Recommend your longform reads

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I started this on the current affairs section of a basketball forum I moderate, did not gain much traction there but I thought this might be a better place.

There's some quality long read content generated by the likes of The Guardian, The Lit Hub, The Atlantic etc and I thought this might be a good place to share it with each other. You can write a short review or tl;dr elevator pitch of why someone might find it interesting along with your recommendation.

The Guardian | Operation Car Wash: Is this the biggest corruption scandal in history?

This is a long term investigation which draws light on one of the largest, most intricate corruption scandals in the world where multiple levels of Brazilian government officials, past heads of state and CEOs of the state owned corporations are implicated. The writer sheds light on how the parliamentary scheme in Brazil is set up in a way such that corruption is sometimes the only way to hold power and raises a question of what happens when every elected official in the country is corrupt to one degree or another. It also sheds light on how the judicial system of Brazil and a few incorruptible cops worked to uphold the law.

The Guardian | What happened when Walmart left

At risk of looking like I'm plugging The Guardian hard, here is another great read which chronicles the effect a Walmart superstore had on a rural town in McDowell country, West Virginia and what happened when it closed. The usual things like loss of jobs, loss of the biggest source of tax revenue for the county aside, the surprising effect was that people felt they lost their community gathering place when the store closed as the locals used to treat the Walmart as a social place where they'd go and meet people or simply wander down the aisles.

It gets worse that the store used to be the best source for affordable fresh food within a one hour driving radius and the cafes, diners in town used to survive on people coming from surrounding towns driving over to shop there.

Lets keep books out of this thread, there are other places for book recommendations. This thread is primarily intended to share long form journalism.

LA Times | The Secret Life of USC Medical School's Dean

This is an explosive report from the LA Times on the recently resigned Dean of USC's Keck School of Medicine. Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito is accused of hanging out with prostitutes, broken down DJs and other petty criminals doing meth, smoking heroine and other drugs while serving as the medical school's dean and star fundraiser. A lot of the overdose case reports were kept secret by the Pasadena police and Dr. Puliafito is still attending funding events for USC.

The Atlantic | Bill Browder's testimony in full to the Senate Judiciary Committee

This is an exceptional read on the stories of Bill Browder and Sergei Magnitsky, background behind the international Magnitsky act, why Putin would want it repealed at any cost even at the expense of meddling in an US election, the kleptocracy in Russia, the role of the Russian lawyer who met Don Jr, how the Russian adoptions tie in and even the Fusion GPS firm which was recently subpoenaed by the Senate Intelligence committee.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I love The Atlantic's long-form reads. I was recommended two yesterday that I've yet to get around to reading:

The Atlantic | In the Land of Missing Persons

A lot of people, sadly, go missing in the Alaskan wilderness - some of whom are never found; others are never identified.

The Atlantic | My Family's Slave

'I had a family, a career, a house in the suburbs—the American dream. And then I had a slave.'

Neutral

BTV
I love The Atlantic's long-form reads. I was recommended two yesterday that I've yet to get around to reading:

The Atlantic | My Family's Slave

'I had a family, a career, a house in the suburbs—the American dream. And then I had a slave.'
This was such a sad story - particularly because my family always had nannies and maids and they were brought over from the old country :(

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Probably longer than what you had in mind, but anyway...this is a really great account of the history of the Islamic world for anybody not inclined to read a full book. Has a global span and goes well back into the prehistory of the subject:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Islamic-world

2cents

Scout
WHAT IS SALAFISM?

Abstract: Modern-day terrorist groups are widely identified as Salafi. Yet, the often-insinuated causal link between Salafism and violence or ultraconservatism is not tenable, and botches any attempt to understand both Salafism and militancy. More generally, the temptation to score polemical points in perennial theological disputes between Sunnis and Shi’a, Wahhabis and Sufis, Salafis and Ash’aris, and conservatives and progressives serves to obscure a most desperately needed understanding of the growing nightmare that is terrorism. Apart from turning obscure disputes into war cries, such tendentious scholarship—suffer as it does form the fallacy that theology determines social reality—fails to see the flexible and complex roles ideologies play in fueling social and military movements and overlooks real and growing sources of violence.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Vox: Democrats’ push for a new era of antitrust enforcement, explained

Shifting focus to economics, this is a tremendous read on growing concentration of market power with large corporations, how its been destroying the free market ideals of competition, thereby contributing to the sluggishness of economic recovery from the great recession. They show the disproportionately high return of investment being accrued by large firms compared to the rest which is leading to more payouts to shareholders than reinvestment into innovation or commitment to competitiveness, subsequently reducing opportunities for new jobs and lowering existing wages.

This lead me through a rabbit hole, reading through investopedia links on differences between monopsony and monopoly and for the more economically interested it has further links including the CES report compiled by Barack Obama's economic advisory board on the need for increasing enforcement of existing antitrust laws.

This also shows a way for top democrats to coalesce towards a recovery strategy going into 2018, 2020 and beyond with all major actors like Sanders, Warren and even Clinton being major proponents of breaking up and regulating concentration of market power.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is about radicalism in the early Soviet Union, with respect to women and families. The sudden break from a very religious, oppressive patriarchal culture, to on-paper equality and freedom, including no-fault divorce and sexual freedom. The birth of a welfare state that tried to represent women, both workers and non-workers. The hopes and failures of communal living. The gap between Marxist theory/predictions and what ended up happening.
And the inevitable end of the experiment by Stalin.
https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/32...men-in-russia-before-and-after-the-revolution

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I never view Stalin as truly representative of communism, even aside from his paranoia & such like; he was a rotten theorist compared to his Party peers...so much so that colleagues used to tell him to 'leave the policies to us, you're no good at it'. He never forgot or forgave those remarks, of course.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
The Guardian | What happened when Walmart left

At risk of looking like I'm plugging The Guardian hard, here is another great read which chronicles the effect a Walmart superstore had on a rural town in McDowell country, West Virginia and what happened when it closed. The usual things like loss of jobs, loss of the biggest source of tax revenue for the county aside, the surprising effect was that people felt they lost their community gathering place when the store closed as the locals used to treat the Walmart as a social place where they'd go and meet people or simply wander down the aisles.

It gets worse that the store used to be the best source for affordable fresh food within a one hour driving radius and the cafes, diners in town used to survive on people coming from surrounding towns driving over to shop there.
Someone else posted this in this forum already, I think it's been posted a couple of times and it's a fascinating read. Probably my favourite (and possibly one of the saddest) pieces of journalism I have read in years. Heck, maybe it was you that posted it before? Whoever though doesn't really matter, it's worthy of being posted again and definitely deserves to be in the first post of a hopefully soon to be prominent thread. The more exposure the story (and many others here) get, the better.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Scientific American | Tantalizing Clues Point to Inflammation's Role in an Array of Diseases

Pretty good article on how inflammation has co-occurence with a wide variety of illnesses from cardiac function to digestive disorders, alzheimers and depression and even lung cancer. Anti-flammatory drugs have been around for the longest time but inflammation as a biological process is affected through multiple pathways and modifying one could have catastrophic effects in a different way.

2cents

Scout
John Voll - "Islam as a Special World-System". Really great article on how to conceptualize Islamic civilization as a distinct unit of historical analysis - http://fliphtml5.com/jxzl/ndzz

Chairman Woodie

Last edited: