Recent player improvement - who wins the prize?

simplyared

Obviously a main ingredient regarding recent results and positivity. Which players (in order) would you say have had the most progressive form curve?
Going on the general feeling on the Caf anyway, I expect to see Freds name mentioned. However I reckon another player who probably has taken more stick on here than any other, deserves the prize:

1. Lingard
2. Lindelöf
3. Fred (still has a lot to do though imv)
4. James (he’s been good all season, but continues improving)

Rashford imv has been brilliant for a while now so I wouldn’t put him on the list.

Utdstar01

Obviously a main ingredient regarding recent results and positivity. Which players (in order) would you say have had the most progressive form curve?
Going on the general feeling on the Caf anyway, I expect to see Freds name mentioned. However I reckon another player who probably has taken more stick on here than any other, deserves the prize:

1. Lingard
2. Lindelöf

Rashford imv has been brilliant for a while now so I wouldn’t put him on the list.
Lingard? For having one decent game?

simplyared

Lingard? For having one decent game?
It's enough to see his last 2 performances to see he's a different player. In those games alone his contribution has certainly had an impact. Mainly down to his movement going forward. Playing with confidence and proving his worth as a good AM. A demanding role but he's taken it on and doing well.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The scrutiny on Lingard is ridiculous. Gets criticised after having two good games vs Spurs and City whilst the same people are quick to make excuses for Gomes, Chong etc. when they have shit games against rubbish opposition.

simplyared

In what way has Lingard improved?!

Shocking to even suggest it.
It's as easy as feck to pass the ball sideways and backwards which a lot of players do. Lingard is playing as an attacking mf and taking on the roll very good imo. His movement has developed, his workrate has improved, he's looking to create chances, he's getting himself into dangerous positions and linking up a lot better with the attacking players. He needs to score more obviously but I'm sure he'll be working on that.

OleTheGreat

1) Mctominay- he's tightened up our midfield and i guess that's probably why we missed him badly against Sheffield and Aston Villa and probably why we couldn't win those games.
2) Fred- he has really turned the corner. Has been playing very good football in our midfield, closing players and interrupting plays.
3) James- our most active player on the pitch. He has been one player who has worked cats and dogs since the beginning of the season and imo he's been the player who deserves the place in our starting XI at least for a while into the future.

manc4red

Lingard. And it is 100% due to his mindset. He is actually hustling for the ball and trying to make plays now. Even bagged some goals. Time will tell if he actually changes but right now even his worst critics cant say he doesnt deserve the chance on the team he is getting

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fred has gone from looking like he's never played football before to looking like he can actually cut it at Premier League level so it surely has to be him.

Young has also improved by virtue of being on the bench instead of the pitch where he has proven much more useful to the team.

RedIan

James hit the ground running-
Most improved this season mctominay...In recent games id say Fred, gone from hopeless to decent...
Lingard is a good player just needs confidence and the armchairs off his back.. much improved last 2 games.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The scrutiny on Lingard is ridiculous. Gets criticised after having two good games vs Spurs and City whilst the same people are quick to make excuses for Gomes, Chong etc. when they have shit games against rubbish opposition.
If only there was a reason to judge Lingard, Gomes & Chong by a different standard...

DoomSlayer

In terms of overall improvement, it has to be Fred. It's great that he is proving me wrong after I slated him in the summer for the wedding shenanigans.

Lingard is simply finding his form again, which is also good for our club, though I could never be a big fan of his, but I don't mind him as a squad player if he keeps it up.

King Andow

2 average games and 30 bad ones. He's been awful for ages, the youngsters never got a run of games in the first team, not fair at all.

DVG7

Lindelof at number 2 is way more controversial than Lingard at 1. I’d have him out the squad before any of the others you mention, he’s not good enough and doesn’t compliment Maguire at all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fred’s had a good improvement, he’s a nice foil to McTominay. While he was settling in he looked like a pub player now I’m thrilled when I see he and Scott on the team sheet. Personally, I already thought McTominay was starting to look a proper player before the end of last season anyway.

Lingard’s looking better, he’s always been a much better player when he doesn’t hide from possession.

James is surprising me endlessly with what he has in his arsenal, I was led to believe he was some pace merchant but he’s a lot better technically that I thought and he has a very nice shot and cross on him.

Rashford’s definitely the most improved though, he looks like he’s going to score every time he gets the ball and he’s got so many dimensions to his game.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Clearly Fred has raised his game a level in recent weeks. McTominay and Rashford have been elevated their form up a tier since last season.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1. McTominay with his progress.
2. Fred settling.
3. Rashford finding form again.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The basis of the thread is a good one but mentioning Lingard after 2 half decent games after a year or more of mediocrity is typical caf to be honest.

James Is still one of our most important players but I don't think he's improved from the start of the season.

McT is an important player as we've seen with his absence against Sheffield and Villa. He seems to be improving so he's in with a shout.

Fred after a run of games is finally showing he could be a good footballer. I'd have him as my second choice because for the last couple of months he seems to be improving on a regular basis.

Rashford. For me the most improved. Had his quiet games but on the whole he's a different player from last year. Shows up against the big teams and has been unplayable in others. Just looking at his stats should make him the clear winner.

