Rebuilding Real Madrid - how do you do it? | Buy well

izec

It is a massive job. I dont think they will be fine with buying 2 and selling 2. They need a player in every department and some good squad players. There are also plenty of players that want/need to leave. It is not a job for a year, they will need 2-3 years to rebuild and hope some youngsters turn out to be very good. They should have properly started in summer, but delayed the process for another season. They actually started to not buy much or wrongly when they were successful. Now they are paying the price for sleeping over the years.

Barcelona on the other hand have done it the right way, continuously improving the squad and buying top talents every summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I dont watch much Real Madrid since Sky lost the La Liga rights but this seems the obvious to me

Manager - Pochettino

Major Outs
Modric - Inter
Bale - To whomever is stupid enough to buy him

Major Ins
Eriksen
Hazard
Mbappe

-------------Courtois-------------
Carvajal--Varane--Ramos--Marcelo
-------------Casemiro-------------
-----Eriksen------------Kroos-----
Mbappe------Benzema------Hazard

gaucho_10

Pochettino will get the job. Bale, Marcelo and Isco will leave, maybe Kroos also. Brahim or Mariano will be sent on loan, Rodrygo will arrive from Brazil, we'll sign a striker, a CM, wide forward (Hazard or someone to play on the right) and a CB.

Bwuk

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lukaku go to Real

izec

I dont watch much Real Madrid since Sky lost the La Liga rights but this seems the obvious to me

Manager - Pochettino

Major Outs
Modric - Inter
Bale - To whomever is stupid enough to buy him

Major Ins
Eriksen
Hazard
Mbappe

-------------Courtois-------------
Carvajal--Varane--Ramos--Marcelo
-------------Casemiro-------------
-----Eriksen------------Kroos-----
Mbappe------Benzema------Hazard
They wont be able to buy 3 top players in one summer. I mean those 3 would cost them close to 500m. I can see hazard and Eriksen, but Mbappe or Neymar no chance. I also think they need another backup striker and CB. They wont rectify their squad issues in one summer if they target expensive top stars.

Vadim

They’d never put up with Allegri’s shit-on-a-stick football at the Bernabeu.

Klopp or Poch.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They wont be able to buy 3 top players in one summer. I mean those 3 would cost them close to 500m. I can see hazard and Eriksen, but Mbappe or Neymar no chance. I also think they need another backup striker and CB. They wont rectify their squad issues in one summer if they target expensive top stars.
£410m is what I have it at

Hazard 80m
Eriksen 80m
Mbappe 250m

Although with both Hazard and Eriksen in the final years of their contracts I have no idea if they've command that amount

izec

£410m is what I have it at

Hazard 80m
Eriksen 80m
Mbappe 250m

Although with both Hazard and Eriksen in the final years of their contracts I have no idea if they've command that amount
Well i calculated it in Euros. I think instead of Mbappe they will go out and buy 2 or 3 players for that money. A striker, CB and whatever they need.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I really, really, hope they go for Klopp. Just imagine the Rawk thread! :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
Reals problem

Courtois . not convincing
Carvajal - not brilliant but ok
Bale - 30 years old in the summer
Kroos . 29 years old
Marcelo -31 in the summer
Ramos - 33 years old
Benzema - 31 years old
Modric - 33 years old
Nacho - 29 years old
Isco - 27 years old

So basically you have 80% of the regulars that are 29-33 years old - and all the younger player have failed to step up consistently (like Asensio who still is a big talent but ….)

And Chelsea should be really careful - because they are close to ending in the same situation with basically 70% of their squad being 27-31 years old (Kante, Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Giroud, Luiz, Jorginho, Drinkwater, Cahill)

cathari

A new club president perhaps? Isn't that how they do it in Spain? Feel like Real experience these kind of spells: President, accelerate, win, win, win, deteriorate, President...

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Get rid of Courtois, Kroos, Marcelo, Modric, Bale, Benzema.

Sign Poch.

Sign Mbappé and young talent (Dortmund, Ajax, Lille, spanish Liga). If Mbappé impossible, then Kane + Hazard.

Last edited:

Siorac

If Madrid come calling, Klopp walks. It's simply a much bigger club and a once in a lifetime chance.
Is it though? They fire managers every couple of years. Rumours are circulating that Perez wants Mourinho back.

