Rebuilding Real Madrid - how do you do it? | Buy well

gaucho_10

Which means another summer of speculative "Bale to United" media reports. Great.

Can't you just keep him until he chooses to retire?
Fine with me as long as I don't see him on the squad list. It's not my money after all.

AfroBuffalo

If they get Mourinho as manager it will be great for us; won't be able to poach the players that played under him here.

I think Salah or Mane will be targets for them

Inter Yer Nan

I think they'll go for Mourinho though I think Tuchel or Klopp would be a better fit.

I think it will take them two summers. They need a 2009 style summer where they just flop their dong out and flex their muscles. I still think they are likely obsessed over Mbappe and Neymar but perhaps those two are unattainable for now so then you look to Salah and Hazard. I suspect Hazard can be got but perhaps Salah they need a year of tapping up and media pressure. Eriksen seems a natural as his contract is winding down as are Modric's days. Maybe they'll sign Icardi, but I personally wouldn't given that your locker room immediately becomes worse and more distracted.

I think the 2020 summer would be for sensible signings like a new center back, a new left back and then probably Salah to top it off. Then again between Hazard, Salah, Eriksen, Icardi you are talking $600m roughly plus squad players. Can they splash that out? I mean they aren't a terrible side and there is talent still there but I think so much has gone stale there that they need a more serious re-vamp than what sides with less talent would.

Enigma_87

You know who
They have aging squad that has won everything and probably lacks hunger at the moment. Need a good manager and serious investment in key positions.

Hazard + goalscorer should probably be their priority. They lack a talisman in attack since Cristiano left.

Kroos is terribly out of form, Modric still has it in him but again the chemistry in midfield isn't there. Signing another CB in the Koulibaly or VVD (hopefully the latter) will do them a lot of good, becoming more solid at the back.

OoopsMisclick

why do people want to sell courtois? Because of a bad game?

It's still his first season. I guess we should have sold de gea after his first season

Enigma_87

You know who

It's still his first season. I guess we should have sold de gea after his first season
THey won't. He's still one of the best keepers around and they need to reinforce in other positions first. Courtois will be there for a long time.

Champagne Football

Unai Emery would be a good fit. He could bring in the likes of

Neymar
Koulibaly
Tanguy Ndombele
Eriksen
Houssem Aouar
Lewandowski

Add that to their wonder kids emerging like Brahim Diaz and Vinicius Jr and they'll be back on track quickly

Manny

Grammar Police
- Unsettle as many players as you can
- Talk about 'projects'
- Get Guillam Balague back on the payroll
- Smash the world transfer record

Revan

Assumptionman
They have it though. They will manage to get 80-100m for Bale.
Unless Ed has gone nuts or full sabotage mode, they will be lucky to get 50m from Bale. A past it, injury prone player who is in 30m+ per week won't go for much money.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

De Gea was a kid in his first season at United, while Courtois is in his prime.

It's just simple association. Navas was the keeper when they won stuff, and now they're doing bad, Courtois is the keeper.

(Courtois is a better keeper than Navas, and there's no way Real should or will get rid)

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
No one will pay a penny transfer fee with the wages he is on. Absolute liability between his injuries and wages.

cathari

It's the end of the 10-year Madrid cycle isn't it.
Exactly this. It's almost like they haven't been paying attention the past few years. I mean, they could have planned Ronaldo's exit a whole lot better with Bale never developing into that galactico for them. And, when they have been making okay to good signings, the competition made bigger and more impactful ones. So in hindsight, it was pretty much inevitable that their competitors caught up with them.

Guess they need what we have been needing for a while - the right manager and the right sport director (to ensure longevity). They have a great squad already in place but need that extra something if they are to regain their past level.

JohnnyKills

Exactly this. It's almost like they haven't been paying attention the past few years. I mean, they could have planned Ronaldo's exit a whole lot better with Bale never developing into that galactico for them. And, when they have been making okay to good signings, the competition made bigger and more impactful ones. So in hindsight, it was pretty much inevitable that their competitors caught up with them.

Guess they need what we have been needing for a while - the right manager and the right sport director (to ensure longevity). They have a great squad already in place but need that extra something if they are to regain their past level.
I think they have a massive task ahead.

In the past they could just sweep into the market whenever they wanted and pluck out the most glittering players. But now they have to outbid City and PSG, not to mention Barca and United, who have eclipsed them commercially.

