Realistic buyers...

Mr Smith

Nobody nice has this sort of money. Take the Saudi money. If they're funding our transfers it's money not spent on wars and terrorism.
That is absolutely not the case, but it's exactly the attitude they want you to have, and the reason they're looking to buy football clubs in the first place. Have you heard of sports washing? These states are buying football clubs specifically to distract from their human rights violations.

For me the Saudi's buying United is just as bad if not worse than the super league; it would certainly be the end of me supporting the club.

stevoc

That is absolutely not the case, but it's exactly the attitude they want you to have, and the reason they're looking to buy football clubs in the first place. Have you heard of sports washing? These states are buying football clubs specifically to distract from their human rights violations.

For me the Saudi's buying United is just as bad if not worse than the super league; it would certainly be the end of me supporting the club.
Oh it's way worse.

stevoc

I think the sad reality of this for us is no one (especially post covid) is going to pay $4-5 billion for a football club, no individual anyway and even then they'd probably never break even for many years if ever. Roman bought Chelsea for 'only' £140m has he ever seen a profit from them 20 years on?

Only a megacorporation is rich enough to be dropping that kind of money to buy a company like United. For comparison Disney bought Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm for roughly $4 billion each. Through Movies, TV shows, Games and toys/merchandise they've probably made $10-20 billion from each of those companies respectively over the last 10 years.

How long would it take to see a similar return from United?

The stadium needs major redevelopment costing anywhere from £200-400m, the wage bill is still massive probably £200m+ every year and they would still be expected to spend £100-200m on transfers every summer from £600-700m income.

DULLAGHAN

Daniel Ek (founder of Spotify) has expressed an interest in Arsenal on twitter. Claims to be a childhood fan.

Maybe we can persuade him that Roy Keane was better than Viera?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bought a good share of the Mercedes F1 last year, seems like a sound bloke.
And he’s already stated that buying a football club( Man Utd) doesn’t make sense. He’s described the state of the club as shockingly poor, and Ineos won’t invest in something so dumb.
Ineos already has Nice, sponsors the Ineos yacht ing team and a share in Mercedes.

On a another negative about him is that he was considering making an offer for Chelsea before opting to buy Nice. He, like every parasitic owner is in it for profit. Don’t pretend that simply because he’s supposedly’UTd’, that he’s any better

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
United are simply too expensive. Our selling price is mostly based on potential and little on actual profit. I also think that we're hitting the limit of what sponsorships can take us in terms of revenue. So we are either bought by the Saudis or someone like the Glazers ie people who will try to drive our profits up through 'unconventional ways'.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It doesn't need to be one. Just put the entire shares in the stock market, and let people buy them.

If it has to be a single owner, I can see only MbS or some Chinese (possibly government-backed) businessman. We are too costly (and football is not profitable enough) for anything else except for people who would want United as a propaganda machine.
I'd expect Glazers to get rid of any business which isn't "profitable enough", are there any signs of that happening though?

Wilbursaurus

Jim Ratcliffe would be the best outcome for all.
Manchester United fan.
English.
I just think the greedy parasites will ask for an unrealistic amount and rightfully Jim won't spend an unrealistic amount.

Silverman

Its about time that we drum up some pressure on the Glazers to sell.
However, to who will be a problem.
Personally, I don't know anything about the Saudi's but I don't want them anywhere near the club if they have a hand in any of the human rights violations that goes on in their country.

Silverman

United are simply too expensive. Our selling price is mostly based on potential and little on actual profit. I also think that we're hitting the limit of what sponsorships can take us in terms of revenue. So we are either bought by the Saudis or someone like the Glazers ie people who will try to drive our profits up through 'unconventional ways'.
Or a large group of wealthy real fans?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We're talking about billions of pounds here. How many insanely rich fans whose got tens of millions of pounds to spare does this club have? I met some rich people in my life and unless they inherited the money they tend to be rich for a reason.

matt10000

The Saudi's are going to be all over his, this is their perfect chance to pounce. Whether that is what people want is another thing, but after this whole saga, I could well see alot of fans welcoming them for their rescue from the Glazers.
If you are referring to MBS then a lot of fans would welcome them as saviours but the reality is that we would become a state owned propergannda machine to make a dodgy state look legitimate.

