Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Regardless of what anyone says and how many CL he won the BEST Madrid team in the past 10 Years was Mourinho's Madrid. Period. They were unlucky to be playing against the greatest club side potentially ever in their peak. Not to discredit Zidane and Ancelotti but they limped their way to those CL wins and don't get me wrong winning is winning but still. Personally I don't think Zidane is even a top 5 coach in the world right now despite his resume making a case for it. In 2012 that was the best Madrid have played in a VERY long time they were electric on the counter and broke records and didn't win the CL because the stars aligned that way.

Carlo and Zidanes Madrid would get played off the park by Mourinhos Madrid side. Not even a question imo.
Partially disagree. The 11/12 side was our best in the league, for sure. But also, competed in an overall weaker league. We got 96 points just two seasons before with Pellegrini on the bench and a weaker team overall...

And that team simply didn't face enough great opponents to really judge. I mean, we played barcelona 6 times and only beat them once, but were actually competitive, not in a park the bus and hope to nick it way, but actually played them mostly even in all but one game, and outright outplayed them in the one game we won. And it was still that barcelona, even at the end of Guardiola's era. In single games they were still one of the best sides ever. But other than Barcelona, the only other great side we faced was Bayern, and they were better than us. Clearly so. Now, *I* blame Mourinho for that. Still, that's how the games went.

With Ancelotti on the other hand we smashed Bayern, got through Dortmund, and beat Atletico in the final. We played barcelona off the park in the CdR final, and were outright robbed by Undiano in the incredible 3-4 league game. And the following season we smashed them at home, beat Atletico in CL, and lost an even, competitive semifinal against juventus, all while being crippled by injuries for half the season. The few magic weeks before Modric's injury we looked downright untouchable. Best I've ever seen us play at least since 02/03, and it's not even close. What was it, 23 consecutive wins in all competitions or something...

I think Ancelotti's 14/15 side at its best was our best side ever. Too bad it wasn't meant to last

As for Zidane, yeah, we did kind of limp in two CL, but the 16/17 season was incredible. I don't know that the 11/12 side was better honestly. That side was also stupidly deep.

Mourinho's two great sides were more regular but had a lower ceiling

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Partially disagree. The 11/12 side was our best in the league, for sure. But also, competed in an overall weaker league. We got 96 points just two seasons before with Pellegrini on the bench and a weaker team overall...

And that team simply didn't face enough great opponents to really judge. I mean, we played barcelona 6 times and only beat them once, but were actually competitive, not in a park the bus and hope to nick it way, but actually played them mostly even in all but one game, and outright outplayed them in the one game we won. And it was still that barcelona, even at the end of Guardiola's era. In single games they were still one of the best sides ever. But other than Barcelona, the only other great side we faced was Bayern, and they were better than us. Clearly so. Now, *I* blame Mourinho for that. Still, that's how the games went.

With Ancelotti on the other hand we smashed Bayern, got through Dortmund, and beat Atletico in the final. We played barcelona off the park in the CdR final, and were outright robbed by Undiano in the incredible 3-4 league game. And the following season we smashed them at home, beat Atletico in CL, and lost an even, competitive semifinal against juventus, all while being crippled by injuries for half the season. The few magic weeks before Modric's injury we looked downright untouchable. Best I've ever seen us play at least since 02/03, and it's not even close. What was it, 23 consecutive wins in all competitions or something...

I think Ancelotti's 14/15 side at its best was our best side ever. Too bad it wasn't meant to last

As for Zidane, yeah, we did kind of limp in two CL, but the 16/17 season was incredible. I don't know that the 11/12 side was better honestly. That side was also stupidly deep.

Mourinho's two great sides were more regular but had a lower ceiling
Smashed a weaker Bayern then the one from the season before as well as a weaker Dortmund side. Atlético fair play BUT they were saved in the 94th minute or would have lost it ( like I said the luck was swinging their way) by the time extra time came along Atlético were already mentally defeated before it even started it was a major punch to the stomach coming thst close to winning it.

Also Mourinho won the CDR in his first season as well. Against the best Barcelona team probably ever ( the 2010-2011 one). His second season he absolutely blew them and everyone else out the water and as I said deserved to beat Bayern in 2012 but we all know how Germans are in penalties.

One thing I do agree is andelotti’s Madrid was better then Zidanes but once again I don’t rate zidanes Managerial skills too much I just think he was blessed to have the best team in the world arguably.

Like I said I think Mourinhos 2011-12 side bests any Madrid side in the past 10 years sometimes you need some luck to win those big competitions ( Chelsea for example had an insane amount of luck the whole 2012 tournament they won it without being even in the top 5 sides in the world) and Mourinho didn’t have it in 2 of his 3 semi finals he played in Madrid. The only one he was throughly out played in was 2010-2011 vs Barcelona where it wasn’t even close. Had he Made it to the final well we all know how good Mourinho is in one off games especially finals.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Smashed a weaker Bayern then the one from the season before as well as a weaker Dortmund side. Atlético fair play BUT they were saved in the 94th minute or would have lost it ( like I said the luck was swinging their way) by the time extra time came along Atlético were already mentally defeated before it even started it was a major punch to the stomach coming thst close to winning it.

