Real Madrid's New Club Badge

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I went into Asda the other day, and all I could see was food from Poland. I am being oppressed by Polish Zoroastrians.

red_devil83

Imagine if Real were Muslim and UAE Christian and they asked Real to remove a moon and star from their crest as to not offend Christians?
It's only Muslims who are militant about this kind of thing afaik. I thought religions were supposed to convey ideals of tolerance, yet this is intolerance of Christianity..

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
All these generalisations when the only place you should lay any blame here is the club itself.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I went into Asda the other day, and all I could see was food from Poland. I am being oppressed by Polish Zoroastrians.
I went into Iceland the other day and all they had was food from Iceland. It's getting out of control.

SteveJ

Scout
I went into Iceland the other day and all they had was food from Iceland. It's getting out of control.
It's ridiculous. This country's going to the dogs in a Korean-made handcart. I can't even have an English passport!...ok, it's because I'm Welsh but that's not the point.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Football should be separate from religion. It's one of the few things that unifies most people as it is, let's not start all this shit again.

Fwiw i don't think Madrid should have changed their badge. It would be bad enough to do so for religious reasons in the first place, but it's clear they're hoping to prophet* from it, rather than just being sensitive to something no-ones even complained about yet.

*couldn't resist.

Sad Chris

I bet majority of muslims following football don't care how a club's logo looks like, especially non-issue like this.
Agreed with manuttjw on this. None of the Arabic sponsers have had any issues with Devil on Man Utd's logo.
Possibly, but that's because we have an Arabic logo:

SteveJ

Scout
Great - Father Christmas with a knife. #againstmodernfootball

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Would you lot care if United dropped the devil from your crest due to concerns over offending people?
I would. I'd hate for the club to change itself to cater to people on a different continent to where the club is based. Hopefully it never comes to that.

ScarleyUtd

All these generalisations when the only place you should lay any blame here is the club itself.
Well we don't know that for sure. Could have been the sponsors telling them to take it off or the deal's off. But I do agree the buck stops with the club.

ScarleyUtd

If you think for one second they have some kind of empathy with the club's heritage which would stop them from doing exactly the same as Madrid in the same circumstances, you are a very deluded man.
I'm not sure you're right. I'm no fan of the Glazers but they could have made a fortune over stadium naming rights, for example, but didn't. If something is part of your heritage there should be a line and Madrid have clearly gone over it here.

Reds-of-Ulster

If you think for one second they have some kind of empathy with the club's heritage which would stop them from doing exactly the same as Madrid in the same circumstances, you are a very deluded man.
I don't, but I know they haven't changed our badge, so how can you try and somehow shift this onto the Glazers. :houllier:

SteveJ

Scout
I'll never forgive the Lazers for putting that boat on our badge.

Sir A1ex

I don't, but I know they haven't changed our badge, so how can you try and somehow shift this onto the Glazers. :houllier:
Sorry, I just assumed that the implication in "That is a joke that a club would be willing to change their badge in order to appease a sponsor" was that our own club would not do likewise. If not then fine, carry on.

Dunk

Body language expert
This is just for the display of the logo in Abu Dhabi. Real Madrid are not changing their logo. Stop overreacting.

Sir A1ex

I'm not sure you're right. I'm no fan of the Glazers but they could have made a fortune over stadium naming rights, for example, but didn't. If something is part of your heritage there should be a line and Madrid have clearly gone over it here.
How many non-sponsored, existing football grounds actually have? There's a lot less value in them than new grounds which people will actually use the sponsor's name.

Whatever the reasons they haven't gone ahead and done this, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more down to hard-nosed business decisions than any kind of sentimentality for the club's heritage. And this isn't a pop particularly at the Glazers, same goes for pretty much all modern football clubs.

ScarleyUtd

How many non-sponsored, existing football grounds actually have? There's a lot less value in them than new grounds which people will actually use the sponsor's name.

Whatever the reasons they haven't gone ahead and done this, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more down to hard-nosed business decisions than any kind of sentimentality for the club's heritage. And this isn't a pop particularly at the Glazers, same goes for pretty much all modern football clubs.
I never claimed the Glazers were sentimental, it makes sense in terms of business too. Selling the family silver might make sense in the short term but it doesn't in the long run. That cross is part of the Spanish crown and the reason they're called Real Madrid – pretty integral to their heritage and therefore their 'brand'.

SirAF

Ageist
Would you lot care if United dropped the devil from your crest due to concerns over offending people?
I would care, but I don't think that's a real relevant comparison. The little cross just sits on top of their logo, I've never noticed it before! The devil is central to the Manchester United brand. "Red Devils" etc. They are also activly playing on it with the Cassilero del Diablo sponsorship.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Are they gonna put a pair of AK-47's in place of the small cross? May as bloody well.

The world is changing.

We're all being force fed Halal meat too, with all these big fast food chains bowing down to Muslim demands.

If the roles were reversed, this would never happen. I think it's ridiculous.
Beauty.

Mental.

Highlights another big issue in modern world - Arabians always demand to respect their religion feelings, but they never respect yours - even if they stay and live in your country for social benefits.
...another pearl right there.

ScarleyUtd

I would care, but I don't think that's a real relevant comparison. The little cross just sits on top of their logo, I've never noticed it before! The devil is central to the Manchester United brand. "Red Devils" etc. They are also activly playing on with the Cassilero del Diablo sponsorship.
I'd never noticed either, but we're not Madrid fans and we don't live in such a religious country as Spain. I do also object to airbrushing history because of religious intolerance.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd never noticed either, but we're not Madrid fans and we don't live in such a religious country as Spain. I do also object to airbrushing history because of religious intolerance.
Yeah, I see your point - definitely. However, I was just saying that the comparison between removing that cross and removing our devil was a pretty far fetched one. I mean, Manchester United are famous for their devil - I don't think we can say that about Real and their catholic(?) connections(?). It's not the first thing that springs to mind, really.

ScarleyUtd

Yeah, I see your point - definitely. However, I was just saying that the comparison between removing that cross and removing our devil was a pretty far fetched one. I mean, Manchester United are famous for their devil - I don't think we can say that about Real and their catholic(?) connections(?). It's not the first thing that springs to mind, really.
Be interesting to see what a Madrid fan thinks of it. I think someone has been linked in to the thread.

Sir A1ex

I never claimed the Glazers were sentimental, it makes sense in terms of business too. Selling the family silver might make sense in the short term but it doesn't in the long run. That cross is part of the Spanish crown and the reason they're called Real Madrid – pretty integral to their heritage and therefore their 'brand'.
I would agree that this is roughly the reason it's not happened (yet!).

But that's a bit different to "If something is part of your heritage there should be a line". There is also a line related to long run financial interests and it just so happens to coincide with this one!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It's only Muslims who are militant about this kind of thing afaik. I thought religions were supposed to convey ideals of tolerance, yet this is intolerance of Christianity..
Tolerance? Afaik, Buddhism is the only religion that says to be tolerant. The others say convert that heathen at all costs.