I don’t like the current owners very much and would like them to be replaced but replacing a family of parasitic leeches with a murderous thuggish de facto ruler who denies his own people of human rights, imprisons his own people for criticising authorities or advocating political and rights reforms, systematically discriminates against women and religious minorities, curtails academic research deemed sensitive, bans political parties, censors local media and executes people who were involved in anti-government protests when they were under 18 years old?

It’s a no from me!

51% fan ownership for all clubs by law is my dream but is probably unrealistic to implement too much legal stuff.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Problem is we cost what, $4billion?

Reading this thread it sounds like people want an owner with Bezos money but Gandhi ethics - never going to happen.

We either get purchased by MBS or someone similar, or someone like the Glazers - basically buying us to make huge profits, do what exactly is the point in changing owners when it's going to be just as bad!

Then you have others suggesting a group of wealthy United supporters? Even then, the amount of fans it would take to cobble up 4billion would be mind blowing, and for those who know rich people, they tend to want to run the ship when investing the tiniest amount of money, let alone millions - even if we manage that scenario, do you think these people wouldn't be signing up every noodle sponsor they could to maximise profits?

The sport is too far gone, and we're "valued" way too high for a White Knight.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Problem is we cost what, $4billion?

Reading this thread it sounds like people want an owner with Bezos money but Gandhi ethics - never going to happen.

We either get purchased by MBS or someone similar, or someone like the Glazers - basically buying us to make huge profits, do what exactly is the point in changing owners when it's going to be just as bad!

Then you have others suggesting a group of wealthy United supporters? Even then, the amount of fans it would take to cobble up 4billion would be mind blowing, and for those who know rich people, they tend to want to run the ship when investing the tiniest amount of money, let alone millions - even if we manage that scenario, do you think these people wouldn't be signing up every noodle sponsor they could to maximise profits?

The sport is too far gone, and we're "valued" way too high for a White Knight.
It's a bit worse than that, we are talking about small profits at a large cost for someone else. The only moment you make a huge profit is if/when you sell the club.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It's a bit worse than that, we are talking about small profits at a large cost for someone else. The only moment you make a huge profit is if/when you sell the club.
And that's exactly why we won't get purchased by a "regular" businessman - no one will be throwing down 4b with a further 500m for stadium refurbishment without looking to take more out of it than what the Glazers currently do (the Glazers bought us at the perfect time).

It's either a Sheik/insanely rich individual with shady morals which I think most agree would be terrible, stick with the Glazers, owners like the Glazers but probably taking more out to make the investment worthwhile or, wish for a unicorn - which seemingly everyone is pinning their hopes on.

Shame.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And that's exactly why we won't get purchased by a "regular" businessman - no one will be throwing down 4b with a further 500m for stadium refurbishment without looking to take more out of it than what the Glazers currently do (the Glazers bought us at the perfect time).

It's either a Sheik/insanely rich individual with shady morals which I think most agree would be terrible, stick with the Glazers, owners like the Glazers but probably taking more out to make the investment worthwhile or, wish for a unicorn - which seemingly everyone is pinning their hopes on.

Shame.
Yup that's exactly how I see it. And to be frank, I wouldn't trust the common sense of a billionaire that purchases United for several billions just for the love of the game. He could do the same thing with a smallish club, Pinault is an example of that, he is wealthier than Ratcliffe and you won't catch him waste billions on a football team, he owns Rennes because it's the club of his hometown and can easily afford to keep it in Ligue 1.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yup that's exactly how I see it. And to be frank, I wouldn't trust the common sense of a billionaire that purchases United for several billions just for the love of the game. He could do the same thing with a smallish club, Pinault is an example of that, he is wealthier than Ratcliffe and you won't catch him waste billions on a football team, he owns Rennes because it's the club of his hometown and can easily afford to keep it in Ligue 1.
Yup, I don't know any Billionaires, but I know a few millionaires, and they usually get their money by buying smart businesses with huge room for growth, and they keep it by leaving their personal emotions put of business.

There is very little growth left for Manchester United, Glazers for all their faults, managed to maximise their profits through us (which we rightly condemn) but that in turn left them with little options with regards to buyers, and unfortunately for us fans, these buyers won't be what we all want.