It might be a once in a lifetime chance for a 25-year-old player who, 5 years later, won't be wanted by Madrid anymore. But a coach? They can be patient.

Last edited:

Trizy

No ones gonna take Bale on €23m/year salary. Best of luck to them trying to get rid.

SER19

Get a dodgy foreign owner, spend more than any club ever and cheat the rules. That’s pretty much it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Varane, Kroos, Bale and Benzema need replacing. Don't pay stupid money to keep Modric. There's a dire need for a 3rd choice CB. Isco, Marcelo and Asensio to re-evaluate.

De Ligt, Militao and Eriksen are all available and should be a priority, along with a top top striker(ideally Kane, i'm also totally sold on Piatek)

But really, the most important thing is to get rid of Florentino and put somebody who's not obsessed with surpassing Bernabeu in his place

JSArsenal

Hmm. I'm not very familiar with La Liga starlets but I'm sure they are a few they could buy. I honestly would have sold Modric and Benzema last summer but what's done is done.

I don't think the Madrid fans would take to Pochettino. His Spurs teams don't play very attractive football, effective yes but that is about it. Perhaps he could adapt to Madrid's customary attacking style of play but Klopp would be a more natural fit IMO.

Sell:
Courtois
Marcelo
Modric
Kroos (I might keep Kroos)
Benzema
Isco

Buy:
De Gea (get in touch with his agent right now and tell him don't sign anything with United)
LB
De Ligt
Piatek
I don't think Eriksen is good enough for Madrid but it would weaken Spurs so yeah Eriksen.

All in all, they'll be fine regardless though. Its Real Madrid, players would walk on their hands over hot coals to play for them and unless a couple of La Liga clubs have a resurgence, they're guaranteed to be in the top 4 no matter what they do.

No one stays on top forever and Madrid are just going through a cycle. The same thing will happen to Juventus and Barcelona.

Their oldest players are still performing (Ramos and Modrić), but they risk running them into the ground if they continue to play the same amount of minutes next season. Kroos is coasting, nothing to do with age, he needs competition. Marcelo and Benzema have deteriorated and, at the very least, need to drop to the bench. The whole Bale thing is a total clusterfeck, he has to leave.

They need some fire power and some quality to contest with their underperforming established players. They don't need more youth projects.

Starting LB
CB to rotate with Ramos & Varane; Nacho is okay as 4th CB/3rd FB, but they shouldn't have to rely on him
CM to threaten Kroos (not the largely pointless Kovačić)
Top tier creative attacking player
Top tier CF

Any place for James? He's desperate for a return and would pretty much guarantee goals. With Ronaldo and Benzema out of the picture, they could even rebuild around him if they wanted.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Is it though? They fire managers every couple of years. Rumours are circulating that Perez wants Mourinho back.

It might be a once in a lifetime chance for a 25-year-old who, 5 years later, won't be wanted by Madrid anymore. But a coach? They can be patient.
I reckon if Klopp wins the league with Pool this season then he'd go.

If he didn't he might want to stay at Pool til he does.

Luke1995

It was always going to be tough without Ronaldo the same way United struggled in 2009-10.

What I would do for next season is sell Benzema and create an attack of Bale, Vinicius and the new boy Rodrygo based on pure pace and technique.

If Bale leaves, they should definitely try to buy Eden Hazard as he probably has two more prime seasons in him. If he is not attainable then Angel Di Maria is a good idea.

I'd keep Modric around because the technique and vision are still there, but not as an undisputed starter. he clearly hasn't got the legs of a few years ago and I was really surprised he was voted the best player in the world in 2018.

To think about selling Kroos is madness, even though he is not having his best season he is still easily their best passer and long range shooter. Kante could really help him shine if signed.

Marcelo needs to go, he is past his best and the new boy Reguillon looks like he's taking over.

So, i'd sell Marcelo and Benzema, buy Hazard/Di Maria, put Rodrygo to play with Vinicius and that's it.

Now, if Mourinho is the coach, forget everything I just said.

Luke1995

A James Rodriguez return with Mourinho likely wouldn't work since it didn't with Zidane who is an attacking coach. If it is someone else like Pocchettino or Klopp, absolutely yes, worth the try.

Too many unknowns at this point to talk with certainty though.

gaucho_10

People here would keep Kroos but sell Modric even after the game yesterday where Kroos was chilling as he usually does and 33 year old Modric was running for him and Casemiro. A sorry sight that was. Also the Mbappe signing, maybe in 3 years time but there's zero chance for signing him this summer.