It could be a rocky few years for them. If I was Pochettino I would stay at Spurs.

JohnnyKills

They have it though. They will manage to get 80-100m for Bale.
Can't see that happening.

Who will even want Bale? Maybe Mourinho would have been short-sighted enough to take him but he's well out of the picture now. Can see him seeing out his contract and going somewhere on a free.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Obviously the best way for them to rebuild would be to get Ole behind the wheel.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People here would keep Kroos but sell Modric even after the game yesterday where Kroos was chilling as he usually does and 33 year old Modric was running for him and Casemiro. A sorry sight that was. Also the Mbappe signing, maybe in 3 years time but there's zero chance for signing him this summer.
That's because people decided that age was the issue. Personally, I think that it's a matter of fit and how the piece go together or in that case don't go together, without Ronaldo your midfield requires more dynamism and your attack need more creativity, speed and the goals need to spread around. Basically do what you didn't when Ronaldo was the centerpiece.

Gasolin

Do we need to rebuild them? Let them go through a hard patch for several years, no?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Seen a few suggestions that they should sell Kroos. I don’t watch Madrid often, but just last year he was considered maybe the best mf in the world and it isn’t like he’s nearing retirement. Surely he’s just in need of a decent manager and new inspiration. Same goes for the rest of them really, well apart from Bale who they won’t be able to get rid of anyway because he prefers his wages over being relevant in football. I don’t think I blame him, though.

I’m sure Mourinho will be back and bring with him Hazard, a new striker and someone to eventually take over from Modric.

JSArsenal

I’m sure Mourinho will be back and bring with him Hazard
I wouldn't touch Hazard if I was Madrid. If Hazard can down tools every other season at Chelsea to get a manager sacked, imagine what nonsense he would pull at Madrid?

They are the poster club for dressing room dramas and players getting the manager sacked.

NoPace

Madrid don't do things half ass. They'll sell Bale, Benzema, Theo, Marcelo and Modric to recoup money or at least cut wages and spend 400M on something like Eriksen, Hazard, Telles, a 9 and De Ligt. I don't think Hazard, Telles or De Ligt will even be that hard for them, though identifying a 9 (it's a bit barren out there) and getting Eriksen will be tougher so maybe that new CM is Havertz or Ndombele or Verratti or someone else.

Hazard/Vinicius---------9/Diaz--------Asensio/Vazquez
--------------------------------Eriksen/Isco-----------------
---------------Kroos/Kovacic---------------------------------
------------------------Casemiro/Llorente-------------------
Telles/Regulon------------------------------Carvajal/Hakimi
-------------Varane/Nacho----DeLigt/Ramos---------------
----------------------Courtois/Navas-------------------------

That's a hell of a team again with Hazard, Kroos, Casemiro and Carvajal as the still performing at a high level veterans in their late 20s surrounded by guys in their mid 20s prime (Courtois, Eriksen, Varane, Telles) and prodigies ready to blossom into world class players (Asensio, De Ligt) and whatever 9 they get to replace Benzema who can score more than 11 goals in 26 league starts.

fellaini's barber

I've never understood the use of the word 'rebuild' with football clubs, especially the big ones. What mess could they ever be in that one or two windows with 4-6 new players can't solve?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Seen a few suggestions that they should sell Kroos. I don’t watch Madrid often, but just last year he was considered maybe the best mf in the world and it isn’t like he’s nearing retirement. Surely he’s just in need of a decent manager and new inspiration. Same goes for the rest of them really, well apart from Bale who they won’t be able to get rid of anyway because he prefers his wages over being relevant in football. I don’t think I blame him, though.

I’m sure Mourinho will be back and bring with him Hazard, a new striker and someone to eventually take over from Modric.
Not sure, but i dont think those two left on the best of terms when Jose was sacked from Chelsea the second time. Except Zlatan, does Jose really have good relations with any player these days? He has burned an awful lot of bridges the last couple of years and i'm pretty sure not everyone at Madrid would welcome him back either

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
It's the end of the 10-year Madrid cycle isn't it.

1999-2001 - they had an ageing team so brought in Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo to shake things up.
2009-2011 - they had an ageing team so brought in C Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema to shake things up.

Maybe this is Florentino's plan: go on a mad spending spree every 10 years, buy loads of superstars all at once to establish dominance then sit back.

