Realistically how brutal does Erik Ten Hag need to be?

DSG

In an idea world, with a the financial backing a club like this should be able to give it manager, it would be fantastic to see him absolutely tear this squad apart. There are actually so few players that are likeable. And bar Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo who only came in last summer, none of the others deserve a chance “to put it right”. They’ve had their chances.
Really? Bruno did nothing for us? There are quite a few players that can still play a role, if the tactics and mentality issues are resolved. Fred? McTominay? Elanga?

Jibbs

If I were ETH, I would probably sell the entire backline except Lindelof and Dalot.

Similarly Pogba, Matic are leaving anyway, invest in 2 quality midfielders among many options available, get Antony for RW and one of Nunez and Nknunku. Sell Martial.

For backline I would Ideally get DeLigt and Torres, if not than Timber and Nicka, get Lodi for LB and Mukiele for RB. Sell Henderson and get an experienced backup keeper for Degea, don't give DeGea a new contract, try finding a modern sweeper keeper meanwhile.

IrishMcD

Really? Bruno did nothing for us? There are quite a few players that can still play a role, if the tactics and mentality issues are resolved. Fred? McTominay? Elanga?
It’s my opinion, never said it was fact. But it’s how I feel. Bruno, don’t think he is world class or anywhere near it. Again personal opinion. I’d have no problem with Fred staying as squad rotational option. He has some decent qualities. But as for Elanga and McTominay, absolutely not. Two of the first I’d be showing the door too. There is no tactic that makes McTominay a quality midfielder. None. Elanga the same. I’m all for youth getting a chance but there are plenty in the youth set up better than Elanga. Again, just my personal opinion, but I think you’ll find the majority of fans feel the same way about McTom and quite a few do about Elanga as well. I’d love to have your enthusiasm and belief that they can still play a role. I absolutely don’t see it at all. Well below the quality needed at this club.

Revaulx

Whats interesting about this is Eric Steele said DDG had excellent distribution at one stage and it has gone downhill
I don’t remember it ever being “excellent“, but it certainly used to be ok and only really turned to crap on LvG’s sacking and Jose’s appointment. Jose just wanted the ball hoofed upfield as far and hard as possible; so what if we lost possession?

Ingrained habits die hard, but I don’t think it’s altogether beyond hope for ETH to get DDG to cut out the hoofing.

Jezpeza

I don’t remember it ever being “excellent“, but it certainly used to be ok and only really turned to crap on LvG’s sacking and Jose’s appointment. Jose just wanted the ball hoofed upfield as far and hard as possible; so what if we lost possession?

Ingrained habits die hard, but I don’t think it’s altogether beyond hope for ETH to get DDG to cut out the hoofing.
its all beside the point anyway. The bigger problem is we cant play out From the back against a press if Maguire, AWB, and Mcfred are in the starting 11 picture next season anyway. When i watch teams play out from the back, the keeper is mainly playing short ground passes, or the odd chipped ball to the wing. The idea of a ‘sweeper keeper’ needing to be peak pirlo on the ball is utter nonsense. I dont think DDG will have much problem with that, its what happens afterwards. And getting him to have the confidence in the new players (hopefully) to not hoof it

diarm

I wish he could read this or otherwise realise that almost the entire fanbase of this club is fed up with the players and will be behind all the coach's decisions next year, especially if they are to the detriment of the players.
I hope he will not try to be a nice guy and win the sympathy of the players, especially the senior players. I don't think a new coach of such a big club has ever had such a free hand (at least from the fans) in his decision making.
He has to be absolutely ruthless
For me, that's the entire purpose of Rangnick. If his role isn't to show Ten Hag how many of our squad are absolute spoofers and need to be shipped out, then his whole time at the club has been utterly pointless.

If he can get that point across, and Ten Hag can start with a base of serious players, without going through the same circus of giving lads who don't deserve it a chance to prove themselves again, then Rangnick will have been a successful appointment, regardless of his abject failings as a coach.

Revaulx

its all beside the point anyway. The bigger problem is we cant play out From the back against a press if Maguire, AWB, and Mcfred are in the starting 11 picture next season anyway. When i watch teams play out from the back, the keeper is mainly playing short ground passes, or the odd chipped ball to the wing. The idea of a ‘sweeper keeper’ needing to be peak pirlo on the ball is utter nonsense. I dont think DDG will have much problem with that, its what happens afterwards. And getting him to have the confidence in the new players (hopefully) to not hoof it
All true. Having Blind in front of you would make any keeper’s distribution job a simple one.

DSG

It’s my opinion, never said it was fact. But it’s how I feel. Bruno, don’t think he is world class or anywhere near it. Again personal opinion. I’d have no problem with Fred staying as squad rotational option. He has some decent qualities. But as for Elanga and McTominay, absolutely not. Two of the first I’d be showing the door too. There is no tactic that makes McTominay a quality midfielder. None. Elanga the same. I’m all for youth getting a chance but there are plenty in the youth set up better than Elanga. Again, just my personal opinion, but I think you’ll find the majority of fans feel the same way about McTom and quite a few do about Elanga as well. I’d love to have your enthusiasm and belief that they can still play a role. I absolutely don’t see it at all. Well below the quality needed at this club.
That’s a pretty extreme stance when we finished 2nd last season and Bruno was shortlisted as a candidate for Player of the Year. I get that it has been an extremely frustrating season, and Bruno was far from his best, but buying 22 players to build out a squad would cost a couple of billion pounds and take 8 transfer windows.

Every side must have decent players to fill out the squad, and they need to be relatively inexpensive to balance out the high wages and transfer costs of the “stars” that come in. While not starting 11 material, surely Elanga, Fred and McT are decent enough, that, when surrounded with better quality, can put in a shift when we are playing the likes of Norwich, Burnley and other bottom table sides.

Also, confused as to which youth players are already better than Elanga…?

Paul778

Sigh. This frustrated me so much. Bruno isn't up to it... He's a good player in a bad system in a dispirited team.

For the last few years we were playing solely counter attacking football and overachieving massively taking the approach. A lot of our players looked really good in that system.

Over time, teams realised that this was all we had. Various teams had successful strategies to stub this out, and we were increasingly playing against low blocks that we couldn't break down. For us to move forward as a team we had to change. We tried to change - the players weren't up to it.

These changes have been coming for a long time - Ole couldn't do it with a summer window behind him. Ralf definately couldn't do it with a discontented dressing room and no transfer budget. So here we are...

As usual it's always feast or famine. When we lose two games in a row we're the worst team on the planet, when we win two games in a row (if I recall) we're going to win the league.

Quinze

The squad needs a major shake up so he needs to be brutal enough to strip Maguire of the captaincy.