Red Devils Lite | Belgium Discussion thread

RedDevilMachine

What a sad and poignant moment. 2014 was their coming of age and 2022 was the end of their era. The decline of Eden Hazard epitomizes everything that is the steep decline of this Belgian team. I don't understand why Belgian FA didn't replace Roberto Martinez with a more recognized coach? They had years to try something. Reminds me of England's Golden Generation of 2002 to 2010. Unlike England who has the population, I don't think Belgium will ever produce such world-class players again or at least not again in our lifetime.

Irwin99

You kind of felt this was coming. Just an aging team that was never going to win it; that opportunity was 4 years ago.

Another golden generation that didn't win anything: Portugal late 90s, England mid 00s and now Belgium...i'm sure there are a lot of other examples.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
On the BBC live feed:

Roberto Martinez is being interviewed by television.

"We can leave with our heads held high," says the Belgium boss.

Not sure many fans will agree with that...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lukaku needs to retire after that

MTF

What a sad and poignant moment. 2014 was their coming of age and 2022 was the end of their era. The decline of Eden Hazard epitomizes everything that is the steep decline of this Belgian team. I don't understand why Belgian FA didn't replace Roberto Martinez with a more recognized coach? They had years to try something. Reminds me of England's Golden Generation of 2002 to 2010. Unlike England who has the population, I don't think Belgium will ever produce such world-class players again or at least not again in our lifetime.
It's national team football, everyone has a hard time getting the best managers.

AndyMUFC

The thing about Belgium is the huge difference between this generation and how they’ve generally been in their history.

There’s usually a guarantee that sides with this much quality will produce another group of players but this is one of the first times I can remember where there probably isn’t.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
You kind of felt this was coming. Just an aging team that was never going to win it; that opportunity was 4 years ago.

Another golden generation that didn't win anything: Portugal late 90s, England mid 00s and now Belgium...i'm sure there are a lot of other examples.
Netherlands 98,74

Ainu

Not much left to say at this point. We didn't deserve to go through. Feels like an end of an era, but it's not like it wasn't coming. The last few years were nothing but frustrations. Delighted Martinez is gone, was so fecking sick of him.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The thing about Belgium is the huge difference between this generation and how they’ve generally been in their history.

There’s usually a guarantee that sides with this much quality will produce another group of players but this is one of the first times I can remember where there probably isn’t.
since the 70s they generally always had a few really good players and in the 80s were a very effective team with an elite midfield (Scifo, Vercauteren, Cuelemans), they fell away from being competitive in the '00s then came back with by far their deepest ever generation. It's the depth they will struggle to recreate imo, but no reason they can't produce enough to stay a generally solid team that fits into the wider European second-tier in that rough 8-15 or so bracket.

Going back to a standout low point like the 00s would be a surprise imo.