Other Recommend some good stand-up comedians

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I've started watching a lot of stand-up over the last year or so, not least because I've discovered it's a very good way to maintain your mental health. I work as a counsellor, so during my working day I'm more or less immersed in other people's misery. As a result, it's important for me immerse in some more joyous things outside of work; otherwise it will probably only be a matter of time before I'm found arse-out on the streets of Melbourne, smearing my name on the footpath using my own shit.

I tend to like dark humour and comedians with a bit of an edge, but open to all sorts. Existing favourites include Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, and Louis CK; who might actually be the king of all comedians.

I also like Kevin Bridges's good-natured lad humour, and surrealists like Steven Wright and the Aussie comedian Sam Simmons. I like some Stewart Lee when he's on form but have find him annoyingly self-indulgent and pompous when he's not.

Send me some new suggestions, cnuts; it's my fecking mental health on the line!

Last edited:

Oldyella

George Carlin.
Yeah hes brilliant. Him, Stewart Lee who you have already mentioned, Ross Noble, early Eddie Izzard, Bill Hicks and Hannibal Buress are some of my favourites.

I find stand up very relaxing too for some reason, even if I'm not paying attention I can enjoy having it on as background sound.

King Eric 7

Recently started watching some stuff by Shayne Smith. He's not one of the big names but pretty funny.

Zlatattack

I quite like him.

Can you recommend me something of his? Maybe it was shit luck, but whenever I stumbled upon his bits, they were always so... boring. He's just shouting and making noises.
He's got a special on netflix i enjoyed. Sometimes he can be a bit too much, he's no Dave Chapelle but I still enjoy some of his stuff.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
So we should pretend like him being a sexual predator doesn't taint his legacy at all?
He's funny as feck on stage. If the Youtube clips were spliced with POV footage of him looking pop-eyed, stroking his veiny shaft with drool dripping down his goatee, it would by all means make it harder to enjoy, I grant you.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
He's funny as feck on stage. If the Youtube clips were spliced with POV footage of him looking pop-eyed, stroking his veiny shaft with drool dripping down his goatee, it would by all means make it harder to enjoy, I grant you.
I used to love his stand up, but every time I try watching him now it doesn't feel the same way, I just can't look at him the same anymore.

Anyway for a recommendation John Mulaney is great out of those not mentioned.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Can you recommend me something of his? Maybe it was shit luck, but whenever I stumbled upon his bits, they were always so... boring. He's just shouting and making noises.
This has also been my experience of Kevin Hart. He's just not that outstanding.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I used to love his stand up, but every time I try watching him now it doesn't feel the same way, I just can't look at him the same anymore.

Anyway for a recommendation John Mulaney is great out of those not mentioned.
I had that for a bit, and then I moved past it, cos he's fecking ace.

That's the brilliant thing about male privelege!

But also, more seriously, I think what he did was lower on the heirarchy of sexual misconduct than a lot of other things, if you believe - as I choose to - his assertion that he never did the things without asking first, with due consideration of the power balance between himself as a powerful male celebrity and the people on the wrong end of his overeager todger.

Which makes it a bit easier to adopt an attitude of leniency towards him than some others.

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I had that for a bit, and then I moved past it, cos he's fecking ace.

That's the brilliant thing about male privelege!

But also, more seriously, I think what he did was lower on the heirarchy of sexual misconduct than a lot of other things, if you believe - as I choose to - his assertion that he never did the things without asking first, with due consideration of the power balance between himself as a powerful male celebrity and the people on the wrong end of his eager todger.

Which makes it a bit easier to adopt an attitude of leniency towards him than some others.
This is gonna be a 4 page thread now, not about comedy. FML.

Eriku

This is gonna be a 4 page thread now, not about comedy. FML.
:lol:

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Also, I second Andycoleno9 or whatever's shout for Bill Burr. His voice and delivery alone is fantastic.

Mark Normand is pretty good too. Man, I really need to watch more stuff, too. There's so many good ones out there.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Patrice Oneal is my all time favourite. I also like Ms Pat who has a very funny 20 minutes on Netflix at the minute.

Doug Stanhope is probably the greatest living comedian and has at least half a dozen good shows in various places across the internet. He encourages his fans to pirate his work so it should all be easy to find.

Eriku

Patrice Oneal is my all time favourite. I also like Ms Pat who has a very funny 20 minutes on Netflix at the minute.

Doug Stanhope is probably the greatest living comedian and has at least half a dozen good shows in various places across the internet. He encourages his fans to pirate his work so it should all be easy to find.
How did I not mention Stanhope :lol:

I prefer his older stuff, when he tried to be a bit more political, but he's fecking hilarious.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I saw him live in Melbourne, at a venue where they didn't have enough beer for the audience of several hundred, nor enough bar staff. Eventually most of us gave up trying to buy drinks and had to sit in a hot venue while the pre-drinks wore off for an hour with no top-up.

A fiasco.

Red_Aaron

I genuinely believe Kevin Hart won an illuminati competition to become famous.
My wife put one of his Netflix things on the other day, I didn't hear a single joke in the 90 mins. It was mainly him laughing at himself and making squealing sounds.
If there's a fan of his on here who can find me a clip of his good stuff I'd love to see it because at this point in time I cannot fathom the appeal

Bill Burr is great as is Louis CK
Peak chappelle is great but I thought his recent stuff was a bit hit and miss tbh
Can't stand Gervais stand up, his sitcoms are OK but he doesn't have the real stand ups chops for me