Also Mourinho won the CDR in his first season as well. Against the best Barcelona team probably ever ( the 2010-2011 one). His second season he absolutely blew them and everyone else out the water and as I said deserved to beat Bayern in 2012 but we all know how Germans are in penalties.

One thing I do agree is andelotti’s Madrid was better then Zidanes but once again I don’t rate zidanes Managerial skills too much I just think he was blessed to have the best team in the world arguably.

Like I said I think Mourinhos 2011-12 side bests any Madrid side in the past 10 years sometimes you need some luck to win those big competitions ( Chelsea for example had an insane amount of luck the whole 2012 tournament they won it without being even in the top 5 sides in the world) and Mourinho didn’t have it in 2 of his 3 semi finals he played in Madrid. The only one he was throughly out played in was 2010-2011 vs Barcelona where it wasn’t even close. Had he Made it to the final well we all know how good Mourinho is in one off games especially finals.
I wonder if Zidane knew Ronaldo was eyeing the exit sign and couldn't be arsed with the shit he'd get from the inevitable fallout.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe, but we did beat them, and deservedly so

Also Mourinho won the CDR in his first season as well. Against the best Barcelona team probably ever ( the 2010-2011 one).
Yes, and we did it by playing football! Which made Mourinho's decision to NOT play football at the bernabeu in CL all the more jarring...

His second season he absolutely blew them and everyone else out the water and as I said deserved to beat Bayern in 2012 but we all know how Germans are in penalties.
We did not deserve to beat Bayern. In fact, we did not even deserve to get to penalties. Bayern were better than us at home and dominated most of the second leg, in Spain.

Like I said I think Mourinhos 2011-12 side bests any Madrid side in the past 10 years
To the league? Yes. Single game? Nope

sometimes you need some luck to win those big competitions ( Chelsea for example had an insane amount of luck the whole 2012 tournament they won it without being even in the top 5 sides in the world) and Mourinho didn’t have it in 2 of his 3 semi finals he played in Madrid. The only one he was throughly out played in was 2010-2011 vs Barcelona where it wasn’t even close. Had he Made it to the final well we all know how good Mourinho is in one off games especially finals.
Mourinho did nothing to "help" luck along. That's part of why we never had it. We weren't outclassed by barcelona, we outright refused to play. Mourinho, by his own admission, set up the team to play for 0-0, at home. Then we were actually competitive in the second leg, trying to play football. Then against bayern a year later, when the chips were down it was more of the same. Year three was just broken. Players didn't care about him anymore. Dortmund spanked us, Galatasaray nearly did the same in QF, and we only got there in the first place thanks to Cakir...

SportingCP96

Supports
I wonder if Zidane knew Ronaldo was eyeing the exit sign and couldn't be arsed with the shit he'd get from the inevitable fallout.
Could be possible I mean Madrid were horrid in La Liga last season with Ronaldo imagine how much worse it would be without. Like I said don’t rate him too much. Granted he won 3 CL gotta get some respect for it but di mateo won a CL As well and he is arse. Maybe a bad example but you know what I mean :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Maybe, but we did beat them, and deservedly so

Yes, and we did it by playing football! Which made Mourinho's decision to NOT play football at the bernabeu in CL all the more jarring...

We did not deserve to beat Bayern. In fact, we did not even deserve to get to penalties. Bayern were better than us at home and dominated most of the second leg, in Spain.

To the league? Yes. Single game? Nope

Mourinho did nothing to "help" luck along. That's part of why we never had it. We weren't outclassed by barcelona, we outright refused to play. Mourinho, by his own admission, set up the team to play for 0-0, at home. Then we were actually competitive in the second leg, trying to play football. Then against bayern a year later, when the chips were down it was more of the same. Year three was just broken. Players didn't care about him anymore. Dortmund spanked us, Galatasaray nearly did the same in QF, and we only got there in the first place thanks to Cakir...
I mean I agree with some of what your saying but just not everything. His second year like I said beats anyone of carlito or Zidanes teams and ima stick to that. As for his 3rd year at Madrid I agree he lost the team and he was ran out of Madrid.

