Real Madrid's New Club Badge

Lyricist

The article is new but I swear I've read this same story about a year ago already. Am I having some kind of dejavu?!?!

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I doubt I'd have even noticed the difference if I didn't know exactly what to look for. It's a minuscule change.

Grib

I doubt I'd have even noticed the difference if I didn't know exactly what to look for. It's a minuscule change.
Yeah it took me a few looks to realise where the cross was, but still this seems a bit ott

I really dislike politics (religion in most cases is political imo) being involved in football, infact in sport at all

I know we removed the 'football club' from our badge but this is something else

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Would like to know Muslimiano Ronaldo's thoughts on this.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Meh. AFAIK they did the same in 2012 for a UAE resort and they're only doing it now for the regional credit card partnership with the bank and limited related products. Madrid's official logo will be retained across the board including global merchandise.

Bit of a tangent but is it considered offensive ? As an atheist I'm not really bothered by the Star of David or The Crescent Moon or The Dharma Wheel or the Cross or any other religious artifact. And none of my overly religious friends are particularly turned off by the prominent devil in United's crest. Why can't we chuck these imaginary religious, racial, national, political divides aside and just get along ?

Grib

I don't know when it stops. But it seems like this is nothing compared to having Chevrolet all over a red shirt or the Emirates Stadium.
debatable this point you make

Real are doing to this to appease a sponsor so i don't get the Chevrolet thing, and tbh I don't think it looks that bad after seeing it since pre season

the Emirates thing, hmmmm, well it's questionable if you stayed at highbury would they have sold naming rights, i doubt it personally, but it's my understanding (might be wrong) that the stadium naming rights were part of financing the new stadium?

this is appeasing a sponsor because of religious beliefs, either way i think its a completely different ball game

Grib

Bit of a tangent but is it considered offensive ? As an atheist I'm not really bothered by the Star of David or The Crescent Moon or The Dharma Wheel or the Cross or any other religious artifact. And none of my overly religious friends are particularly turned off by the prominent devil in United's crest. Why can't we chuck these imaginary religious, racial, national, political divides aside and just get along ?
this is pretty much it, politics has no place in football or sport

Reds-of-Ulster

I don't know when it stops. But it seems like this is nothing compared to having Chevrolet all over a red shirt or the Emirates Stadium.
The thing that annoys me is that Abu Dhabi group are using their religious beliefs to change the badge of Real Madrid.

Even as someone who isn't at all religious, it annoys me that they could even find it offensive and would demand that is is to be changed.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
debatable this point you make

Real are doing to this to appease a sponsor so i don't get the Chevrolet thing, and tbh I don't think it looks that bad after seeing it since pre season

the Emirates thing, hmmmm, well it's questionable if you stayed at highbury would they have sold naming rights, i doubt it personally, but it's my understanding (might be wrong) that the stadium naming rights were part of financing the new stadium?

this is appeasing a sponsor because of religious beliefs, either way i think its a completely different ball game
I think that they are all about appeasing a sponsor, some are just more direct than others. In American sports, things are advertised constantly. Some sports even have timeouts specifically for tv producers to show more commercials. But we would never accept sponsors on the uniform itself. UK or US way isn't necessarily better or worse, it's just an issue of what different people will accept. So since I don't have strong opinions on it, I wonder how other people look at the issue. It doesn't seem like a big deal for me but I understand that it can be a red line for someone else.

Grib

I think that they are all about appeasing a sponsor, some are just more direct than others. In American sports, things are advertised constantly. Some sports even have timeouts specifically for tv producers to show more commercials. But we would never accept sponsors on the uniform itself. UK or US way isn't necessarily better or worse, it's just an issue of what different people will accept. So since I don't have strong opinions on it, I wonder how other people look at the issue. It doesn't seem like a big deal for me but I understand that it can be a red line for someone else.
Yup no doubt, like I said we changed our badge from Manchester united football club to Manchester united as our new owners (I think it was them, it may have been just before and the plc) thought the older version of the badge could lead to some confusion (-_-)

But it's because this is over a political thing that doesn't sit well with me

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The thing that annoys me is that Abu Dhabi group are using their religious beliefs to change the badge of Real Madrid.

