 million, when they complain that there is no market value, and clashing frontally with the minutes of Vinicius and Asensio.
Rodrigo, another name that is repeated a lot in the press seems very expensive and not so exciting
Let's be honest, Ronaldo is irreplaceable....but you should at least buy SOMEONE. Replacing Ronnie with a hazard/Lewa....ok you'd lose something, but could still be ok. Replace him with nobody, you're gonna be way way weaker

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
So you're saying Ronaldo was holding them back in the league?
Yes, their best player was holding them back...

They’ve won 4 CLs in 5 years and with Ronaldo leaving it’s unlikely they’ll do it again. They’re going to be a lot more motivated to win the league next season than they usually are while it’s going to be the opposite for Barcelona who have to go all out for a CL win even if it means risking the league.

I don’t think their 8 year streak of reaching the CL semis will continue but I expect them to fight for the league until the end regardless of what the squad actually looks like at the end of the summer.

Last edited:

SoCross

What odds on Benzema being the league’s top goal scorer? I see him stepping up a notch.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
No, they don't. The european domination is most likely over but they'll improve in the league regardless of what happens during the summer. If they manage things well they're starting the season as favourites to win the league.

Barcelona lost Neymar and signed Paulinho, loads of people said they were doomed and then walked to the title. Motivation will play a big part and this team will be very motivated to win the league after finishing miles behind last season and having a new manager in charge.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/spain/la-liga-primera

Barca 4/5 odds On to win the league
Real 6/4 against

Tell me again who the favourites are

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/spain/la-liga-primera

Barca 4/5 odds On to win the league
Real 6/4 against

Tell me again who the favourites are
If they manage things well. Not buying anyone is most definitely not doing that.

Motivation in the league will be the opposite of last season which is the most important thing for a squad like that. It’s the opposite for Barcelona who need a CL title more than ever after the past 3 years, that’s why I think Madrid will either win the league or come close to it regardless of who they buy.

Johnny Love

I dont see it that way. They have strong midfield and with a good signing up front they will be good once again. I also think they will have a much better start this season in Liga..they can't possibly start off worse that last season lol.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
The OP had a mare there:houllier:

Real Madrid next season

Courtois
Carvajal Varane Ramos Marcelo
Casemiro
Modric Kroos
Isco
Bale Benzema

With players like Navas, Odriozola, Nacho, Kovacic, Asensio, Ceballos, Vazquez on the bench.

Still twice as good as Man Utd, yet it is gonna be a terrible next season:lol:

RoyH1

Well, I suppose that they could go trophyless which by their ridiculously high standards would be a terrible thing and heads would roll.

But even without Ronaldo, they have a great, deep squad. A lot will depend on Lopetegui and how he gets the team to gel. If they do gel and bring in a quality veteran striker they'll be as dangerous as ever and the team I'd least like to face in a knockout tie in the CL.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
All Madrid need to do i add a WC striker. They already have the midfield and the wingers to do the damage. You add an Icardi, Cavani or Lewandoski strikers that can score 40+ and Ronoldo's 50+ goal look to be replaced, then you will see a more important team game that an individual game with Asensio and Isco being given more important role and both can score goals as well.

I predict Madrid to challenge for the league and make UCL Semi's.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The OP had a mare there:houllier:

Real Madrid next season

Courtois
Carvajal Varane Ramos Marcelo
Casemiro
Modric Kroos
Isco
Bale Benzema

With players like Navas, Odriozola, Nacho, Kovacic, Asensio, Ceballos, Vazquez on the bench.

Still twice as good as Man Utd, yet it is gonna be a terrible next season:lol:
Why is United relevant here?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What about Barcelona? Messi is going to drop a few gears next season seeing as he doesn't have to keep up with Ronaldo anymore.
Messi scored 8 more goals and got 7 more assists in La Liga last season. Messi won the Spanish golden boot. Hardly keeping up is it. It anything it is the other way round.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, i'm ok with trusting our youth this season. Asensio, Isco, Vinicius, Odegaard, Ceballos, Llorente, Odriozola, Kovacic...if they step it up and prove capable of leading a new great cycle of trophies, i'd be ok with winning nothing this season

Besides, i'd rather invest €600m on Mbappé next season than €350m on Hazard now...

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Maybe not terrible (by terrible I think of being eliminated in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and ending 4th in la Liga, for example); but I predict it will be a trophyless season for them (other than maybe the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup - Atlético won't be easy - and probably the FIFA Club World Cup this 2018).

The loss of Zidane and CR will be felt.

SambaBoy

I think Ceballos, Asenjo and Vincinus Jr will get minutes next season and all 3 are really talented youngsters so if they fill their potential they should be fine. Also the window isn't shut yet, I can see them going out there and spending to fill gaps in their squad. Already talk of Courtois being close to completion.

Plus I think Lopetegui will put more faith in Bale than Zidane did, and a *fit* and firing Bale is a world class player.

Winrar

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they will exit out of the UCL early, maybe in r16 or even group stages. Most of the squad probably doesn't have enough hunger for the trophy anymore since they won it a few times already. More importantly the player that made the key difference in Madrid's UCL successes is not there any more.

However rest of the squad is still full of world class players that can help them win the league. I have them as slight favorites if they focus their attention on the league.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
The only thing I (and every madridista) ask for is a 9. I think everybody else is going to step up (at least the youngsters, who knows how much left is in guys like Modric or Ramos...)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hard (impossible in reality) to trust the Spanish press but, apparently, they also target Cavani

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Meh, i'm ok with trusting our youth this season. Asensio, Isco, Vinicius, Odegaard, Ceballos, Llorente, Odriozola, Kovacic...if they step it up and prove capable of leading a new great cycle of trophies, i'd be ok with winning nothing this season

Besides, i'd rather invest €600m on Mbappé next season than €350m on Hazard now...
If even half of those young players deliver on their potential, you'll still have a hell of a team. Anyone would miss one of the greatest players ever though.

Cloud7

They’re more likely to win the CL again than to have a terrible season IMO.

Javi

What odds on Benzema being the league’s top goal scorer? I see him stepping up a notch.
Probably terrible. It‘s true that he helped Ronaldo and Bale a lot but it‘s not because of him having no chances that he scored five goals or so. His finishing was awful really.

SoCross

Curious decision to make a move for Courtois...I always thought Navas was performing at a high standard for them.

Eddy_JukeZ

Curious decision to make a move for Courtois...I always thought Navas was performing at a high standard for them.
He's not 'galactico' enough for them. But he has been good for them. Courtois is a better keeper though to be fair.

There was a report(not sure how valid) that Perez and Zidane feuded over Navas. Perez still wanting to bring in De Gea, while Zidane wanted to keep Navas and push for Hazard. They came to a blow and Zidane decided to step down then. But not sure how valid that is, and I forgot who the reporter of the article was.

Trizy

So who are they signing? All I see is half arsed attempts by news papers to link them with a few people. Signing a GK won't improve them much, Navas has been great for them. What will Courtois really be worth to them a season, 3-4 points? The gap is much better than that.

Like the OP says, I think Madrid are fecked. Hope Modric leaves to Inter too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I suspect that they will have a better season then us

Bradley Leach

Madrid Could be in trouble, they have an aging side mixed with some relatively inexperienced youngsters; Modric is nearing 33, Ramos is 32, Marcelo is 30. Bale is injury prone, Carvajal is injury prone.

I don't really rate Benzema, I think anyone could do what he does in Madrid, so I don't see where they're going to replace Ronaldo's 50 goals a season, because if they're expecting Vinicius to do it then they are fecked.

They will be fine in the Champions league because they will draw one difficult team and then 2 minnows because they're that lucky; But la Liga is different, where they were battering teams 4-0 and what not, they wont have the presence and threat of Ronaldo anymore and they can't replace him. If they go on a run of losing 2/3 games or drawing 4/5 games then that leave a big point gap to fill.

