Gaming Recommend me a video game!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Not played Subnautica but I've heard it's great. How's the forest ?
Hasn't it got a single player campaign?
I haven’t checked in on it recently for any additions, but it is an interesting single or multi-player survival/horror if it’s on the cheap. And yes on the 2nd question. It does have a story.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dunno if your laptop can run it, but Ive recently started playing Xcom 2 again. It's a endless amount of fun if you're into that sort of thing.

DoomSlayer

Dunno if your laptop can run it, but Ive recently started playing Xcom 2 again. It's a endless amount of fun if you're into that sort of thing.
Similarly fun game, but for fans of the Gears of War franchise, is Gears Tactics. Fantastic game and very unexpected when it released, since it isn't the usual AAA type of Gears game we usually see.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I haven’t checked in on it recently for any additions, but it is an interesting single or multi-player survival/horror if it’s on the cheap. And yes on the 2nd question. It does have a story.
I don't think I've ever played a proper survival game as the likes of RE aren't really that.

But I'm thinking I'll go for The Forest and Metro. Something different. I do really want to play TLOU but talk of the basic gameplay (like the previous one) makes me want to hold off for a bit. Got 4 holidays coming up to sink into these 2 games (although I'm sure gaming time will be limited!).

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I don't think I've ever played a proper survival game as the likes of RE aren't really that.

But I'm thinking I'll go for The Forest and Metro. Something different. I do really want to play TLOU but talk of the basic gameplay (like the previous one) makes me want to hold off for a bit. Got 4 holidays coming up to sink into these 2 games (although I'm sure gaming time will be limited!).
If you're looking for a survival game check out darkwood, the atmosphere there is amazing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you're looking for a survival game check out darkwood, the atmosphere there is amazing.
Tbh you never know till you try these games. For example I don't think strategy games like Xcom or turn based combat are my thing. So let's see if crafting/surviving is.

Meller

Since it's impossible to get a PS5 I'm going to need a new PS4 game as I'm just about to finish God of War.
I'm looking for a shooter really, single player. Could be anything with guns since I'm kinda sick of swords/axes after playing TW3, Skyrim and now God of War lately. I don't care how old it is.

I've played GTA 5 and Metro lately but not a huge fan of either. Is RDR2 any good? To be honest I'd like a 'modern' shooter but not sure if there's any good ones around?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Since it's impossible to get a PS5 I'm going to need a new PS4 game as I'm just about to finish God of War.
I'm looking for a shooter really, single player. Could be anything with guns since I'm kinda sick of swords/axes after playing TW3, Skyrim and now God of War lately. I don't care how old it is.

I've played GTA 5 and Metro lately but not a huge fan of either. Is RDR2 any good? To be honest I'd like a 'modern' shooter but not sure if there's any good ones around?
What do you think?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

RDR2 is an excellent game, but demands a heavy time investment.

I recently bought Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I loved Ghost Recon Wildlands, and was going to buy this when it launched, but they added a loot-based element to the game that I didn't think fit it (it works in The Division, but not here). Fortunately, they added a patch that enables you to choose how you play the game; you can have loot and gear levels, or you can play without that element – so whilst there are different guns you can choose between, there aren't different 'levels' of the same gun.

So the game is an open-world shooter that you can play solo, co-op with friends, or co-op with AI teammates. There is a lot of flexibility how you approach missions and a lot of content in the game.

And, it's only £7.79 (down from £59.99) on the PS Store! (This price only lasts until Wednesday). :)

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0001-CUSA14390_00-GRW2SCEENORMAL00

Meller

What do you think?
Well yes sure, but as a shooter? And I didn't like GTA 5 that much so don't want to play GTA 5 in the desert.
RDR2 is an excellent game, but demands a heavy time investment.

I recently bought Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I loved Ghost Recon Wildlands, and was going to buy this when it launched, but they added a loot-based element to the game that I didn't think fit it (it works in The Division, but not here). Fortunately, they added a patch that enables you to choose how you play the game; you can have loot and gear levels, or you can play without that element – so whilst there are different guns you can choose between, there aren't different 'levels' of the same gun.

So the game is an open-world shooter that you can play solo, co-op with friends, or co-op with AI teammates. There is a lot of flexibility how you approach missions and a lot of content in the game.