Still I thought he was great at Madrid but truth be told he has not been the same ever since he left. United fans won’t agree at all right now But I have no doubt Mourinho is still a top quality manger his ability and talent as a coach can not be questioned BUT I think it’s a situation where he needs a club he feels loved in and has the backing off all the fans. His next club is very important he has won trophies everywhere he has gone and I think it didn’t quite workout for him at United ( granted I never thought it would ). I hope to see him bounce back he is still young ( from a coaches point of view).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean I agree with some of what your saying but just not everything. His second year like I said beats anyone of carlito or Zidanes teams and ima stick to that. As for his 3rd year at Madrid I agree he lost the team and he was ran out of Madrid.
Yes for consistency, no for top level of performance

Still I thought he was great at Madrid but truth be told he has not been the same ever since he left. United fans won’t agree at all right now But I have no doubt Mourinho is still a top quality manger his ability and talent as a coach can not be questioned BUT I think it’s a situation where he needs a club he feels loved in and has the backing off all the fans. His next club is very important he has won trophies everywhere he has gone and I think it didn’t quite workout for him at United ( granted I never thought it would ). I hope to see him bounce back he is still young ( from a coaches point of view).
Agree with every word. I think Mourinho needs an underdog club to succeed, one where he isn't just backed in terms of decisions but also his methods are backed. The only reason his spell with us worked instead of being a disaster from the go was because the circumstances were right: Barcelona dominating europe, us going out in R16 in CL for 6 years...we desperate at the time and so the club as a whole could buy into his methods, from the president to the players to the fans. Once he "fixed" us, the "normal" expectations of real madrid came back and suddenly he was clearly a bad fit

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Laughable. Mourinho's Madrid would not stand a chance against Zidane's Madrid.. Why!? Because Mourinho will simply park the fecking bus hoping for a lucky counter attack while Zidane will do everything to win and be thats why proactive - in game changes and of the way they play.. For me 2016-2017 Real side was the best since Del Bosque days..

SportingCP96

Supports
Laughable. Mourinho's Madrid would not stand a chance against Zidane's Madrid.. Why!? Because Mourinho will simply park the fecking bus hoping for a lucky counter attack while Zidane will do everything to win and be thats why proactive - in game changes and of the way they play.. For me 2016-2017 Real side was the best since Del Bosque days..
Zidane has no tactical prowess and that’s why he would lose. His Madrid were a well oiled machine for 2 seasons. Zidane was more based on individual quality and the ability of a world class team.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
More experienced players tend to be better and I also think both Ancelotti and Zidane had much better midfielders than Mourinho did, while all of them had very scary strikers.

Mourinho counted on Alonso (world class) and Khedira most of time. Ancelotti got the best of Modric and Alonso the season after alongside a dynamic Di Maria. Ancelotti and Zidane also benefited from Kroos, Casemiro,Isco and James, and enjoyed a better version of Marcelo whose play is very related to creativity in midfield. It's true that Mourinho had Özil in the squad, but imo he was very inconsistent vs great rivals.

Also the level I saw in some of the games in CL under Ancelotti and Zidane vs big teams was unmateched by Mourinho's side, which still was very good nonetheless.

In spite of all Mourinho's work is very related to the success that came afterwards, so in some way the teams Ancelotti and Zidane partly belong to Mourinho anyway.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane has no tactical prowess and that’s why he would lose.
What??? The same Zidane who repeatedly outcoached some of the highest rated managers in world??? Zidane maybe wasn't great in terms of broad tactics, but his big game management was top notch. The best i've ever seen of a real madrid manager

PepG

Supports
Ajax
What??? The same Zidane who repeatedly outcoached some of the highest rated managers in world??? Zidane maybe wasn't great in terms of broad tactics, but his big game management was top notch. The best i've ever seen of a real madrid manager
Exactly...I still remember the ease with wich Real totally outplayed Juventus in the second half of the CL final in 2017. And that was after 1:1 result from the first half and Juve going on a high into the second! Zidane's tactical changes at the halftime were crucial for the win..For me personally Zizou is already a great coach..Scary thing is he still can improve more and become really one of the greatest:

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Zidane was fantastic at in game management because the options and adaptability of the players he had were incredible too, he won't have that at most other clubs.

There's something obviously lacking when it comes to tactical preparation but there's an aura around him that's invaluable. He's smart enough to know his own limitations so I'm confident he'll only pick a job that suits him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane was fantastic at in game management because the options and adaptability of the players he had were incredible too, he won't have that at most other clubs.
Maybe so, but that doesn't take anything away. I agree his tactical preparation on the training ground is a bit lacking, but his in game management and adjustments were almost always flawless. Only manager i would compare in that regard is Allegri

Mick321

Their great CL run is over unless they do some amazing business in January. Obviously their attitude will be different when the knockouts start but they are old, slow and don't have a lot of fire power now Ronaldo has gone.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It's a meaningless game but this is pathetic, no pride or respect to the fans that payed money to go watch them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently Isco called "hijos de puta" to a few fans. It's nothing special but seems to complicate his situation (especially with the press)
Inda said he apologized to Solari in front of the teammates.
Surely there will be rumors about City in this next market. Personally I think they will not sell him, and I do not think he wants to leave.
However, the Brahim transfer seems done. Now for about ten million, or in June.
If he signs, maybe it´s to get rid of Isco in the medium term, in addition to James, who also wants to return.