Teams will no longer be scared of them because the threat of Ronaldo is gone, they can be more open and attacking without the risk of counter attacks, Bale wont last all season and Benzema is unreliable at the best of times. they could seriously struggle to the point where I'm Predicting that Barca win the league comfortably, Atletico finish second, Sevilla finish third and then Real Fight it out with Valencia for 4th place; I have the slightest feeling that Real could finish outside of the champions league places.

Can you imagine the outcry from Real fans when they don't get champions league football after 3 consecutive wins, they were crap before Ronaldo, they'll be crap without him now. The amount of players that will either leave because of no champions league football or refuse to join for the same reason, the same way we got rejected when we won the Europa league. Then United come in with a cheeky £60m bid for bale and Varane each because we can offer what real cant.

I get this is all hypothetical but I would love for those lying, cheating, stealing, Tax-evading, Player-tapping, Government-funded, Corrupt Feckers to suffer. I want them to be the next Liverpool and live off their own history forever.

NoLogo

Still think their squad is in an okay place but yeah they aren't at the same level they were over the last 3-4 seasons, last season already showed a decline and now their goal guarantee in Ronaldo is gone as well.

But I feel they have a couple of younger players ready to step up and maybe now that the old guard is slowly drifting off it's the right time for them to show what they are made of. They won't have a terrible season but also won't be able to compete with Barca for the title, will probably finish third again, admittedly that's a shitty season in the eyes of their fans I reckon.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Real has different standards. Not wining the title or Champions Lague is what they consider a nightmare season.

worldinmotion66

They have always geared their tactics to get the best out of Ronaldo, and it's probably limited some of their attacking players a bit. I'm expecting to see improvements from Bale, Isco, Asensio and Vasquez this season, and Benzema too if he's still there.

Modric won't leave, and the core of the side is strong and experienced. Ramos is still the same player whereas Pique looks like he is declining. If I were to bet, I'd say Real will invest further and will win the league this year.

RoyH1

Their lack of activity on the transfer market is rather odd. Partly explainable by the stadium refurbushing but I'm starting to think that there's something in the rumours of Perez being all in for Neymar or Mbappé in 2019.

I think while they will most probably not win the CL this year (it's between City and Juventus imo), they will probably have a better season in La Liga. Lopetegui will have them much more ready against the likes of Getafe and Betis than Zidane did. The latter is probably one of the greatest big game managers of our time, but didn't give his team the regularity it should have with that squad.

MadMike

In my humble opinion they should have looked to offload Benzema and bring a striker in the moment Zidane quit. He was a good foil for Ronaldo and loved by Zidane but with the former gone they need to replace his goals and Bale/Asensio won’t be able to do it alone. Benzema only scored 12 in all comps playing for Real on a season they won the CL again. That’s extremely poor. They need to get a striker that can at the very least double that tally if not hit 30+ goals.

The rest of the team is very strong in defence and midfield and it looks like they’re getting Courtois so they’ll be sorted in goal for years too. They just need to splash out on a good striker and maybe a backup striker from the Spanish league. They certainly have the funds.

EDIT: Forgot they signed Vinicius. If he can be the backup striker for 2-3 seasons till he steps up, they only need a main striker for that long. Like a Lewa.

Mercurial

In my humble opinion they should have looked to offload Benzema and bring a striker in the moment Zidane quit. He was a good foil for Ronaldo and loved by Zidane but with the former gone they need to replace his goals and Bale/Asensio won’t be able to do it alone. Benzema only scored 12 in all comps playing for Real on a season they won the CL again. That’s extremely poor. They need to get a striker that can at the very least double that tally if not hit 30+ goals.

The rest of the team is very strong in defence and midfield and it looks like they’re getting Courtois so they’ll be sorted in goal for years too. They just need to splash out on a good striker and maybe a backup striker from the Spanish league. They certainly have the funds.

EDIT: Forgot they signed Vinicius. If he can be the backup striker for 2-3 seasons till he steps up, they only need a main striker for that long. Like a Lewa.
I see him as an enabler for Ronnie, he has more goals in him I do believe in different setups.