Chairman Steve

At the present moment, it’ll be a consortium of buyers like the Red Knights or the Saudis will just go “feck it, I’m buying Utd”

MattofManchester

Let's be honest only Saudis have the Power to buy us.
Well it depends. This is why legislation and reform is needed.
At the very least, owners should be those adhering to human rights.
I mean, feck sake, that's not asking much, is it?

Otherwise,what exactly was the whole point of the protest against ESL, while we substitute in a definite and worse evil.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd expect Glazers to get rid of any business which isn't "profitable enough", are there any signs of that happening though?
They are taking 20m in dividends against a 4 billion market cap company, which is far less than most companies. The stock has gone significantly up but it is becoming increasingly clear that we are hitting a roof with regard to how higher it can go.

There are better businesses than sport ones.

BristolRuss

I think people underestimate how much it would cost to buy us. Simply having a group of 'wealthy' fans isn't going to cut it.

Hypothetically, if you earned £1 every single second, of every single day, 365 days a year, then you would become a millionaire in a little over 11 days. Yet it would take you over 31 years to become a billionaire. So if it costs 3-4 Billion to buy the club then it would take you between 95 - 127 years to earn that much. Even divided among of group of 'wealthy' individuals it's just too much.

Womp

idiot
That's where I'm a bit iffy, as much as I despise the Glazers, realistically speaking, anyone who could spend that amount of money on an investment is going to be questionable. People who build up/inherit that kind of money most likely haven't done so by putting morals and ethics first, let's be honest here.

If the Glazers were to sell, MBS would be lined up first and it's evident how people would feel about that.

Not really sure where we go from here tbh

Last edited:

Foxbatt

MBS. It's happening this time insha'a Allah.

if anyone is interested I wrote about him a little from a Saudi & Man United point of view/I think it's more appropriate to be discussed here.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/turn-the-caf-green-and-gold.457837/page-6

Cheers!
To be realistic only someone from the Middle East is able to buy us. The Chinese won't buy us because they are only in interested in making money. So it is going to be someone like MBS. I know that a lot of people do not like him because of his antics, but he would run the club professionally at least without taking money out of the club. yes he has been involved in a lot of nefarious activities but so has the governments of the USA and the UK or India and still people elect those kind of people to power.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
MBS. It's happening this time insha'a Allah.

if anyone is interested I wrote about him a little from a Saudi & Man United point of view/I think it's more appropriate to be discussed here.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/turn-the-caf-green-and-gold.457837/page-6

Cheers!
Then he can lure any offending referees to a third country where his goons can chop them up in pieces when they screw over United. Or next time there's a Super League proposed that other football leaders oppose, he can arrest or kidnap them and lock them up in a fancy hotel until they acquiesce. :rolleyes:

He could abolish the women's team, not because it cost money like the Glazers did, but because of his misogyny.

Moving away from the rampant human rights abuses that MBS has orchestrated, he's also been part of illegally pirating the Premier League to screw over the Qataris, thus undermining the league's ability to make money, which is why they cared about the Newcastle takeover.

I would give up on United if this murderous scumbag bought the club.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
4bn is the asking price according to Steve Bates. The best we can hope for is some legislation giving fans a say in club decisions - they aren’t going anywhere - and if they do sell it’s highly likely the new buyers will be cnuts too. Nobody is stumping that money up without expecting a return. The takeover should never have been allowed and now the club is worth too much to get it back.

sveisa

Can fans chip in? Say if someone buys the club for 4 billion and issues a large amount of their shares to get most of their investment back, is it doable? I'm willing to "invest" $500 in a massively overpriced entity, if it means that fans get 50.1 ownership of the club, even if I will never profit from the shares.

Threesus

Can’t believe that the history of our club has been influenced by a dog and a horse. Wonder if other clubs have anything interesting like this.

Can anybody see any of these protests amounting to anything of note? Even if people cancel memberships, there will always be others waiting to claim them. But what is the incentive for the glazers to sell is, when they can just earn 100 million every year? I mean, no sane billionaire is going to drop 4 billion pounds, especially during COVID.

Coops73

What if the Saudis bought United from the Glazers, invested heavily in the squad, infrastructure and local community and then let fans have a significant stake in the club like the 50+1 idea? How would people feel about this then?

I don’t know if anything like that would be possible or viable but if the Saudis want to clean their image then buying into a massive club like United on the back of all this anger towards the glazers and football ownership in general would be ideal wouldn’t it?