And, it's only £7.79 (down from £59.99) on the PS Store! (This price only lasts until Wednesday). :)

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0001-CUSA14390_00-GRW2SCEENORMAL00
Sounds like a fun game but got a bit put off reading reviews. Most seem to think it's a pretty awful game?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Most grand strategies game arent demanding pc wise. And they're turn based so no rush

Civilisation series
Europa universalis
Crusader kings
Romance of the three kingdom
Simcity
Jagged alliance

They're oldies goodies so price should be cheap.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Well yes sure, but as a shooter? And I didn't like GTA 5 that much so don't want to play GTA 5 in the desert.

Sounds like a fun game but got a bit put off reading reviews. Most seem to think it's a pretty awful game?
The initial reviews were not good because the developers lost sight of what kind of game it was. They took the original, then tried to add in looter elements which didn't fit this type of game. So would make sure any reviews you read are post-update.

The lesson of Ghost Recon Breakpoint is clear: not every game needs to be an RPG.
I've been mostly fine with the shift in Assassin's Creed—though there's room for something like the earlier entries in the series—but at some point, Ubisoft has to realize the open-world RPG model can't be applied to everything; Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, The Division, and Far Cry need some differentiation. Meanwhile, 2017's Ghost Recon Wildlands managed to find a sweet spot between its military shooter roots and an arcade-style open world adventure.

"Ghost Recon Breakpoint doesn't have a clear vision of what it wants to be," I wrote at the beginning of my review last year. In trying to replicate the RPG-driven success of Assassin's Creed Origins and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Ubisoft Paris made a game that appealed to no one. The military fans were unhappy with the addition of gear score and loot, and the RPG adventure fans decried the lack of narrative player choice. And so Ubisoft, once again, had to knuckle down and try to drastically overhaul one of its games. The publisher has built trust by committing to and improving games like The Division 2, Rainbow Six Siege, and For Honor, but they probably shouldn't launch in such a state to begin with.

Eight months out from launch, Ubisoft Paris has delivered the Ghost Experience, known to most in the community as "Immersive Mode." It's not a single on-off switch that changes Ghost Recon Breakpoint from its loot-based launch experience into something more like the survival-focused game marketed to players; that option is available if you don't want to dive into menus. Instead, it's a whole host of options, opening up Breakpoint to players and letting them choose how they play the game.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ghost-recon-breakpoints-immersive-mode-is-better-but-it-still-lags-behind-wildlands#:~:text=Eight months out from launch,game marketed to players; that

I really like it – and for the price it is a bargain.

Meller

The initial reviews were not good because the developers lost sight of what kind of game it was. They took the original, then tried to add in looter elements which didn't fit this type of game. So would make sure any reviews you read are post-update.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ghost-recon-breakpoints-immersive-mode-is-better-but-it-still-lags-behind-wildlands#:~:text=Eight months out from launch,game marketed to players; that

I really like it – and for the price it is a bargain.
Alright I'll take your word for it, just bought it and it was very cheap indeed.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I just picked breakpoint up in the sale last night too, for the price, feck it! I'll get my worth out of it

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What do you think?
No need to be a dick.

Obviously it's good ffs are you high?

OleBoiii

So a few things have changed since I made this thread. Firstly, I've run through a lot of indie games and shorter games in general. Here are some of them: The Witness, The Talos Principle, INSIDE, LIMBO, GTA V, SOMA, Stardew Valley, Ori and the Blind Forest, The Turing Test etc. Secondly, I got a decent PC now, so I can pretty much run any game. Thirdly, I have an Xbox controller now, so that also opens up more possibilities.

So here are my new priorities:

Must:
- Be a PC game
- Be fun on single-player(i.e. no need for communication, even if it's online)
- Not be strategy/point-and-click games(think Civilization etc)

Preferably:
- Not super short
- Not RPG (Stardew Valley was OK, though)
- Not expensive(40 dollars +). If it's both long and fun you can look past this point.

Favorite PC games:
Counter Strike, Portal 1 and 2, The Witness, The Talos Principle

Games that I've enjoyed at least a little:
Ori and the Blind Forest, SOMA, Stardew Valley, INSIDE

diarm

Ah, I've heard good things about that game. I might give it a go! :)

Is it long(30 hours+)?
I have around 20 hours played and I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. Better players than me will obviously be quicker but I'd be shocked if anyone is getting less than 30 hours out of it. I feel like it ticks all of the 6 priorities you listed above and I'm loving it at the moment, even if it does make me feel like throwing the controller through the window at times!

Siorac

Most grand strategies game arent demanding pc wise. And they're turn based so no rush

Civilisation series
Europa universalis
Crusader kings
Romance of the three kingdom
Simcity
Jagged alliance

They're oldies goodies so price should be cheap.
Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Sim City aren't turn-based.