Trophy Room

I think Mourinho will be good for what they want to achieve. He'll bring in some good players and at least for a couple of years be successful.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s great to see them floundering about. I know utd aren’t much better off but it’s still good to see.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
They will have a hell of a job on their hands now. A lot of ageing starters, some starters not good enough, a new manager incoming (again) and apart from perhaps a marquee signing they have too much to do all at once.

Today's market prices will hurt even them with so much to do. Don't suppose they have another training ground to sell to the government either.

RU Devil

Bring in a DOF, maybe Zidane or Arsene. Will never happen as Flo can't let go of the reins, but that move would stabilize & set priorities properly.

Actually think they have a lot of good parts to work with but they are totally dysfunctional due to all the managerial flux. A few good transfers in probably gets them back humming, especially with the right manager. Don't think Jose would be popular with the masses, while not sure Poch really wants the bother. Tuchel?

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Varane, Kroos, Bale and Benzema need replacing. Don't pay stupid money to keep Modric. There's a dire need for a 3rd choice CB. Isco, Marcelo and Asensio to re-evaluate.

De Ligt, Militao and Eriksen are all available and should be a priority, along with a top top striker(ideally Kane, i'm also totally sold on Piatek)

But really, the most important thing is to get rid of Florentino and put somebody who's not obsessed with surpassing Bernabeu in his place
Isn't Benezema doing well for you guys this season? Varane and Kroos are still young. Only one you should sell is Bale but no one can afford his salary.

I think Florentino Perez has been a very good President for you guys. Any club will suffer with the best manager and player leaving at the same time. What you are experiencing is what we experienced after Sir Alex Ferguson left.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No need to change a lot of things.

3-4 new players are largely sufficient to refresh the team.

Top priority
: a new offensive leader

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If Real Madrid is looking to rebuild, then I don't understand why they would want Hazard. He's a great player, but he's closer to 30 than he is 25. Sure, he still has a couple good years in him, but for me, he's the kind of player you would buy if you just have one hole to fill and they obviously have a few...

Revan

Assumptionman
Mourinho back in.

Get Hazard, Sandro, Icardi and Salah. Recall James.

Ship off Bale, Marcelo, Modric, Mariano and Benzema.

Courtois
Carvajal - Varane - Ramos - Sandro
Casemiro - Kroos
James
Salah - Icardi - Hazard

Subs: Navas, Odriozola, Nacho, Cabellos, Isco, Vinicius.
The attack alone would cost half a billion.

JohnnyKills

It's the end of the 10-year Madrid cycle isn't it.

1999-2001 - they had an ageing team so brought in Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo to shake things up.
2009-2011 - they had an ageing team so brought in C Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema to shake things up.

Maybe this is Florentino's plan: go on a mad spending spree every 10 years, buy loads of superstars all at once to establish dominance then sit back.

The problem is there aren't too many gettable superstars for them this year. The emergence of City and PSG means the market is so much more competitive and the power of the PL means there's no need for English clubs to sell.

Which big-name star can they actually buy? Mbappe, De Jong, Griezmann, De Bruyne, Neymar, Sane and Dembele are all off-limits for various reasons. Can't see Pogba going there either.

If they're looking for a mega-signing, the only feasible options are Hazard, Kane and Salah. Doubt they'll get all three though.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The squad is not bad, but half the starting eleven should change: one CB (someone more reliable than Nacho to compete with Ramos and Varane), a LB (the media talks about Junior Firpo), one midfielder and two very good forwards.

Maybe something like:

Militao, Junior Firpo, Eriksen, Hazard, Jovic.

Of course it will be different, but the idea should be something like that.

kthanksbye

Can't be winning and making UCL finals anymore without Ronaldo, will still be a European heavyweight with the right manager and a couple of players.
Domestically, wait for Messi to retire.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pochettino will get the job. Bale, Marcelo and Isco will leave, maybe Kroos also. Brahim or Mariano will be sent on loan, Rodrygo will arrive from Brazil, we'll sign a striker, a CM, wide forward (Hazard or someone to play on the right) and a CB.
Which means another summer of speculative "Bale to United" media reports. Great.

Can't you just keep him until he chooses to retire?