Kick-off
Thu, 18 February 2021 @ 5:55pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ................VS..................

Date - Thursday, February 18 2021
    Kickoff Time - 1755 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Juventus Stadium, Turin

Europa League Form Guide

Manchester United: N/A
    Real Sociedad: LWDDD

Previous Meetings in European Competitions

Real Sociedad 0–0 Manchester United

Manchester United 1–0 Real Sociedad

All-Time Record in European Competitions

Manchester United wins: 1
    Real Sociedad wins: 0
    Draws: 1

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Imanol Alguacil

Team News

Manchester United

Paul Pogba and Phil Jones ruled out.

Real Sociedad

Miguel Ángel Moyá and Luca Sangalli ruled out.

Know the opposition

Real Sociedad de Fútbol, S.A.D., more commonly referred to as Real Sociedad or La Real, is a Spanish professional sports club in the city of San Sebastián, Basque Country. Football was introduced to San Sebastián in the early 1900s by students and workers returning from Britain. In 1904, they formed the San Sebastian Recreation Club and in 1905 the club competed in the Copa del Rey. In May 1905, the San Sebastian Football Club was formed as a separate branch of the club. In 1909, it applied to enter the Copa del Rey but complications over registration permits saw them compete as Club Ciclista de San Sebastián. This team defeated Club Español de Madrid 3–1 in the final. Out of the confusion, the Sociedad de Futbol was formed on 7 September 1909. Subsequently, the club was a founder member of La Liga in 1929.

Traditionally the club followed a policy (similar to that of its rival Athletic) of signing only Basque players, before signing Republic of Ireland forward John Aldridge in 1989. While a strong Basque contingent has been retained among its players, nowadays both non-Basque Spaniards and foreign players are represented at the club. Its youth section subsequent to the all-Basque era has still been very successful in developing internationally renowned players, such as World Cup winners Xabi Alonso and Antoine Griezmann. Real Sociedad won the Liga title in 1980–81 and 1981–82, and last finished runner-up in 2002–03. The club has also won the Copa del Rey twice, in 1909 and 1987. It contests the Basque derby against rivals Athletic Bilbao, and plays its home games at the Anoeta Stadium.

Referee

Sandro Schärer.

Familiar Faces

Adnan Januzaj (2011—17)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Who cares really? I thought going out of the title race would give me more enthusiasm for cups. Actually care about this less now. Feels like the season ended today. If we lose on Thursday will that change anything about this season? Not for me.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    ugh feck this.

Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Telles; Matic, vdB, Fred; Mata, Martial, James.

We'll play our strongest XI and draw 1-1/0-0.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
    Play squad players, not just for rotation and rest but because I don't want to give first XI fatigue Thursday/Sunday excuse when they will stink up the place vs Newcastle.

abailey123

Have to rotate the lads looked gassed today.

Henderson
    Williams
    Bailly
    Maguire
    Telles

Matic
    Van de Beek

Diallo
    Mata
    James

Martial

slored1

If Rashford and Martial start together again we’ll lose.

Mcking

I'd go:

Henderson
    AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Fernandes Rashford
    Cavani

ShinjiNinja26

We always struggle against Spanish teams and if we play like we have done today it could get ugly. We may not be in this competition for much longer which if we were still in a title race may not be a bad thing but as things stand its shaping up to be another trophy less season.

Irwin99

There's a possibility that this might end up being the best route to CL football next season :nervous: Think we'll definitely take it seriously.

Crustanoid

We’re not winning this and playing loads of extra games will almost certainly screw top 4 and knack us for next season. Euros etc will mean less chance of a break as well

Rest anyone of any note and throw the tie please

always_hoping

No need for 2 legs in these knockout European ties but it seems TV and sponsorship money matters more than the virus.

What will be left in the tank for the Newcastle next Sunday after this match?

Won 1-0 away today but Real Sociedad are not doing as well as they were when the draw was made although this season they are better than Celta Vigo was in 2017 whom would have beaten United at the semi final stage but for that missed sitter by John Guidetti.

Henderson the cup keeper should start. Bailly back fit may start, Matic,Greenwood perhaps for Fred and Martial i can't see many other changes to the starting 11. Some very happy memories in Turin over the years.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    They really needed to make this season single legged ties. Especially in this cup that has about 73 rounds still.
    And especially as the team we're playing have already had to move away from their ground to another country!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
    They really needed to make this season single legged ties. Especially in this cup that has about 73 rounds still.
    And especially as the team we're playing have already had to move away from their ground to another country!
    Also add the lack of crowds making a game at a neutral venue, uh, completely neutral anyway.

Single-legged ties was one of the more sensible decisions to come out of this shit show.

pascell

Henderson
    Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Telles
    Fred VdB
    Greenwood Fernandes Rashford
    Martial

Unfortunately Sociedad have come into some form recently so it'll be a tricky tie, Fred man marking Silva will take away some of their attacking threat.

Chicharo

Title race is over (provided we were ever really part of it), but Top 4 spot is not secured yet. I would still like us to try and win some trophies. So I expect some changes, but still a strong team.
    1-1 and I'll be happy

AgentSmith

Can any La Liga aficionados give a quick breakdown of Real Sociedad and their form/style of play?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Dejected really. Not looking at this with enthusiasm at all. I will watch it, but kind of not caring anymore.

Red00012

This attitude is a joke.

I can only presume you’ll be slagging Ole off come June if we don’t win a trophy.

Embarrassing
    There is one of these at the start of each match day thread immediately after a poor result , I wouldn’t take much notice . He’ll be ok after a nights sleep and will be posting in the match day thread Thursday night about how shit we are .

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
    Losing constantly in the latter stages of cups - "Ugh, who cares about this cup"

Will one of these brainboxes tell me where this team's winning mentality is supposed to come from other than trying fecking hard to, ya know, win something?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
    Let's win this to qualify for CL next year.

Bwuk

Henderson
    AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Telles
    McTominay - Matic
    Diallo - VdB - Rashford
    Greenwood​

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
    Henderson
    Williams—-Tuanzebe—-Lindelof—-Telles
    Matic
    Mata (assuming he still exists?)—-van de Beek
    Diallo—-Martial—-James​

Keep the first team far away from this one (including Greenwood and Bailly who should start the next league match in the place of Martial and Lindelof) - leave them at home or something; please don’t pass-up the chance to get some proper rest at last.

Bit of a risk starting Diallo maybe but we don’t have many options on the right (as we all know!) and I’m guessing Sociedad aren’t a team of thugs, otherwise I’m good with that team - shouldn’t lose too badly and might for once see a squad player grasp their opportunity to challenge the first XI. The bench to be made-up of whichever academy players we have eligible for the competition.

JMack1234

It's a nonsense that this is still a two legged tie.

All Europa League games should be single legged games at a neutral venue. It was obvious at Christmas that the traditional home & away ties wouldn't be possible this season.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 76% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions