Kick-off
Tue, 8 August 2017 @ 7:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

AndyMUFC

At the end of the day we're second best but it's not exactly unexpected. I personally don't think we're doing that badly, it's our decision making when we get at them that is letting us down.

Danillaco

How could anyone blame Martial, if God forbid, he asks to leave UTD when fekin Lingard has advantage over him…
    It's just a mickey mouse cup, but this is fair to be said. Martial is brilliant and needs to be in this team. Can add widtht and attacking threat.

Lingard should be a squad player, not a starter, and Mhky should really do better than he's doing.

We need urgency and pace besides Lukaku.

Alabaster Codify7

Not sure why the most popular score chosen was 1-2 to us.

We're leagues behind the best clubs in the world, at present. We finished miles behind Chelsea in the league last season and I'd put them a tier or even two tiers below Madrid.

Poor first half from us, I know it doesn't mean much though, we NEED to deliver on Sunday thogh.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    I know, but surely one of them has the awareness to realise when they need to stay out there and create space in the middle?

Neither Isco or Bale play as out and out wingers but they seem to mix up their movement and positions all the time.

Obviously it helps that Marcelo and Carvajal are basically wingers when Madrid have the ball too...
    You would hope so, but I just think they cannot help themselves. It is their instinct to keep cutting inside.

Crashoutcassius

Couple of questions cos I don't wanna go through 200 pages !

What formation are we playing? 3 at the back?

How are we playing? Defensively? Making any chances?

Thanks a million

Paul_Scholes18

Btw i don't think there is as big a gulf as people here keep saying. Mou just needs the defenders to settle down and be more enterprising when you have the ball. And Lingard has to go. Rashford or Martial would give Carvajal fits and give you a massive boost
    I guess it just is that we attacked very poorly as a team last season. That don't really look like changing and Lukaku is not a player doing much on his own.

We can defend as well as any team, but it will not be good enough if the attack is weak. I think we will do better in the league though. CL we might struggle to get through the group I think. Once through I can see Mourinhos tactics working better in 2 leg ties, but we are around 8-10 favorites to win it roughly.

Arka_BleedingRed

Clever movements, meaningful passes, good decision making, high tempo. The keys to a successful European side, all severely missing in our side right now.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
    Our attack is fecking awful. Lukaku has been completely isolated with zero support offered.

Miki and Lingard have both been dreadful. If they are our first choice wing options then we are fecked.

Why the hell have we not bought a left back this summer????

Every single fear that most fans have had about our lack of key transfers this summer has been shown up.

Get Rashford and Martial on for the second half. They can't be any worse than the clowns supporting Lukaku at the moment.
    We needed a game changer in attack and a quality leftback because our options there are phatetic.

We have signed neither.

We Will be beter than last year but our football is still lacking and we will score an annoying low amount of goals.

Griezmann or similar type player was and still is a must for us. We will see 0 improvement in our most lacking area untill we do.

tomaldinho1

Did people genuinely think we would turn up and outplay RM?? They're the best team around and better than us in pretty much every position.

To be honest, we've done quite well given the difference in class but shocking basic decision making all over the shop (Lukaku chasing offside ball, Pogba shooting instead of playing in Mkhi)

Fracture90

It's just a mickey mouse cup, but this is fair to be said. Martial is brilliant and needs to be in this team. Can add widtht and attacking threat.

Lingard should be a squad player, not a starter, and Mhky should really do better than he's doing.

We need urgency and pace besides Lukaku.
    It truly is depressive.

giorno

boob novice
    Supports
    Real Madrid
    I guess it just is that we attacked very poorly as a team last season. That don't really look like changing and Lukaku is not a player doing much on his own.

We can defend as well as any team, but it will not be good enough if the attack is weak. I think we will do better in the league though. CL we might struggle to get through the group I think. Once through I can see Mourinhos tactics working better in 2 leg ties, but we are around 8-10 favorites to win it roughly.
    Your attack is weak because your defenders are shite on the ball and don't help the build up and attacking play at all

AXVnee7

Absolute nonsense.
    Lazy post. Backs up what I'm saying.