According to Marca Palacios is signed, but we must decide whether he comes now or in June, as Rodrygo.
Although they sign a top player, I think the Madrid of the future is that. Be patient and hope that Valverde, Vinicius, Ceballos are as good as they are supposed to be.
I'm not sure which top player would be indicated for the winter market, although my priority would be a CB and a forward.
I would try to sell Bale now.
About the Champions, pessimistic, the sensations are not good, with or without the starters.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Valverde didn't do much at Depor so wouldn't be getting your hopes massively high for him.

Ceballos only made 24 appearences since signing in 2017 so has stagnated a little although of course central midfield very hard to break into, would say a loan in January would be sensible.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Valverde didn't do much at Depor so wouldn't be getting your hopes massively high for him.

Ceballos only made 24 appearences since signing in 2017 so has stagnated a little although of course central midfield very hard to break into, would say a loan in January would be sensible.
Ceballos can not leave now, it would be the end of his career at Madrid. Actually, this season he is one of my favorites. He has improved a lot physically and has personality and bravery in front of the press. I think he wants to be everywhere and sometimes he subtracts instead of adding, but he will improve it. With Valverde I also have high hopes. I think he will be very important in the future. It is true that in Deportivo he did not stand out but it was a very tough situation for such a young boy. A team totally lost and Pepe Mel who did not use him or did it out of his position.

Call Woodbrain. He'll pay well over the odds for him.
That´s my big hope :)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Does Llorente have much chance anymore? I remember he had a wonderful season two years at Alaves but since been lost in the Madrid midfield logjam.

Zlatattack

Sounds like they need Mourinho.

Maybe some defenders too. Phil Jones comes with high praise from some of the best managers in the game.

Suvvernmanc

Just seen the result.How the heck did Real manage to lose so badly ?
Were they playing their 10 year olds?
They had Marcelo, Isco, Asensio and bezema. The rest were reserve, B team players. And they played like it to. I watched maybe half hour of it and it was dire by their own standards.

AlwaysRed66

Sounds like they need Mourinho.

Maybe some defenders too. Phil Jones comes with high praise from some of the best managers in the game.
Lukaku & Fellaini are also highly praised by their manager, & can go in a job lot with him.

Zlatattack

Lukaku & Fellaini are also highly praised by their manager, & can go in a job lot with him.
True, Crucial to Belgiums world cup run. Fellaini was like the Ent version of Pirlo. Also with Lukaku you can get Stormzy to appear in an intro video because some racists can tell them apart.

Minimalist

That's a real disaster (no pun intended) they've found themselves in.

They should go get themselves a real experienced grumpy (cnut) manager who can get them well drilled in the art of hoofball to avoid conceding these goals.

AlwaysRed66

That's a real disaster (no pun intended) they've found themselves in.

They should go get themselves a real experienced grumpy (cnut) manager who can get them well drilled in the art of hoofball to avoid conceding these goals.
Anyone in mind. ;)

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I think Ancelotti's 14/15 side at its best was our best side ever.
Agreed. Altough it could have been the contrasting good vibe compared to our last season under Mourinho that made it seem better than it was. I was so happy at the time seeing Carlo and Zizou on our bench.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed. Altough it could have been the contrasting good vibe compared to our last season under Mourinho that made it seem better than it was. I was so happy at the time seeing Carlo and Zizou on our bench.
Talking about the kroos-modric-james-isco-benzema-cristiano lineup of doom that was sweeping teams off the pitch like a fecking avalanche in September-October-November 2014. Even with Bale back and Isco replacing the injured Modric we kept on winning. Then fatigue broke us. Literally, as half the team started to fall like flies in January :(

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Talking about the kroos-modric-james-isco-benzema-cristiano lineup of doom that was sweeping teams off the pitch like a fecking avalanche in September-October-November 2014. Even with Bale back and Isco replacing the injured Modric we kept on winning. Then fatigue broke us. Literally, as half the team started to fall like flies in January :(
I still don't understand that Ancelotti error. I do not know if he was a docile coach or did not really trust the substitutes.
I would have liked to see an alternative reality, with Casemiro playing with Ancelotti.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still don't understand that Ancelotti error. I do not know if he was a docile coach or did not really trust the substitutes.
I would have liked to see an alternative reality, with Casemiro playing with Ancelotti.
He obviously didn't trust the subs, but then again he had good reason not to. Personnel decisions weren't his, can't blame him for that either. The one thing that was his fault was fitness, maybe. It's difficult to tell how much was his fault and how much Florentino's or bad luck in a post-WC season...