The problem is there aren't too many gettable superstars for them this year. The emergence of City and PSG means the market is so much more competitive and the power of the PL means there's no need for English clubs to sell.

Which big-name star can they actually buy? Mbappe, De Jong, Griezmann, De Bruyne, Neymar, Sane and Dembele are all off-limits for various reasons. Can't see Pogba going there either.

If they're looking for a mega-signing, the only feasible options are Hazard, Kane and Salah. Doubt they'll get all three though.
There team is seriously old now. It's like when Liverpool fell off in the early 90s and United when Fergie left. All the best players are old. Liverpool completely pressed them off the park in the CL Final and now they don't have their saviour.

Do they have the same power in the transfer market since the introduction of financial doping and them no longer being state sanctioned? The lack of investment in recent years suggests maybe not.

Realistically they could probably land a few from Eriksson, Sancho, Thiago, Rabiot, Fekir, Reus and maybe Salah and/or Kane. As good as they are that's all kind of underwhelming compared to Zidane, Kaka and The Ronaldos.

They simply can't go out and buy the best player in the world any more. They can't get Mbappe or Neymar and obviously can't get Messi.

The cheat mode they had running for a long time has expired. And if they bring Mourinho in as everyone on here knows they'll regress.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The first part of the plan, which does not depend on the coach is to find someone desperate enough to sign Bale.
After that, we would have to talk with Mbappé´s father and convince him that his son needs new challenges.
PSG will want something in return. I would consider selling Casemiro or Kroos.
If that does not work, we'll have to go to Levy, who will ask for an exorbitant and unattainable figure on any player.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
The first part of the plan, which does not depend on the coach is to find someone desperate enough to sign Bale.
After that, we would have to talk with Mbappé´s father and convince him that his son needs new challenges.
PSG will want something in return. I would consider selling Casemiro or Kroos.
If that does not work, we'll have to go to Levy, who will ask for an exorbitant and unattainable figure on any player.
PSG won't sell Mbappe in a million years

Wallez

Out: Bale, James, Keylor Navas, Marcelo, Mariano
This would raise quite a bit of money, and clear a huge chunk of their transfer budget.

In: Cheap backup goalkeeper, Alex Sandro, Hazard, Icardi

Team (backup)
Courtois (New?)
Carvajal (Odriozola) - Ramos (Vallejo) - Varane (Nacho) - Alex Sandro (Requilon)
Modric (Ceballos) - Casemiro (Llorente) - Kroos (Valverde)
Vinicius (Vazquez) - Icardi (Benzema) - Hazard (Rodrygo)

Not sure about the wing positions, as Vinicius mainly have played to the left. However, I am pretty sure that Hazard will join them this summer, and Vinicius will probably play as he have shown good potential and is a prestige project for them. If they are going full out crazy in the transfer market they may add Eriksen to compete with Modric and as a long-term replacement. A right winger may be added as well to reduce the pressure on Vinicius and Rodrygo.

MrEleson

Out: Bale, James, Keylor Navas, Marcelo, Mariano
This would raise quite a bit of money, and clear a huge chunk of their transfer budget.

In: Cheap backup goalkeeper, Alex Sandro, Hazard, Icardi

Team (backup)
Courtois (New?)
Carvajal (Odriozola) - Ramos (Vallejo) - Varane (Nacho) - Alex Sandro (Requilon)
Modric (Ceballos) - Casemiro (Llorente) - Kroos (Valverde)
Vinicius (Vazquez) - Icardi (Benzema) - Hazard (Rodrygo)

Not sure about the wing positions, as Vinicius mainly have played to the left. However, I am pretty sure that Hazard will join them this summer, and Vinicius will probably play as he have shown good potential and is a prestige project for them. If they are going full out crazy in the transfer market they may add Eriksen to compete with Modric and as a long-term replacement. A right winger may be added as well to reduce the pressure on Vinicius and Rodrygo.
Based on this season’s form, Alex Sandro wouldn’t be an improvement on Marcelo at all as he’s been pretty awful for Juve. He’s 27-28 too and Brazilian so we could’ve even already seen the best of him. Left back is probably the area of least concern for Madrid as they have reguillon there who is very promising and they still have achraf hakimi on loan to Dortmund. Also, I doubt they’d sign Icardi but I agree on the departures and the Hazard purchase. I think they might sign a young striker like Jovic if they fail to get Mbappe and then maybe Eriksen from Spurs who like Hazard, only has one year left of his contract.