There's two extremes, one is the moaners being all doom and gloom. Pogba is getting a load of stick, but plenty declaring him useless which is over the top.

On the hand is those like yourself with something negative to say to any criticism, with no insight whatsoever. Others are telling people nonchalantly to relax, which is equally ineffective.

I agree with the sentiment that Madrid are too good for us, but what I'm disappointed at what I've seen so far. It's like we picked up right after last season. We should by now be much better at ball retention, and Madrid are find space in front of our back four/five far too easily. On the plus side we are slowly growing into this game even if we are leaving ourselves open the counter. Matic has been very good but could do with more support.

Ixion

Said it all summer the signings we've made weren't going to improve us that much from last year, despite all the claims we made more chances every game than other team in the world. Our attack was predictable and pedestrian and still is. Need Mkhitaryn and Martial to find form early this season not wasting half the season again.

NecssryEvil

1-0 is probably about right although the one they did get I think was OS. Looks like a stable team against a team working in 3 new players, new formation, etc. Continuity is highly underrated and United don't have that just yet.

Walters_19_MuFc

Lukaku must think he is still back at Everton. Being the only attacker whilst the rest are defending.
    Can't imagine it'll normally be like this. We're playing against a very good Madrid side. However, I do think we could be giving a better account of ourselves. We're dropping too deep and showing them too much respect, in my opinion.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
    I can appreciate that this match is frustrating to watch with us chasing shadows for nearly half an hour but let's keep some things in perspective.

Madrid are a team at the top of their game with talented players who, most importantly, have spent enough time together and understand each other. You can see them constantly finding areas to play in. You have Modric in the middle of the pitch finding spaces to receive passes and then passing it on before looking other areas after. This constantly keeps the ball moving and makes it more difficult to close them down.

United, on the other hand and often out of necessity, have an ever-changing squad that is still relatively unfamiliar and thus isn't as instinctive with possession. You can see that with the way that sometimes the man on the ball needs to take that extra few seconds to find a man open, often putting themselves into difficulty.

All I'm staying is, we will probably be outclassed tonight by a superior and far more experienced Madrid team but we won't be facing them every week this year. As fans, we need to understand that we will probably need a few years to have a good spine to the team and reach the level that the biggest teams in Europe have but if we keep at it, we can begin to see signs of serious progress. That won't happen in one season and it especially won't happen in one night.

Anyway, I probably won't respond for a while as I'll be watching the match.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    No Martial? Seriously?

AXVnee7

Still off side though. Why bother having officials then?
    I am under the impression that the arm cannot be offside? To me that was the part of his body that was clearly offside, it was debatable for the rest of his body.

R'hllor

How about those in charge stop this forum being chocked by shit and piss in this pool of piss and shit? Majority of members (including myself) should go back to newbies and current newbie system should be killed.

UDontMessWith24

So far it's a great contest between us and the ref for who can give RM more unnecessary respect. We might be just ahead at this time.

Second-half kick-off

Needham

Seeing modern footballers prepare to enter the pitch for tbe 2nd half, they look like middle management returning to a stress free meeting.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Not sure why the most popular score chosen was 1-2 to us.
    Rose tinted specs.

There are some in here who believe that our midfield is one of the best in the World.
    That Martial is a going to win the Ballon dor.
    That Miki and his 4 league goals last season was actually pretty good.
    That L.Shaw is the best LB in the World.
    When I read the Shaw comment, I was floored.

It just goes to show that some MUFC fans are completely blinkered and are unable to logically assess our players.

freeurmind

weak willed
    Couple of questions cos I don't wanna go through 200 pages !

What formation are we playing? 3 at the back?

How are we playing? Defensively? Making any chances?

Thanks a million
    Was 3-5-2 but went to 4-5-1 just before half-time.
    We were ok but Real turned up the pressure and it led to the goal. No clear cut chances for us but some decent moments.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
    Scout
    Big difference is the defenders. Ours are all good/great on the ball. Yours don't know what to do and treat the ball as if it's made of lava
    And Benzema is able to support the midfield when they are stuck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw