Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

AaronRedDevil

I finally got round to finishing this. I sold my PS4 so I was only able to play it when I went round to my partner's place to play on hers but Covid meant that stopped and I only managed to get up to the end of Chapter 4. Found a cheap PC key a couple of weeks ago and have finished it and just wow. It's a shame that the PC port is so awful because this is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to dip into Online a bit but I feel like I'm going to be disappointed as it seems like Rockstar only care about GTA V still so this might be ignored a bit. :(

Also - the Arthur scene where you're riding with the monologues/song playing. Deep. Rockstar really made you care in this one compared to GTA V where I didn't give a shit about what happened to any of the characters.
I was just listening to that song that plays while you’re riding back to camp before hell breaks loose. Such a amazing moment. This game is a damn masterpiece. Got me so fcking emotional about my horse out of nowhere and the last scene with Arthur. God the feels :(.

AaronRedDevil

I find that it is purposefully done by Rockstar. They tried to go deep with GTAIV and people weren't interested so they've returned the story to being completely and utterly superficial.
Which is a shame since GTA4 story was brilliant and GTA5 was hot annoying garbage.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Best game ever for me. Yeah yeah clunky controls and missions aren’t for everyone but I absolutely fecking enjoyed every second of it and when I did randomly beat @VeevaVee a passer by and get the law unto me, I still had a laugh. Can’t wait to build my new rig and play this on an OLED at 4K60 on ultra settings. It’s going to be glorious.

The score on this is amazing by the way. Just love it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Which is a shame since GTA4 story was brilliant and GTA5 was hot annoying garbage.
What hurt GTA iv was the gameplay. It was too repetitive and lack of diversity in missions was a draw back. I thought rockstar absolutely nailed it with lost and damned and Ballad of Gay Tony though.
However Niko’s back story was great and should have been expanded and in the alternative, I felt zero connection to any of the three protagonists in GTA V. It was simply, 2 bit thieves who go through a lot of of shit to be 2 bit thieves at the end of the game and there is zero consequence for their actions. I think a lot of it is to do with playing with three protagonists instead of building one story.

What I’ll say is that I think RDR was a huge turning point for Rockstar. What I mean is that unless GTA 6 can build the same emotional dynamic between player and character, then it’ll soon stop being rockstars flagship series.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I had to make some space on my hard drive for another game so it came down to uninstalling GTA V or RDR 2. I fancy playing RDR 2 through again so I kept that one.

Jack-C20

I’ve just started this yesterday and got onto chapter 2 . It looks amazing, I can’t wait to get back into it tonight after the match. The controls are totally forgettable though. I feel stupid a lot playing this game!
Not sure if you’ve managed to avoid the spoilers but do everything you can to avoid them going forward if you can. I’d love to play this game for the first time again. I’m most of the way through my second play through.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not sure if you’ve managed to avoid the spoilers but do everything you can to avoid them going forward if you can. I’d love to play this game for the first time again. I’m most of the way through my second play through.
ya I only read the last page or 2. Don’t worry I forget spoilers as soon as I’ve read them. It’s a fascinating game, all my friends give it rave reviews. I’m a big fan of the GTA series.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’ve just started this yesterday and got onto chapter 2 . It looks amazing, I can’t wait to get back into it tonight after the match. The controls are totally forgettable though. I feel stupid a lot playing this game!
Are you playing on PC? I felt the same in the beginning about the controls, but the key ones become natural pretty soon. Most other keys are indicated when you need them (press E to use the mill, or whatever task you may be set). The only ones that are less obvious to me are the journal (J), sachet (B for bag!), and I think challenges/sidequests are under L. (I'm not even sure about that one and I'm in chapter 6 or something. :lol: )

Ali Dia

Are you playing on PC? I felt the same in the beginning about the controls, but the key ones become natural pretty soon. Most other keys are indicated when you need them (press E to use the mill, or whatever task you may be set). The only ones that are less obvious to me are the journal (J), sachet (B for bag!), and I think challenges/sidequests are under L. (I'm not even sure about that one and I'm in chapter 6 or something. :lol: )
sorry I should have said. Ps4. I very rarely give the time to a game but GTA is always a good time. This sounds similar :)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Finally got a chance to complete the last two chapters and epilogue. Absolutely stunning game.

My Arthur had two Le Mat revolvers in his late game, Ebony and Ivory. I made a point of sending John into the final mission with not just those two guns but Arthur's hat. It just felt right that he would be popping headshots in Arthur's memory.

Deery

Dreary
Finally got a chance to complete the last two chapters and epilogue. Absolutely stunning game.

My Arthur had two Le Mat revolvers in his late game, Ebony and Ivory. I made a point of sending John into the final mission with not just those two guns but Arthur's hat. It just felt right that he would be popping headshots in Arthur's memory.
Definitely the best game I ever played,
how did Arthur die for you if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:

Kaos

This game really dragged on for me in the end. I really had to soldier through the epilogue praying it would end..

Its a great game but nakeyjakey is right, rockstar's mission design is outdated at this point, they need to freshen up the formula for their next game.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Definitely the best game I ever played, how did Arthur die for you if you don’t mind me asking?
I went with John so he could get back to his family, then popped off a few headshots with the LeMats, got my ass handed to me by shitface at the top of the mountain and died watching the sun rise. Not too shabby. You?

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
I went with John so he could get back to his family, then popped off a few headshots with the LeMats, got my ass handed to me by shitface at the top of the mountain and died watching the sun rise. Not too shabby. You?
Aw, you got the good ending well played. Naw I went for the money and that bastard Micha stabbed me..

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Aw, you got the good ending well played. Naw I went for the money and that bastard Micha stabbed me..
I can never play games as a "bad guy", even on the second playthrough. Having said that I was a right arsehole when playing as John, especially with the two newbie bounty hunters that stop you and Sadie on the road near Blackwater.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Arthur’s Last Ride is probably one of the most emotional parts of a game I’ve sat through, really got me good and the song bangs

Deery

Dreary
I don’t know whenever this kicked in I never felt a video game experience like it thought I was on to a winner....

Capping boys going down the hill unforgettable.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Some stuff on this page could have been spoilered maybe. :lol: But at least now I know what to expect (and of course I did see coming that Arthur would die).

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Arthur’s Last Ride is probably one of the most emotional parts of a game I’ve sat through, really got me good and the song bangs
One of the best moments in video game history, the atmosphere created was incredible.

Ali Dia

So I’ve spent the last month totally obsessed since :lol: there’s just so so much in it. First play through I just wanted to see the main story and figure out how to play. Second play through I’ve been going really slowly. Breaking horses, Getting trinkets and all that jazz. It’s super and the fact it’s pretty dense for lack of a better word is handy for a lockdown! To be fair on the second play you’re sick enough of the main missions but there’s so much else to do. Cinematic mode travel and fast travel are a big help.

Bosws87

Not the biggest fan of the game, but been using it as a showcase for my new pc build.

Credit where credits due this at 4k ultra at 60frames in some spots looks like a film its incredible.

Cyberpunk may be using more advanced tech but from a visual view, this game is miles beyond.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So I’ve spent the last month totally obsessed since :lol: there’s just so so much in it. First play through I just wanted to see the main story and figure out how to play. Second play through I’ve been going really slowly. Breaking horses, Getting trinkets and all that jazz. It’s super and the fact it’s pretty dense for lack of a better word is handy for a lockdown! To be fair on the second play you’re sick enough of the main missions but there’s so much else to do. Cinematic mode travel and fast travel are a big help.
I hammered lots of side stuff to make the most of my first play through, which is why I'm holding back from going through it again. I've done everything I wanted to. Wish they'd make some fecking DLC. It's so perfect for it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I hammered lots of side stuff to make the most of my first play through, which is why I'm holding back from going through it again. I've done everything I wanted to. Wish they'd make some fecking DLC. It's so perfect for it.
Rockstar have gone away from creating single player DLC. Their position is that extended game time is through online game play alone. Frustrating as it is for some, but considering how much they made out of GTA V online, can you blame them?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rockstar have gone away from creating single player DLC. Their position is that extended game time is through online game play alone. Frustrating as it is for some, but considering how much they made out of GTA V online, can you blame them?
Sort of. Surely making all that money means they have the resources to make even more by selling dlc? Looks like they’re leaving money on the table to me

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Apparently Red Dead 1 remake is in the works using the RDR2 engine. Explains why they went through the hastle of mapping most of RDR1 in the game and apparently alot of Mexico.
That would be pretty great. Would explain the mostly desolate Mexico. Still think it’s a travesty we haven’t had dlc for rdr2 though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ahh damn thought someone might be announcing a next gen update. The wait goes on.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Picked up rdr2 online on the PC a week or so ago, saw it on steam for £4.50 so thought why not as I hadn't touched the game on ps4 since completing main story. Maxed out settings @ 1440p at a decent frame rate* looks super! Forgot how fun the gameplay is.

*wasn't as high as i thought, drop massively in missions it seems.

Last edited:

Realist81

I finally got round to finishing this. I sold my PS4 so I was only able to play it when I went round to my partner's place to play on hers but Covid meant that stopped and I only managed to get up to the end of Chapter 4. Found a cheap PC key a couple of weeks ago and have finished it and just wow. It's a shame that the PC port is so awful because this is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to dip into Online a bit but I feel like I'm going to be disappointed as it seems like Rockstar only care about GTA V still so this might be ignored a bit. :(

Also - the Arthur scene where you're riding with the monologues/song playing. Deep. Rockstar really made you care in this one compared to GTA V where I didn't give a shit about what happened to any of the characters.
I know this is 9 months later but I'm curious about the bolded because it looks gorgeous on my rig (i59600k, 32Gb DDR4, RTX 3070 and an SSD) and I haven't had any issues, beyond some of the controls being clunky, in case you're referring to that but even they've become instinctual now. I jsut wish they wouldn't explain new mechanics in the middle of pitched fights. I had to google how to manually paint enemies in dead eye as I missed the pop-up.

In regard to the game itself I'm loving it so far. I bounced off GTA5 as I found it too nasty and nihilistic whereas this is masterfully done, the music, the atmosphere, the different camp members all being distinct. I'm 40 hours in and still in chapter 2 as I've spent so much time just riding around, doing side missions and hunting. I hope RDR1 gets a remaster and released on PC.

Last edited:

Bosws87

I know this is 9 months later but I'm curious about the bolded because it looks gorgeous on my rig (i59600k, 32Gb DDR4, RTX 3070 and an SSD) and I haven't had any issues, beyond some of the controls being clunky, in case you're referring to that but even they've become instinctual now. I jsut wish they wouldn't explain new mechanics in the middle of pitched fights. I had to google how to manually paint enemies in dead eye as I missed the pop-up.

In regard to the game itself I'm loving it so far. I bounced off GTA5 as I found it too nasty and nihilistic whereas this is masterfully done, the music, the atmosphere, the different camp members all being distinct. I'm 40 hours in and still in chapter 2 as I've spent so much time just riding around, doing side missions and hunting. I hope RDR1 gets a remaster and released on PC.
PC port is fine you just need to optimise the settings theres a lot of useless settings that improve visuals by absolutely nothing but are huge performance hits along with water physics etc.

I was running it locked 60+ at 4k on my 3080 with no problems at all.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Cant wait to jump back into this once the gpu stock goes back to some sort of normalcy. Will get 3080TI and that should give me locked 60 on highest settings for the most part.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I know this is 9 months later but I'm curious about the bolded because it looks gorgeous on my rig (i59600k, 32Gb DDR4, RTX 3070 and an SSD) and I haven't had any issues, beyond some of the controls being clunky, in case you're referring to that but even they've become instinctual now.
A lot of people (like myself) had trouble just getting it launched, but once you spend a few hours googling and screwing around with drivers and whatnot it’s fine. There’s also a couple things in particular that can crater your performance like @Bosws87 said.

The only other thing I’ve heard is the horse riding controls are a bitch to the point some (like myself) preferred using a controller.

Realist81

A lot of people (like myself) had trouble just getting it launched, but once you spend a few hours googling and screwing around with drivers and whatnot it’s fine. There’s also a couple things in particular that can crater your performance like @Bosws87 said.

The only other thing I’ve heard is the horse riding controls are a bitch to the point some (like myself) preferred using a controller.
I've probably missed the worst of the bugs as I was a late adoptor, I only bought the game a couple of months back after Noah Caldwell Gervais waxed lyrical about it and the only issues I've had is, as per usual with Rockstar, the strange control system on the PC. The way the game explains mechanics just as you need them can be frustrating, the first fist fight was not complimentary to poor old Arthur!

Cant wait to jump back into this once the gpu stock goes back to some sort of normalcy. Will get 3080TI and that should give me locked 60 on highest settings for the most part.
Good luck mate, I got lucky and scored a 3070 for £380 on Amazon due to the packaging being damaged otherwise I'd be boned as my reliable old 970 died on me.

The 3070 runs it with everything maxed out, or damn close, at 1440p and doesn't drop below 60 in my experience. Even my missus who normally doesn't care for games keeps stopping to look at it when I crest a rise or there's a sunrise/set.