Special shout out to Lindelof. Hasn't been spectacular but seems to be cutting a lot of stupid mistakes out of his game so a slight improvement there.

Tarrou

I mean Fred is obviously the most improved player

Lots of improving players recently though, which is great to see

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would go with this season vs last season.

1. Rashford - Our biggest goal threat and having very good season.
2. McT - One of the key players in this team. Very important for both attack, midfield and defense. He has become such a good box to box player.
3. Fred - Struggled a lot last season and at the start of this season but he has really stepped up. He is one of the reason why our counter attacking is very good.

Wont name Martial as he was injured a lot and we have already seen his good Martial before.

podurban2

I would go with this season vs last season.

1. Rashford - Our biggest goal threat and having very good season.
2. McT - One of the key players in this team. Very important for both attack, midfield and defense. He has become such a good box to box player.
3. Fred - Struggled a lot last season and at the start of this season but he has really stepped up. He is one of the reason why our counter attacking is very good.

Wont name Martial as he was injured a lot and we have already seen his good Martial before.
This.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lingard's improvement is only because of how terrible he was for the first few months of the season. He's only showing signs of getting back to the form that he's had for most of the last couple of years, which has been better than any of his competitors at the club but still not exactly great. Hopefully it does continue though as he is better than Mata and Pereira when he's in form.

I'm not even sure how Lindelof has improved? Maybe he's been slightly better the last month than he was earlier in the season, but he was better last season.

Fred has been on a steady improvement all season (not counting the recent couple of games where he was almost literally a one man midfield, but even then he was one of our better players on the day). That's culminated in his last couple of games where he's arguably been MoM in both, but his rate of improvement has been quite steady.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Scott McTominay, as the others had some pedigree before at least, so ‘improvement’ may be a bit strong (more improved form), whereas Scott was looking like a competition winner when he first came into the squad. He’s now a good player and an important part of our midfield currently.

SAFMUTD

It may be due to the fact that Lingard is 26 years old and has played 100+ games in EPL while Chong and Gomes are youngsters?

RAVred

2 average games and 30 bad ones. He's been awful for ages, the youngsters never got a run of games in the first team, not fair at all.
I have no idea how people can defend lingard at this point or think hes worth keeping at Utd as anything more than a two-bit squad player.

People bag on Perreira all the time and Lingard is not much better at all... Perreira if given time would almost certainly be the same 'quality' in a year or two, so do we keep him? Lingard wouldnt start for west ham probably and most teams in the Prem, and probably wouldnt even come off the bench in majority of games.

We havent really improved at all to merit this kind of thread, because we've had two good games... At least need a string of results to merit this sort of thread, but if we really want to bite it would probably be Fred

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think i'd rank them like this: McTominay, Fred, Rashford

Valencia Shin Crosses

Definitely not Lingard, good lord. I'd say Rashford, he's looked like the best player on the pitch in successive games against Spurs and City, and has been so much better with his playmaking and chance creation from the wing this year, as opposed to looking like a kick and run merchant that could bag a few goals like he would in the past from that position.

Honorable mention would be McT, as when he first came up under Mourinho he just seemed like the headless chicken version of Matic, but he's so much better all around nowadays. Fred I always thought had it in him, just seemed like a guy lacking confidence.

SAFMUTD

McTominay by far since he was considered a limited youngster and he has settled himself as one of the first names in the starting XI. It seems his level is not just a patch and will only get better and better.

Fred has been great for a couple of weeks now, but he should maintain that level before taking for granted that he has improved, if he can do it then I will be the greatest surprise since the jump in level is unbelievable.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As it stands for me in December, McTominay over everyone. Building his form from beginning of the season and looks like injury won't stop him from reaching new heights. Most stable midfield option in a very long time... especially after Herrera going bye bye.

When it comes to single biggest spike in form it's definitely Rahsford with his Ronnie moments in matches vs strong opponents. When he's good, he's more than good.

Fred finally catched his his Shakhtar drift and heading for a first squad pehaps even for next season, too if he keeps it. There's always feeling he can do better, so there's still some improving curve ahead of him to reach.

Lindelof is a difficult one, it's all in the same time, bad moments intelacing with few very good recently, but it's still positive thing to watch.

Lingard... It's December and we should never forsake the search for attacking midfielder. Let's see if the lad can transgress beyond his usual standard which should be always high in a team like United. Last two matches gives a good option to use so it's an improvement.

neilv93

McTominay is my Player of the Year so far, so has to be him. Rashford a close second as he legitimately looks like the fast, threatening dangerman we often hear he 'could' be.

Fred is improving more and more every game and that's great to see. However, when Pogba is fit he's probably the one that sits on the bench (given Pogba likely won't play behind Martial like Mata, Lingard and Pereira).

RedCurry

While Fred has improved a lot, I think Rashford raising his game has improved us the most. There's no substitute in football for a attacking player who can score goals.

LeeSharpeShuffle

13 goals in his last 14 games for United & England, has to be Rashford. Coming of age, looks unplayable at times, although he needs to lose that woolly hat in my opinion

Hughie77

1. Lingard
2. Lindelöf

Agree with them, can see more improvement coming from Mctom, as well