Even as someone who isn't at all religious, it annoys me that they could even find it offensive and would demand that is is to be changed.
To be fair we don't know yet if the change was demanded. By the looks of things it was a proactive measure taken by Perez to nullify the minor chance of future unrest and make the club theologically neutral to their regional support base in UAE.

Reds-of-Ulster

To be fair we don't know yet if the change was demanded. By the looks of things it was a proactive measure taken by Perez to nullify the minor chance of future unrest and make the club theologically neutral to their regional support base in UAE.
So Perez sold out the clubs heritage in order to cash in on the support from the UAE?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So Perez sold out the clubs heritage in order to cash in on the support from the UAE?
How exactly did he sell the heritage ? It was just a small alteration to the badge to make them more welcoming to a fraction of their global fan-base. Clubs redesign their logos all the time. Does it mean they are necessarily mortgaging their belief system ? I'm sorry man but you're reading a bit too much into a trivial issue. There are far more important things going on across the world and this pales in significance.

Reds-of-Ulster

How exactly did he sell the heritage ? It was just a small alteration to the badge to make them more welcoming to a fraction of their global fan-base. Clubs redesign their logos all the time. Does it mean they are necessarily mortgaging their belief system ? I'm sorry man but you're reading a bit too much into a trivial issue. There are far more important things going on across the world and this pales in significance.
But why did they need to change it in the first place? So more people are 'accepting' of the club's image in the Middle East? Let's be honest, the reasons they took away the cross was because it made the club more appealing to those from a different religious group.

Would you be happy if United removed the Red Devil in order to appease a group of supporters? Even though that is unlikely to happen.

Grib

Spain's a very religious country, just because it may not be such a big deal over here, doesn't mean its not in another country

If it's so trivial then why do they need to remove it, get what I'm saying?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
But why did they need to change it in the first place? So more people are 'accepting' of the club's image in the Middle East? Let's be honest, the reasons they took away the cross was because it made the club more appealing to those from a different religious group.

Would you be happy if United removed the Red Devil in order to appease a group of supporters? Even though that is unlikely to happen.
At the end of the day the change is only limited to the logo on credit cards that the bank will issue in UAE, so basically .1 % of Madrid's total volume of crests being printed. Sometimes companies offer different logos in smaller markets if people are uncomfortable with it in an attempt to respect the sensibilities of fans from that particular area. Madrid should be considered no differently IMO. Fans from other parts of the world can still purchase merchandise with the original crest intact.

Spain's a very religious country, just because it may not be such a big deal over here, doesn't mean its not in another country

If it's so trivial then why do they need to remove it, get what I'm saying?
Fair enough, maybe it's not as trivial for others as it might be for me. But the thing is the change is not applicable to their brand-wear in Spain, not to the club's crest in the jerseys being sold in Spain, or in the stadium or in some crisp company they're affiliated with. Practicing Christians can still buy dozens or different products with the cross on top of the crest. It has been omitted in credit cards in a country with a tiny population ? Big deal. How many Spaniards are going to the UAE and using those cards anyway ? I'm guessing not many.

stepic

Shows how pedantic the Abu Dhabi group are more than anything. I mean, ffs.

Religion is so frustratingly inane.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Hold onto your pitchforks chaps, it's only for abu dhabi. original logo will remain in Europe.

The original logo, which will still be used in Europe, is pictured, left, complete with the tiny Christian cross on the top.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Wow, that's embarrassing. I can't imagine UAE based brands would remove their imagery if push came to shove.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is outrageous. Time for Christian sponsors to do the same to Drogheda and Portsmouth. :mad:

Not really

Grib

Fair enough, maybe it's not as trivial for others as it might be for me. But the thing is the change is not applicable to their brand-wear in Spain, not to the club's crest in the jerseys being sold in Spain, or in the stadium or in some crisp company they're affiliated with. Practicing Christians can still buy dozens or different products with the cross on top of the crest. It has been omitted in credit cards in a country with a tiny population ? Big deal. How many Spaniards are going to the UAE and using those cards anyway ? I'm guessing not many.
On its own that may be a fair point, but i have to come back to the fact that its political and that has no place in sport :/